Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
The metal detection wand gives a way of peacefully resolving a quest in one area. Of course, you can do that then kill the guys anyway because they have good stuff to loot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
If you mean the guys digging in the hotspring, I already murdered their faces and cant seem to get the wand to do anything other than glow brightly no matter where I stand.

I am such a failure at this game...

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest

Spermy Smurf posted:

If you mean the guys digging in the hotspring, I already murdered their faces and cant seem to get the wand to do anything other than glow brightly no matter where I stand.

I am such a failure at this game...

What you would have done is give the templar the wand so that he can see that there's no metal to be found there. He'll then leave with all his soldiers, and the wand has no use beyond that. Killing all of them is probably the better solution since you get more experience and the templar has a good shield to loot. Not to mention that these guys are slave drivers for Draj so they're bad guys anyway.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Alright, going to hack together an update since using that rod crashed the game and I had to reload a little ways back. I've only explored 4(?) of the areas so far, and all of them gave me "go fetch quests" one way or another. A lizard woman who needs a tribe, a guy with a scorpion that needs salt, a merchant that needs monster body parts...

Anyway, here goes nothing. My motto has been: If they are from the city, they die. May not be the best motto, but I figure I can fight them now or later.

I move north near the guy that looked familiar....

Hah! It is him! And he remembers us! I tell him I hacked through waves of guards to escape.

He thinks we're BFF. I tell him we have matters to discuss.

And now he begins babbling, praying I'll let him live. But I do like treasure... it's a conundrum.

Ah, dragons eye. This is the treasure I remember for some reason. It's one of two parts of the entire game that really stuck with me for 20+ years and I don't know why.

I got the info, and this guy killed how many slaves? I dislike people that have to do with slavery. The only people I hate more are people from the city. PREPARE TO DIE!

He blows a whistle or some poo poo and guards appear out of nowhere to protect him.

I hit them like a pinata. This guy has a few things, nothing spectacular.

I move to the west and find a messenger wearing city clothes trying to run away from me. I stop him to ask him questions.

He summons a monster that Aishlinn stabs in the back, then Man'tis kills the messenger before he can escape.

It's signed by Petchul. Isn't that the inscription in Dino's wardrobe way back in the slave pens that says "DO NOT TRUST PETCHUL"?

I move northeast and come across what looks to be a slavers camp. I think I said it before, but I hate slavers. Oooh, but look! A templar. Someone from the city. I hate cityfolk more than slavers!

Lets go talk to the leaders. NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS, TAKE ME TO YOUR LEADER.

Not pictured: Me interrupting them haggling and bitching about prices. I offer to buy all the slaves, the Templar gets pissed that the slaver would even consider it. The templar recognizes me, I tell the slaver to side with me and he can have whatever the Templar has on him.

Phew. That worked!

Another magic whistle, guards from the city appear!

Oh no, those slavers are outnumbered 2 to 8! They have no chance!

Now the guards are outnumbered 8 to Kug.

Slaying Man'tis decides to get in on this.

Aishlinn users her new favorite spell. Wall of Fog. It basically makes people stop shooting at them with archers and forces them to walk into the wall of fog where Kug stands with her awesome punchability. She did 66 damage in one hit during this fight, but I was too shocked to grab a screenshot.

The slavers continue to shoot at the city guards.

One of the slavers down there died. Kug will avenge you, poor slaver.

Kornec helps. The elemental is useless, just so useless. It did 10 damage once but that was it.

Kug arrives like a god drat avalanche.

Slaying Man'tis loots everything he wants. Hint: Nothing. It's too tedious to sell 200 articles of crappy guard gear for $10 when I have $100,000 in the bank.

drat right we're good warriors.

Free the slaves, join us against the city!

gently caress up #1: Not asking him to come with me. I think he would have helped in the next area.

And now it's begun. I cannot go back to town because if I do the final battle will be triggered. (I think)

I move north and find a merchant caravan.

Everyone raves about Larissa the seer. I go to her.

tl;dr

I go rest up because I want my dudes fresh for spell-casting in case I hit something that needs murdering.

