Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

Clawshrimpy posted:

I'm not trying to say that, I'm just saying that I disagree with the assertion people think about their situations apply to me as well, or that everyone who was ever bullied and abused needs to view it that way or they're wrong.

^ this is basically correct, and I bet no one will acknowledge this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Shunning social interaction and cowering in fear of the world forever because you got bullied as a kid is such an insanely hosed-up thing to take away from that situation that I'd definitely say it's a wrong and stupid choice, personally.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Namtab posted:

How long are you going to keep running, clawshrimpy

Steam
Mar 19, 2015

Clawshrimpy posted:

I'm not trying to say that, I'm just saying that I disagree with the assertion people think about their situations apply to me as well, or that everyone who was ever bullied and abused needs to view it that way or they're wrong.

Shrimpy we're trying to show you a better, healthier way of looking at your past and escaping your personal demons and you are literally saying "no, this is wrong, my way is better for me".

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Clawshrimpy posted:

I'm not trying to say that, I'm just saying that I disagree with the assertion people think about their situations apply to me as well,
Our situations apply to yours just about as much as yours apply to Gainer's, Simon's, or Rossiu's.

Stalin-Chan posted:

Now if only he would acknowledge the reverse.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Steam posted:

Shrimpy we're trying to show you a better, healthier way of looking at your past and escaping your personal demons and you are literally saying "no, this is wrong, my way is better for me".

Stalin-Chan posted:

Ha ha you were wrong.

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009
You can't really force someone to face trauma by making them watch anime.

Maybe shrimpy should talk to someone about all this but uh, I just don't think this is a safe/healthy avenue for that.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Stalin-Chan posted:

I bet no one will acknowledge this post.

You just did.

Also, while it is correct, we can still point out how unhealthy it is to dwell on the things that hurt you to the exclusion of everything else.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Stalin-Chan posted:

Maybe shrimpy should talk to someone about all this but uh, I just don't think this is a safe/healthy avenue for that.

Anime and random people on the internet are a flawless replacement for friends, therapists, and general social interaction, I'll have you know. :colbert:

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Stalin-Chan posted:

Well, I already am in therapy, and I have been talking about this with my therapist, but...

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Stalin-Chan posted:

Depends which anime.

I believe in the healing power of k-on

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Steam posted:

I dunno, there are people on twitter and tumblr I know that treat their own dififculty and trauma like I do.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Clawshrimpy posted:

I dunno, there are people on twitter and tumblr I know that treat their own dififculty and trauma like I do.

What does that prove?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Tumblr is one of the furthest things from a healthy platform for dealing with issues.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Clawshrimpy posted:

You might note that they are ALSO deeply unhappy.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Clawshrimpy posted:

I dunno, there are people on twitter and tumblr...

This is not helping your case.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Clawshrimpy posted:

Speaking as a healthcare pro. This isn't healthy

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Bad Seafood posted:

Tumblr is one of the furthest things from a healthy platform for dealing with issues.

Until a came back here, I was basically exiled to social media as my only means of communication, got thrown out of /m/, plat, and other places, so of course I had to interact with people on tumblr and twitter a lot.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
When is the last time you tried talking to real people?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Even people on Tumblr are aware that Tumblr isn't the best platform to deal with personal issues. It can basically be a huge echo chamber that creates even more of a stagnating problem.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

mikeycp posted:

When is the last time you tried talking to real people?

I still interact with my family and occasionally people in the real world, but only as much as neccecary to shop for things and such, and even then I still get exposed to slurs and other things that trigger me and want me to leave faster.

Occasionally I try to go to some social gathering other than group therapy (group therapy feels safer just because I get to be with other autistics and not mean people.) but it ends in failure, like I could go to a card game store and play in a Magic draft, but the guys there that constantly throw out slurs and behavior that reminds me of school makes me want to leave as fast as possible.

DrOswald
Feb 22, 2014

Clawshrimpy posted:

Until a came back here, I was basically exiled to social media as my only means of communication, got thrown out of /m/, plat, and other places, so of course I had to interact with people on tumblr and twitter a lot.

Did it ever occur to you that the reason why these people are there is because, like you, they were thrown out of communities because they could not deal with their baggage? They are the last people you want to talk to when forming your strategies for dealing with your problems. It's like trying to learn how to deal with your drug problem by talking exclusively to homeless crack addicts.

Steam
Mar 19, 2015

Clawshrimpy posted:

I still interact with my family and occasionally people in the real world, but only as much as neccecary to shop for things and such, and even then I still get exposed to slurs and other things that trigger me and want me to leave faster.

Occasionally I try to go to some social gathering other than group therapy (group therapy feels safer just because I get to be with other autistics and not mean people.) but it ends in failure, like I could go to a card game store and play in a Magic draft, but the guys there that constantly throw out slurs and behavior that reminds me of school makes me want to leave as fast as possible.

Are these people customers or employees? If it's the former, let the shop keepers know. As a customer, if they're making you feel uncomfortable you have a right to ask the owners to have them cut it out.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Clawshrimpy posted:

like I could go to a card game store and play in a Magic draft

See this is your first mistake.

Constructed is better :getin:

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

TheKingofSprings posted:

See this is your first mistake.

Constructed is better :getin:

Do you know how much it costs to get a viable deck for a constructed format?

Drafts are a little more in my price range, and I find drafting more fun since I get to build a new deck each time rather than stick to a few staple decks.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Drafting is better shrimpy, don't let him try to fool you

also I'm not sure why you think you got thrown off /m/, you don't have to use tripcodes you know

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

forbidden lesbian posted:

also I'm not sure why you think you got thrown off /m/, you don't have to use tripcodes you know

I'm IP banned.

