Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

I want to challenge the notion that human life is inherently valuable and force the thread to actually confront the question of valuation of human life especially in regards to the "monsters" of the OP who are probably doing a lot less harm than their epithet suggests. Even the idea of "inherent" value is problematic, since it suggests a utility monster.

lmao the idea of human life having inherent value is because of the extremely widespread consensus that every individual assigns significant value to their own life and the best way to ensure that you are not deprived of it is to communally prevent the deprivation of life in general, extenuating circumstances notwithstanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

These facts stand in stark contrast to the idea that human life has inherent, ineffable value.

No it absolutely doesn't, it just shows that individuals can value other things higher than human lives. That does not mean that the lives have no value at all.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

What is the value of a human life? From whence does it derive, and to whom does it accrue?

The 'value' of a human life is relative to the personal values of each individual, just like the 'value' of every single thing in the world

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Orkin Mang posted:

the very 'concept' that human lives have infinite value seems pretty against common sense to me. give me a shred of evidence for this one particular propositional declarative statement claim. practically speaking there is no lasting persuasion without mega truth.

who has said that they have infinite value

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

It's sort of depressing that you guys are flailing like this when there has been a lot of well-respected work on the question. I'm arguing against the inherent and necessarily >0 value of human life and I'm the only one who has actually referenced scholarly attempts to find the value of a human life.

Everyone gets what you're arguing against champ, it's just that you are wrong.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

SedanChair posted:

On the one hand, it seems like we have all the people who share in the concept of human community and agree that all human life has inherent value, and on the other hand we have people who cannot see the value of anything unless it is assigned a value by those in power. I'm not sure if there is any thing else to communicate at this point, everyone has their positions.

I genuinely do not understand their stance however. If human life having some sort of inherent value is a principle agreed upon by a vast majority of the world, then doesn't that give it inherent value by definition?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Only if the existence of God being believed by a majority of people in the world makes the existence of God objectively true.

The difference is that "value" is a meaningless concept outside of a social viewpoint. If people by and large do not personally value something, it has little to no value.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Also Effectronica please back off with the personal insults, you've called me a liar and a depressive, and told me to shut up and go away in one post.

Lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Which is in opposition to the notion of inherent value, which is the idea that a thing has absolute value, assigned to it by some universal force or truth, which cannot be nullified by circumstances or the actions of others.

A thing having inherent value and a thing being very commonly valued by many people aren't the same thing, Gold is held to be near-universally valuable but there are problems trying to base an economy off the idea of it being inherently valuable.

I guess we're talking about different notions of inherent value then

• Locked thread