This is that idiot-leader Chahl's sister I think.

This is when I realized these people were elves. Look at his ears. I just told another slaver elf to go to town because I didn't want him slowing me down.

This guy has a bunch of magic items, including a gem for the merchant caravan area. I buy everything, then realize I can talk to him to learn about the magic items.

A cloak? I dont know what it does. Kornec has it on.

A magic orb.

Soulcrusher, a 1d8+2 magic weapon. Kug use. Kug crush.

He has no idea what the magic gem is. I do!

Pretty ring. I don't think it actually does anything.

Another gem or something.

A bow that has a pretty name. Not sure it actually does anything. Kornec has it.

Maybe this will stop me from being poisoned?

You graverobbing sack of poo poo. Kornec has it.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

I move east and find a spring. A beautiful spring.

Except there are evil cityfolk there forcing slaves to dig!

I move close, someone pops out of the sand and warns me to stay away. I keep going.

I demand to see the templar.

None of your concern, cur!

He didn't like that and combat begins.

Aishlinn makes a wall of fog between us and the archers. The archers move closer, then Kug bursts through the wall of fog and smashes them to poo poo.

Huh. Maybe I'll take that shovel. It might come in handy. Mayhaps to dig. Maybe for treasure. In the dragon eye.

No, don't run away, give me something magic first assholes! :argh:

This is the shield that was mentioned as being good. I don't really see it as good. It does the following: Resist fire. Half damage from fire, +3 to saving throws vs fire. It says it has an armor class of 3 however, when I equip the drat thing it SUBTRACTS 3 from my AC. So Kornec is chilling out with a -1AC. Can't have that, so I don't equip it. Someone tell me if I'm being dumb here.

Hey, more shovels! I'll bring both in case I break one.

Heading north brings me to a town.

And the game glitches here or something. I have the extract in my inventory. I've tried handing it to her and everything, but it doesn't seem to work.

What up, RandomTownGuy#1? You're weird and your city has no guards. That's messed up. I'm going to go talk to the mayor.

So long story short: Wymris the mage took over the town with mind control or some poo poo. He will release the spell if I get him some statue pieces. I'm already going to fetch about a hundred different things, so what's one more to watch out for?

And now we're all caught up. I think I'll keep heading north until I can't anymore.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Erm, AD&D has it where the lower your AC, the better it is. -1AC is actually good.

3e changed it to more AC is better.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Mar 25, 2015

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Spermy Smurf posted:

So long story short: Wymris the mage took over the town with mind control or some poo poo. He will release the spell if I get him some statue pieces. I'm already going to fetch about a hundred different things, so what's one more to watch out for?

Are you going to kill him afterwards? Because he should definitely go.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

IAmTheRad posted:

Erm, AD&D has it where the lower your AC, the better it is. -1AC is actually good.

3e changed it to more AC is better.

What the gently caress.

Thanks for this. I'm a loving pro at this.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Spermy Smurf posted:

What the gently caress.

Thanks for this. I'm a loving pro at this.

On that note, the lower your THAC0, the better it would be too. You want your AC and your THAC0 to be as low as you can possibly get.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
You don't have to worry about triggering the final battle for a long, long time. There are two major villages that you have to ally with to trigger the endgame, getting the slavers to join in is completely optional and doesn't progress the main plot. (It might trigger a reward in the treasure house in Teaquetzal, I forget.)

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Lets go north-ish. Not much of interest, just a few Lizards to the left.

We meet someone running for their life who warns us that monsters are here and nothing more.

Scorpions don't scare me.

They do, however, absolutely destroy Aishlinn with 30 damage of poison. Ouch.

The lizardmen want gladiators. I'm a gladiator, but saying that has got me into trouble in the past so I keep that on the downlow.

I don't know who Arant is.

Ah, so they sell gladiators for profit. That's kind of a dickish thing to do.

They won't tell me who hired them.

But they have a statue piece. Interesting. And very needed.

I try to talk him down.

18,000? Whatever. I should probably kill these guys, but they are willing to deal so I'll just spend the cash.

