Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Somfin posted:

A few drat good words.
If you haven't already, go back and give Somefin's post a reread because it's full of Truth. I, for one, have never been able to comprehend the logic of those urging that lifetime imprisonment is more ethical than execution, particularly given all the studies that show that long-term isolation/imprisonment might as well be torture in terms of the trauma it causes to one's sense of self and ability to interact with the world. A 16-year-old kid walks through the gates to serve a 50-year term, but what exactly does he walk out as?

As Somefin says, dehumanization is utterly counterproductive to not just post-hoc rehabilitation, but prevention as well. It's a topic I loving hate to bring up because even making arguments against the immediate dehumanization of persons with pedophilic inclinations is so taboo, but that very knee-jerk reaction greatly exacerbates the danger they pose. While it is entirely understandable that the visceral reaction to potential child-abusers is so violent, all it does is push individuals struggling with their hosed up impulses into the margins—which, in our interconnected age, inevitably leads them to similarly-minded online communities that normalize their inclination and increase their potential for actual abuse.

The obvious answer is to offer help coping with and reducing their urges before they reach that point. If you've ever seen the double-take inducing billboards that advertise: "Having sexual thoughts about children? Call 555-555-5555.", that's an attempt at doing just that. An attempt that is severely hampered by our society's incapability to differentiate between the illness and the crime itself. There's no better way to create a real monster than by repeatedly telling someone they are one, and our children suffer for it.

But everyone seems to be going for Argle Bargle's gimmick in this thread. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread