Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pram
Jun 10, 2001
*opens up the sh/sc parts picking thread*

ah, i see alereon has updated the wiki with the latest haswell processors. also make sure an oem copy of windows 7 is in my newegg car t :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
hmmm SLI or no?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
cant afford sli right now. they cut my hours at best buy

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
wow what a huge library of games i'll be able to play. theyre so cheap on steam lol. im gay or something

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

hmm, blue el ee dees or red? red is faster but blue is colder so idk

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

better get a 1500W power supply!!!!

pram
Jun 10, 2001
blue naturally, they come with this lil baby ive had my eye on anyway

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
a hackintosh is just as good; in fact it's even better

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cold on a Cob posted:

after that she basically invites herself to my place (yeah!) so i take her home and i'm showing her around and she saw my overclocked gaming desktop computer all covered in blue leds and she said 'i bet that computer is expensive, i can tell' and i was like 'yeah it's pretty powerful' (these are exact quotes btw i am not paraphrasing)

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
i want to make a lot of money by making an ipad app, but also play cutting edge video games

what i'm getting at is what parts do i need to make a hackintosh??? my budget is 500, plus like 80 for a monitor which is the best monitor for 80? or should i buy more ram or something? i don't have a monitor but i can hook my new computer up to my tv right?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

make sure you get at least a thousand watt power supply so you can keep those LEDzzz running while you are pooning neeewbs in DotA 2

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

this is my gaming rig

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

that aileron sure is a yospos mod

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

someone build me a new av

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the ultimate showdown gentlemen. two pastes enter, but only one is worthy to cool this gamers rig

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i cant find a cool enough case. thinking of making my own minecraft-inspired casemod :coal:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
where do i find ram heatsinks that can connect to a liquid cooling system

Crushable Object
Oct 28, 2010
Crush responsibly.
guys i think i f'd up

i bought ddr4 sticks but the board only takes ddr3 but the sticks are the same width just with different notches so I cut new notches on the bottom so they'd fit in the slots and it looked great but

i pushed power and there was smoke what do I do pls help

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

duckfarts posted:

where do i find ram heatsinks that can connect to a liquid cooling system

bitspower makes them, they use 1/4" tubing, and they are about $60 and cool that corsair set of ram so for only $120 you can have watercooled ram

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Wild EEPROM posted:

bitspower makes them, they use 1/4" tubing, and they are about $60 and cool that corsair set of ram so for only $120 you can have watercooled ram

sw8

question: do i really need an SSD if im just going to ramdisk everything to 32GB of ram? it seems like a waste when i could just connect a 4TB drive in its place

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

duckfarts posted:

sw8

question: do i really need an SSD if im just going to ramdisk everything to 32GB of ram? it seems like a waste when i could just connect a 4TB drive in its place

Still need an ssd to load the data into your ramdisk after startup, so just pick up the fastest drive available, the ocz vector. Preferably 2, and preferably in raid0.

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
i got a bag of these gold plated motherboard jumpers in the checkout line, those do something right

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
had to put a hold on building my gaming rig, the computer wouldnt start and the customer service agent suggested I rma the motherboard since they have a 50% failure rate. posting from my surface 3 right now, its pretty sweet so its nbd really

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

crusader_complex posted:

i got a bag of these gold plated motherboard jumpers in the checkout line, those do something right

normally you would use those to replace the non-plated jumpers on your motherboard, but unless the pins are gold plated too they won't help. best to just get a fatal1ty board and not worry about it and keep the bag for spares in case the stock ones burn out

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
the amd stuff is cheaper should i go with amd? i'll only be doing some light gaming with it anyway, stuff like dota and crysis and cod:mw5

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

colbylol posted:

the amd stuff is cheaper should i go with amd? i'll only be doing some light gaming with it anyway, stuff like dota and crysis and cod:mw5

nah, skip it unless you can get a multi-processor motherboard which is actually a great way to make a p ownage system

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

The boxed cooler is just fine.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i think i might spring for a flat-screen monitor this time.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

well, my kids are escaping through the rotten holes in the floor of my trailer, but at least SHSC helped me build the ultimate wow rig.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

hey guys just finished my new rig

it sticks out from under my desk and makes vibrating noises from whenever the bass drops, and i hit my foot on the glass side of the case cause of this, but i think this was a pretty good build

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

pram posted:

blue naturally, they come with this lil baby ive had my eye on anyway

gently caress yeah!!! I've got that for my own rig (built it myself, natch :cool:). here's a shot of it up and running:

mm, you can almost hear the fans whir...

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

PleasingFungus posted:

gently caress yeah!!! I've got that for my own rig (built it myself, natch :cool:). here's a shot of it up and running:

the sick nastyest CD player ever

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Share Bear posted:

hey guys just finished my new rig

it sticks out from under my desk and makes vibrating noises from whenever the bass drops, and i hit my foot on the glass side of the case cause of this, but i think this was a pretty good build

5 screens... that's a good start, i guess.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

alienware gaming laptop

pram
Jun 10, 2001

PleasingFungus posted:

she's a real beauty. good rigspiration

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I have to use a box fan to cool my rig because the cpu fan is broken

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

ugh i don't know if what graphics card to buy guess I'll go with whoever has the best rendered hottie on the box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldenTeeth
Jun 3, 2013

I'm the pensive looking one on the left. That's me. I'm doing serious business in there. Look at me go.

Cat Face Joe posted:

ugh i don't know if what graphics card to buy guess I'll go with whoever has the best rendered hottie on the box
if that fails try buying the card with bigger numbers on it

• Locked thread