Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I think that there's plenty of compassion for monsters. It just only comes out among people that knew them. For everyone else, the monster is not really real, not really a person. Their hypothetical suffering exists in an abstract form and serves a cathartic purpose. 80, 90% of people who talk at length about torturing pedophiles on the internet wouldn't even consider doing anything to one in real life, even free from any sort of consequence. Because fundamentally they are not the sort of person who could actually go through with beating someone to death. Which is a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Typical Pubbie posted:

Rape, assault, and cannibalism are all crimes and should not be allowed. But when it comes to psychopaths I have no problem locking them up and throwing away the key. They are not human, and do not deserve to be treated as such.

Psychopathy, of course, being defined in the DSM as a consistent pattern of disregarding and violating the rights of others, well, uh, I'm not in favor of locking you up. Personally.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Typical Pubbie posted:

If I murder people because my brain is physically wired in such a way that I have an irresistible desire to rob people of their very existence then you have my permission to lock me away forever, ok?

I don't think it would matter, since fiction would be irretrievably intruding on reality in such a case.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Typical Pubbie posted:

I am genuinely interested in any examples you have of psychopaths being cured.

You're not describing anything that exists in reality. Psychopathy is (slightly more unpleasant) sociopathy is a subset of antisocial personality disorder. But there are a great many of the estimated 3 million psychopaths in the USA that kill no one and do nothing more than make life worse for the people around them.

You are describing one of the theories behind serial and spree killers, but unfortunately, there is no evidence for it, thanks to limited sample sizes. Several prominent serial killers are widely believed to be psychopathic by professionals, but it's all speculative.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

wateroverfire posted:

Indeed you are a massive nerd, OP. But it's not your fault just the inevitable consequence of all the factors leading up to your nerditry at this point.

Also, nothing wrong with being a nerd. =)

I think the author has it wrong, though. The Demon knows it's evil, knows it's doing evil things, and is totes ok with it. Is enjoying it, in fact, usually right up until it encounters consequences in the form of the player characters. If it hypothetically were given a choice whether to be evil or not it would choose to keep being evil at any point before it became clear the PCs were going to successfully harvest it for XP. From what perspective could we pity it that wouldn't just be masturbating to the appreciation of our own virtuous moral reletavism? The demon doesn't give a gently caress what else it could have been.

Many of the people we supposedly should pity don't give a gently caress either. They're contentedy (if not happily, maybe) acting according to their natures right up until they catch consequences. Your pity is something you do because emotional wanking is fun sometimes. There's no particular reason to treat them inhumanely but IMO no reasons for warm feelings about them either.

Couldn't you just have chopped these two paragraphs down to "pity is masturbation"? Omit needless words, man.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Arglebargle III posted:

So would you say that the world would a priori be a better place with 12 billion people in it? 20 billion? 100 billion? If human life inherently has value, after all.

Sure, just like the world would be a better place with ten million exact duplicates of the Mona Lisa

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Arglebargle III posted:

The world currently possesses effectively infinite duplicates of the Mona Lisa of indifferent quality, and a large number of high quality duplicates. What benefit would you say you derive from them? Not to get too caught up in your poorly chosen analogy but I would like you to at least contemplate this reckless assignation of value.

I can't help but point out that people are more unlike copies of the Mona Lisa than not, and that one of the important ways that they are unlike copies of the Mona Lisa is that they compete for finite resources with other people.* Other than maple and paint, of course, which one might say that copies of the Mona Lisa compete for indirectly, not having agency, which incidentally is one of the many ways in which they do not resemble people.

*More or less but not exactly equally unlike copies of the Mona Lisa.

(Your analogy is terrible.)

The Mona Lisa has value. This is essentially indisputable. Surely, we should be maximizing value as much as possible by turning everything that is not what we absolutely need to live into copies of the Mona Lisa. Do you disagree? Why?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Arglebargle III posted:

So you agree that such a thing as too many human beings is possible?

Did I say that?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Arglebargle III posted:

A yes or a no would be adequate.

