Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
If you do not kill Dagolar I will personally end you :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Man, this brings me back. I never played all that many of these (such as this one), but what progress I made was down to stubbornness and not realizing when I was cheating back then.

"The game says Dragonlance in it so that means it's a good idea to give EVERYBODY a dragon lance right? :downs:" *Copies a character and loads them into party over and over to hand out cloned Dragonlances*

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I start off killing a couple slimes which don't cause any problems.

I go to the only door possible and a little ratman says: "Hi, I want to help you murder everyone for no discernible reason other than boredom!" You know what I say? WELCOME ABOARD NEW BEST FRIEND! I KNOW WE WILL HAVE A LONG A PROSPEROUS RELATIONSHIP.

Not pictured: Me fighting 4 guards with empty eyes, equipping their necklaces and going through the door. The door doesn't shoot me because I have magic necklaces.

I go in the only door available and WAMMO. The second in command is here, and insane, and a spellcaster!

Nice hair, brah. You look insane.

Stay a while. Stay forever! Muahhahahaha. CrazyHair summons a bunch of monsters and teleports to a new room.

Around this time I remember Kornec is a cleric. These are undead. Might as well re-deaden them with his Turn Undead spell. 1000 damage to everything undead. Awesome, 6 kills.

Crap, I missed one. This is a shadow which can only be hit by +1 items. I don't want to cast anymore spells from Kornec, so I instead just wait for Kug to get his slow rear end over there with his +1 sword to do the killing. Kug is currently trapped in a web cast by some bullshit slime.

Fights over, OUR NEW BEST FRIEND IN THE ENTIRE WORLD WHO I LOVE AND CHERISH comes back to hang out.

Lets go punch CrazyHair in the face. There's no way he'll teleport and get away from us a second time!

We chat about his insane-ness.

That page is blank.

Oh yeah, insane. I forgot.

Turn undead. Punch the 3 slimes.

Hmmm, maybe this machine is bad and I should break it or something? (I gently caress up and don't interact with the machine, if I was ever able to in the first place).

There is a zombie in a cage down here. We head in, and instead of attacking us he can talk! Sorta.

There you have it. Dagolar is a dick, but a dick stricken by guilt. He killed his own brother.

You want to come with me too? To find Dagolar? WELCOME ABOARD NEWEST BEST FRIEND. WE'RE THE THREE BEST FRIENDS THAT EVER COULD BE.

What?

NOOOOOOO BEST FRIEND YOU BETRAYED US THIS IS NO FAIR I HATE YOU NOW

Keep your pants on you slow, rotting rear end in a top hat. I'll get there.

I need to loot everything not nailed down first.

And punch more guards in the face.

Dead eyes I tells ya. Almost like they are under some kind of mind control. Or they got lobotomies. Teenage lobotomies. Guess I'll have to tell 'em I got no cerebellum.

Time to loot more.

Dagolar experiments on animals. I like animals. poo poo, my main character is a bug for fucks sake.

I found this. No idea what it does. I'll probably wait till I can make eggs and use it in place of salt because I already have high blood pressure. Or maybe I'll put it in my shoes to get the smell out overnight.

:brain explodes:

And now there is a giant flame wall here and I have no idea how to get through. Time to start clicking until I figure it out. Maybe I'll powder it the door.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Spermy Smurf posted:

And now there is a giant flame wall here and I have no idea how to get through. Time to start clicking until I figure it out. Maybe I'll powder it the door.

You should ask New Friend for help! I'm pretty sure zombies are fireproof.

Also, if you explore Dagolar's labs there's an apparatus somewhere that you can use the powder in to make more of his signature slimes to beat up for xp.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
^^^ Yeah, didn't do the slime thing much. Did it once, forgot to screenshot, far too lazy to go back and do it again.

I forgot to go do something.

poo poo, forgot to remove my necklace before talking to the prisoner...

Wonder what the other two said. This guy just whines and asks me to go kill whatshisface, and refuses to let me help him. So I kill him for funsies. Things like this are probably why I dont ever get all the side quests in games...

Back to the flaming wall. I click on it and THE BEST FRIEND IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD just walked right on through.

Even though he is smelly, charred, and kind of slow, he really redeemed himself here. Time to go kill Dagolor and CrazyHair if I can find him.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

I move in, BEST FRIEND IN THE ENTIRE WORLD in tow.

