Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What's the best Gorillaz album?
Gorillaz (2001)
Demon Days
Plastic Beach
The Fall
View Results

• Locked thread
Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Demon Days was my first intro to Gorillaz (well I was aware of them with the self-titled-I remember they came up on Newsround when I was a kid) , so I think it's still my absolute favourite. It's such a perfectly balanced album.

I really like Plastic Beach, though. In particular On Melancholy Hill is my favourite song the band's done. But I feel that wasn't as cohesive as Demon Days.

I like all of the albums. Even The Fall. Although I can take or leave most of the remixes on D-Sides.

Hedrigall posted:

Dream collaborators for Phase 4?

I'd have to say Little Dragon (again) and Childish Gambino are at the top of my list. Maybe Studio Killers for a double-virtual-band collab.

edit: Josh. loving. Homme.

edit 2: Comedy answer: Mike Skinner (:barf:)
Well I think De La Soul are lock ins, they showed up on the last two albums and are pals with Damon.

They wanted Engelbert Humerdinck for Plastic Beach, but his manager refused on his behalf. But Humperdinck turned around and fired him for it, so I guess he'd be up for it.

I'd love to see Danger Mouse come back to produce, though.

I'm really hyped for the new album. I mean the new Blur album suggests Damon's still got the musical side of things locked down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Regalingualius posted:

I'll admit, I really only got into Gorillaz about a year ago when I bought their first album on a whim; ever since then, I've really been digging into everything Albarn and his collaborators have done. Whoever said the guy's a warlock is underselling him, if anything; he's practically a loving legend of music. Anyhow...

I actually was a somewhat casual fan of Gorillaz back in the Demon Days...days, but kind of fell out of love with the group till I found the CD again I think last year and was blown away by how good it was. Finding out they'd released not one but two albums since was pretty great. Even if they weren't as good as Demon Days, they're still excellent.

Cubey posted:

Demon Days is a contender for best album ever made. Especially the end, the last three songs are loving insanely good as a single outro.

That's not to take anything away from S/T or Plastic Beach, which are both really great albums, but Demon Days is on an entirely different level.
:agreed:

Oxxidation posted:

I can appreciate The Fall as an album made entirely to spite the people who cut off Albarn and Hewlett's rad music videos.
It wasn't even meant to be sold, it was a free giveaway till the label made them charge for it. For a free album of Albarn dicking around with an iPad, it's pretty drat good.

Also, the music videos were indeed rad. I actually love the whole virtual side of things as much as the music itself. Hell of a lot more interesting than what's going on with 'actual' musicians. It's especially jarring since Plastic Beach was apparently meant to be the first in a trilogy of albums till the plug got pulled. I wanted to see a Noodle vs. Cyborg Noodle showdown with an awesome soundtrack. They're one of a tiny handful of bands where the video actually genuinely adds something to the experience.

Hopefully they'll revisit the unreleased songs they were working on in Phase 4. I think we can all agree Crashing Down deserves a full release.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Yeah, I think I heard a bootleg live version of Sweepstakes and it was miles better than the studio version.

Also, Hewlett's put a bit more phase 4 art on his instagram again.

E: And Stop the Dams and On Meancholy Hill are two of the best Gorillaz songs and I will fight anyone that says otherwise.

• Locked thread