Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
All human endeavor is ultimately doomed to futility. In the end, the striving toward the murders and chess-based sword fights must be enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Last time on the Yorick path, Ophelia had a pleasant chat with her family while every non-Yorick option seemed to be pushing her to respond with anger and violence. This time, in Act 1 Scenes 4 and 5, Hamlet goes to visit a ghost.

Hamlet Full Text

Act 1 Scene 4 posted:

...which is a pretty colossally useless waste of your time, especially since you keep cheating.

A five goes on top of a three, Hamlet? REALLY?

Anyway at this point we're 15 games in, and WOW if you're not careful people might start saying that your tragic flaw is, I don't know, inaction? Eventually the sun does go down, and it's almost 11:30, which hopefully you remember as the appointed hour Horatio told you about wherein a ghost keeps showing up to bother him!

Porkchop Weebottoms wasn't doing poo poo all day.

Act 1 Scene 4 posted:

"Now we play the waiting game," says Horatio. He's interrupted by the sound of trumpets. You look at him and raise an eyebrow.

"They make that noise to warn everyone that King Claudius is getting wasted," he says. "Those trumpets go off every night around this time."

He sighs. "Denmark," he says.

At that exact moment, something insanely crazy happens! What the frig?

We've seen all this before.

Act 1 Scene 4 posted:

If you're getting too scared, read this next clause over and over until you're not insane with fear anymore:

EVERYTHING WILL BE OKAY.

Alright. Okay. We can do this. With your last shred of sanity, you quickly glance at the ghost -- and then worry that if you stare at the ghost too hard, your brain will realize it's looking at something SO INSANELY IMPOSSIBLE that you'll just black out.

Anyway: this ghost. You can see through it, but only a little? It's weird. And I'll tell you what the frig else: this ghost does look like your dad. And he's getting closer.

Yorick ain't afraid of no ghosts.

Act 1 Scene 4 posted:

He clearly wants you to follow him and leave Horatio behind. I dunno, is this safe? Can ghosts kill people? "Can ghosts kill people?" you ask Horatio.

"I DON'T KNOW MAN, BUT I REALLY DON'T THINK YOU SHOULD BE ALONE WITH THAT THING," he says, clearly leaving no ball untripped in his own freakout. "HAMLET, MAN, SOMETHING IS ROTTEN IN THE STATE OF DENMARK, I GOTTA SAY," he yells, his quivering finger pointing at the ghost. Well, duh.

"I'm gonna do it," you say, and you...

And so begins Act 1, Scene 5.

Act 1 Scene 5 posted:

"I'm tired of walking," you say. You sit down. "Pretty sure I'm done walking. Yeah. Yeah, I'm out."

The ghost stops and speaks to you for the first time, its voice issuing forth from lungs that no longer breathe air: "Hamlet. It is I, your father. Look, I can't stay around here forever so you need to listen to what I tell you. I didn't die of old age. I did some digging around and it turns out I was murdered... by Claudius!"

You gasp, shocked and enraged. Killed by his own brother! "He did it while I slept! I was walking in a garden, and you know how gardens are really boring, right?

You nod. "They're boring even for people who like them."

"Exactly!" says Ghost Dad. "Well, it was so boring I fell asleep, and while I was sleeping he poured poison in my ear."

"I didn't know poisons worked that way," you say.

"That's what I said!" shouts your dad, throwing his hands above his head in frustration. He starts to pace back and forth. "Anyway, I want you to take revenge on him for me. I dunno. Cuss him out or something. Pull out his chair when he's about to sit down. Offer him a high five but then when he goes to high five you, pull your hand away and say, 'Too slow.' Or should he offer you a high five, you must leave him hanging."

"I could murder him," you offer. "After all, he is sleeping with Mom."

Your dad stops pacing and stares at you. "He's WHAT?!"

Porkchop Weebottoms isn't going to try to backslide out of this little revelation this time around, not that it matters much. The non-Yorick option loops to this choice immediately after, with Porkchop Weebottoms fessing up that he was telling the truth after all.

Act 1 Scene 5 posted:

"Didn't he ever read the Table of Kindred and Affinity, Wherein Whosoever Are Related Are Forbidden in Scripture and Our Laws to Marry Together??" asks your dad.

"Ah," you say, "you refer to the document Queen Elizabeth ordered produced, which says a marriage such as this one we're discussing is not just squicky but a real-life hard-core sin against God, a book which later made its way into the Book of Common Prayer, itself so influential that we take many phrases such as 'Till death do us part' and 'Peace in our time' from it?"

"The very same," nods your father. "Although I can imagine that in the future, sentiments might change as to whether or not such a marriage between genetically unrelated, loving, and consenting adults is among THE VERY WORST THINGS IT IS POSSIBLE FOR A HUMAN BEING TO DO that's not necessary for us to discuss right now."

You agree.

