Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Spermgod posted:

http://www.youtube.com/user/thecubsfan/

It's really amazing to look at CMLL compared to just a few years ago and see just how quickly a promotion can fall off. Makes you realize how smart WWE was to untie their business model from the reliance on individual stars.

How long can CMLL maintain this? I know they have hopes for Cavenario and that they own their major venues, but it seems like there isn't a big star/great fix in the works for them. I can't see Bushiroad stepping in and subsidizing them like they are with NOAH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Spermgod posted:

From my limited understanding, a lot of the reason for the complacent booking and promotion is that they can still turn a comfortable profit drawing the same 2000 fans to every show that they're doing right now. As you said they own their buildings and their talent budget is low both because many guys are willing to take low pay in exchange for the prestige of working in Arena México, and a lot of the top stars live rent-free in apartments owned by the Lutteroth family.

Among hardcore fans there seem to be a similar attitude to with WWE and Vince, in that so long as Paco Alonso is in charge there's little hope of change. The guy seems more interested in having his own private fiefdom than swallowing his pride and bringing back old stars/paying for a Televisa slot/doing anything else that would build business.

I didn't know that they were still making a profit, I thought a lot of the doom and gloom was in that they weren't making money. Thanks for the explanation.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Spermgod posted:

I've gotta say I never felt he was especially charismatic. It's kinda similar to Tanahashi in that both guys clearly have something that resonates with their target audience but doesn't with me at all. He was very sympathetic while taking a beating though, which I guess is a kind of charisma.

You hit the nail on the head about how I've felt about Caristico/Tanahashi/BXB Hulk.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Dr Lucha posted:

notes/quotes from MLW Radio 201, re plans for the AAA Mega title, Alberto and Elite. https://t.co/DEEsUkK0Fa

of course there had to be some weird Hijo relation with all of this.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

No Luck Needed posted:

85 Anniversary show looked pretty packed, that is why I asked if they have to paper to fill it. The arena looks really neat from the matches I watched off of cubsfan, the entrance ramp is something to behold.

that was due to an atlantis apuesta match and well it was an anniversary show. outside of that, i haven't seen them draw a legit full house (i.e. one that they weren't doing like 10 peso for kids) in a while.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
i guess CMLL is now streaming their friday show on ps4 as well.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
there is nowhere in arena mexico, including their concrete ring, where taking a bump looks "fun"

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

AfterFather posted:

How has he not been booked on the US Indy scene along with Pentagon Jr. and Fenix? Is it due to his mask being copyrighted by the Phantom comic?

He mentioned on WOL/WOR that he was a full-time college student so that might figure into it.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

RaceyBucket posted:

I dont know if this is a joke or im missing something :ohdear:

There was a lucha show in Benbrook, TX (far west part of the DFW metroplex for those who don't know) that had a bunch of LU dudes and La Parka apparently fainted doing a sunset flip and took a long time to get back to consciousness in ring.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
i badly want to see santo vs the anonymous death threat.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
i don't know how much interest any of ya'll have in this, but i made it my 2018 wrestling goal to watch as much lucha as possible (and to make it my priority outside of dragon gate). i decided to make a blog about this. nothing super serious. just stuff i've watched and i'll probably toss some posts up as we get deeper into 2018 about who i'm digging, what i've found myself watching the most, etc. anyways here's the link: https://lucha2018.wordpress.com/

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I haven't heard anyone say that she or the Alonso family owns Arena Mexico and I think if she did Dave or Cubsfans probably would of reported it by now. But man if she did or can find a way to take ownership of it....

The overall family owns their arenas (Mexico, Coliseo and Puebla, most notably). She might have the IP free and clear if she inherited from her dad, but the arenas are another matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Feel for Yuki Yoshioka (who was only supposed to be in Mexico for a short time before moving onto another place) and Shun Skywalker. Been a disaster of an excursion for them.