When did you stop beating your wife?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Toasticle posted:

I wish that were true. There are plenty of people out there perfectly willing to do horrific things to those they deem not "people" and that list seems far larger than the number of actual 'monsters', and the difference between them and non-humans goes from mass murderers all the way down to skin color and 'acted like a fag'. The fact that a large chunk of society sees people who completely destroy the lives of other people as pillars of society is loving frightening. By that I mean if you destroy someones life by legally taking everything they own you are just a captain of industry and a person to be admired. Just so long as you don't do it at gunpoint. Hell, how many people think its perfectly ok to kill a mugger? If you say it is, are you really agreeing that whats in your pockets is more valuable than someone life? I've been called a pussified human being for saying I could never kill someone over a wallet or a TV. My drivers license and credit cards are nothing. (And before some dipshit asks, yes *actual* self defense is fine. But your wallet is not your life).

The number of people willing to write off other humans as undeserving of the most basic of compassion seems to far outnumber the number of actual 'monsters'. My pulled out of my rear end analysis is not only a lack of empathy and compassion but humanity in general treating those qualities as being a pussy or weak. And it goes far beyond individuals, while I know he regrets it the Chris Rock OJ comment I agree with. I find IS(IS/IL) revolting but I can understand why they exist. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who watches movies like Red Dawn (The original) and comes out thinking about how it showed what being the occupied does to the human psych, how it turns highschoolers so numb they actually kill one of their own, not some gently caress YEAH USA OORAH :911:. We turn Iraq into a smoking pile a rubble and the number of people who refuse to even acknowledge that they'd do the exact loving thing if say Russia did that to us is depressing.

Okay., but ask those people if they would actually do it, and they start to make excuses or look like you like you're crazy. It's, for them, insane to actually desire the visceral sensation of murdering someone, even if they're cheering about how they would totally do it.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Arglebargle III posted:

I want to challenge the notion that human life is inherently valuable and force the thread to actually confront the question of valuation of human life especially in regards to the "monsters" of the OP who are probably doing a lot less harm than their epithet suggests. Even the idea of "inherent" value is problematic, since it suggests a utility monster.

Until the costs of human life (I conceive of it in terms of externality but I'm open to other suggestions) are explored the naive assignation of value to human life regardless of circumstance will inevitably lead to the reducto ad absurdum I brought up on the first page: if more humans is better, infinite humans ought to be infinitely good.

You failed to deal with the basic problem that such an argument is obviously insane once we look at anything else with value of some non-monetary kind.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Arglebargle III posted:

It would help your argument if you actually bothered to make it.

I did. You proceeded to flail about and perform an embarrassingly obvious gotcha.

Here's another one- Niagara Falls is beautiful. Why don't we terraform the Earth to maximize the number of Niagara Fallses, and thus maximize the value of it?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Arglebargle III posted:

I knew you thought you were being clever with that remark, but I didn't realize just how clever you thought you were. Congratulations on discovering the law of diminishing benefits? I'm not sure how you think your bad analogy impacts the current discussion. If you were to explain it, perhaps using written words, it would enlighten us all.

Your goal is to use the repugnant and/or sadistic conclusions to demonstrate that human life has no value, in order to get to the meat of defending child molestation as not so bad after all.

But if we use the same logic, we would have to conclude that Niagara Falls is not beautiful, which means that your proposition is meaningless because it is bugfuck insane, and you will need to find another way to prove that human life is valueless.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Arglebargle III posted:

Wow, I really overestimated your understanding of the conversation. I thought you were trying to demonstrate diminishing marginal value, which was confusing because it supports my argument.

If there were 7 billion Niagara Falls, would the 7 billionth be as valuable as the first? If we had to demolish Notre Dame de Paris to construct the 7,000,000,001st Niagara Falls, would you argue that this instantiation of Niagara Falls had inherent value?

I don't know what this has to do with your spirited defense of raping children as maybe OK, but by a circuitous route, you have managed to come to what anybody with a brain they hadn't crippled willfully would have in an instant- that value is not always quantifiable and amenable to mathematical operations. Thus, your entire argument falls apart, because it relies on a quantified value that you have not shown to exist. Instead, you have shown a monetary value, which is another crazy argument. Nobody who says "human life has value" is thinking of their potential lifetime earnings except someone who is looking through a glass, blindly.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Arglebargle III posted:

We've arrived at this juncture faster than I anticipated.