When in this same situation, Ophelia had the option to refuse outright or even talk Hamlet Sr. out of murder. Hamlet, on the other hand, sees a murder that needs doing and agrees to do it.

Act 1 Scene 5 posted:

Yea, from the table of my memory
I'll wipe away all trivial fond records,
All saws of books, all forms, all pressures past
That youth and observation copied there;
And thy commandment all alone shall live
Within the book and volume of my brain,
Unmix'd with baser matter: yes, by heaven!

Your Ghost Dad seems pretty cool with that.

You have begun quest Kill Claudius! It's worth 3500 experience points. That's a lot!!

Followed quickly by our hero's first attempt to be sexist. Don't worry if this attempt fell a bit flat; he gets a lot better at it in time.

Act 1 Scene 5 posted:

...the woman your father adored, loved, and married, but also all women in general.

Ophelia must be pretty into Beth Metal. :downsrim:

Act 1 Scene 5 posted:

"Listen, Horatio, never speak of this whole 'we totally saw a ghost' thing, okay? We've got to keep it a secret."

"That's cool," says Horatio.

"No, I'm serious, man!" you say, grabbing his shoulders. "Some REALLY SERIOUS STUFF is going to go down, and I need you to keep this a secret. Swear that you'll never talk about this."

"I swear," says Horatio.

"SWEAR IT," booms your dad's voice out of nowhere.

"He already did!" you shout. Horatio looks at you, questioning. "Hamlet. Bro. What's this all about?" he says.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio--" you begin.

"--than are dreamt of in my philosophy," Horatio finishes, annoyed. "Fine. Right. Whatever."

Okay! Horatio will keep your secret, and you've got a quest from a ghost to fulfill! And at the end, he'll probably give you some cool loot for completing it! Maybe? I mean, it's possible.

Anyway, it's past midnight, and Claudius is probably falling-down drunk.

This whole sad story could be ended in a hurry, but Yorick wants to go to bed.

Act 1 Scene 5 posted:

Then the next morning after that the ground is all muddy, and you think maybe you'd leave footsteps that could be traced back to you and anyway long story short several days go by and you haven't done a thing.

And with that ends Act 1. See you all next time for the events leading up to Act 2.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
The 'pernicious woman' thing is odd because, while it's certainly possible that poetic language here can be read to imply 'pernicious womankind' rather than 'pernicious that woman my mother', it doesn't seem to be commonly interpreted that way. And there are better lines to use for the purpose of Hamlet being sexist, like the “Frailty, thy name is woman!” bit.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Porkchop does seem a lot more likely to just add his own spin to what he's told to do, rather than just coming up with new ideas. His other tragic flaw must be the inevitability of fate, or some junk.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Today, we join our hero Porkchop Weebottoms as he pays Ophelia a visit just before the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1.

Act 2 Scene 1, Prologue posted:

"It's me, sweetie," you say, opening the door and stepping into her room. You haven't seen each other for a while; it's so great to see her! You run up and throw your arms around her and you kiss. It's just like old times.

You hold her at arm's-length and look into her eyes.

When Ophelia set out to help Hamlet commit a murder, she started by drafting up a number of different plans as to how to do the murder and get away with it. Porkchop Weebottoms on the other hand might have long-term plans in mind for orchestrating a proper regicide, but we're not privy to them. We're just watching him make an rear end of himself.

"What's wrong, Hamlet?" she says, concerned. "Why are you fouling your stockings?"

We're dealing with a very different Ophelia this time as well, one who didn't throw Polonius and Laertes out of her room for trying to intrude on her love life. Seeing her act so differently on this go-round is actually sorta sad.

Ophelia keeps staring at you in confusion. Finally, you sigh, as big as you can, three times in a row.

What do these sighs mean? Ophelia doesn't know, I don't know, and neither do you. It's like you think you've saved your game earlier so now you can just do stupid stuff without consequences. BUT YOU CAN'T SAVE A GAME IN REAL LIFE, SILLY, so now you've got to live with the consequences of these choices.

And here's one of those consequences: Ophelia's love for you has taken 15 damage. Lucky for YOU, she still loves you a whole heck of a lot.

Eventually you run out of sighs and get up and leave, but rather than walking out of the room like a regular person you look over your shoulder, lock eyes with her, and walk out of the room and around the corner without ever breaking that eye contact. You're lucky you didn't walk into a wall.

You know what?

I think you've made enough choices for awhile.

That's it for the prologue to Act 2, Scene 1! Our hero doesn't actually appear in Act 2, Scene 1 of Hamlet so on our next update we'll be looking at Act 2, Scene 2. See you again once I'm fini--

Act 2 Scene 2 posted:

He's talking to you like you're touched in the head. Hey! He thinks you're crazy!

MAYBE THAT'S BECAUSE OF ALL THE DUMB DECISIONS YOU'VE BEEN MAKING?

