Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Rape, assault, and cannibalism are all crimes and should not be allowed. But when it comes to psychopaths I have no problem locking them up and throwing away the key. They are not human, and do not deserve to be treated as such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Effectronica posted:

Psychopathy, of course, being defined in the DSM as a consistent pattern of disregarding and violating the rights of others, well, uh, I'm not in favor of locking you up. Personally.

If I murder people because my brain is physically wired in such a way that I have an irresistible desire to rob people of their very existence then you have my permission to lock me away forever, ok?

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Effectronica posted:

I don't think it would matter, since fiction would be irretrievably intruding on reality in such a case.

I am genuinely interested in any examples you have of psychopaths being cured.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Effectronica posted:

You're not describing anything that exists in reality. Psychopathy is (slightly more unpleasant) sociopathy is a subset of antisocial personality disorder. But there are a great many of the estimated 3 million psychopaths in the USA that kill no one and do nothing more than make life worse for the people around them.

I'm not calling for mandatory brain scans and Rorschach tests to be administered among the general population. I'm specifically talking about people who have been found guilty of acting on whatever impulse compels them to kill.

Effectronica posted:

You are describing one of the theories behind serial and spree killers, but unfortunately, there is no evidence for it, thanks to limited sample sizes. Several prominent serial killers are widely believed to be psychopathic by professionals, but it's all speculative.

I can speculate that people who commit mass murder for one stated misanthropic reason or another are fundamentally different from you and I and should be treated as such. I believe human life is precious which is why these people should be permanently separated from society with no chance of release until such a time that science has progressed to the point that we can verifiably cure them of their condition.

• Locked thread