Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

There's been a surge of interest in Lucha Libre on PSP for both good reasons (Lucha Underground, Rey and Alberto leaving WWE, Fantasticamania, AAA ippvs) and sadly one incredibly tragic one.

With Lucha becoming increasingly accessible to watch (especially AAA) and PSP growing increasingly disenchanted with the product WWE's putting out I thought it was time there was a thread to discuss it and share links to cool matches both past and present that are on Youtube and Dailymotion. It's not to everyone's tastes but if you're looking for something new and different you should give it a try instead of just futilely complaining about WWE.

Where do I go for news or to find matches?

thecubsfan (blog/Twitter/YouTube) provides thorough coverage on his blog and twitter and constantly uploads AAA on Televisa, CMLL’s TV, and various indie matches on his YouTube.

“Dr. Lucha” Steve Sims (Twitter) covers Lucha in Bryan Alvarez’s weekly newsletter and does occasional podcasts for WO/F4W subscribers

woooo streams a four hour block of Lucha every Wednesday featuring both AAA and CMLL from 4-8 Eastern (Thanks Yuriy)

AAA uploads stuff on their own YouTube including their Sin Limite TV show as well.

Segunda Caida - "Good blog for random lucha stuff" (Thanks spermgod)

Major Feds

AAA is currently the biggest fed in Mexico and also the one partially responsible for Lucha Underground. They have higher production values and better television coverage than CMLL and their product is generally considered to be more "Americanized" in style. Matches are one fall, titles seem a little more important than they are in CMLL and you see a lot more heel interference and post match beatdowns. They hold a few major iPPVs a year. Their first two attempts were mostly disastrous but they changed providers for their last one and it streamed perfectly.

They're still a long way from reaching their '90s zenith but before this week of horrible tragedies they were experiencing a run of steady growth and considered to be a company on the rise. Perro Aguayo Jr was their top rudo and according to Dave Meltzer was more important to them than John Cena is to the WWE, so they obviously have a huge challenge ahead of them.

CMLL is the oldest existing wrestling promotion in the world and presents a more traditional Lucha product. All matches are 2/3 falls. If you're a NJPW fan you've seen many CMLL stars make appearances there especially on the February Fantasticamania tour. Many lucha fans on PSP consider them to have better workers than AAA does. Unfortunately, aside from last year's fabulously successful Anniversary show headlined by Atlantis vs. Ultimo Guerrero in a mask vs match match they've struggled at the gate and lost their main television. Fortunately for them they own their main two buildings so they should be able to survive for the foreseeable future.

They used to stream matches live on Sunday nights but sadly that's no longer the case. You can still catch many of their matches on YouTube albeit sometimes in a chopped up form.

Other feds

There's tons of smaller feds out there as well that run the gamut from traditional lucha with old stars from 20+ years ago to goofy comedy poo poo featuring warring teams of Ninja Turtles. I know very little about them to be quite honest but thecubsfan covers them and uploads indie stuff on his channel and Spermgod can probably tell you a lot more.

How the hell do tag matches work?

In lucha a legal tag is made as soon as a wrestler touches the outside floor. If you've seen lucha influenced Japanese or US feds like Dragon Gate and Chikara you'll be familiar with it.

Why are the referees so terrible?

I'd like to know too. Rudo refs are a thing in both feds, and sometimes even regular refs will apparently hold a grudge or show favoritism to certain competitors. Ref bullshit is probably my least favorite aspect of lucha, but you'll get used to it.

Uh, what you said is bullshit and you obviously have no idea what you're talking about!

I'm the farthest thing from a lucha expert and simply felt that this forum needed a thread for stuff that wasn't a GDT for an event that's already been held or discussion of Perro's death. Improved info and corrections are welcome from people who know more than I do.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Yuriy posted:

From what I've seen on Lucha Tube in wooo, the latter

Speaking of, I know a lot of people here watch wooo from time to time but if you don't:

See this?

Every Wednesday, they have a 4 hour block of that week's CMLL and AAA, plus a bunch of those aforementioned Lucha indie

So if you want like a "weekly watch", 4-8 ET on Wednesday at taima.tv/r/wooo plus it goes right into the live airing of Lucha Underground!

added to OP, thanks for info.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

This paragraph was very confusing to read even by Dave's standards, but he seems to think they have a good shot at getting better TV soon:

quote:

The company is back on national television because Cadena Tres, the channel that aired CMLL on Saturday nights from 7-9 p.m. (airing the Arena Mexico Tuesday night shows) has given clearance to become a national free-to-air station. It would make sense for CMLL to now switch to providing them the higher profile Friday night shows, but they are right now on Fox Sports, a pay channel, edited heavily and with a frequently changing time slot. Those same shows air in the U.S. on Azteca America.