So in an effort to save this, we're going to assume that you were just PRETENDING to be crazy because that way all of this kinda makes sense and nobody would ever suspect a crazy person of committing a murder, right? This is literally the best option we've got left. This is what you've reduced us to.

I've gone back and rewritten the story so that in your talk with Horatio now you say "I might act crazy for a while, just be cool." You can go back and check, it's totally there.

Okay! So it turns out Polonius considers himself a master riddlemaster, and he's going to ask you three riddles to determine if you're sane or not.

Riddle the first: "Do you know who I am?" he says.

Since you're now just ACTING crazy, this gets a little easier. Normally I'd give you the choice between a reasonable answer and a crazy answer, but I figure now you want to pick the reasonable one just to screw things up, and I swear to God there will be a method to your madness if it kills me.

Wait. No. I said we're stopping, I need to--

Act 2 Scene 2 posted:

He doesn't get that you are (or rather, that I am) rather cleverly trying to suggest that you suspect he's been trying to mess with Ophelia in order to get to you. It goes entirely over his head.

Anyway, he seems satisfied with your answer, which is great! Polonius puts to you his riddle the second.

Right, okay now, this is getting out of hand. We're not doing this, we're--

Act 2 Scene 2 posted:

You haven't touched a book since you came home from university on funeral/wedding break, so you answer by making up a book you've been reading called Old Men Are Gross and Dumb. It's about how old men are gross and dumb. You conclude by saying that Polonius would be the same age as you... if people aged backwards!! Oh snap.

Polonius agrees that this is probably the case. Finally he challenges you with the final of his three riddles.

Goddamni--

Act 2 Scene 2 posted:

Somehow Polonius thinks you're actually saying something really significant about how we're all really dying from the moment we're born? He observes that in madness you're actually speaking the truth. Hey! Your answers seem to have helped him reach the conclusion we wanted in regards to your sanity!

Polonius says he'd better be going, and you say nothing would make you happier except if you somehow literally died right now and then you motorboat your lips and flick your index finger over them, making a "brururururur" sound. Yep. He definitely thinks you're crazy.

So! I hope you're happy. I have fixed this as best I can, and remember: we're just FAKE crazy now, okay?

Okay. You can drive again.

As Polonius leaves, your friends Rosencrantz and Guildenstern enter the room! What? You thought these guys were still back at university! This is awesome!

...Okay. We're stopping. As a side note, the 1990 film adaptation of Hamlet starring Mel Gibson had a particularly awesome portrayal of the above scene.

See you next time for the rest of Act II.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Were the filenames this crazy ALL ALONG? do i have to re-read every update?

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

DmitriX posted:

Were the filenames this crazy ALL ALONG? do i have to re-read every update?

For most of it! I didn't like seeing all the screenshots as IMG_####.png back when I was running To Be or Not To Be on my phone so I started renaming them to amuse myself, and fell into a habit. Was wondering if anyone would ever notice.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Really, your mom let you get named Porkchop Weebottoms. At that point everyone immediately lost any right to be surprised at how you turned out.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Today, we've regained control of Porkchop Weebottoms just in time for him to meet up with his pals from Wittenberg University, Rosencrantz & Guildenstern. We're still doing as Yorick says though, so Hamlet's response is going to be subdued.

Act 2 Scene 2 -- Full Text

Act 2 Scene 2, Continued posted:

They look at each other. "What -- um, what do you mean what brings us here? Uh, why don't we instead talk about your, um... plans and motivations?" Rosencrantz says.

Your face falls. Man, you knew it! Claudius sent for them! They're here to spy on you!

"Aw, really?" Come on, guys. Were you sent here to spy on me?" you say.

"Well, um... yeah," Rosencrantz replies. "Kinda?"

"Frig man, I knew it," you say. "Look, I'll make it easy on you. I know I've been all emo lately and mopey and even though we don't have the words for it yet, I'm pretty sure I'm what you'd call 'CLINICALLY DEPRESSED.' That's all."

You sigh, and then look at them with a small smile.

"I guess I'm quite the piece of work, huh?" you say.

"Would you care to explain that in more detail?" Rosencrantz says.

Well, that got right to the point. I had to check back at the game again to make sure I hadn't mis-typed anything. It was Guildenstern who fessed up about being sent for, not Rosencrantz, in the full text. We also skipped over all of Hamlet's silly college-kid banter, so we can go right to this:

"What a piece of work is a man!" you say, choosing your words (and punctuation!) carefully. How noble in reason, how infinite in faculty, in form and moving how express and admirable, in action how like an angel, in apprehension how like a god!"

Your friends nod. Humans ARE pretty great.

"The beauty of the world, the paragon of animals -- and yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me--"

You break off as Guildenstern interrupts you.

"Gayyyyy," he says.

"I said man delights NOT me, idiot," you say. "Nor woman neither, though you seem to think--"

This time you're interrupted by Rosencrantz.

