Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

I didn't know that they were still making a profit, I thought a lot of the doom and gloom was in that they weren't making money. Thanks for the explanation.

CMLL talent is paid on a percentage of the house so it is really difficult for them to lose money. The last two Anniversary shows also made ungodly amounts of money. Part of the problem is they aren't going to spend money to try to improve their state. They could get a good TV deal but they don't want to pay for it and can't find a sponsor to pay for it. They'll sometimes pay to bring in nostalgia acts to bump business for a few weeks but the ones who matter are on the outs with the company. It's a weird frustrating company in many ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
So it sure sounds like the Anniversary show turned into a must see show if Sombra vs Atlantis is really happening.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Spermgod posted:

lol I freaken wish CMLL had as much booking as WWE does. Not 'good booking', just being booked at all would be a step up. On the other hand... at least they're not AAA.

Hopefully they haven't come up with a way to fail to make money at broadcasting this show on the internet.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Spermgod posted:

Aniversario gonna be a $10 iPPV. CMLL has traditionally been pretty good with streaming so hopefully that goes off well.

I don't mind paying but I was hoping we'd just get it for free this year.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Spermgod posted:

I decided to sleep instead of watching the show last night but judging by cubs' recap it wasn't that great anyway

Next week's card:

fourth match could be great

The main event was worth watching.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
A man worshiped by all Mexicans made to fly economy????

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oatgan posted:

Mistico/Myzteziz has unveiled his new name. MISTIC 2.0

Hahah, that's perfect. I love his terrible names.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Aaaaaand Dr. Wagner Jr. just debuted for AAA.

At least AAA learned from their mistakes and hired someone reliable.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

gently caress anyone who thinks linear championships are stupid.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

That's not even the right history!

I hope that when this is in a readable size it still says Joe E Legend and Tatanka were champions.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Grozz Nuy posted:

OK, follow up question: why? I mean I definitely wasn't watching much lucha prior to him getting signed by WWE, but what made Caristico such a huge star during that time?

He has a lot of charisma and at his peak was an incredibly smooth high flyer. He's regressed, but he's not nearly as bad as people say. I remember people blaming him for botches the other Sin Cara made. He's very good.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Thauros posted:

The standard piledriver (termed a martinete in lucha) is definitely outlawed and an automatic dq. On the other hand multiple people use the package ariant as a finisher and I'm actually not sure about the tombstone.

Tecnico and Rudo are official designations in lucha which usually correspond to face and heel but that's been less true lately. Los Ingobernables (the Rush/Sombra/Mascara/Marco/Naito group) are basically heel tecnicos and part of the act is based on them insisting on remaining on the tecnico side despite their behavior.

On the other side you have Ultimo Guerrero, Gran Guerrero and Euforia who are rudos defintiely cast in a babyface role for their feud with Thunder.

The tombstone is the martinete and that is the banned move.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gusano posted:

Kemonito is a national treasure you moron.

Best Non-Wrestler 2016.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The Wrestling Observer Newsletter exists to analyze the business of wrestling and provide what we today call spoilers. Anyone mad about Dave "spoiling" things is a fool.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Sombra is signing with TNA, their new deal is with Fox Deportes.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

StarkRavingMad posted:

I hope he is also JOINING THE FORCE

I doubt TNA is going to let him do Jeff's shows, if he ever runs another.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Sombra losing his mask killed the business.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

No Luck Needed posted:

after watching some CMLL it makes me wonder why everyone doesn't do 2/3 fall matches and own their own areana? Does CMLL have to paper much? Because selling 16,500 on a pretty regular basis seems like there would be no way they would ever hit money troubles.

CMLL regularly draws closer to 1,600 than 16,000.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bigass Moth posted:

I'd cibernetico a vampire now?

I've heard Thunder is.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

coconono posted:

Supposedly Thunder's from Australia, which makes this even better.

It's amazing Lucha Underground hasn't hired him to be their next fake Mexican.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Benne posted:

Josh Mathews is poo poo, Matt Striker is poo poo. Why can't AAA get any, you know, good announcers to call their PPVs?

They are trying to remind people that they probably aren't the worst promotion on the planet.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mob posted:

Considering everything that's happened since, Big Dave saying Perro's death was worse for AAA than Cena's death would be for WWE was pretty g.d. clairvoyant

WWE would make so much money off John Cena's death. I wish we could see how without Cena actually dying.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Rest of the World: Mil Muertes, Rockstar Spud, Apolo

Team TNA Through the Ages

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mob posted:

If anyone's seen any of the old Santo/Demon/Mil luchadores in masks and suits fighting supernatural things or being private detective movies(they have at least a half dozen DVDs on Amazon) and have some kind of ranking let me know

I've seen several of the Santo/Demon movies and I'm pretty sure they are all the same movie.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The new Observer had an interesting note related to AAA talent signed to LU deals.

quote:

There was a big issue this past week related to Pentagon Jr. and Fenix at the San Diego Comic Con. The story, according to SoCal Uncensored, started when FCW, a Southern California promotion, booked Pentagon Jr. for a 4/30 show and had been promoting him for two months. Then AAA started advertising him on a show that day in Mexico, and on 4/21, AAA called the promotion to tell them Pentagon Jr. wouldn't be coming because they didn't book him through proper channels. A lot of the Luchadors book their own U.S. dates or use guys who have connection and know the various North American indies to get themselves booked. Because of the strength of the dollar, almost everyone in Mexico looks to get as many weekends in the U.S. as they can. FCW then went through AAA to get Pentagon Jr. & Fenix on 7/22 and asked if they could have them fly in at 7/21 to do local publicity, and in particular, an autograph signing. The idea was to get them to sign autographs on 7/22 at the San Diego Comic Con to help promote the show at the Masked Republic and Headlocked booth. The problem was that Entertainment Earth had gone through Lucha Underground to get the two to sign at their booth on 7/21. Masked Republic was then warned of legal action by Lucha Underground for using any of their trademarks or selling any merchandise that could be confused in the marketplace with Lucha Underground merchandise. Masked Republic than in online marketing blocked out any reference to Lucha Underground names and said no wrestler could sell any merchandise that could be misconstrued as being Lucha Underground merchandise. When Pentagon Jr. & Fenix did the signing on 7/21, they were told they could not sign on 7/22. Gus Parsons, the FCW promoter, was never told this by anyone until Kevin Kleinrock of Masked Republic told him. Gus Parsons, the FCW promoter, wrote to AAA saying that Fenix and Pentagon were working for him that day and they had agreed to allow them to sign. AAA wrote back to him that there was an issue going on between Masked Republic and Lucha Underground and that AAA needs to "obey Lucha Underground's wishes." The wrestlers were allowed, and did work on the show that night, but FCW said a big part of their promotional strategy was the ability to promote the show that afternoon at Comic Con. Interestingly, other Lucha Underground performers were allowed to sign at the Masked Republic booth, including Melissa Santos and Johnny Mundo, who Masked Republic advertised as John Hennigan or John Morrison to avoid the ire of using his Lucha Underground name. Kleinrock said it was another example of Lucha Underground and AAA treating AAA talent like they were second class citizens.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

AfterFather posted:

Yikes. Why would LU do that to their stars? When did their management get this bad?

Also, in LA Park and Rush news

AAA talent signed to LU contracts has been treated shockingly poorly.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Eltoasto posted:

Shave Seltzer tweeted a link to what I assume was CMLL's regular tv show and I wondered why those two dudes were tearing at each other's mask. I guess that makes sense if they have that match on the anniversary show, because I was confused thinking that tearing at the other dude's mask was poor play. Thankfully the oompa loompa dressed mini had a spare mask while the chicken headed mini looked on nonplussed.

Please do not disrespect the Midget Blue Monkey.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
AAA taking a booking fee from its wrestlers for their Lucha Underground dates is so beyond scummy. They own a part of the company and used that to gently caress those guys on their Lucha Underground deals already.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

coconono posted:

maybe Caristico isn't a giant rear end dummy after all? Considering what we know about how ADR conducts himself these days.

He was only a dummy when people operated under the mindset that it was normal for WWE not to want to push Mexicans and that he was a baby for not liking it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Now that WWE is a part of a fascist administration the other companies are trying their hardest to catch up.

Except CMLL as they are all that is pure and good.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Konnan would say they are behind the times and impossible to work with pretty frequently.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Konnan just doesn't get that because there is no effort put into CMLL's booking it is actually a shoot.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I'm going to start streaming the Monday shows on PSP-TV. It's possible CMLL sets their videos as non embedable and this won't work, but hopefully starting this week we'll all be able to watch them as a group. I think the one thing missing from watching CMLL is the group aspeect.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Tonight, do you want to watch Donald Trump's favorite show (run by his close friend and husband of a member of his administration) or do you want to watch the #antifa warriors of CMLL?

Join us at 9 PM for death matches, lucha and more, then 11 PM for CMLL live from Arena Puebla!

Here's the card:

And here's the preview:

https://hubpages.com/sports/CMLL-Daylight-Savings-Show

Join us at 9 for the preshow featuring XPW, Big Japan and Lucha! Note the URL

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

We will be using psp-tv for these shows as I can assign mods in case I need to hit the sack early.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Like the idea of lucha but don't know much about it? Watched Lucha Underground but want to see actual Mexicans in actual authentic lucha matches and feuds? Tune in to CMLL every week but don't know who the old guys are?

So tune in tonight! Originally I wanted to show Atlantis vs Villano III, but I ended up with a list of Hijo Del Santo matches I wanted to watch too. So we'll see that legendary match and Santo's famous matches with El Dandy, Negro Casas, both of them and more!

Tune in tonight at 8 PM for classic lucha!

https://synchtu.be/r/TheDJRanPosition

Probably a bit earlier for random stuff too.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Tomorrow night at 6 PM: The DJ Ran Position presents THE BIGGEST NIGHT IN WRESTLING! The Granddaddy of 'em all! Why spend $70 on PPV or $10 for a fascist network when you can see the big event FOR FREE!

That's right: It's LUCHA NIGHT and the main event is the EMLL 58th Anniversary Show! This is just before they switched to the CMLL branding and features three matches from that card:

1) Mascara Sagrada vs Pirata Morgan (Mexican National Light Heavyweight Championship)
2) Aníbal/Rayo de Jalisco Jr./Lizmark vs Nitron/Máscara Año 2000/Universo 2000)
3) Konnan vs Cien Caras vs Perro Aguayo (Triple Hair vs Hair vs Hair match)

That'll kick off at 8 PM. Starting at 6 we'll have more fantastic lucha including:

The legendary VILLANO III VS ATLANTIS the only match in the history of Mexico to win the Wrestling Observer Match of the Year Award.

PLUS

RUSH VS EL TERRIBLE HAIR VS HAIR

MS1 VS SANGRE CHICANA

BLUE PANTHER VS SUPER ASTRO

AND SO MUCH MORE!

The action starts at 6 PM, with the big show starting at 8! Do not miss this!

https://synchtu.be/r/TheDJRanPosition

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
An hour until you can become ingobernable and join #TheResistance against the WWE!

Lucha Night is coming!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
My Main Man POLICE MAN better win.

https://twitter.com/luchablog/status/849275090365804544

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ishin posted:

:lol: That dude is absurdly fat.

Do not mock Kraneo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
That was MOTY until the last minute, so I guess it's still a candidate.