Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MassRafTer posted:

It wasn't an AAA show, they don't really run many house shows, it was an unaffiliated show in TJ.

oh poo poo, thats what I get for assuming. Still super bad for AAA tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

christ, what awful news to wake up to. poor rey must be devastated. :(

only 35 too, way too soon.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Jeez. You never want to see another Misawa. Everything about this situation is messed up. I know how bad Rey Misterio, Jr. must feel, but it's got to seem almost as bad for Manik and Tigre Uno, knowing there was nothing you could do.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
gently caress man, he was gonna be so good in lucha underground. this is so depressing

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I'm still floored by this, I really wish I hadn't watched the video. It's all just so awful.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

MassRafTer posted:

I'm still floored by this, I really wish I hadn't watched the video. It's all just so awful.

yea, i said i wasn't gonna watch it because i dont wanna be seeing no snuff video but it autoplayed on facebook and its just sad because nothing there is like shockingly out of place spot or bump wise and it still loving killed him =/

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

ScottyBomb
Oct 24, 2005

Cthulhu loves me, this I know, for ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!!

MassRafTer posted:

Yeah, I regret watching it too. The point where he goes limp against the rope made my stomach flip. :(

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

So there are some fans who are a little upset at Rey

https://twitter.com/Noruegoreturn/status/579366246547746817

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dead at 35, Jesus Christ :smith:

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Ice To Meet You posted:

thats genuinely hosed up imo

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Pretty sure that's a fake account

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Ice To Meet You posted:

"loving murderer, I'm going to kill you" is a little excessive

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Hace posted:

Pretty sure that's a fake account

Could be but there are a lot of "murderer" replies to the original tweet(s) https://twitter.com/reymysterio/status/579364284464955392

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Ice To Meet You posted:

pretty sure thats a /wooo/ troll

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
Mexico can be a pretty scary and hosed up place. I wouldnt be surprised if some Mexican crazy person decided they wanted to kill Rey for revenge.

As for me I wanna watch some of Rey's best matches on the network can anyone recommend any?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Rey's tweets an hour ago since I don't see translations from Luchablog

quote:

Apenas se formaba una amistad de hermanos que empeso años atras y no deberiamos cuestionar los designios de Dios.

Recently, a friendship of brothers that started years ago was formed and we should not question God's plans

quote:

Pero en esta ocacion me pregunto porque y no lo entiendo, te extrañare y te llevare conmigo el resto de mi vida,descansa en Paz HijoDelPerro

But on this occasion I ask why and I don't understand, I'll miss you and I'll carry you with me for the rest of my life. RIP Hijo del Perro

:smith:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Man everything looked so routine. That's scary as hell.

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!

VoLaTiLe posted:

Mexico can be a pretty scary and hosed up place. I wouldnt be surprised if some Mexican crazy person decided they wanted to kill Rey for revenge.
Yeah those uncivilized Mexicans are so backwards theyll just murder anyone :rolleyes:

cunny mcalister
Mar 21, 2004
Somehow less than meets the eye.

Yuriy posted:

yea, i said i wasn't gonna watch it because i dont wanna be seeing no snuff video but it autoplayed on facebook and its just sad because nothing there is like shockingly out of place spot or bump wise and it still loving killed him =/

Yeah, I felt it was the wrestling equivalent of Earnhardt Sr.'s crash. It looks like absolutely nothing until you remember the physics that we take for granted in every match we watch. Scary stuff and I hope Rey's support system holds up.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Fiveace Attorney posted:

Yeah those uncivilized Mexicans are so backwards theyll just murder anyone :rolleyes:

Yeah dude, what a post to make.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fiveace Attorney posted:

Look at their murder rates you inflammatory moron.

e: I think the bump he took on the apron as he powdered out probably caused some sort of spinal trauma and the whiplash from either the drop kick or from hitting the ropes was what did it. He looked pretty hosed up when he got back in from the bump to the outside.

