Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
I'm an outsider here, but I blitzed through this thread pretty quick and I have something to say. This thread is not beneficial to Clawshrimpy in any way because it's allowing him to keep repeating his toxic and ultimately dangerous views on his own reality. He's painfully stubborn and the fight that he puts up is what gives him the strength to keep going on and on without changing, if that makes sense. We all know the type of person who relishes in the whole "too proud to accept defeat" schtick. If what he's said so far in this thread is what he truly thinks, then he is in need of serious psychiatric evaluation and it's entirely possible he's using this thread as a scapegoat to avoid facing his therapy. Honestly, his situation reminds me a lot of my mother's, despite the fact that they couldn't be more different. My mom likes to make herself bend over backwards to help others even if her doing that is hurtful to herself. She doesn't like to accept help or face her own issues and she instead buries herself in the lives of her friends and family. This came to a head a few years back when, because she was so worked up in helping others, an ulcer grew on her stomach. Of course, she was in intense pain from that and from other health issues, but she ignored both until the ulcer burst, requiring painful hospitalization. Clawshrimpy does the opposite by ignoring the world around him to such a degree that he's just a hair shy of solipsism. His refusal to grow or to even shift in ideology is unhealthy and ruinous for his physical and mental well-being. Beef Waifu, I recommend shutting down this thread and banning him, only because removing him from his toxic comfort zone will allow him more time to spend in an uncomfortable place. Once there, he should be faced with the fact that his current self-actualization is not allowing him to enjoy life like he could or should.

The sort of emotional baggage that comes with not facing your inner demons and anxieties has been proven to have a negative impact on physical health. While I don't know if Clawshrimpy will be as negatively affected as my mother was, I still feel it's in his best interest to not allow himself to get caught in a dangerous and painful rut like he is now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
This thread's job is to talk about Gainer not the Shrimpster's personal life and I'd like to again talk with him about how Dominator is cool

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I think 35 pages of the same stuff is a pretty good argument for just stopping it before everybody finally loses their patience and just unloads on Clawshrimpy. (this is gonna happen)

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
All that said, I think I would like to watch King Gainer now because it looks pretty good and the last mech show I watched was probably Rahxephon or Betterman so at least this thread wasn't useless.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Clawshrimpy's gonna go SS2 and brutally murder all the bad posters trying to pick on him.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I come from the future, it is my warning to you.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Parmesan Basil posted:

I'm an outsider here, but I blitzed through this thread pretty quick and I have something to say. This thread is not beneficial to Clawshrimpy in any way because it's allowing him to keep repeating his toxic and ultimately dangerous views on his own reality. He's painfully stubborn and the fight that he puts up is what gives him the strength to keep going on and on without changing, if that makes sense. We all know the type of person who relishes in the whole "too proud to accept defeat" schtick. If what he's said so far in this thread is what he truly thinks, then he is in need of serious psychiatric evaluation and it's entirely possible he's using this thread as a scapegoat to avoid facing his therapy. Honestly, his situation reminds me a lot of my mother's, despite the fact that they couldn't be more different. My mom likes to make herself bend over backwards to help others even if her doing that is hurtful to herself. She doesn't like to accept help or face her own issues and she instead buries herself in the lives of her friends and family. This came to a head a few years back when, because she was so worked up in helping others, an ulcer grew on her stomach. Of course, she was in intense pain from that and from other health issues, but she ignored both until the ulcer burst, requiring painful hospitalization. Clawshrimpy does the opposite by ignoring the world around him to such a degree that he's just a hair shy of solipsism. His refusal to grow or to even shift in ideology is unhealthy and ruinous for his physical and mental well-being. Beef Waifu, I recommend shutting down this thread and banning him, only because removing him from his toxic comfort zone will allow him more time to spend in an uncomfortable place. Once there, he should be faced with the fact that his current self-actualization is not allowing him to enjoy life like he could or should.

The sort of emotional baggage that comes with not facing your inner demons and anxieties has been proven to have a negative impact on physical health. While I don't know if Clawshrimpy will be as negatively affected as my mother was, I still feel it's in his best interest to not allow himself to get caught in a dangerous and painful rut like he is now.

Except I'm still going to therapy reguardless of the thread. going to therapy and posting in this thread aren't mutually exclusive.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Shukaro posted:

Yeah, I think 35 pages of the same stuff is a pretty good argument for just stopping it before everybody finally loses their patience and just unloads on Clawshrimpy. (this is gonna happen)

It already did happen about 10 pages in really. And yea, I don't see Shrimpy changing either, especially after reading the last dozen or so updates on his Twitter where he is taking a chance to blow off some steam regarding the thread (a totally valid thing to do), but showing that he has no understanding of what people are trying to say to him in the process. He may want to change, but I don't think something as impersonal as an internet forum is really going to provide enough incentive to get over the kind of walls he's built for himself over the years.

Parmesan Basil posted:

All that said, I think I would like to watch King Gainer now because it looks pretty good and the last mech show I watched was probably Rahxephon or Betterman so at least this thread wasn't useless.

