Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship
I'm going to preemptively bar revised in addition to ABU. Zoness can veto this if he wants, but I think it's better for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Card draw, good creatures, utility lands, stuff that synergizes with your chosen blocks...

Dual lands certainly aren't bad, but I think that unless you're also taking Onslaught, Zendikar or Tarkir as one of your blocks, the relative improvement to your manabase isn't necessarily better than the other things you could be doing.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

black potus posted:

i vote exclude abur

i'm for excluding abur too

duals make deckbuilding less interesting.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Random other questions:

- Is Lorwyn/Shadowmoor one block, or two?
- What is up with Ice Age block?

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
odyssey/9th/innistrad for me

e: helpful search string 4 my reference (e:avr/en or e:dka/en or e:isd/en or e:ju/en or e:tr/en or e:od/en or e:9e/en)

black potus fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 25, 2015

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
since you'd decided on byos is this the signups thread now

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship

Jabor posted:

Random other questions:

- Is Lorwyn/Shadowmoor one block, or two?
- What is up with Ice Age block?

I've told someone before that LRW/SDM are one block, since that's how WoTC considers them in block constructed.

I'm considering Ice Age/Alliances/Coldsnap to be ice age block.

---

Here's the current signups

Ramos - Scars of Mirrodin/Mercadian Masques/m13

black potus - odyssey/9th/innistrad

Namagem fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 25, 2015

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Namagem posted:

I'm considering Ice Age/Alliances/Coldsnap to be ice age block.

You should throw Homelands in there as well so someone can actually play with it if they so desire for some strange reason.

---

What is the banned list?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Well, there's also the question of the older and smaller noncore sets. Do we group homelands, fallen empires, the dark, legends, antiques, and arabian nights or what?

This will actually affect what blocks I go with.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I have two thoughts on IA/HL/CSP

One is that CSP rotated with Time Spiral so it should be part of time spiral block buuuut

Time spiral is pretty stacked while Ice Age / Alliances is awful barring a handful of cards. Sucks for skred/scrying sheets lovers but v:shobon:v.

Updating the OP

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Im super mad alara block was before m10

I'm gonna battle with time spiral / zendikar / m11. I will play with all of the shenanigans.

actually this might be the worst idea ever

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 25, 2015

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I'll try... uh... Lorwyn, Zendikar, M13.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

So wait what's the actual rule for choosing your sets? I don't get why the OP ones aren't legal.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Updating the OP with this

2 Blocks + 1 Core set
Blocks must be non-contiguous
One block pre-M10, one block Post M10
No ABRU because lol

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
what's the last pre-m10 (not that i'm changing just curious)

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

black potus posted:

what's the last pre-m10 (not that i'm changing just curious)

iirc its

alara / m10 / zen

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

So is it just the legacy banlist? Also, is it OK if I do something super obvious and non-clever?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Either Time Spiral/Scars/M11 or Mirrodin/Scars/M11, not sure yet.

E: also we can't all go JtMS you fuckers

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 25, 2015

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Irony Be My Shield posted:

So is it just the legacy banlist? Also, is it OK if I do something super obvious and non-clever?

I think it's Legacy Banlist + any cards banned from those sets in standard w/ those sets.

Also yes.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Zoness posted:

I think it's Legacy Banlist + any cards banned from those sets in standard w/ those sets.

Also yes.

So that means Jace and Stoneforge are banned?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Sigma-X posted:

So that means Jace and Stoneforge are banned?

Oh right I forgot about that, I was mostly thinking about poo poo like Memory Jar and Ravager Affinity.

Ummm... I picked ZEN without considering those, my gut says ALLOW THEM but I'm sure people have ptsd about cawblade, so please if you feel like it is a mistake to ALLOW THEM make a deck and oppress this metagame (or something lilike that)

I don't really have a strong opinion on it.

Actually since simplicity is the name of the game lets say NO ADDITIONAL BANS for now. If further BANS affect your block choices I will permit an alternate block choice.