Because he loves me as much as I love him!

Awww, I love happy family reunions.

Hey BEST FRIEND, you may wanna hang back a sec...

Brother hugs are the best hugs

He's really conflicted. Maybe Dagolor should be nice to his brother and we can all live happily ever after.

...ooooor not.

Dagolor kill BEST FRIEND IN THE ENTIRE WORLD he must die

What the hell did I do? You're the crazy poo poo you turned him to dust. Also you killed him the first time.

You're as crazy as CrazyHair over there.

Thank you. CrazyHair, talk some sense into him please.

That's not how I would have opened, but whatever.

Okay, he went off the deep end.

He probably won't ever talk about him like that again...

I bet this is my fault too, somehow.

And so it begins. That's a LOT of slimes.

Here's a gif of most of the fight. I hilariously end the big threat immediately. It ends with me desperately looking for the only 'Cure Light Wounds' pear that I can find for Aishlinn.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Aftermath, leaving the secret lair and taking the secret tunnel out of the sewers. Sweet sweet freedom coming up next update!

Thats... odd. But about what I would expect from this whackjob.

I got some badass stuff here.

Pretty awesome wand, does great damage and usable by no one.

Now this scroll is gonna be sweet! Usable by no one.

Living cloak, repels projectile attacks.

A dagger that gives better damage. Yes, thief dualwielding swords.

Dagolor's wand of mind control. Can take over someones body and fight with a -6 penalty. Just not worth it... Usable by no one.

So since all this awesome poo poo isn't usable by anyone I will sell it. And you should all know that I blame each and every one of you for not telling me to roll a fricken wizard.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Wizards are the setting's main antagonists! They're responsible for turning the world into a giant wasteland! We can't be wizards, we're good guys!

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Yep. In Dark Sun, wizards are the evil guys! On the other hand, what you may call a player mage is a Preserver. They don't suck the life out of the world when they cast spells.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
So in about 12 hours I will be exiting the sewers and getting to the outside world.

Since you are all god drat experts now (when it is too late) is there anything I should know?

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Well, for one thing, as nice as those new toys are, that cloak would really be better on the spellcaster, as being shot with an arrow is really one of the main threats to them if you otherwise keep them back from danger. I notice that my namesake is still using a bone sword, while the obsidian ones do the same damage, they will never break.

Coming up on the outside, make sure you talk to everyone. you need to be on the lookout for a set of large gemstones that have a use further on down the line. DO NOT SELL THEM. You'll know em when you see them.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Totally do Genies Curse next. I remember really liking the sprite-work at the time (then finding out a cousin worked on some of it like a decade later).

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

If i had a working copy, i'd totally want to play Stone Prophet again.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
A-ha! So there IS a need for SSLPs of oldschool DOS RPGs! I wanted to do some but I was afraid nobody'd read them :ohdear:

Spermy Smurf posted:

So in about 12 hours I will be exiting the sewers and getting to the outside world.

Since you are all god drat experts now (when it is too late) is there anything I should know?

Not doing/failing the main sidequests will bite you in the rear end.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Pierzak posted:

A-ha! So there IS a need for SSLPs of oldschool DOS RPGs! I wanted to do some but I was afraid nobody'd read them :ohdear:

Not doing/failing the main sidequests will bite you in the rear end.

I would read all of these if someone else did them.

Sidequests? Dologor was a sidequest right? Totally pointless and I could have just skipped outside a bit earlier.

That reminds me; I should go talk to the skull Elders to see what happened to them after the source of their magic died.

And if they are still alive there is always genocide. Who am I kidding. I will do that anyway and hope I dont need to come back here. Someone tell me if thats a bad idea.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
I wouldn't mind seeing the end of Stone Prophet myself; always got pretty far in, but there was a point late in the game that would cause the game to crash.

