Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What's the best Gorillaz album?
Gorillaz (2001)
Demon Days
Plastic Beach
The Fall
View Results

• Locked thread
Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Junior Jr. posted:

Honestly, I couldn't decide between Demon Days and Plastic Beach they both sound so amazing, the debut album was okay though, but it sounded more like the foundations of the band before they really started taking off. I might reconsider allowing a second vote, but I need to check to see if I can do that first. EDIT: Okay, I guess I can't seeing as I'm not a mod, but maybe when the next album comes around, I might do a second part with that album included.

I love Demon Days and Plastic Beach both so much. But what tipped me towards DD was thinking how amazing the Demon Days live concert was. They just nailed everything. I think it's rare for an album (full and in sequence) to work as well live as it does recorded.

I barely listen to the self-titled anymore. I was into it back in 2001, but these days I couldn't care less about its existence. To me, the actual Gorillaz is everything DD onwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Dream collaborators for Phase 4?

I'd have to say Little Dragon (again) and Childish Gambino are at the top of my list. Maybe Studio Killers for a double-virtual-band collab.

edit: Josh. loving. Homme.

edit 2: Comedy answer: Mike Skinner (:barf:)

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 22, 2015

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

thehomemaster posted:

Where do you live man, I swear we are pretty much the same person (literature and music at least).

Haha hi-five awesone taste in books and music buddy. I'm in Sydney. And nah, missed Gorillaz when they were here :( also missed NIN/QOTSA which I will never forgive myself for.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

thehomemaster posted:

Regarding a new album, apparently it's coming in November? I saw in an interview that they also have to cut back on the grandeur of the previous music videos due to, well, how much they cost and how little music makes these days.

EDIT: OK so Demon Days is best album ... but best song on album?

I can't find any info saying the album is out in November.

Best DD song is El Maņana. Followed by the final trio, because they all run together.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Here we go, he starts recording it in September: http://blog.lessthan3.com/2015/07/gorillaz-confirm-first-studio-album-6-years/

BTW I saw Blur live in Sydney the other day. loving amazing :h:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
If you haven't heard it yet, check out the kinda more upbeat/shuffle-y version of El Maņana that Damon's been singing on his solo tour: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPPAA6742n8

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Whorelord posted:

It was alright, but it felt pretty self indulgent and Damon seemed disconnected from the audience.

Snoop Dogg improved it, and I guess its the closet I'll get to seeing the Clash live so there were some positives

Damon was chronically pissed off during the Plastic Beach tour. Bandmates and/or stage crew kept loving up constantly. There's a lot of videos on Youtube where you can see Damon giving death eyes or yelling at people (off-mic) during songs.

Then there was the time during Stylo where the lead guitar hadn't been tuned properly. It's painful to listen to, and even more painful to see the rage on Damon's face, while he's trying to keep the song together. Especially because it was one of the professionally filmed concerts. I can't find the video now, does anyone remember which concert it was at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

abraham linksys posted:

e: also Sweepstakes is the best song on Plastic Beach (Empire Ants is a close second)

you're a wunner

I actually really like Sweepstakes too, even though most people despise it.

And yes, Hong Kong is one of the best Gorillaz songs. In my top 3-5 for sure. El Maņana is still #1.

• Locked thread