Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Who the gently caress cares rofl 1/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Seriously.

4/5

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
Some good acting and cinematography. But the self-indulgence and pretentiousness were off the charts, and the ending was dumb. The long scenes with no cuts with 1950's beatnik drum music playing in the background get very tiresome. I felt like it turned into exactly what it initially seemed to be mocking: Hollywood actors taking themselves and their "art" much too seriously.

2/5

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 23, 2015

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I liked it.

4/5

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

The cinematography is interesting, the plot is kinda boring, and it's just overall a very weird film. The ending is umm, perplexing and it didn't have the resolution I thought it would have. Keaton and Norton are strong actors, but when acting as actors they both get a little hammy with it.

3/5 - Didn't think it lived up to the hype from critics, but there are some interesting components to it. Also feels like it has a lot of lost in itself about it.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Acting: the movie

1/5

euphoriafish
Apr 14, 2006
I mostly liked it, but if you want to watch a pretentious movie about the life of an artist being a tough road to walk, then Synechdoche, New York is a deeper movie. Birdman is a lighter and more palatable version of Synecdoche New York where nothing goes AS wrong but it's still all a tragedy for the creative visionary in the main role. I did like all the tongue in cheek play off our udience perceptions of Michael Keaton as an action hero who did artsier films after major commercial success.

I'm still working over the scenes with Edward Norton's character and the teen daughter played by Emma Stone. They played opposite each other beautifully to an effect that really creeped me out.

And Zach Gallifianakis was really good as Jake the producer. I didn't recognize him as a comedy actor.

8/10

CasualTR
Apr 22, 2016

My Hunk of Silicon is better than your Hunk of Silicon
Birdman is the perfect example of movie that gains a tremendous amount of praise around its release/ oscar nomination, then falls flat on a later viewing.

The movie was pretentious and sometimes plain boring, but the cinematography was solid.

2/5

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016
3/5.

Homoerotic hipster midlife crisis fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

bizarre, seriously well-done meta-commentary on Art As Life.

the kind of self-referencing role Keaton was made to play, irked that Edward Norton wasn't given more to do, Emma Stone wowed me, Naomi Watts continues a great streak of small but rad roles.

I didn't parse the ending right away, but repeat viewings made more sense.

like Charlie Kaufman and David Lynch jumped in and ghostwrote an ending, the kind of vague "is it or isn't it" ending that would put some people off.

love this film.

5/5