Come to think of it, I think the first DnD game I ever got to finish without a fatal bug getting in the way was Birthright: Gorgon's Alliance.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
You get some nice XP from clearing Dagolar's lair and some decent magic items. The game is a little stingy with good equipment, so sidequest loot can make a huge difference. It's a pretty open ended game once you get through the sewers, too. There's a good chance you will stumble through most of the major sidequests before you complete the main plot milestones to get to the endgame.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Oh yeah, as far as directions, once you exit the sewers you'll want to head north through the next few areas (you'll know where you're going when you get there.) After you're finished there, explore the areas to the southeast, there's a guy wandering around you really want to meet.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
If you want to have a mage without making new characters, human dual-classing is implemented in this game. Since your thief is human, you can change her into a preserver. The cost of this would be having her lose her thief abilities until she exceeds her current level as a preserver, and no further advancement as a thief.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Ah, this game.

I remember well that the path to true power in this game was to make a bunch of multi-class characters.

All non-humans with 3 classes (2 for the half-giants, but they were their own kind of OP).

Also that clerics were a complete joke compared to druids.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

mauman posted:

Ah, this game.

I remember well that the path to true power in this game was to make a bunch of multi-class characters.

All non-humans with 3 classes (2 for the half-giants, but they were their own kind of OP).

Also that clerics were a complete joke compared to druids.

Aren't the only gods to draw divine power from to cast cleric spells the evil wizard lords who wrecked the planet? Athas sound like a bit of a shithole.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
What a sad state of affairs to see two brothers come together like this.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Alpha3KV posted:

If you want to have a mage without making new characters, human dual-classing is implemented in this game. Since your thief is human, you can change her into a preserver. The cost of this would be having her lose her thief abilities until she exceeds her current level as a preserver, and no further advancement as a thief.

I dont think the thief even really has any abilities. If she does, I dont know how to find them. Backstab doesnt seem to work much better than facepunching. Of course half the poo poo I fought till this point was slimes...

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Pvt.Scott posted:

Aren't the only gods to draw divine power from to cast cleric spells the evil wizard lords who wrecked the planet? Athas sound like a bit of a shithole.

It's a shithole, but it does breed powerful characters. You're average 18 year old adult has 3 levels of some sort of class (usually fighter) if my memory serves me right.

My favorite Dark Sun story is the one where an army of Githyanki had the oh so bright idea to invade Athas. After they got their collective butts kicked by the rampaging horde of badass psionic desert survivalists, they sealed the astral portal to Athas with the magical equivalent of sealing a mineshaft with a nuclear bomb. And then for good measure hung up a magical sign saying "DO NOT ENTER, EVER!!". Which is also the cannon explanation why crossovers with Dark Sun are so rare.

Also, the (non-dragon worshiping sycophant) clerics generally serve/worship the elements directly. For some odd reason though the developers forgot to give them higher level spells. Hence why they suck compared to Druids in this game.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

I pop out of the sewers in the middle of a garden/farmland.

Guards guard the gate to the east.

Same for the north gate.

I chat with an old serf to gain his knowledge. I wish I could just eat him to gain his knowledge, but alas.

"You should talk to One-Eye, he's super smart. He hangs out in the middle."

I go near him, he motions me over.

Yet another person who wants to use our muscles for their own gain.

I accept the proposition because that's what I do.

Ah yes, the large "Temple of Doom" thing that looks like we should put a magic stone of some kind into it? Yeah, I saw that.

"I will go get the gem, but you have to let me follow you when you leave."

Just kidding, it was in my shirt.

I'll toss it here on the ground for you to pick up because you have waaaaay too many items to carry.

*looks at magic stone with a hole in the top. *
*looks at big magic gem that I was just handed that looks like it'll fit the hole*

Do I put it in the hole or murder every guard in the area so that I can leave?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
But wait, there's more!

A lot of the serfs don't want to talk.

I find a shopkeep out here. Weird, but whatever.

He is apparently the richest serf in the history of the world. I unload everything on him, but keep some random crap as keepsakes (a skull, bones, lever, Dalogors powder...) I now have about 100,000 ceramic money things.

One eye wants to chat, what a kindly old man.

He tells us about the desert and how it's so bad out there.

Merchant caravans? Sounds like I should loot liberate some goods from them.

Sink worm? Can't be any worse than the Drain Hair I pulled out of the shower this weekend.

4 seconds later he trusts us and agrees to help us out.

So what way do we want to leave. Also what about the gem? Do I care to have One-Eye distract the guards or should I just murder them?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Someone said earlier to escape north, so that's what we're doing. I forgot, so sorry for slowing down the updates by waiting for a response!

