Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
Not sure if this might be better for the general questions thread, but would anyone be willing to expand on differences between the Lucha style and the WWE style?

I've really only ever watched WWE, and I've always been kind of a casual fan, so my perspective is limited. I know about, and have noticed, the Lucha tendency for kind of light bumping and very "cooperative"-looking offense, but outside of that, is there more I should be thinking about as I watch?

Also, as someone who's really enjoyed LU, how would people say it differs from traditional Lucha and current WWE?

I guess I'm specifically thinking about ring-work, but if there's other stuff, I'd love to hear about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
Iv

Burt Buckle posted:

I think you described it yourself pretty well, more cooperative offense, aerial moves, shorter selling. Of course it varies even within lucha, if you watched some heavier guys like Chessman vs. Monster Clown or whoever then it would look pretty similar to a WWE paced match. Lucha has a much much heavier emphasis on tag, trio, and 4 man tag matches compared to WWE, and in lucha you don't have to tag out, if you just leave the ring or get thrown out of the ring your partner can come in. It makes for a much more frantic pace.

Thanks. I didn't know there were wrestlers named Chessman and Monster Clown before, and I feel better about life in general now that I do.

It can be pretty easy to read the finish of a typical WWE match, with extremely few matches ending with anything but some kind of flurry of finishers or a rollup. My impression from watching a little NJPW was that they didn't end their matches the same, and I haven't noticed the same type of finishes in LU. Is the finishing sequence "template" significantly different for lucha stuff, or is it just that I'm unfamiliar with the individual performers?