There's a lot of good mech shows around, and while you could probably scrounge up some recommendations here, the recommendation or Super Robot thread might be a better place to ask if you're looking for some. Still though, if you watch and enjoy King Gainer (and it is a good show), I recommend trying Xabungle as well, since it's fairly similar in tone but a lot funnier in my opinion.

DrOswald
Feb 22, 2014

tsob posted:

It already did happen about 10 pages in really. And yea, I don't see Shrimpy changing either, especially after reading the last dozen or so updates on his Twitter where he is taking a chance to blow off some steam regarding the thread (a totally valid thing to do), but showing that he has no understanding of what people are trying to say to him in the process. He may want to change, but I don't think something as impersonal as an internet forum is really going to provide enough incentive to get over the kind of walls he's built for himself over the years.

That is why I think we should change our focus from fix all of shrimpys issues ever to coaching him on how to post a little better. From what I have seen if he made a set of rules to follow he could be a decent enough poster. Like, say, setting a hard limit to how often in real time he may mention his pet subjects, or making it a point to never be the first one to bring up eugenics.

Take, for example, this post:

Clawshrimpy posted:

Funny, in Star Trek DS9 Dr. Basshir could talk down O'Brien from killing himself in "Hard Time" without throwing a punch, but by talking to him as a friend

Plus, Gurren Lagann paints a rather unrealistic picture of how someone who is atempting suicide would react to being hit and fed a bunch of lovely might makes right platitudes. If someone hit me when I was contemplating/attempting suicide I would be more likely to loving carry it out.

This is very close to being a great contribution. He makes a valid point and an apt comparison. And while I personally disagree with his assessment for reasons I have previously stated, that does not make this post bad. All he would need to do is back off on the aggressive tone and we got a quality post that no reasonable person could object to.

quote:

In Star Trek DS9, Dr. Basshir could talk down O'Brien from killing himself in "Hard Time" without throwing a punch, but by talking to him as a friend.

Plus, Gurren Lagann paints a rather unrealistic picture of how someone who is atempting suicide would react to being hit. If someone hit me when I was contemplating/attempting suicide I would be more likely to carry it out.

See? That is easily good enough.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW
Not wanting to fall too behind, I watched the next episode.

Overman King Gainer Episode 15

So, Gainer decides to meet up with Cynthia at a nearby Domepolis they're passing by, and goes off to have a date with her, with Sara and Adette tagging along, Gainer is tasked by Cynthia to answer her questions scattered over the place to find her, since everything is a game to Cynthia. In the process of answering Cynthia's questions though, Gainer comes across this Railway master who I assume is going to be the next major villain, who goes on about how the train schedule is akin to beautiful diamonds and hates the Exodus for disrupting his beautiful schedule.

In fact, he even attacks while Gainer's running around looking for the letters, by using special Overmen designed for drilling along with those two guys in order to cause the Exodus city blocks to sink and then they'd trigger a Magma flow to destroy them. Which is kinda silly but I suppose it's a better plan than just constantly going after Gain or kidnapping children or all that other stuff Asuham tried. I kinda like the new villain already over Asuham. Anyway, Gainer's date gets inturrpted before he can read the last letter, and he has to go find what's causing the problem. Those two guys are super-eager to use these Overman not designed for fighting to attack King Gainer despite the fact Gainer has beat these guys in better machines multiple times over. However the new villain guy tells them to stop and instead rely on other things besides fighting directly, which is actually a good plan, as it seems the drill things overskill is creating portals they can use to teleport around. So they just decide to Stimulate the Magma and run for it.

Gainer however unveils some new Overskills to deal with this! First he can freeze things now, but even that's not enough to stop the Magma at this point (lol why would it, the ice will just melt.) So he has to come up with plan B. Which is to tell Yapan to Evacuate the trapped city block, and pull out these Sphere things and use Overskill on them to carve a patht hrough the cavern that does.....something and stops the magma? Okay I guess.

The new villain reveals his plan not working is actually all within his expectations, just like a train schedule, and he was able to see what cards Gainer has to play, which is interesting, and Gainer still doesn't get to find out that third question, since Adette kept the 3rd note. This episode was a little weird, but mostly pretty okay, and hey, once again, no more horrible decisions from the Exodus crew.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
As much as I hate to do say it a lot of people are right in saying the thread hasn't done anything for Clawshrimpy and I might just have to close the thread and give the probation because no progress has really been made.

EDIT: Yeah, just gonna close it, I put in a request for the probation and am closing the thread now. Sorry for all the trouble this caused anyone and sorry for putting you out there Shrimpy, wish it could've gone better.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Mar 31, 2015

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Beef Waifu posted:

As much as I hate to do say it a lot of people are right in saying the thread hasn't done anything for Clawshrimpy and I might just have to close the thread and give the probation because no progress has really been made.

Well, all I can say is I tried my best, thanks for at least giving me more a chance than most people would have. I'm sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm sorry, Shrimpy. I hope you are able to get the help you need.

• Locked thread