"Asexualllll," he says.

You look at your friends.

"Anyway, whatever," you say. "I've been depressed but it's great to see you guys, homophobia and asexualaphobia aside."

"Oh hey!" says Guildenstern, suddenly remembering something. "We met an author on the boat over. We invited her to come say hi."

An author! This is really really exciting. And who should walk through the door just as Guildenstern stops talking? Why, it's the very author they just mentioned!

How perfect! Having her show up now keeps this narrative moving forward at a nice clip AND avoids any awkward downtime where you'd otherwise all just sit around in a circle waiting for someone to show up and talk to you. Huh!

Nicely done, narrator of this story a.k.a.: ME.

The original script at this point contains a joke about theatre groups being full of crossdressers, which was pretty brazen given that in the original productions of Hamlet, Ophelia and Gertrude were themselves most likely played by men. However, there's no room for such a stab here, since we're not dealing with a theatre group at all in To Be or Not To Be. Instead, we've got...

It turns out she's Christina Marlowe, the author of The Murder of Gonzago: A "The Adventure Is Being Chosen By You" Story! Can You Murder Your Brother Gonzago and Then, Playing as Your Dead Brother's Son, Murder Your Usurping Uncle? I Sure Hope So; Choose From Over 300 Different Possible Endings. It's one of your favourite books, and you tell her so, excitedly asking questions about characters and motivation and how she did that thing with the choices.

While the four of you talk, Polonius walks into the room and tries to work his way into the conversation, but whatever, nobody here likes him. Christina doesn't make any attempt to include him and that makes you love her even more.

You start quoting your favourite passage to her -- it's the bit from the back cover -- and she takes over when you forget some of the words. It goes like this:

"Your are still really mad that you dad was killed by his brother. You decide that you should murder him for revenge, and that, my friend, is a really good idea. Do you decide to wait to murder him?"

"No!!" shout you, Rosencrantz, and Guildenstern in unison. Christina smiles. Polonius mutters, "This is boring," but nobody cares.

"Excellent. THen you sneak into his room at night and stab him in the neck. A huge fountain of blood erupts from his neck, under such pressure that it bursts through the ceiling and forms a glorious red geyser above the roof. Some kid walking by sees the geyser and says, 'Whoah' and while he's saying the 'oah' part of 'whoah,' blood lands in his open mouth. It's so awesome. You have earned 1000 points, and the 'whoah' kid also earned 50 points."

The three of you laugh and cheer and applaud, while Christina smiles politely and Polonius stands around with his arms crossed. "Whatever, I wanted to wait before killing him," he grumbles.

Christina recited her book with such heartfelt emotion that you actually feel pretty bad about not murdering your own uncle yet. Wait a minute, that gives you an idea!!

Instead of traveling performers, we've got a choose-your-own-adventure author who happened to be passing through! I can't tell that Christina Marlowe is an actual CYOA author; she might just a reference to something.

We also skipped over Hamlet's hawk-and-handsaw line, which I know chiefly for being referenced well in one of the ending illustrations and for running into it in a scan of some kind of manga adaptation of Hamlet while I was google image-searching for Hamlet artwork. I tried to find that image again for this update by GIS-ing "Hamlet anime" and I deeply regret doing that.

Act 2 Scene 2, Concluded posted:

"To Hamlet: Best wishes! I hope you like to read these words that I wrote on a piece of paper. Cheers, Christina," she writes.

Amazing. It's perfect, and now you've got the perfect book to entrap your uncle!

You excuse yourself and go back to your room to flip through Gonzago again. You get absorbed in the adventure and, a few playthroughs later, you're convinced: it really is a great book, and it should work perfectly for your plan.

Now all you need to do is find Claudius! I'm pretty sure he's in the royal court, dude!

And that's it for Act 2! Next time, in Act 3 Scene 1: To be, or not to be?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I think Christina Marlowe is a reference to Christopher Marlowe, contemporary of Shakespeare.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. So from this perspective, Porkchop never ties to write his own CYOA? Aw.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think Christina Marlowe is a reference to Christopher Marlowe, contemporary of Shakespeare.

Neat! I wouldn't have expected that kind of reference to crop up here.

Last time, in To Be or Not To Be, Hamlet hatched a daring plan to prove his uncle's guilt by getting him to read a choose-your-own-adventure novel that plays out similarly to the murder that his uncle allegedly committed. He then faced the difficult decision of whether to nap for awhile instead of confronting his uncle right away.

In accordance with Yorick's guidance, Hamlet's going to leg it right to the courtroom.

Act 3, Scene 1 Full Text

Act 3, Scene 1 posted:

Well, this sucks. You had this perfect plan ready, but if Claudius isn't around then he can't read the book and the whole thing is useless and stupid and you hate it!

You feel some introspection coming on. Yes. Oh man, this is going to be a big one. It's gonna all boil down to this: is it even worth LIVING in a world where things don't always go your way?