If you believe that human life defies qualitative valuation, could you at least attempt to qualify the value of a human life then? If you reject "how much" on a conceptual level, can you provide an answer to "what?" If not, your argument is nothing more than an assertion of faith. Would you call yourselves pacifists, by the way? If you know what deontological ethics is, would you identify with it?

Okay, so you're trying another tactic, but you're demanding other people do all the work for you. Why don't you propose some qualitative values for a human life, and then we can go from there.

As for your other questions, I am a nihilistic mass-murderer.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

wateroverfire posted:

$100,000,000.

$100,000,000 Pesos.

IDK it's probably a continuum but there you go. Go to Ask / Tell and ask an actuary what a human life is worth. Prepare to be really depressed by the questions they ask you and the answer they give. You might want to lie about your particulars to avoid becoming suicidal.

The idea that a human life has a finite value, in certain contexts, isn't even controversial. It's a necessary component, for instance, of government planning for everything from traffic intersections to environmental rules to food safety regulations and etc.

I said qualitative.

Arglebargle III posted:

I've provided figures from the US DoT and DHHS. If you want to make an argument then go ahead but as the conversation stands you've asserted that human life has an unquantifiable value and provided no explanation for what you mean by that or even a basic argument to support your assertion.

And yet you said "qualitative" earlier, so it seems that you, along with your fellow self-made madman wateroverfire, have some serious issues knowing the definitions of words. But it should be obvious- human life has a value, in that we value our own life, killing requires justification, etc. but when we attempt to quantify this value, we end up with nonsensical results, or results that contradict the spirit of saying that human life has value, or results that, like actuarial definitions, are completely unrelated to what people generally mean (for example, although the money paid to the families of dead soldiers is $600,000, you cannot pay $600,000 if you murder someone and thus avoid imprisonment). Therefore, the value of human life is not quantifiable, in the same way that beauty is not quantifiable. We can articulate relationships and greater or lesser values, but we cannot reduce them to numbers.

wateroverfire posted:

Sure, purely for the feels yeah the life of every special unique snowflake is precious and irreplacable and etc and nothing bad should happen to anyone ever even people who manifestly do not believe the lives of others have any value and demonstrate that by doing terrible things. Because we're all different and different is special and something something justice. I guess.

Okay. I grab a mass-murderer, provide you with incontrovertible evidence of their crimes, an affidavit that guarantees you will face no repercussions for any actions you take, tie the murderer to a chair, and give you a crowbar. Do you beat them to death, or not?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

wateroverfire posted:

What would a qualitative value of human life be and why would that be important?

Well, I was figuring that, since ArgyleBargain III used "qualitative" in a sentence, that he knew what it meant. I made a mistake in doing so. In any case, you haven't really addressed the problem that you can't pay the actuarial average, or an actuarial computation of the victim's value, to avoid prison time for murder. If that was the actual value of a human life, you'd think this would be part of the legal system. There's also the issue of where this leads us when all's said and done, but-

wateroverfire posted:

IDK. Is she hot? That would influence my calculation.

Maybe if you identified a particular mass murderer from history...

Oh, goody, you dodged it~

Answer the question. You can assume that they're arbitrarily evil and have committed arbitrarily bad crimes.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Arglebargle III posted:

I don't know how to qualify the value of a human life, I was approaching the question quantitatively. You rejected the entire concept of quantification, so I asked you to qualify it or accept that you were making a statement of faith only. Then you asked me to make your argument for you.

There is no problem here. The argument "X is not part of the American legal system, therefore it cannot be true," is ridiculous on its face.

Okay, so you do want to have a society where you can pay to kill someone, perfectly legally.

All right, so let's assume you have a significant other, and I jump out of nowhere, murder them with a hacksaw, and give you five million dollars in cash (the average value of an American life, which is definitely overpaying!!). Is this a fair exchange?

Or, hell, let's say we have people who actuaries value at under ten thousand dollars of worth. I can easily finance a yearly, twice-yearly murder habit with a solid UMC job. Is this acceptable?

Hey, you even said that human life is valueless earlier, so clearly, there would be nothing wrong with strangling you to death, right?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Arglebargle III posted:

Are you really this obtuse or do you just have bad reading comprehension?