I have no idea what gladiators they are talking about, and they don't want to talk anymore. I guess I'll go find Arant at some point and come back here.

I go north and find a really interesting area.

There's a drum circle. Dirty hippies.

Couple guards with tents that I am unable to interact with.

Some...thing... on the ground.

I'm getting a king-kong kind of vibe here.

And that settles it. King Kong.

And there is a bridge I am unable to cross.

Every guard stops me, says the same thing, then lets me walk around unimpeded. You can see a horn that I am able to interact with, but I just keep walking.

It's a grappling hook! I know what to use this for!

But first I need to see if there is anything under that loincloth.

Deploy grappling hook!

I'm too far away to talk, and it took me about 5 minutes to figure out how to get down to her.

Crap yeah.

He's a strong one, mister grinch.

OH SNAP

They go down like bitches.

Some guy shows up, angry that I did what I did.

He gets Kug'd and Kornec'd

He has some good armor. No more getting stuck in webs and poo poo for Kug!

I chat up the smokin hottie.

I knew she sounded familiar!

Woooooo free spells!

Yeah, I gotta go back there anyway.

These guys don't do anything. I tried every option with them and go nothing. I kill them, they dissappear. I tell them to give me everything they have and I get zilch. They're not slavers, so I just let them live.

And then I chase them around like cattle because they are scared of me. I killed their god, so they just run from me.

The horn is useless now.

I'm going left.

That's a lot of guards. I think I just found Arant, didn't I?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
And that's 40MB of inline images. My phone shits the bed when I view this thread on it.

Is there a number of images I should keep each page to? Everyone OK with 80MB of images per page?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

I move north to see if this guy is actually the dude with the gladiators.

But... you said you were a guard.

Can I just go meet your commander already?

"Short one" is politically correct.

Found the short one.

poo poo like the following makes me laugh.

Your guards suck, dude.

That's just awesome.

That guard is certainly more than knocked out.

So about those gladiators... The ones for the lizards.

Of course you have them.

I'll go chat with them and brb

Will do!

What are you doing here?

Good answer. And where are you from?

I know Gedron.

Yeah, he's got mind control going on. Why not escape and be free?

Ah, that's actually a really good reason not to escape. What about the statue?

Why not escape and kill him?

Fine, you won't escape and I know some lizards who really want to buy you. I'll go buy you myself and deliver you to the lizards!

10,000 for gladiators? That seems high. And like gently caress I'm giving you a magic sword.

Hows 8000 sound?

Woooo! I'm a slave-owner now! Arant gathers his men and leaves, thinking he's rich with 8000 ceramic pieces.

They left the dead guy.

The game has a different idea of what the word 'dead' means than I do.

I OWN YOU MOTHERBITCHES NOW.

gently caress. I have to go kill Wymeris and not bring these slaves to the Lizards that want them. There's a sidequest that just got axed I think!

Yeah, I got both pieces. Wanna fight about it?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Alright, I have another 100 images queued up.

New page, or just post? Anything people want to mention about how badly I'm stumbling through the game?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Do we know what to do with the pieces this guy wants? If not, let him do his mojo and then kill him. You're going to kill him either way. What's the worst that could happen?

Other than that, I have no preferences on posts per page, nor do I have anything particularly insightful about D&D, Dark Sun or this game in particular to help with.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
You're not doing that badly. When I first played this as a kid I did a lot more wandering around in the desert before I wrapped up the statue quest in Gedron.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
The AC thing was funny, but you got that sorted out. Please murder the hell out of Wyrmias, he sounds like a jerk. Then kill the dude you bought the statue piece from. Or if you can't get all the muneys by murdering them, sell the gladiators, get the ceramics, THEN kill the slavers. They're probably going to put the gladiators in Durj's army. Or whatever the dude's name is.

e: Can you go back to the starting area and see what's up with that weirdo who swore up and down you were with the veiled alliums?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Pvt.Scott posted:

Do we know what to do with the pieces this guy wants? If not, let him do his mojo and then kill him. You're going to kill him either way. What's the worst that could happen?

