Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

Effectronica posted:

I think that there's plenty of compassion for monsters. It just only comes out among people that knew them. For everyone else, the monster is not really real, not really a person. Their hypothetical suffering exists in an abstract form and serves a cathartic purpose. 80, 90% of people who talk at length about torturing pedophiles on the internet wouldn't even consider doing anything to one in real life, even free from any sort of consequence. Because fundamentally they are not the sort of person who could actually go through with beating someone to death. Which is a good thing.

I wish that were true. There are plenty of people out there perfectly willing to do horrific things to those they deem not "people" and that list seems far larger than the number of actual 'monsters', and the difference between them and non-humans goes from mass murderers all the way down to skin color and 'acted like a fag'. The fact that a large chunk of society sees people who completely destroy the lives of other people as pillars of society is loving frightening. By that I mean if you destroy someones life by legally taking everything they own you are just a captain of industry and a person to be admired. Just so long as you don't do it at gunpoint. Hell, how many people think its perfectly ok to kill a mugger? If you say it is, are you really agreeing that whats in your pockets is more valuable than someone life? I've been called a pussified human being for saying I could never kill someone over a wallet or a TV. My drivers license and credit cards are nothing. (And before some dipshit asks, yes *actual* self defense is fine. But your wallet is not your life).

The number of people willing to write off other humans as undeserving of the most basic of compassion seems to far outnumber the number of actual 'monsters'. My pulled out of my rear end analysis is not only a lack of empathy and compassion but humanity in general treating those qualities as being a pussy or weak. And it goes far beyond individuals, while I know he regrets it the Chris Rock OJ comment I agree with. I find IS(IS/IL) revolting but I can understand why they exist. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who watches movies like Red Dawn (The original) and comes out thinking about how it showed what being the occupied does to the human psych, how it turns highschoolers so numb they actually kill one of their own, not some gently caress YEAH USA OORAH :911:. We turn Iraq into a smoking pile a rubble and the number of people who refuse to even acknowledge that they'd do the exact loving thing if say Russia did that to us is depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

Effectronica posted:

Okay., but ask those people if they would actually do it, and they start to make excuses or look like you like you're crazy. It's, for them, insane to actually desire the visceral sensation of murdering someone, even if they're cheering about how they would totally do it.

I'd like to believe that but the number of people lynched or dragged behind trucks or being raped by a cop with a broomhandle makes me think otherwise. It could very well be a case of only hearing about things like that because the media loves to shove it in your face but there seems to be despeessing amounts of stories like that recent school with all the buried kids found under it that makes me think there's more out there you don't hear or even know about. I honestly hope I'm wrong.

Mandy Thompson posted:

I probably wouldn't kill a mugger or a burglar but I can understand and feel sympathy for those that do. I should hope the burglar or mugger knows that if they continue on that life path, someone will kill them. Its not so much that it is just, but it is a natural consequence of doing something dangerous in a country full of concealed carry permits.

If someone honestly feared for their life I would would too under the self defense thing. I don't for people like that fucker in Texas who blew away some kids who had broken into his neighbors house. And while I can't cite anything atm I'm pretty sure its been shown that people don't think of the consequences if they get caught because they don't think they'll get caught in the first place.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape
Yeah many people seem to think socio/psychopath=killer. Not having a connection or care for others doesn't mean they can't recognize its in their best interests to follow the law. They may have no reservations about loving people over legally and know being in prison isn't any fun.

I'd not be surprised at all to find most of the CEOs and Wall Street/bankers are sociopaths, they just gently caress people within the law.

• Locked thread