Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Minus1Minus1 posted:

Not sure if this might be better for the general questions thread, but would anyone be willing to expand on differences between the Lucha style and the WWE style?

I've really only ever watched WWE, and I've always been kind of a casual fan, so my perspective is limited. I know about, and have noticed, the Lucha tendency for kind of light bumping and very "cooperative"-looking offense, but outside of that, is there more I should be thinking about as I watch?

Also, as someone who's really enjoyed LU, how would people say it differs from traditional Lucha and current WWE?

I guess I'm specifically thinking about ring-work, but if there's other stuff, I'd love to hear about it.

Lucha is all about popping the crowd through big moves. Everything else is secondary. That's why you rarely see builds towards finishes or even drama builders like near falls. Sometimes the finish just kinda happens but the crowd got to see cool flips so they're happy.

The other major component is the ref is lucha matches is also an active participant. Sometimes the ref is the only one going into the match with any backstory(oh he's a former CMLL ref that got tapped to ref a CMLL guy's match).

Trying to explain WWE style anymore is a waste because the company looks at matches like B-Roll. Things you can edit bits from to hype the next match.

Lucha Underground is pretty much an indie with heavy lucha influence. Stylistically, they'll go for more storytelling via big moves. Generally they try to keep the finishes hot as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Burt Buckle posted:

Here are my luchador(a) masks. If you can name them all you get 20 lucha points.

Rey, Dr Wagner, Dragon Kid?, Sexy Starr, Mistico, ??, Cm Punk

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Durk Hendrunkqs posted:

Is Triplemania going to be an iPPV like Rey de Reys was?

75% certain. Konnan says that's the plan but nothing is for sure.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

CMLL had cockfighting. CMLL is the best.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Triplemania was a fun show. gently caress all y'all. Granted I got the spanish feed because I've found wrestling is better when commentary is just weird noise I can kinda make sense of.

the bad stuff was so awful it was funny. I wanna see Konnan's booking notes on how the two main events were supposed to go down because holy poo poo he had to have been high as gently caress putting those together.

Plus, old men doing lucha is never not funny.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Vader vs Porky today would be immobile at best. I need this.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Spermgod posted:

Next week's card:

Being able to watch these live is so cool. Should be a good show. CMLL is suddenly exciting, who'da thunk it.

CMLL is really bad tho? Like outside of a few guys, their roster is either crippled or drunk.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Durk Hendrunkqs posted:

Looks like AAA put up Triplemania 23 up on youtube for free as well as a few other shows. Do they usually do that?

yes. They generally also repackage the show to broadcast on their TV

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

poor CMLL

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Spermgod posted:

They've mortgaged their future for short-term gain. Building for the future vs. profiting here and now is always a complex calculus in wrestling, and it's not necessarily a bad decision if they can get a few more huge gates out of Atlantis's mask, but after Rush vs. Atlantis hair vs. mask, which I assume will be next year's Aniversario main event, there's not really another strong hair or mask to go against him. At the same time it's not like Sombra is the only guy they have who could be a future masked técnico Ace for them - Titán, Dragon Lee, Máscara Dorada all have potential, although Sombra was wayyy farther along than all of them and thus the closest thing to a can't-miss prospect. This is what years of apathetic booking have wrought.

Sombra without the mask is still charismatic and enjoyable. He can still draw for the promotion.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

SpaceWolfPurrp posted:

Yea, but now you'll never have another match with his mask on the line.

True the obvious route is out. But with some actual booking, you can get a high profile, high stakes match going having to resort to masks.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Konnan told me to eat a dick over twitter. I'm international now.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

oatgan posted:

per STRIGGA on twitter Alberto cancelled his bookings in Germany at the last minute. He wanted the promoter to book him a new overseas flight 6 days out and they told him to gently caress off

not every promoter has WWE or Carter money, Alberto. Maybe you should organize your personal life better.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I can respect not wanting to fly coach but wXw seems a little more organized than what ADR is claiming.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

mariooncrack posted:

Be careful with those free proxies or VPNs.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2928340/ultra-popular-hola-vpn-extension-sold-your-bandwidth-for-use-in-a-botnet-attack.html

I wouldn't be surprised if they were data mining the traffic either.

yeah since I can't per tab deploy a proxy, I hate them

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

can we go back to the point where I was calling AAA's promotion clownshoes? Because I was right :smugdog:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I just learned AAA's weekly show is streamed here http://sipse.com/galatv/cancun/

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I refuse to believe that CMLL does anything willfully.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The current Mistico has fully functioning knees so he's way ahead of cathartic engigma 2.0.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

oatgan posted:

an edited version of the match here, there's a couple more "highlights" the didn't take out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdFu8Kraz6Q

he falls off the apron, he'll tag in but the his teammates won't let him wrestle, he just falls down a couple times etc...