I figure the statue pieces make the rest of the medusa-like statue in the middle of town that I sort of half took screenshots of.

RedTonic posted:

Please murder the hell out of Wyrmias, he sounds like a jerk. Then kill the dude you bought the statue piece from. Or if you can't get all the muneys by murdering them, sell the gladiators, get the ceramics, THEN kill the slavers. They're probably going to put the gladiators in Durj's army. Or whatever the dude's name is.

e: Can you go back to the starting area and see what's up with that weirdo who swore up and down you were with the veiled alliums?

I haven't tried going back to the arena, but I doubt I can since that's where the huge army is coming from. I'll try.

Gabriel Pope posted:

You're not doing that badly. When I first played this as a kid I did a lot more wandering around in the desert before I wrapped up the statue quest in Gedron.

The statue quest was seriously 100% poo poo luck. I have no idea what I'm doing. I am just moving north and east a bunch, figure I'll quadrant this whole drat area out and then I won't have to travel waaaay right and then waaaay left to do some stuff. I'm at the point where I will start clearing the west-and-north side of the map. Then I'll hit the southern areas and hopefully not have that many side quests that I need to go chat to XXX or YYY about.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Spermy Smurf posted:

The statue quest was seriously 100% poo poo luck. I have no idea what I'm doing. I am just moving north and east a bunch, figure I'll quadrant this whole drat area out and then I won't have to travel waaaay right and then waaaay left to do some stuff. I'm at the point where I will start clearing the west-and-north side of the map. Then I'll hit the southern areas and hopefully not have that many side quests that I need to go chat to XXX or YYY about.

You've stumble into a decent counter-clockwise route around the map. The only thing you're missing out on are the two exits from the Red Sands area you first explored: there's a decent early game sidequest to the south and a late game level side dungeon to the east (which you don't really need to bother with until you've explored some more anyhow.)

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

I give him the statue pieces and he's all nice and just releases the city like he said he would. I think he's a pretty good guy, probably just misunderstood.

Woooo!

But you just released the city, why the hell would I want to fight you? There is absolutely no way this could benefit me.

But I do enjoy punching people and I'm pretty sure this is part of the quest, so....

Oh snap

Note to self: The statue is alive and I am scared of it.

You big jerk. You used my love for punching things against me!

So he's going to let us live, consolidate his power, then kill us the next time he sees us? Someone give me one reason why I should let him go and become more powerful. No one?

Guess that settles it. Engage punching button.

I don't understand any of this quest. He is amazed that I didn't let him walk away and rule the world so he could kill me at a later date?

To be fair: He punched the hell out of Kug. Kug is at 20HP from 145ish. Insane. If he had hit any of the other characters they would have died and I would have had to reload the save.

Countless shards? I have a feeling someone will pick up all the pieces and do this exact same thing again.

I go talk to the mayor. I just did so much poo poo you still need me to go tell the god drat gladiators that they can come home? Send a fricken pigeon or something.

LADY I JUST SAVED YOUR SISTER. LOOK AT THE BOOK. NO? ARGH. Fine, I'll go get the stupid gladiators.

Hey guys, still not talking? I wanted to tell you that you won't be getting the gladiators but you don't want to talk so I guess you'll never know.

I killed him. Ally with me, the city is planning on wiping out the slaves.

Also gimme a reward.

Finally.

What up Gladiator? You made it home! Time for that reward...

I am forging an alliance, join me.

Wooooo!

Experience is always helpful. Too bad I need 80,000 experience to level now.

Oh, so now you talk to me? Your sister is alive. I tried to tell you earlier but you were a stone cold bitch to me.

Thanks. Also, your sister is prettier than you.

I move the curtain thingy, and go into the hidden room.

Hmmm, looks like there is something under the rug.

I switch to our helpful thief, Aishlinn. Your time to shine!

What the crap. I hate this game. Yes, she's a Thief/Preserver now, but she's a level 7 thief for fucks sake.

Lets try a different approach.

Useless PSI-Bracelet. But the Gem is a known item, and the sword is +2 and has some kind of evil enchantment on it (life drain?).