Paulocaust fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 21, 2015

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I saw the video just now and it looks like a total freak whiplash injury that was one in a million. He took a dropkick from Rey, his neck probably snapped harder than usual then more force was applied when he fell on the ropes. I honestly had no idea what had happened (it's the most common spot Rey has ever done) until I watched it a couple of times. I was really uncomfortable watching the other wrestlers continue the match at that point (yes, the show must go on much like live theatre) because the way he was slumped was not your typical "I just need 10 seconds, I'm good" pose you usually see when someone gets bumped more than normal.

Oh, and for all the people saying Rey is a murderer: that's like saying D'Lo Brown is a crippler so go gently caress yourselves. The ring can be a dangerous place and nobody in wrestling wants to be in the same situation both men were where they hurt of killed someone.

Gusano
Dec 15, 2013
Talking about Mexico's murder rate at the Perro Aguayo Jr.'s death thread, is a really classy move from PSP, never change guys...

Gusano fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 21, 2015

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Paulocaust posted:

Look at their murder rates you inflammatory moron.

e: I think the bump he took on the apron as he powdered out probably caused some sort of spinal trauma and the whiplash from either the drop kick or from hitting the ropes was what did it. He looked pretty hosed up when he got back in from the bump to the outside.

Murder rates in Mexico are high because of the drug cartels, not because your average Mexican person is some kind of psychopath who is going to hunt someone down over a freak sports accident.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Perro Aguayo Jr. has passed away

Pedro Aguayo Ramirez, Perro Aguayo Jr., passed away early this morning. He was 35. Perro suffered fatal injuries during Friday night’s match in Tijuana. Reports indicate a ring rope snapped into his throat or head, and he fell to the mat unconscious. It was originally believed he was just selling, but he’d actually been knocked unconscious. Perro was rushed to the Del Padro hospital, and pronounced dead early Saturday morning.

There is video. I’m not going to be watching it or linking to it.

Perro is the second AAA employee to pass away tragically within days. Perro was a lynchpin of AAA, the led heel, the man all the big feuds for the future were built around and leader of the biggest heel group, a group that had spanned both CMLL and AAA. Perro was a person who had way too much life left for him to leave now – as a individual, as a family man.

This is a nightmare.

Update (11:48): MedioTiempo has an article with quotes from the Tijuana lucha commission doctor. Everyone watching the video, and watching live, observed there was no doctor’s aid right away and a makeshift stretcher. (In the video, Konnan appears to be the first to notice something’s horribly wrong.) The doctor explains there had been two other injuries on the card, including a spinal one, and the doctors were still treating them. The doctor says there were two ambulances present. It sounds like the spinal injury person was still on the stretcher, so the idea was to get Perro out of the ring as quick as possible with whatever they had. Perro was moved onto a stretcher before they got him into the ambulance.

Perro was worked on for an hour at the hospital, with a team of doctors trying to figure out what they could do, before they declared him dead. The official cause of death is “raíz de un golpe que tuvo en la región cervical”, which I believe translates to a spinal stroke.

Updated (2:00): Wrestling Observer says the doctor at the hospital called the injury as “cervical spine trauma”, believed to come from one of the two impacts of the rope into his throat. The doctor was unsure which one, though it appears it’s more likely the first.

Updated (3:30): A fan in attendance says he never saw someone taken to the back on a stretcher, which would dispute the commission’s claim about having adequate medical coverage. It’s still possible someone could’ve made it to the back and then put on a stretcher due to an injury.

This story has understandably gotten mainstream and worldwide attention, largely due to the videos of Perro’s death being available. There’s a lot of people looking into this; I think we’ll know the truth of the medical situation quickly.

quote:

@luchablog 9m9 minutes ago

The attorney general of Baja California has announced an investigation into Perro Aguayo Jr.'s death: http://www.record.com.mx/articulo/noticias/3465380/investigan-como-homicidio-culposo-muerte-del-perro-aguayo-jr

quote:

luchablog
‏@luchablog

Perro's body is being taken to Guadalajara, where he'll be buried tomorrow.

quote:

luchablog
‏@luchablog

the head of the Tijuana lucha commission is calling for a funded national commission to better protect luchadors: http://www.mediotiempo.com/mas-deportes/lucha-libre/noticias/2015/03/21/debe-haber-patronato-de-lucha-libre-comision-de-tijuana

quote:

Lucha Libre AAAVerified account
‏@luchalibreaaa

La pena embarga de nuevo nuestros corazones.