I watched it live and dude fell off the ring, laid on the floor for a good five minutes. During that time, everyone in ring kicked it into high gear to distract the crowd from the fact.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Wagner had just returned to CMLL (and, because he's Wagner, was gone like 2 weeks later, if that), so this was his first time teaming with LOS INGOBERNABLES, so they were kinda hesitant to get buddy-buddy with him. But eventually they relented, his old man heelishness melting their young punk hearts, and made for an awesome one-time-only trio.

Australia! :haw:

That... that's a joke because CMLL calls those sort of trios matches "Relevos Australianos" for reasons I've never seen explained.

tag matches were originally called australian tag matches as the Australia territory was huge into tag teams in the 60-70s.

http://www.infinitecore.ca/superstar/index.php?threadid=51013

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'm hoping Sombra signed for an extended stay in NJPW. Given WWE's treatment of lucha talent seems like such a waste if he signed up.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Konnan was on the MLW podcast trying to claim that ADR was doing close to a $1million during his year out of WWE. If dude was making that kind of coin, why was he so eager to head back to WWE for half the pay?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Spermgod posted:

Because his downside is just that and he could well make more than $1m/year in WWE.

Except we're already seeing ADR get moved into a Just Another Guy role.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

NJPW's Fantasticamanias are the best way to watch CMLL imo. Tho you'll miss out of the guy with the border police gimmick and the tagteam with the fighting cocks.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

confirm. if you love neck trauma, this is a fuckin classic. if you love dramatic finishes, a fuckin classic.

I really wish lucha would crank down the commentator volume and let the crowd be louder. They were hype as gently caress for that match.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

pretty cool, Abyss is working in mexico

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I absolutely love Thunder's complete lack of fucks given about wrestling. It's great.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Supposedly Thunder's from Australia, which makes this even better.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

loving love this guy. Rush vs Thunder is gonna be awesome.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

where the gently caress is Thunder, CMLL??

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

if Rey goes back to WWE he better push for limited dates or no one will ever see him wrestle.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I found a guy that sells official Cara Lucha DVDs but he doesn't take paypal. FML.

E: he does take paypal. $8 for the latest Cara Lucha show. Hit up @caryxus on twitter.

coconono fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 10, 2016

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Good job Konnan you killed a company with a wrasslin telenovela

In other news, I'm getting the DTU vs Cara Lucha dvd when it comes out.

The card:

1) Erwin & Irving vs Mazisito & Porrito [lightning]
DTU Kids, 10 man time limit
2) Wasson vs Lokillo
3) Kilvan & Yoruba vs Jimmy & Kevin
4) Fly Star, Fly Warrior, Toxin vs Cíclope, Crazy King, Miedo Extremo
5) Guerrero Mixtico vs Drastik Boy, Adrenalina Fly, Johnny Idol, Dragón Celta, Látigo, Tony
6) Magnífico II, Rayo Star, Sky Man vs Jinzo, Lanzeloth, Rocky Lobo
7) Danger & Toro Negro vs Crazy Boy & Super Crazy and Joe Lider & Ricky Marvin

The combination show between the two promotions, with a lot of CaraLucha vs DTU matches. Sixth match looks th best, but there’s chances for everything to be interesting.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

At this point, I'm convinced CMLL books shows around whoever shows up that day. They have a pretty decent roster but outside of a few guys, no one really has an angle to play out.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Spermgod posted:

They book around who's owed bookings and little else comes into consideration.

You guys are seriously underselling their roster though. They're absolutely stacked with talent, arguably more than any other promotion in the world. Problem is they have a bunch of lovely guys too.

I just looked at CMLL's current known roster on cagematch. They have nearly 130 people. That's insane.

E: WHY DOESNT THUNDER HAVE A CAGEMATCH PAGE THIS IS BULLSHIT. IM GONNA BEAT YOU UP STRIGGA YOU NERD

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Thauros posted:

:confused:

Uh, its right here

its not listed under CMLL's current roster on CMLL's cagematch page. Still gonna put Strigga in a locker.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Grozz Nuy posted:

How does Niebla keep getting booked?

he shows up and puts his name 6-7 times in the CMLL booking hat.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Spermgod posted:

why did they have to put Super Parka in that semifinal

Because Marco does more business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

No Luck Needed posted:

is the CMLL floor padded? Almost looks like just metal

That splat you hear on some of the landings? That's flesh on concrete. Lucha Libre is pretty much fight club with flips.

Also have that Cara Lucha vs DTU show ripped and split for a showing Thursday. 8pm EST sound good?