Now I can speed travel to Gedron. Yay.

Lets go back to the main starting point and then we'll go west to see what there is to see.

Eye of the dragon huh? I'm going to have to search forever to find this. I have no idea where to begin.

3 characters here. I'll chat with them all.

This guy is rude, sells salt, doesn't say anything important. I buy salt for 1800 ceramic pieces. Now maybe I can go buy that giant scorpion and have NEW BEST FRIEND IN THE WORLD.

A lizardman following a mini-tornado. Odd, but lets chat.

Visionquests. Makes sense I guess. Good luck starting your tribe, brah. I happen to know a lovely lady who wants to join a new tribe.

Chat with this guy and he reveals he forgot his own name because he is trying to take the path of enlightenment. The way to enlightenment is to follow the number 2 that has been carved into the sand. Guess I'll follow the path and see what happens.

I tripped major balls and got 500xp. Not bad!

Oh yeah, dragon eye.

A'Poss. Isn't that the guy who is evil and attacked that Shadow in the bottom of the well in the starting city waaaaaay back when we started this whole thing?

And another scroll for a spell I already know.

Now I'll go north or west or something. Who knows.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Gabriel Pope posted:

You've stumble into a decent counter-clockwise route around the map. The only thing you're missing out on are the two exits from the Red Sands area you first explored: there's a decent early game sidequest to the south and a late game level side dungeon to the east (which you don't really need to bother with until you've explored some more anyhow.)

Yeah, I poked my head into that far east map and said "maaaaybe in a little bit" because it looked scary. Then I forgot to look south from the red sand on my way back. They are on the agenda though!

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Okay, huge update coming. I think I'm just about done and need to go hit the last village that I stumbled upon.

Got 2 more areas to clear, then city time. I think I am way overpowered for what's left now though.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

First of all I go back to talk to Larussa, the female lizard we chatted to ages ago. I found her a new tribe!

Totem is a dust storm.

Ah, you like dust storms I see.

He's to the west. Our friendship is all I ask for.

Later gator. hahahahahaha

*Run to chat with tribemaster again*

His tribe has arrived, Larussa has arrived, and he had a vision of us fighting for our lives. And no, he won't help. Thanks for nothing, rear end in a top hat.

I head north as I said I would. This looks to be a gigantic oasis, a templar and his guards surround it. An odd-looking dude stands on his own to the right. I go see what he wants.

"I'm a druid in charge of the oasis but I haven't done poo poo to help and I want your help and I can't give you anything and no I wont come help you kill them all." Same ol' same ol'

These guys are low-level, so I mess with them a bit. "Shut up or die!"

20 guards, he tells me the password and then runs away.

This happens 5 or 8 times on my way to the templar. Ugh.

I tried this 3 different ways. I tried being nice, offering to join them and help with whatever, then I tried telling them I want to take this back for the Druid, then I said EAT poo poo AND DIE. Turns out they all come to the same conclusion.

Surprise!

Aishlinn makes fog, forcing the enemies to charge into the fog blindly. Kug stands there and punches people to death.

Man'tis helps.

Note Kugs hit points are 170 out of 162. That sword steals life and gives it to your total points.

They keep coming.

That took a really long time because there was a guy alive on the way right of the oasis and I had to walk over there 15 steps at a time with Man'Tis.

We have somewhere over 1000 arrows now.

Necklace of disintegrate? Don't mind if I do!

He tells of a treasure far to the east that Gabriel Pope had already mentioned earlier. 'totally unguarded' he says. Not from what I saw!

I go north and find that I've already cleared the entire northern sector. I will go south instead, clear everything down there, then go far to the east after the treasure we just learned of.

South has a bunch of lava, Lesser Fire Elementals, and 2 people. Lets chat.

Bandits drove you away? You must mean the guy standing by those giant statues! I'll help, of course!

Wait, you can't even keep your own story straight. First it was ruins, now it's a rift? Something smells off.

Oh, that makes sense. We'll go take care of the other guy for you. Later, friend!

Man'Tis is invaluable with his extra movement points. I kill everything easily.