You're getting really mad about things that actually happen all the time. How much does it cost to launch a missile from a Predator drone? How much does it cost for a polluting industry to lobby for the right to release pollutants that later lead to an increase in mortality? If we could divide the cost of their lobbying efforts by the number of premature deaths downwind/downstream, what sort of number would we get? Is it acceptable? These are the decisions that polities have to make all the time.

There are definitely societies that would call this fair! I would say that giving me all that money probably isn't what the DoT had in mind when they calculated the value of an American life at $6 million. I think you'd probably be overpaying me. Now would I want to make that exchange? I don't know, this is a hypothetical. But I think if you actually proposed this deal publicly (supposing it was legal) you'd be surprised at the response you'd get. I think there would not only be people willing to trade the lives of other for $5 million, there would be people willing to trade their own lives for $5 million.

Welcome to actually having a conversation though, glad to see you do a 180 on your previous position that the value of human life is unquantifiable.

Wait a second, you flipped my post upside down. You son of a bitch! I was specifically setting up more and more ridiculous scenarios, and you agree with all of them until you get to the point where it involves directly threatening you. Goddamn.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Arglebargle III posted:

Well yeah. Obviously the victims of violence have a different perspective on the value of their own lives than other actors or society as a whole. Although some individuals see their own lives as having low enough value even to themselves that they consciously choose death for a variety of reasons. These facts tend to cast their weight against the idea that there is an objective, inherent, net positive value to a human life. Have you been paying attention at all?

Hold on... you're telling me that you have a difficult time understanding the difference between abstract and concrete? Color me S-U-R-P-R-I-S-E-D.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Arglebargle III posted:

You keep doing these smug one-liners and when pressed to explain what you mean you give up or retreat.

But please, enlighten us as to the difference between abstract and concrete value.

That's not what I said. You're making inferences, but you're too stupid to do so, and should stop. When people say "human life has value", they are not talking about any concrete person's life. They are talking about an abstract entity that stands for human lives in general. So showing that individual, particular lives have different values to different people does not do what you want it to do.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

wateroverfire posted:

I agree!

Hmmm. It's almost like murder is a crime against the state and there's a separate civil obligation that, yeah, is going to involve compensating survivors for the loss of value of their loved one.

I bash his/her/it's/xir's head in and escape from the stupid hypothetical.

Okay, so killing people is not actually a crime, it's only when the state doesn't like it that it becomes a crime. This is how things ought to work, in your view. The only good framework.

And you dodged it again, because you're uncomfortable with the thought of killing someone and don't really want bad things to happen to bad people, you just want them to maybe happen so long as you're not responsible for any of it. Well, at least you're a decent person deep down, under all the self-imposed insanity.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

wateroverfire posted:

I answered your question with all the forthright seriousness it deserved.

You should probably stop commenting on other peoples' mental health btw.

You're the guy who wrote that bad things should happen to bad people, and then refuses to go along to the natural conclusion of that belief. You're also the guy who insists that, contrary to what the vast majority of people believe, the general rule is that killing is legally neutral and only certain types of killing are criminal in nature, rather than killing being generally illegal and only legal in specific cases. You're also the person who thinks that anything which cannot be valued in terms of numbers, and indeed, in terms of money, is valueless.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

wateroverfire posted:

Dude get back on your meds, seriously.

Those are all things you have said in this thread, carefully rephrased to make them less palatable.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

You said that murder was a crime against the state, and not a crime against a person. This implies that killing is generally legal and only specific instances that the state deems harmful are illegal.

You asked why non-quantitative value would be important if it existed, which implies that you don't think except in terms of things you can assign numbers to, and the only numbers you have assigned have been cash values.

You sneered at the idea that nothing bad should ever happen to anybody, which naturally implies that there are people bad things should happen to, but you treat the idea of actually doing those bad things to such people with contempt. What would you call someone who repeatedly insists he wants a refrigerator but refuses to ever do anything to get one?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

wateroverfire posted:

What do they give to schizophrenics? You need that bro.

You know, I can sympathize. If I'd said any of those things, I'd be looking for some way to get out of it too. But this is pretty pathetic, you know?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Arglebargle III posted:

See, you're retreating again. You started out with the position that humans lives have unquantifiable value, now you admit that the value of a given human life can be quantified, and now you admit that I've shown that the value of a given human life can vary. You've retreated to asserting that "human lives in general" (what is that?) have value in an abstract sense (care to actually argue for your assertions at any time ever?) and that this is somehow problematic for my argument. (Again, you're not good on specifics.)