I wonder what kind of cunning plan OneEye has cooked up? I bet there is magic or something involved. It's going to be awesome.

I'll hang back easily within sight while OneEye goes on alone to unleash his plan.

That was his plan? "Haha made you look!" :negative:

I forgot to let the serf that gave me the gem catch up. I wait for a bit. You can see him down bottom.

Kug gets bored.

And now One-Eye remembers he has something for us. A scroll of armor. Kind of useless.

Thanks for the help... I couldn't have done it without you. :downs:

We get to the desert and our serf-friend says "Later bitches, I'm outtie 5000. Take it sleazy."

What? Moving sand? No one prepared me for this! *dies*

The much-feared sand worm comes flying directly at us!

Slaying Man'tis punched it thrice and it died. No one else even moved.

So here we are. In a desert with only the two jugs of water that I filled up waaaaay back in the slave pens.

I learned there is a map feature about 90 seconds ago. We're bottom left (I think).

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Mar 24, 2015

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
There is a corpse right here, lets see what he's got. Oooh, neat. A scroll with dire warnings!

Few things here:
1) Ratmen in the sewer and Elder Skulls said much the same thing about the army.
2) 'heroes'? In sarcastic quotes? gently caress you.
3) Your most trusted servant died, and kind of sucks at message-bearing because of that.

Some nosey old bastard comes over to say Hi. Actually, he tells me he read the scroll and believes that the Ostrich approach is the way to go.

He doesn't invite me, but we go to his camp and repeat the same drat conversation word for word.

I'd hate to fight that thing. It's huge.

An exit is to the east.

There's a ratman walking around the center in a circle.

Northeast is another exit. Not pictured is a third exit due north.

Oh, it's not a ratman. It's a lizard.

Ah, Grey Isles. That sounds interesting. Where is it?

Of course! A tunnel! Mind showing me where it is?

That's convenient.

And then we find out why the lizard is so pissy. His tribe was taken over by evil merchants who tricked his chief into single combat, then magic'd their champion and won the fight easily. Now they rule the island while the other lizards are slaves.

And also with you. Or something.

We talked about the town so much I figure we should go hang out in the town for a bit. Maybe we'll find a bar, get our drink on, gently caress some bitches...

Take me to your leader. I have business.

Note to self: Crazed halfling seer. Lets chat with him.

Chahl is the village leader.

The town has water for everyone, and a renowned Well-Master.

Chahl is a strong warrior. But a little slow upstairs if you know what I mean.

Ah, he's an idiot. I got it. I was unclear before.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Oh god the world got huge and I have no idea wtf.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Well, here goes nothing. As far as I can tell there are a dozen or more areas here. Saltlands, red clay, couple cities, dragon city, oasis, a hotspring, lavaland, and crap like that. I'm going to wing the poo poo out of this and save often, so someone tell me if I screw up badly.

What are you talking about?

Oh, thanks for the heads up. I'll get right on saving everyone as soon as whoever wrote that note that used sarcastic quotes around 'heroes' apologizes. :mad:

So the visionary is not a crazy halfling and you put a lot of faith in him. Got it. Who is the rear end in a top hat who keeps interrupting?

Oh. You have an eyepatch, you're evil. I'll kill you later most likely.

And you have no respect for the idiot leader.

When is this attack happening?

There is plenty of doubt.

So do exactly what I learned in the slave pens? Fine. Where are the villages?

So you want me to do all this crap but you have no idea where to begin.

Opposing thoughts on how to face this coming storm.

I'm gonna need my palm greased if I'm going to help you.

Wooo, experience!

Thanks, I'll start now if you'll shut the poo poo up.

You gather information, I'll do all the hard work. rear end in a top hat.

Stop talking and let me go do stuff.

Nice face paint, James Hellwig.

Gimme whatever it is that will help me, then you can ramble on about whatever you want.

Watery shaft. hehehe

Riddles are too clever for me.

Tell me my fortune, fortune teller!

But I found this stone sitting here in the city. Do you think this could be one of the standing stones with glittery whatever-the-poo poo-he-said?

There is a place to buy bows, armor, and weapons. All of them suck so bad it's useless.

Cool, a cleric. I've got a cleric too. Are you as useless as him?