Aishlinn leveled up!

Here is the evil bandit!

And he tells me to get lost. That's not a good way to start.

Mind explaining why he's lying and you aren't?

Oh good. He-said-she-said. I hate this. I'll go tell the other guy you called him a liar.

No, he's lying!

That almost sounded like a threat.

Now the game glitched hardcore. The first guy is waaaaaay top right, and I'm down near the other guy. He says this, hands me a necklace (that I didn't know was in my inventory), and then runs his rear end all the way down here.

He says this every single step he takes. I have to click, he moves 1 tile, he says it again, I click, he moves 1 tile. It takes 3 minutes.

And then these things appear for no discernible reason.

I kill them.

And he starts his bullshit again.

I am so sick of this.

So I kill them both. It's just easier this way.

There appears to be an exit to the west, so I'll go see what that place looks like.

My bug-brothers guarding rocks! I bet we'll be friends! I'm gonna go chat with them.

Grrr. So I'll just kill them all. They have 10 hit points. Slaying Man'tis can kill 4 of them per turn.

More murdering.

Then I find something by accidentally clicking on it. I'm in luck, I have a pick and a shovel!

Oooh, a gem!

There are probably 75-100 of these things around. They each take 8 clicks to break open, click through the text, click on it again, use the USE feature, which drops a gem onto the ground. Then I have to pick it up and put it in my inventory. It's so incredibly not worth it. I do maybe a dozen, get pissed, and stop.

Well since I don't have a drat thief I'll just yank on the cord.

Ambush! I kill them.

They were guarding these rocks, so I picked them all up. Apparently they fit into these crater holes.

hot hot hot hot ow ow ow ow burny

2000 experience for burning my rear end? Add a zero on there and I will consider it worth my time.

I go find what launched out of the crater.

And now I go to the Southern-Red-Sands. The only unexplored area (after this one) is the East-Red-Sands and the city to the west that I am saving for last.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
If Aishlinn is getting 4th level spells, she's a level 7 Preserver and should be able to use her thief skills again (AD&D dualclassing rules are dumb and make no sense.)

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Gabriel Pope posted:

If Aishlinn is getting 4th level spells, she's a level 7 Preserver and should be able to use her thief skills again (AD&D dualclassing rules are dumb and make no sense.)

Yeah, just realized that. Too bad the only thing I needed her for has already passed!

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Just a heads up that I am confused with the Balkazar quest. Any of you expecting it to be done correctly, in some kind of sane order... well, that's not going to happen.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Spermy Smurf posted:

Just a heads up that I am confused with the Balkazar quest.

I don't think there's any other way to do the Balkazar quest.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Unfortunately, if you've already met Balkazar you may have locked yourself out of getting one of the best weapons in the game since the process to acquire it hinges on a few quests elsewhere.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Gabriel Pope posted:

Unfortunately, if you've already met Balkazar you may have locked yourself out of getting one of the best weapons in the game since the process to acquire it hinges on a few quests elsewhere.

Few things:
What weapon?
How do I get it?
Why didn't you tell me not to go into the spooky cavern way to the east (that you specifically talked about) until I had the weapon? :argh:

Only place I haven't been is the C-village to the far west. Cedrilite?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Yeah, you need to go to Cedrilite or whatever it's called first, you just don't have to complete the lengthy dungeon mission there.

The process involves the alchemist out in the middle of the desert that gives you item fetch missions. If you go through a couple missions eventually he asks for a terror blossom, which you get from killing a ravager in Cedrilite. You find out later that he's selling the blossom to Balkazar, and if you've done that mission Balkazar will have ingredients for making the Terror Dagger, a +2 dagger that procs the Poison spell (which, being AD&D, is an instakill)--easily the best off-hand weapon in the game.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I head to the South Red Sand area. Looks like a caravan has been ambushed by... something... kind of human monster things?

Who will possibly save them? Me. That's who.

Come get some, Mangolores!

Hey lady, here's an idea for you: Don't give away the element of surprise to your rescuers! I hope you die.

They come across the bridge and get punched.