I'm p sure that was supposed to read that they may have the opportunity to be back, not that they already are.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

cubsfan just uploaded new playlists for both the second and third weeks of March.

https://www.youtube.com/user/thecubsfan/playlists

Spermgod posted:

He should've said "airs", present tense. They're on CadenaTres right now but the footage is mostly from the Tuesday Arena México shows which are pretty much just house shows with the level of star power and wrestler effort that implies.

Ok, that makes more sense. The minor Tuesday shows are back on, and Dave thinks it would make sense if the major Friday shows returned as well but who the gently caress knows if that's going to happen.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 24, 2015

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

What's the difference between the AAA on Televisa show cubsfan uploads and the AAA Sin Limite sow on the official channel? Is it simply the same thing and cubsfan splits it up into individual segments?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Rey's officially retiring

http://deportes.televisa.com/video/noticias/2015-03-26/rey-mysterio-se-retira/

Can't blame the guy of course, but what a sad end to an amazing career. He looked so drat happy at that Rey de Reyes show only a few days before the tragedy.

Never mind, another bullshit report like the one where he got arrested apparently?

EDIT:

quote:

luchablog @luchablog · 1h 1 hour ago

Rey Misterio Jr. has not said he's retiring. A friend said he's thought about it.. As anyone would in his situation.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 27, 2015

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Here's a great trios match from last month that we just watched in psp.tv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfL06RLwpOo

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Here's the Dragon Lee vs. Virus match that everyone's said is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFkpmoENd48

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Shave Seltzer posted:

AAA made the official announcement on 4/21 that the World Cup would be a major show on 5/24 at the Palacio de los Deportes in Mexico City, which holds about 20,000 fans. They announced teams coming from ROH, TNA, All Japan and Pro Wrestling NOAH. That’s notable because All Japan and NOAH don’t work together and ROH and TNA don’t either, and AAA is pretty much the partner of Lucha Underground. It’s also notable that they are working with both TNA and ROH, but not GFW, since Jeff Jarrett has worked for AAA for years and listed AAA as one of his partners in promotional material. The Ticketmaster site lists names like Matt Hardy, Taiji Ishimori, Dr. Wagner Jr. and Johnny Mundo as appearing. Wagner & Blue Demon Jr. are expected to be two of the three legends of the Mexican team. AAA will have two teams, one coming out of the next two television tapings, and the other being the dream team of Rey Mysterio Jr. & Alberto El Patron & Myzteziz.

Cool to see Mundo making an appearance

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Hell, just switch Drew and Mundo and you'd have a TNA team (he does TNA, right?) and a LU team if Mesias does the Mil Muertas gimmick.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

KOnnan's site is now selling official Perros del Mal, Pentagon jr, and Fenix shirts in the US.

http://maskedrepublic.ecwid.com/#!/AAA-Lucha-Underground-Luchadors/c/13115128/offset=0&sort=normal

quote:

Masked Republic ‏@maskedrepublic 15m15 minutes ago

@SAThauros @AAWPro @PentagonJunior @FenixAAA 100% officially licensed either direct from luchadors or with them getting royalties on every $

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

CMLL is streaming a free show right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpM-d93r_LQ

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

http://www.f4wonline.com/more/more-top-stories/101-mexico/43679-triplemania-to-be-on-us-and-canadian-ppv

An announcement will be made officially later today that TripleMania, AAA's biggest event of the year, will be airing live on PPV in the U.S. and Canada on Sunday, 8/9.

The show will be airing from 7-10 p.m. Eastern time live on all the major PPV carriers, through inDemand, Dish, DirecTV, Bell Canada Satellite and Rogers in Canada, headlined by the first-time ever match with Rey Mysterio Jr. vs. Myzteziz.

The show will be priced at $19.95 for SD and $29.95 for HD.

Two other matches announced for the show are Alberto El Patron vs. Brian Cage in a hair vs. hair match, and a trios match with Los Villanos III & IV & V facing The Psycho Circus in what will be the retirement match for Villano III, one of Mexico's most enduring stars of the modern era.

Most of the AAA-based stars of Lucha Underground are expected to perform on the show. The complete lineup is expected to be released on Friday.

This will be the first live AAA PPV show in the United States since the 1994 When World's Collide show, which was, at the time, considered one of the best PPV shows in history.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Sick of Raw? CMLL's streaming another Arena Puebla show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW47tMYXnVI

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Hey this currente trios match (sombra, mascara, UG vs negro casas, voldador, rey escorpion) looks cool and I'm guessing it's the main, watch it.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Full Triplemania card has been announced:

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Spermgod posted:

A Mexican referee retiring?!

I know that usually doesn't stop these guys, but I'd imagine he has to be pretty drat old considering his son's 54.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

From @voicesofwrestling:

AAA is cross promoting TripleMania with Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation. "Expect to see some spectacular Mission Impossible elements throughout the pay-per-view, as AAA takes brand placement to the next level"

Germansimp posted:

Though it should be fun if/when LU returns for a second season and he's being introduced as "They call him Baaaaald".