Descansa en paz, Hijo del Perro Aguayo.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 21, 2015

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
A fan in the United States went home from an event, got a chainsaw and then went back in an attempt to kill a heel who did something mean. This happened in the last decade. Wrestling fans are violent morons no matter the culture.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

It's of course sadly inevitable, but it's terrible that Rey has to deal with fuckheads harassing him on top of everything else. Guy seems to be one of the most genuinely decent people in the business, and now just after he finally got out of his WWE deal after they hosed with him on his contract for a year+ he has to deal with a friend and coworker dying in the ring in front of him. Not his fault in the slightest, but of course it's going to be very rough on him.

MassRafTer posted:

A fan in the United States went home from an event, got a chainsaw and then went back in an attempt to kill a heel who did something mean. This happened in the last decade. Wrestling fans are violent morons no matter the culture.

Uh, what/when was this? Surprised I've never heard about it.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
After reading the reports of the lack of immediate medical attention I'm just really loving glad WWE is actually pretty good on this today (compared to years past) where they stopped a match after Randy Orton took a bad gash to the forehead from a ring bell (spraying blood everywhere) and Lawler got whisked away immediately on a stretcher (Canadian health care joke here) after his heart attack on live TV.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

MassRafTer posted:

Not even just wrestling fans. A goalie who scored a goal for the opposing team in Colombia was murdered for it. It sucks because Rey is probably one of the best performers of his generation and now he has to carry this around on his shoulders.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I also recall the coach of the Pakistani cricket team got murdered in his hotel room (the death was mysterious...but we know the truth) after his team sucked during the World Cup for the sport.

Sports are serious business.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

MassRafTer posted:

thats some good heat

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Blast Fantasto posted:

I just don't understand how it went on that long. It seems like Manik notices something is up right away.

I mean I guess he could have just been unconscious, but Jesus, stop the match.

The match only goes about 30 seconds after Mysterio realizes that Aguayo is out. That and it's not really possible to realize he's that badly injured.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I've never seen him perform but poo poo like this always sucks

Konnan shoving him repeatedly after it's obvious something is very wrong was pretty tough to watch

Fushin
Dec 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer

MassRafTer posted:

It was some kid coming back for Chuck Taylor, wasn't it?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Forgive my ignorance, but why is the Attorney General of Baja, California announcing an investigation for something that happened in a different country? Was Aguayo based in California/a US resident?

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Forgive my ignorance, but why is the Attorney General of Baja, California announcing an investigation for something that happened in a different country? Was Aguayo based in California/a US resident?

Baja California is a state in Mexico. And Tijuana is the largest city in that state

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baja_California

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well poo poo, I absolutely did not know that at all. Thanks.

Fake Edit: This might come across as sarcasm, it's not - I genuinely had no idea, and do appreciate the information!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Thauros posted:

It's of course sadly inevitable, but it's terrible that Rey has to deal with fuckheads harassing him on top of everything else. Guy seems to be one of the most genuinely decent people in the business, and now just after he finally got out of his WWE deal after they hosed with him on his contract for a year+ he has to deal with a friend and coworker dying in the ring in front of him. Not his fault in the slightest, but of course it's going to be very rough on him.

Uh, what/when was this? Surprised I've never heard about it.

I had a couple details wrong.

In 2009 Peachstate Wrestling had a retirement ceremony for Mike Jackson, during the ceremony he was attacked by heels and the crowd rioted. One guy reportedly pulled a knife, but things got crazy when an elderly man went to his car, got an axe and attempted to attack the heels with it before being arrested.

Let's not forget Japanese fans sent Saito death threats after Misawa died.

Jerusalem posted:

Baja, California is a part of Mexico. It is that peninsula that sticks down under California.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

i found out about this on facebook where it just said "Wrestler dies in ring during match with Rey Mysterio" or something, so i can imagine this is hard for rey for sure. tragic :(

• Locked thread