No, I categorically reject that. I have never said that you can translate said value into meaningful numbers that still reflect what people mean when they talk about people's lives having value, which is what is meant by "quantifiable" in the heads of people who don't run eagerly to say that rape and murder might be cool, you guys. Then you jump into dishonestly slicing off part of my post again. I think I should start lying about what you say in return, because that's about the only way to make your arguments intellectual as far as I can see.

But you finally get down to the full blast of the trumpet. The part where you show that you are unable to read plain and simple sentences, or else are a compulsive liar. It's sad, and what's even more sad is that you can't tell what your own argument is once you post it. You said that because some people kill themselves (which you speak of in a way that suggests you're a depressive and this is you rationalizing your self-loathing) and people value self-preservation generally, human life has no inherent value. You are unable to respond to the point that people aren't talking about specific people's lives when they say "human life has value", and you're crowing about your victory.

Well, you know, you can have your victory, OK? You can say that you've won to your heart's content, especially if it will get you to shut the gently caress up and go away.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Arglebargle III posted:

You haven't made a point. You make bald assertions, and every time you're asked to justify them you either retreat or post something gob-smackingly stupid. If you'd like to go ahead and EXPLAIN what "people are talking about" (lol) when they say "human life has value" then you might make a point, but I at this point I doubt you have anything more than a vague idea of what you mean.

Also Effectronica please back off with the personal insults, you've called me a liar and a depressive, and told me to shut up and go away in one post.

I don't know what exactly you expect. I cannot put it any clearer than to say that when people say the words, "human", "life", "has", and "value", in that order, they are not talking about any particular person's life, any single life. They are not talking about an average of all persons. They are talking about an abstract concept, an idealized human being which has no specific characteristics. It is this concept, free from anything entangling, which is what they mean by it having value, because each individual person will have different things that lead people to value them in lesser or greater amounts, especially in different contexts. I suppose that you want proof of this, you want evidence of something that is blatantly obvious from simple context and human interactions, because you have shattered your own intellect in the pursuit of- what, exactly?

quote:

On the other hand, is killing or otherwise victimizing people wrong in the first place? There are so many of them; too many really. Obviously I don't want to be raped and/or murdered, but from an objective standpoint what's the net effect of, say, some random kid being violently and painfully killed? What's the environmental externality this potential person would have inflicted on the world? What would he really have accomplished in a lifetime of gorging on cheap calories, mindless consumerism and unfulfilling relationships? What if, god forbid, he or she should have children? And, in the long run, and with the impenetrable loneliness of the human condition, does it matter what pains or indignities this putative person suffered in his or her moments or hours of being dispatched? Not in any tangible sense. Maybe we should rethink the harm, or indeed the value of the "monsters, ax murders, and pedophiles" of society.

Of this. Mhm.

I suppose there is one piece of evidence. You could ask people if the value of human life would increase if everyone were a [pick your own resolutely moral person] to determine if it is a concrete averaging or not, and when they look at you and realize that there is something deeply wrong with you, you can yell at them. Granted, you asked for a rhetorical defense but didn't know that rhetoric includes nasty things like insults, shouting people down, and tricking them into saying increasingly vile things, because rhetoric is about winning people over and persuading them, not about the search for the unvarnished truth. And frankly, the things that you've said all on your own have been so vile and so stupid that you deserve far worse than what I can fling at you.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Arglebargle III posted:

Who are they, and what evidence do you have that they mean this when they say... that? I think it's pretty funny that you think you've tricked me into saying anything. I am "laughing out loud."

My evidence is that I have had conversations with other people, in which they have expressed those sentiments, and from the context, it is absolutely clear what they are referring to. I suggest you try it sometime. And, no, I specifically said that you've said all the abhorrent poo poo on your own, boyo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

wateroverfire posted:

Where in those basic moral principles is your outrage for the victim? The need for retribution? Those are also basic human things.

So you've finally come around to the idea that murder is a crime against a person, eh? But an eye for an eye blinds us all, and it in turn denies the possibility of forgiveness. So where does that end? What kind of society would we have if we denied forgiveness and focused on revenge?

• Locked thread