Or to put it differently: "being alive is good, or MAYBE... being dead is good?" Or to put it a third, more copula-tastic way: "to be, or not to be?"

Man. This is the big one, Hamlet. This is the speech this book is named after. I guess you'd better talk it out, huh?

CHOOSE WISELY.

You clear your throat and raise one hand in front of you.

We're starting a third of the way into the scene. The start of the scene was Rosencrantz and Guildenstern reporting on Hamlet to Claudius, and Claudius and Polonius arranging for Ophelia to be here and try to look normal so they can watch how Hamlet treats her.

Additionally, in the script, Hamlet didn't just show up in this scene as part of his plan to entrap Claudius; Claudius and Polonius sent for him to come here and then went into hiding. Porkchop Weebottoms is currently being spied on by two people, but that's not on his mind right now -- he's got an important question to answer.

Act 3, Scene 1 posted:

"To be? No, not to be, that is the answer:
Whether 'tis Nobler in the mind to suffer
The Slings and Arrows of outrageous Fortune,
Or to take Arms against a Sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them. Yeah, sounds good,
To die, to sleep no more; and by a sleep, to say I end
The heart-ache, and the thousand Natural shocks
That Flesh is heir to? 'Tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wished, which is why I just Decided to do Thatte,
To die, to sleep, perchance to Dream. Ay, there's the rub,
For in that sleep of death, what dreams may come,
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
May give some pause, but Not Me, I'ma find out Soon
I guess that's why the ladies love me, because
The ladies love a man of action,
And that's what I am,
Ladies."

It's a beautiful speech, and you're not going to come up with any better last words than those.

You chug some poison that's sitting around, but unfortunately you choke on it a little as you drink so your last words are accidentally "Arrghah ggghhhhh bleh."

But nobody's around anyway so no bigs, right?

No bigs!

THE END

Infoblurb posted:

Mike Holmes is an illustrator and comic creator living in Toronto. He's illustrated Adventure Time, Bravest Warriors and drawn or fully created several graphic novels: Shenanigans (Oni Press, 2007), This American Drive (Invisible, 2009) and True Story (Invisible, 2011). He's also published the art collection Mikenesses (2012).

Whoops!

Act 3, Scene 1 posted:

"To be, or not to be, that is the question:
Whether 'tis Nobler in the mind to suffer
The Slings and Arrows of outrageous Fortune,
Or to take Arms against a Sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them: to die, to sleep
No more; and by a sleep, to say we end
The heart-ache, and the thousand Natural shocks
That Flesh is heir to? 'Tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wished. To die, to sleep,
To sleep, perchance to Dream. Ay, there's the rub.
For in that sleep of death, what dreams may come,
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause."

Man. NICELY DONE, Hamlet!

The soliloquy goes on for 20 lines longer in the play, and some of its material is referenced by Ophelia in the game when she's talking to the Ghost King. Either way, the soliloquy ends with Hamlet finally noticing that Ophelia is around.

Act 3, Scene 1 posted:

Weird!! It looks like someone's convinced her that you're not marriage material after all. TO be fair, you did just finish talking out loud about killing yourself.

Huh!

And though I know you're now frantically looking for the "Whatever man, she's just doing this because chicks be crazy" option (Hamlet, you are nothing if not classy), I'm not going to give it to you.

Listen, I'm going to help you out. You think Ophelia's crazy, but maybe... maybe she's just ACTING crazy?

In considering that possibility, you think to yourself that Ophelia doesn't have any real reason for being as upset as she appears to be -- sure, you've kinda ignored her for a few weeks, which was selfish and jerky -- but on the other hand this isn't the first time you've been caught up in something and you're sure she can handle it as she has before, with understanding and not by, you know, ABANDONING THE RELATIONSHIP ENTIRELY IN SOME STUPID CASTLE ROOM.

So maybe it is entirely possible that she's being fake crazy too. Maybe -- maybe because she's figured things out and also wants to murder Claudius?

You decide you need a way to see if she's faking crazy while you're simultaneously also faking crazy without revealing to anyone who may or may not be listening in that you're both actually just faking the crazy.

Porkchop Weebottoms doesn't seem to quite get what's truly going on here, but he is vaguely aware that he's being watched. With Yorick's help, he's going to code-talk like a champion.

Act 3, Scene 1 posted:

I don't think those were the secret code words, bro.

"Um," you say.

Some of the wording in the original text of Hamlet gets fuzzy at this point. For reference:

code:
HAMLET

Ha, ha! are you honest?

OPHELIA

My lord?

HAMLET

Are you fair?

OPHELIA

What means your lordship?

HAMLET

That if you be honest and fair, your honesty should
admit no discourse to your beauty.

OPHELIA

Could beauty, my lord, have better commerce than
with honesty?