And it's not like taking the trip off helps, because then the anons would be accusing themselves of being me, but I will admit that is hillarious when it happens.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Clawshrimpy posted:

Do you know how much it costs to get a viable deck for a constructed format?

I play in competitive Modern tournaments, so...yeah :v:

At least it's a good set for drafting this time around AFAIK, I hear the new set kind of cancels out Fate Reforged's bomby poo poo

forbidden lesbian posted:

look the day I don't have to be content with drafting a 5/5 with no other abilities is the day I take up drafting

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It's hard, but I really think you should stop making yourself miserable by stuggling itt and just eat the ban.

Engage more with real people. If you enjoy your group therapy with other autistic people, why not actually try striking up non-therapy activities with them. A social gathering, for instance.

It's terrifying, particularly if you lack experience, but it's better than making yourself miserable here.

I'm not particularly confident socially, and yet I work as a community nurse which is one of the most social and talky jobs that exists. I get around this through workarounds such as planning what I need to get done and wearing headphones in the office so that I can concentrate on things. It is possible.

There are people in this thread with autism diagnoses like you, that have found workarounds to help them in life. These workarounds have helped them to find and maintain employment and social networks. It's likely hard for them too.

Your real issue is confidence, but to use anime morality, the shows you like seem to revolve around courage and trying your best to overcome things. You can't get anywhere if you don't at least try to change things for yourself.

Part of this means that it may be a better use of your time to give up on the internet and try life.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Clawshrimpy posted:

I don't know anything about group therapy, but is it a faux pas to socialize with other patients outside of a session? Maybe try and socialize with people who understand and can be respectful of the things you're going through.

It should also be noted that, from my experience, the typical person who plays Magic in public is very probably going to be kind of a lovely person regardless of disabilities or other such things. I can't say I recommend playing Magic or that kind of thing with strangers if you're sensitive to insults and assholeish behavior.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

TheKingofSprings posted:

I play in competitive Modern tournaments, so...yeah :v:

At least it's a good set for drafting this time around AFAIK, I hear the new set kind of cancels out Fate Reforged's bomby poo poo

look the day I don't have to be content with drafting a 5/5 with no other abilities is the day I take up drafting

Well the last time I drafted was Theros black, and I generally like drafting most is during multi-color formats, even if Theros was barely like that.

I remember having a lot of fun during Dragon's Maze.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

mikeycp posted:

It should also be noted that, from my experience, the typical person who plays Magic in public is very probably going to be kind of a lovely person regardless of disabilities or other such things. I can't say I recommend playing Magic or that kind of thing with strangers if you're sensitive to insults and assholeish behavior.

If I learned anything from YuGiOh Abridged, it's that you've just played right into my trap card. Something Something defense mode!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

mikeycp posted:

I don't know anything about group therapy, but is it a faux pas to socialize with other patients outside of a session?

Depends on the nature of the group and the nature of the therapy.

When I was 20 I volunteered at a weekly club for young adults with asperger's syndrome to meet up. They came in and did nerdy poo poo with each other and had fun. Granted this is the UK but I'm sure america has something similar.

The thing about these niche groups is a lot of the time you don't know they exist unless you look for them. Have you ever looked?

DrOswald
Feb 22, 2014
People are saying that you should just eat the ban because you are not going to fix all your problems in a month, but you don't actually have to fix all your problems to stay here. For now you could just learn to pull back on your posts a little so they don't annoy people so much. I am sure people would be willing to coach you on that. I would.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Clawshrimpy posted:

I'm IP banned.

And it's not like taking the trip off helps, because then the anons would be accusing themselves of being me, but I will admit that is hillarious when it happens.

IP banned for making too many posts, thats why i never posted outside /b

Clawshrimpy posted:

Well the last time I drafted was Theros black, and I generally like drafting most is during multi-color formats, even if Theros was barely like that.

current block is heavily multi-colored, i think you'll love it

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Clawshrimpy posted:

Well, DGM was apparently awful for draft so if you liked that you'll probably love what's out there now.

Also there's Dragons and poo poo :smaug:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

DrOswald posted:

People are saying that you should just eat the ban because you are not going to fix all your problems in a month, but you don't actually have to fix all your problems to stay here. For now you could just learn to pull back on your posts a little so they don't annoy people so much. I am sure people would be willing to coach you on that. I would.

The reason this thread exists is because he showed up on these forums to continue an argument from two years ago that got him banned. I just don't think he has that kind of self-control.

DrOswald
Feb 22, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

The reason this thread exists is because he showed up on these forums to continue an argument from two years ago that got him banned. I just don't think he has that kind of self-control.

Well, he could try. You never know until you try. The worst that could happen is he fails and he is banned anyway. Literally no downside.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i've never actually drafted mtg and even i can tell it's far superior to constructed

plus the game is so heavily built to support it these days (and for like the last 15 years) it's really no surprise that it's so much better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

I can sympathize with Clawshrimpy on not wanting to interact with the MTG crowd. Do most Magic players even like other Magic players? :v:

The tip about trying to hang out with other people from group therapy is good. If the people running the group don't discourage it, it seems like a nice way to start taking steps towards social skills.

Stalin-Chan pointed out that watching anime with strangers on the internet isn't a good way to work through your issues. He's right! That's what therapy and real-life interaction are for.

I am introverted as hell, and sometimes I've gotten so depressed that I just couldn't face people any more. When I'd force myself to interact with the outside world for shopping and the like, I'd be awkward and weird and people would respond accordingly.

The solution was to force myself to engage in the real world more. Over time, the awkwardness fades, and as you gain confidence people really do respond differently.

And I'm much happier having done that. Even as an introvert, my life is much more fulfilled having a decent amount of social interaction.

• Locked thread