Well ain't that spiffy. Remind me to go down there.

Follow me, I'll go save your caravan. Relevant 8 second youtube

I catch them plotting.

And arguing.

It's clobberin time!

Nice to meet you. Now join our alliance against the city!

They join us with about 0 effort on my part. Awesome. These groups that are helping us defend against the army aren't going to do poo poo are they?

Lets climb down.

Holy poo poo I'm a moron. This is all the same place as that well in the first city. And the left side is blocked off, so I bet there is another entrance in the well in Gedrom too. I'm such an idiot for not seeing it the first time.

Tristram is here, I need her gem thingy. Also she's batshit crazy.

Yeah, I'll take you.

Or I'll tell some escort something? Ugh. What?

They won't believe me.

Aha! That's the only thing I needed! LATER SHADOWBITCH.

I teleport to Gedrom and go down the well.

Another friendly shadow is shackled below.

He gets dark quick. Revenge? I am guessing he's not the super-nice person he says he is.

I mean, I have your heart sitting here in my inventory, but I'm not giving you jack squat.

Bribery will not work.

Neither will threats.

Punchisized.

And now I go waaay to the east. It's the last unexplored area I have other than City#2 to go to.

There's a creepy cave with Fifth Element Aliens blocking the path. Someone start some crappy opera music and do that awkward dance that the blue chick does. I'm going in!

Hold that thought. Lets go see what these dudes want.

So kill them yourselves.

That's the dumbest poo poo I've ever heard.

I'll just do it myself.

I have just the thing!

Turn undead.

That'll do, donkey.

These are the worst lizards ever. How do they think this is going to work?

We punch and punch till our knuckles bleed.

We go grab a ring. No idea what it does.

Alright, start doing that opera song and dance from Fifth Element that makes me cringe every time I see it.

Ok you can stop now. They just wave me through like the worst guards ever.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 25, 2015

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

-3 to your ac is good. This is early D&D, where armor class being in the negatives was better. -1 is good, -10 is nigh-on-unhittable.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Here we are. Looks like 2 exits. One way east, one southeast. I'm in the bottom part that isn't a square room. The worm-body if you will.

Man, these guys are all slaves? Some of the strongest monsters I've encountered and they are slaves? Maybe his leader isn't such a sissy.

Okay, I'll find the leader. Thanks.

Are they eating, mixing food, or banging on tiny drums?

I snoop every room because that's what I do. By sheer luck I hit this guy almost immediately. He tells me the story.

Why don't you tell the other slaves then? Duh!

Well that explains that.

Babau? It sounds a lot like a certain Ocelot. I bet the Babau are as cute and playful as the one on Archer.

Oh my god shut up already I'll figure it out on my own. On another note; I think I just realized why I sucked so bad at these games as a kid.

Some useful advice at least.

Go find a temple to the south, got it. Only one exit is south so this should be easy.

I found the leaders.

Get the poo poo out of my way I want to see Balkazar.

I drop the b-word and they let me through without incident.

The temple is kind of small. One room with some vulture things and a glowing area in the floor and a room with a shadow. We've seen all sorts of friendly shadows, so lets go there first.

Oh my god another longass story.

Make it stop make it stop make it stop

:cry::cry: There is so much more to click through

Special healing chamber and the monsters (magera) out there were the original inhabitants of the temple. I got it. Let me go now please.

I need to heal the magera before I can use the healing chamber though.

Lets clear these vultures out.

They hit pretty hard, toughest creatures I've fought to be honest. By far. Half my attacks miss, so I am guessing they have some kind of special thing like "need +2 to greater weapons to hit"

Huh. I noticed I could interact with the mirror so I swung at it. Wonder if I messed up a small side-side-quest or something.

"Go get blindy"

And now the most aggravating thing happens. He has to follow me. I can only be like 10 steps in front of him. He moves slooooooow. It takes forever.

Leave the leaders to me. I'll convince them.

Jesus christ we're not even out of your cell yet.

Yes, leaders. Now let me and blindy through.

To the temple!

He stiffarms me, and runs into the healing room.