HAMLET

Ay, truly; for the power of beauty will sooner
transform honesty from what it is to a bawd than the
force of honesty can translate beauty into his
likeness: this was sometime a paradox, but now the
time gives it proof. I did love you once.

OPHELIA

Indeed, my lord, you made me believe so.

HAMLET

You should not have believed me; for virtue cannot
so inoculate our old stock but we shall relish of
it: I loved you not.

OPHELIA

I was the more deceived.
There's a lot of interpretations for Hamlet's words here. It's fun to read about!

Act 3, Scene 1 posted:

Also, only a fool would marry her, because anyone smart knows that women are awful.

"Why are you saying these horrible, horribly sexist things?" she asks.

I've gotta say... it's a pretty good question?

The script at this point honestly rings with me as Hamlet being in an incoherent rage at this point, but Yorick sees it differently as always.

Act 3, Scene 1 posted:

Okay, you say those things, but you at least clarify that you think women just PRETEND to be dumb to get that sexing they so crave.

You accuse all women of being unfaithful, and you say there should be no more marriages, because they necessarily involve women and women are awful.

There's -- a couple of things wrong with that, actually?

Anyway, you say that people who are already married can stay married, YOU GUESS, except for ONE VERY SPECIAL COUPLE IN PARTICULAR.

You look at her to see if she's getting what you're hinting at. And she looks... super angry, actually!

I don't think you're gonna pull this off, dude!

This whole conversation is an unmitigated fiasco, and if she was just pretending to be mad before, she's seriously furious now.

Congratulations, Hamlet! You just broke up with your girlfriend because you were pretending to be insane and trying to talk in a stupid secret code!

You can't really say you blame her for leaving.

All you have now is your plan to trap Claudius with a choose-your-own-path adventure game, so you go home, rest, and tomorrow, that's exactly what you do.

See you all next time for Act 3, Scene 2.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

:eng101: Fun Shakespeare fact! :eng101:

"Nunnery" was Elizabethan slang for a brothel, so Hamlet is actually laying it on pretty heavy with the whole calling Ophelia a whore thing here (especially after calling Polonius a pimp before that). It's not surprising that she flips her poo poo.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Guitar_Hero posted:

"Nunnery" was Elizabethan slang for a brothel, so Hamlet is actually laying it on pretty heavy with the whole calling Ophelia a whore thing here (especially after calling Polonius a pimp before that). It's not surprising that she flips her poo poo.

When you think you've comprehended one of Shakespeare's sick burns, there was a sicker one sleeping in the depths of history.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Guitar_Hero posted:

The Nunnery Scene and what Shakespeare was getting at with that wording remains debated to this day, from what I can tell. One interpretation I've heard is that Hamlet still loves Ophelia, Ophelia knows he's lying when he says he never loved her, and Hamlet is trying to get her to someplace where she'll be safe from the carnage he's about to unleash on Elsinore.

Today, however, we're moving right along to Act 3, Scene 2! As a warning, it is an extremely long scene in the original script, and might run a bit long here, too.

Case in point, here's the full text!

Act 3, Scene 2 posted:

You look out at the assembled courtiers and see that everyone's here: your mom and stepdad, Polonius, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, a bunch of people you've never met, Ophelia -- the whole gang!

You're still looking around when Horatio comes up behind you and slaps you on the back, in an expertly executed manoeuvre.

"Brotimes! " he says. "How's it going, brotimes?"

"Good," you say. "Listen, can you do me a favour?" You explain that you're going to be watching Claudius closely, but ask if maybe he could keep an eye on him too as he reads.

"You're, um, really good at stuff," you say, wishing that there was somehow a better way to put that.

He agrees that he's pretty great at stuff and consents to do some of that watching stuff for you. Alright. There's nothing left to do, Hamlet! It's go time!

"Hey Claudius!" you say, brandishing your signed copy of Gonzago. "Why don't you read THIS book today?"

"I certainly don't see why not," he says, and you pass him the book.

...Well! We skipped over Hamlet's discussion with the players, since in To Be or Not To Be there aren't any. We also skipped over a few veiled insults thrown at Claudius and Polonius, and are moving right ahead to, oh, this:

Act 3, Scene 2 posted:

When you write your own book, you can fill it with all the "let's have sex in front of my mom and dad" and "hah hah women have different parts than men" jokes that you want, but this is my book and I'm unilaterally deciding, right now, that you don't get to do this.

Instead, you decide to go stand behind your stepdad and watch him read! How's that taste? Does it taste like COMPROMISE? Because it shouldn't. It should taste like FALLING IN LINE.

-- which appears to have been retconned. Whoops!

Act 3, Scene 2 posted:

You are now Claudius, King of Denmark! Your nephew is standing behind you being really annoying!

Hamlet has just given you a book to read and it looks pretty good, actually.

And it's perfect timing, because one of the royal court's favourite activities is to listen to you read a book out loud! Because it's history times and there are no computers yet!