Whats that? You want me to run an errand for you? Fine. I'll do it. Whatever.

And now we leave the city....

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Go here first, assuming you haven't already done so:

There's a guy wandering around in the desert that way that will help you solve the mystery of the big weird donut stones, which will be a huge quality of life improvement for you as you play. There's another guy around there that gives out small fetch quests with some decent rewards, too.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Forgot some screenshots. Whoops.

That's a nice well, too bad I dried it up! Muahahaha.

The dude said there wasn't just sand under the city, lets see what he means.

That's a nice gem. I'll take that. (It's on me because I am in the process of picking it up.)

I can talk to him, but I'm tempted to turn undead just on principle.

And so begins a tale of woe and betrayal.

A'Poss sounds like a bigger jerk than Dalogor was.

How can I help?

Retrieve heart crystals. I've read the Druss the Legend stuff, I know exactly what this is. It's simply the tale of Shul-sen and Oshikai. Shul-sen was bound to the world by evil mages, her shade unable to cross the bridge and find Oshikai. A tale of heartbreaking love.

Tristram has hers still (and I see you didn't tell me where you rear end in a top hat), and yours could be anywhere. Faaaantastic. I'm a glutton for punishment so I'll undertake this most sacred of quests for the sake of true love.

lol jk, what reward do i get?

K, now I am going to randomly wander throughout the huge map and see what I can do.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Alright, on the advice of Gabriel Pope I went to the red sands.

They sure are red!

Almost immediately I run into ths guy.

My reputation is so great that this guy all alone in the desert has heard of me. Another guy who thinks I'm part of the veiled alliance...

"Show me anything magic and I can tell you all about it!"

Huh, the rod can teleport from obelisk to obelisk? Neato!

And here's a metal detecting wand. I have no idea what this is for.

Oh, and this gem for the obelisk that we just talked about.

I put it where it belongs.

I find a merchant. It's the merchant that I am supposed to get or deliver something to or from for the cleric in the first town.

He gives me 500 ceramic pieces for the delivery.

And he needs spell components. I will keep my eyes peeled for them.

A percent of 200 ceramic? I have 100,000 ceramic in my purse right now. Ah well, it'll be experience!

There is a dude with a huge scorpion over there. Lets go chat.

Its almost as if the scorpion is obeying his commands. That's impossible though. Everyone knows they cannot be tamed.

Ah, apparently they can be tamed... I want one!

I have assloads of money, give me him. Of course you don't want money. You want something I'll have to go fetch.

Fine, I'll go look for salt. Refined salt.

I went north. No idea what this place is, it's essentially empty except for up top-left there is a character.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
The forums just tweaked on me, having problems updating.

We have something like 70MB of images on this page alone, and I don't have a single GIF so I'm going to not post until we get to a new page.

Anyone want to tell me what the metal detector rod is for? I recall there is buried treasure, but it's spelled out where that is, so I can't need the rod for that right?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
One more can't hurt....

The only person in this area of the map looks very familiar... Where have I seen him before?

Oh yeah. This guy. What the hell is he doing way out here? I'll go ask him nicely, I'm sure he will be reasonable.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
They do recycle sprites quite often in this game. It doesn't mean it's the exact same guy.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Nice! I didn't know that there were Dark Sun DOS games. I kinda expected some more intrigue out of it, but murdering fools is good, too.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

I don't think I was supposed to do this, but whatever... Someone tell me if I just broke the game please.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
A lot of times the "optimal" solution to a quest looks that way, so it's hard to tell what exactly you've done, but I think that's probably not it. The main plotline is 100% intact, but there's a better way to resolve this quest if you can talk your way into meeting the boss first.

Remember, your overarching goal is to find allies to band together against Draj, and there are a lot of rapidly cooling bodies there which might have had some potential allies...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Gabriel Pope posted:

A lot of times the "optimal" solution to a quest looks that way, so it's hard to tell what exactly you've done, but I think that's probably not it. The main plotline is 100% intact, but there's a better way to resolve this quest if you can talk your way into meeting the boss first.

Remember, your overarching goal is to find allies to band together against Draj, and there are a lot of rapidly cooling bodies there which might have had some potential allies...

I loaded a save when the game crashed loading a new screen. I've gone back a ways, and I'll approach this with some more tact...

• Locked thread