A flash of light and he comes back out.

You know where that is. You don't need me. You can see now for fucks sake!

Stop talking. I'm trying but you walk too loving slow.

Leaders let us pass.

I could have left and gone to get the dagger and whatnot that Gabriel Pope just talked about, but that wouldn't be staying true to my crappy LP so I decide not to.

He heals his buddies.

And begins a speech, decrying the horror visited upon them.

I throw in my 2 cents.

And Blindy runs with it.

Haste? Fiiiine. :jerkbag:

With a puff of smoke the devil appears. Dakolar. Bakolor. Dracula. I seriously have no idea what his name is and I've already desecrated his temple.

He summons some monkeys. These are not like babou at all. Babou just pisses a lot.

These things are tougher than the vultures. They hit for 40-60 damage.

A slave did 9 damage for me! Wooooo, NEW BEST FRIEND.

Kug does what she does best.

You already said that. Don't suppose you jackwads want to help? No? Cool, I expected that.

You guys want to help? No? gently caress all of you.

I go to the temple to heal and to chat again. He gives me a ring of +2 wisdom.

And that's it for today. In 18 hours I'll take on the dreaded... Dakolor. Bakolor. Whatever. I'll go east into his home base.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
8 more posts for a new page. 7 now. Lets get a new page for tomorrow morning.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
:black101: Crush him! With giantess fists. :3:

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
Going back a little ways, It's possible to return the gladiators to Gedron without paying anything. If you kill Wyrmias before buying, you go tell them he's dead and they decide to go back. It's funny because the guards basically just piss their pants and let them leave with no resistance. You can get the statue piece from those lizard guys looking to buy the gladiators without haggling by, of course, just slaughtering them. That merchant in the caravan is something of a conman. The items he has really flowery stories for mostly don't actually do anything. These ultimately don't matter much since you can easily get way more money than you need. El's Ring gives +3 to dexterity, which will improve AC, especially on a half-giant.

Despite the slight mishaps caused by not actually having a thief in two of the three or four places it would be useful, I'm glad to see that you've discovered for yourself one of the tactics I used to completely cheese the final battles. :v:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Alpha3KV posted:

Despite the slight mishaps caused by not actually having a thief in two of the three or four places it would be useful, I'm glad to see that you've discovered for yourself one of the tactics I used to completely cheese the final battles. :v:

Fog spells? They're almost mandatory for the oasis fight, most of the guards have bows and can shoot you from across the oasis while you try to slowly walk around.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Alpha3KV posted:

Going back a little ways, It's possible to return the gladiators to Gedron without paying anything. If you kill Wyrmias before buying, you go tell them he's dead and they decide to go back. It's funny because the guards basically just piss their pants and let them leave with no resistance. You can get the statue piece from those lizard guys looking to buy the gladiators without haggling by, of course, just slaughtering them.

Yeah, I thought of this after. I was trying to play nice to see if the people would want to help out in the final battle. My normal playstyle is more 'slaughter everything' but I'm trying to be nice in this LP.

Alpha3KV posted:

That merchant in the caravan is something of a conman. The items he has really flowery stories for mostly don't actually do anything. These ultimately don't matter much since you can easily get way more money than you need. El's Ring gives +3 to dexterity, which will improve AC, especially on a half-giant.

Yeah, but they are really nice stories so I bought it all. The Ring is already on the giant through sheer luck. I didn't see what it did, just gave it to the giant because ooooh shiney!

Alpha3KV posted:

There are only 2 places so far that I've seen having a theif would even help. The first one (didn't get screenshots) was scaling a wall in the sewers and getting a +1 axe. I did that, Aishlinn wasn't dual-class then and did it easy. The other one was the safe, but Kug smash.

3 more posts and there will be another update. Gotta get everything with this wizard fight on one page. There is a lot to it... Bunch of side poo poo in here.

Edit: What the hell. Where did my weapons go? I had them, fought some Babau's and now they are gone. Argh. Good thing I have extra magic weapons...

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Mar 26, 2015

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Post for new page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
T-T-T-Triple post for new page.

• Locked thread