You clear your throat and hold up the book so that everyone in the audience can see.

"Let us begin," you say, bringing the book down and reading the cover. "This story is called The Murder of Gonzago: A 'The Adventure Is Being Chosen by You' Story!"

You look up. "The title goes on for a while after that, but MY first choice is going to be to skip to the first page!" you say.

There is a smattering of polite laughter.

Since Hamlet isn't hanging by Ophelia, we're missing a lot of nervous chatter that amounts to "Porkchop Weebottoms is that guy in the audience who can't loving shut up during the play." That's how I like to see his behavior during the play-within-a-play at least.

Act 3, Scene 2 posted:

The Murder of Gonzago posted:

You are amazing because of all the dragons you control, plus you wear the armour of a skeleton warrior and you wield a battle axe that has the Latin phrase "FACTA NON VERBA" written on it... in BLOOD.

You know what that means? That means "DEEDS, NOT WORDS."

Holy crap, this book is already awesome.

You've been feeling a little jealous lately because your brother, Gonzago, gets to be king, and it occurs to you, maybe if YOU killed him and married his wife, you could be king instead! Maybe you should do that!

Or maybe you should just go slay some skeleton warriors.

This entire sequence runs differently from the play-within-a-play; the villain's name was even changed from Lucianus to Battlelord Pete.

Act 3, Scene 2 posted:

Wait a second. You remind yourself that you did actually just kill your brother, and so maybe reliving the murder in front of the court through the medium of high literature is not the greatest idea?

Around about this time would be when Hamlet would be hissing at the play-within-a-play's villian to get on with it.

Act 3, Scene 2 posted:

Behind you Hamlet whispers to himself, "MAN, I KNEW IT."

You read out loud the text on the page:

You hear your audience murmur in agreement.

Sneaking up on your brother, you notice that he's sleeping on his side. You have some poison in your pocket.

Do you hold his nose and pour the poison into his mouth, pour the poison into his ear, or realize that murder is terrible, leave, and go kill skeletons instead?

They're basically already dead.

If you're trying not to get caught, I really think you should go kill some skeletons.

Another matter that To Be or Not To Be skipped over was that the players were coached by Hamlet to specifically include this scene in their play-within-a-play. It appears to have just happened to be in the CYOA-within-a-CYOA, by contrast.

Act 3, Scene 2 posted:

You pour the poison into his ear. Like all sleeping people, your brother doesn't wake up when cold liquids are poured directly into his ear hole, so this whole thing goes surprisingly well!

Also, who knew that the ears really were the best way to introduce poison into the body? You and I did, obviously, so I guess any medical doctors in the audience who are about to say "excuse me but I studied human bods for six years at the university level" can straight-up go suck a lemon. YOUR BRO IS DEAD.

Congratulations!! Poisons really do work that quickly, and you have just ended a life. Perhaps you'd like to assume your brother's throne now as well?

Behind you, Hamlet whispers to himself, "MAN, THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I SUSPECTED, AND THIS HAS ALLOWED ME TO CONFIRM MY SUSPICIONS PERFECTLY!"

Nice one, Claudius. Hamlet now believes you murdered his father.

It seems you have two choices: you can throw the book down, yell that you hate it, and run out of the room. Or, since an innocent person would not actually react that way, you can just continue playing as if nothing's wrong, thereby NOT instantly confirming your guilt, and instead allow your choices to be read as simple chance.

In the original play, the entire play-within-a-play was an elaborate set-up by Hamlet to entrap Claudius, and succeeded at taking Claudius completely off-guard and giving him the shock of his life. Here, however, the entire CYOA-within-a-CYOA was a shot in the dark by Porkchop Weebottoms to get Claudius to entrap himself, but it's still going to work.

Act 3, Scene 2 posted:

You run into your room in tears and lock the door behind you and throw your face into your pillow and cry.

Well, Claudius, there's no two ways about it: you globbed up big back there.

Back when we were playing as Ophelia, having Claudius abort and flee the room at the start of The Murder of Gonzago caused us to switch right back to Ophelia. That's the only instance in which that can happen; if Claudius had played on to this point, then we still would have switched back to Hamlet. How does To Be or Not To Be deal with this?

Act 3, Scene 2 posted:

He's definitely guilty; this is entirely reasonable; there is absolutely no other conceivable explanation for what you just saw.

After Claudius tore out of the room, your mother followed him, and after she left everyone else left too, leaving the room empty but for you, Ophelia, and Horatio.

"Did you see that? He totally chose the murdery options, and then he freaked out!" you say, really excited.

"There's no denying that!" says Horatio.

"This means the spooky ghost was correct!" you say. Ophelia looks at you for a moment and then opens her mouth to speak.

Wait, hold on, I can't remember -- you've made a lot of crazy choices.

Did you and Ophelia break up the last time you saw her?