Brian Hage

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Dave said that Naito was doing another CMLL tour in September so that would make sense. Looks like this should at least be better than the competition's big show, though it seems strange to unmask a big star with so little build.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

CMLL's big Friday night show is being broadcast live at http://www.clarosports.com/en-vivo/ .

Main event features LA Park and Wagner jr

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

yeah that trios match was fun, glad I caught this.

Spermgod posted:

I missed the En Busca trios :(

Looks like they drew a good house

thecubsfan said they opened up the upper level and may have drawn over 10k tonight (usual fri night figure is 4000-6000)

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Yeah, Puebla shows on YouTube Monday nights, and their big Friday night Arena Mexico shows on clarosports.com

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Spermgod posted:

Aniversario card

1) Esfinge, Fuego, The Panther vs Disturbio, Puma, Virus
2) Guerrero Maya Jr., Máximo, Stuka Jr. vs Dragón Rojo Jr., Pólvora, Rey Escorpión
3) Dark Angel vs Princesa Sugehit
announced as mano a mano, not a lightning (10 minute time limit). Dark Angel’s farewell match.
4) Felino, Mr. Niebla, Negro Casas vs Dragon Lee, Mistico, Valiente
5) LA Park, Último Guerrero, Volador Jr. vs Dr. Wagner Jr., Rush, Thunder [Relevos Increíbles]
6) Atlantis vs La Sombra [mask]

I'm sure a lot of those trios will be good since everyone works harder when there's a big crowd, but it isn't a very exciting undercard.

Yeah, and Thunder looks waaay out of place in the semi main when you look at the rep and/or talent of the other five

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Probably a good question for thecubsfan, but do you know what the relationship is between ChillangaMask and CMLL? They seem to use their guys a lot but never AAA people.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

eith an ROH show the same weekend it looks like I just saved :10bux:

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Paco owes Dave a kickback cause today's WOR just sold me on a one match show I wasn't inclined to purchase a few days ago.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Yeah, Dave was saying that they were desperate for a main even that would draw. Apparently the original plan was UG vs Thunder, which :lol:

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

LOS INGOBERNABLES shirts are now for sale at Masked Republic and they look pretty drat cool for wrestling t-shirts.

You can even get a Nai[h]to one. Unfortunately the best design for the individual guys is Sombra's and it's now out of date.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Guess I made it for the semi main

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

At the very least it should be a better PPV offering than the other hosed up North American fed running a big show tonight

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

This is on n ow btw, second match just started.
Who the hell is Steve Pain anyway? Never heard of him?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

A women's match that I missed as well but was supposed to have been better than expectations (Taya retained)

Jack Evans pinned the Perros B team that was also in the match to win the tag titles for him and Angelico after Myzteziz hosed over Pentagon.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I asked thecubsfan if he thought AAA would even want him back to finish his dates and his response:

@luchablog posted:

I can not imagine they would, but we're well into "everything is possible" land tonight.

oatgan posted:

in an interview he just said he's finishing up his advertised dates and then he's done with AAA. He also said he would need a new name. That was sudden. Can't wait for the next Konnan podcast

I figured he'd just be Mistico Original or something, interesting.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 10, 2015

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

oatgan posted:

heroes inmortales ended with the heels kicking him out of their club and beating his rear end while Patron and Rey just watched and refused to help him so perhaps they knew this was coming for a while

he even had a new mask already and CMLL had pyro set up for his entrance so this wasn't a day of thing

Who the gently caress even is their top rudo at this point? EL Hijo Del Fantasma? Texano Jr? I guess we can hope in vain for a Pentagon jr push?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Spermgod posted:

Pretty lame that the minis can't get out of the tercera even for hair vs hair. It's a good lineup though.

Naito's not working the Taiwan show on the 18th and I was hoping he'd have been in Mexico by then (I'm p sure I heard he was doing another CMLL tour after KOPW).

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Look who the latest American heel in AAA is....

You'd think they could've gotten Willie Mack instead.

#hisnameisntTyrusafteralliguess

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

oatgan posted:

looks like they replaced Myzteziz with Low Ki too. That looks like a really fun card

omg I was scratching my head at who the hell "Law Kid" was but I figured he was just some local indie guy they got in an emergency. Makes total sense though. I mean, who better to replace a headcase who burns bridges with a different promotion every couple years?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Hardly a surprise but AAA formally announced that Myzteziz is gone but they own the trademark on the name:

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Spermgod posted:

(xpost from the njpw thread because oops)

haha please let there be a Myzteziz II

Dave Meltzer posted:

Myzteziz is owned by AAA, which has at least considered the idea of putting a new wrestler, the former Flamita, who is actually a better wrestler and flyer, in the role although I’d bet on that not happening.

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I'm not a CMLL expert, but I'd say Rush is the 1A heel where Sombra's 1B. Atlantis is easily the top face and I would've thought he top guy as he's the one they rely on to carry the Anniversary shows at the gate.