Also block choices are nonbinding until end of signup.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 25, 2015

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

We'll, considering I'm going infect, wee!

But seriously, how are handling those old tiny, noncore, nonblock sets? I need to know if I can do stupid poo poo with hightide.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I made the argument of ban any cards that were banned in standard when that block was new / the most recent (ie ban affinity, ban urza cards) but Stoneforge's dominance was tied exclusively to batterskull, which isn't even legal in our format, and Jace was always strong and a reason to play blue but he wasn't really degenerate until cawblade.

Like, stoneforge was a $2 card that got played in naya to find basilisk collar and behemoth sledge in Naya, that was it.

But I want to build a very specific jace deck so I have a bias.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
We can't have ZEN + SOM so there's no 2 mana Batterskull shenanigans. Closest you can get is taking ZEN + MI which mostly just gets you Sword of Fire and Ice and I don't think that would be oppressive.

Jace on the other hand... We'll just have to see about that. There's probably some bullshit to be done with him but hell if I know what other block and Core-set you'd take to do it.

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship
Honestly, there's so few cards that were banned in standard, we might as well just start making a Format ban list.

BANNED IN THIS FORMAT(for now)

The 5 colored artifact lands.

Everything banned in Legacy.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

OK then, Ninth Edition/Urza's/Zendikar.

e: I previously had it as Fifth instead.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 25, 2015

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So are we gonna expand the card pool at all/when? Gotta decide how I weight having a sick starting deck against getting better later on.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Jabor posted:

So are we gonna expand the card pool at all/when? Gotta decide how I weight having a sick starting deck against getting better later on.

I think we do one tourney (3 swiss, a top bracket to determine winner), then the winner adds a block?

Cernunnos posted:

We can't have ZEN + SOM so there's no 2 mana Batterskull shenanigans. Closest you can get is taking ZEN + MI which mostly just gets you Sword of Fire and Ice and I don't think that would be oppressive.

Jace on the other hand... We'll just have to see about that. There's probably some bullshit to be done with him but hell if I know what other block and Core-set you'd take to do it.

I think Jace is really bullshit but this format is also going to allow for sneak and show decks by picking Urza's Block + Any Core + Any Other Set, so I think in general the power level is going to be more like legacy than standard, so domineering in standard is not necessarily problematic.

On the other hand Affinity is a deck that was legacy competitive while being strictly block cards for a long time so I think hating it out costs the meta very little.

Sigma-X fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 25, 2015

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

OK then, Fifth Edition/Urza's/Zendikar.
Actually I need to change that to Ninth/Urza's/Zendikar because I misread some land cycles like an idiot

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
After putting some thought into it I'd like to finalize as Zen/Mirro/M11

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 26, 2015

Aisar
Mar 20, 2006

Don't look at the Batman. The Batman will steal your soul.
put me down for zen/lorwyn/m11 ty

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
throwing out a recommendation that you look at whatever pile you're building from and make sure you have answers to MDN/SOM/M11

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.
I'm going to go with Lorwyn/Zendikar/M11 for now.

Looks like Zendikar is pretty popular. I wonder why. :v:

Aisar
Mar 20, 2006

Don't look at the Batman. The Batman will steal your soul.

Viscardus posted:

you chompin my flavor???

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
hi what cards are actually legal in this wild and crazy ride

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Viscardus posted:

Gonna be honest, I picked Zendikar for Leatherback Baloth. I didn't remember Jace was in that block until like three hours later.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Tentatively going with Urza's, M13, Zendikar.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I'm really torn between Urza/Zendkar/M11

and IA/Zendikar/4E

I am laughing however at the MDN/Zen/M11 cawblade dude though.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

In with zen/4th/invasion!

Edit: might change sets before we start if tons of people are doing zen/4th though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Looking at the picks so far an interesting format change could be to ban zendikar block next session

also updating the OP

also I am considering changing my core set to 10ED pending some testing.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 26, 2015

• Locked thread