Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

wateroverfire posted:

It's a theme that occurs in a broad range of cultures from primative hunter-gatherer to the modern SJW tumblerites. I literally cannot think of any examples of a culture that doesn't incorporate it somehow. Can you? IDK dude why do you think it's NOT necessary besides asserting that "we could totally not do it, or something, amirite?"

Jesus poo poo you're ignorant. Here's a tidbit for you: In plenty of societies transgressions are primarily dealt with through some form of restitution, usually of a monetary kind, rather than inflicting suffering on the transgressor. Hell, to pick an well-known example, even a society as brutal and warlike as the Old Norse society, you first tried to solve a transgression through the payment of weregild. It was only after that failed that you took up arms, and even then it wasn't because the transgressor deserved to suffer but because not getting restitution would tarnish your honour.

So you're literally more barbaric than the goddamn vikings, which I suppose it's a kind of achievement in itself.

wateroverfire posted:

You pay the price decided by society. More than that is unnecessary and cruel. We don't sentence people to prison rape, though perhaps in some ways it'd be more humane if we did that in lieu of incarceration.

Which this poo poo amply demonstrates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

wateroverfire posted:

Weregild closed the matter through financial suffering, which, hey, if society wants to do that is I guess fine. The old norse didn't say "hey bro we understand you had some urges so welcome back into the fold with love and unity" did they? No they did not.

Also the vikings did some pretty hosed up poo poo quite outside the bounds of their system of justice so idk I think I'm probably not literally more barbaric than they were.

They might also refuse to accept your weregild and come after your rear end anyway, so there's also that.

Nice missing the point there. The vikings did not consider inflicting "financial suffering" (also nice broadening of the concept of suffering so much that it essentially becomes meaningless) to be of importance, what was important was to uphold your honour as the party that had been wronged. This is a pretty crystal clear example where your universal claim that inflicting suffering is mandatory for justice is flat-out wrong.

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 27, 2015

• Locked thread