Like this -- by using a single option to branch all the converged paths back out. I can't actually hold this kind of construction against Ryan North to control flow using mechanics like this, even if it means bizarrely I-want-to-pick-that options such as "If you have a nuclear bomb, turn to page 68."

Act 3, Scene 2 posted:

Okay! So you've just said, "This means the spooky ghost was correct!" and Ophelia has looked at you strangely, and now she's speaking.

"A ghost?!" she says. "You're crazy."

Then she looks at Horatio and says, "You're crazy too," and then she looks at you again, sighs and says, "I don't even know why I'm here," and leaves, shoving past Rosencrantz and Guildenstern in the doorway.

Looks like you two are still broken up, which makes you sad! But on the plus side, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are totally awesome. Bros before woes!!

You're about to greet your best bros with your choice of high fives, slaps on the back, or hugs all around, when Guildenstern holds up his hand and speaks.

"Your mom wants to see you," he says. "As you know, in this time period if you want to talk to someone, you have to literally walk over to where they are to chat them up, which I can hardly believe. Anyway, she's lazy so she wants you to walk to her instead."

"Dude. She said she's 'stonished by your behaviour," Rosencrantz adds.

"'Stonished isn't real slang," you say.

"Just trying it out," Rosencrantz says, and you high five to linguistic experimentation.

"Well, I guess I"m off to see her," you say. Just then, Polonius enters the room and says, "Hey, your mother wants to see you."

"I KNOW; NOBODY WANTS YOU HERE, POLONIUS!" you yell at him. "GOD, I COULD JUST STAB YOU THROUGH A CURTAIN."

Hey, that gives you an idea!

This is a recurring theme in To Be or Not To Be: In the original script, Hamlet is very, very not okay with Rosencrantz & Guildenstern's presence and interference in matters. He's very aware that they're spying on him, and we're skipping over a rather wonderful sequence in which Hamlet tries to get Guildenstern to play a recorder.

That being said, the "go stab Polonius through a curtain" choice at this juncture leads to something truly magical. If anybody else wants to show what that choice leads to, they're welcome to!

For now, see you all next time for Act 3, Scene 3 and the rest of Act 3 at the same time.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 14, 2015

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

There is actually a possible explanation for the ear poisoning; basically, since antibiotics didn't exist yet ear infections were a common source of eardrum perforations, and if your eardrum is perforated there's a eustachian tube that becomes accessible that drains from the ear into the throat meaning that you can take a poison that normally needs to be swallowed and instead of pouring it in the mouth where anyone checking for poison might check out first, you can pour it in the ear to avoid leaving otherwise well-understood traces. It's not necessarily the whole of it or foolproof but it's interesting all the same.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

There is actually a possible explanation for the ear poisoning; basically, since antibiotics didn't exist yet ear infections were a common source of eardrum perforations, and if your eardrum is perforated there's a eustachian tube that becomes accessible that drains from the ear into the throat meaning that you can take a poison that normally needs to be swallowed and instead of pouring it in the mouth where anyone checking for poison might check out first, you can pour it in the ear to avoid leaving otherwise well-understood traces. It's not necessarily the whole of it or foolproof but it's interesting all the same.

That's really cool! I had never given the ear-poisoning too much thought, other than as being sufficiently unusual that Hamlet could eventually find a way to pin it back on the murderer.

I always just looked at the ear poisoning and thought to myself "Man, that must be some really loving nasty poison if it got into his bloodstream that way," especially given the graphic details that Hamlet Sr. shares:

code:
Upon my secure hour thy uncle stole,
With juice of cursed hebenon in a vial,
And in the porches of my ears did pour
The leperous distilment; whose effect
Holds such an enmity with blood of man
That swift as quicksilver it courses through
The natural gates and alleys of the body,
And with a sudden vigour doth posset
And curd, like eager droppings into milk,
The thin and wholesome blood: so did it mine;
And a most instant tetter bark'd about,
Most lazar-like, with vile and loathsome crust,
All my smooth body.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Sep 15, 2015

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Today I learned something I did not know about poisoning people through their ears.

I wonder if it was supposed to be, like, shorthand for Claudius being a tricksy bastard.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Glazius posted:

I wonder if it was supposed to be, like, shorthand for Claudius being a tricksy bastard.

It's probably both. Shakespeare was a pretty good author like that.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Glazius posted:

Today I learned something I did not know about poisoning people through their ears.

It does explain why he was so careful to poison both ears :aaa:

Today, we're picking up where we left off at the start of Act 3. Claudius has run away screaming, and Hamlet has been summoned to his mom's chamber for a stern talking-to. Hamlet is heading in that direction right now.

Act 3, Scene 3 full text

We're starting partway through this scene. The first half is Claudius talking to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, making arrangements to send Hamlet off to England, and also Polonius making plans to spy on Hamlet when he visits his mother.

Act 3, Scene 3 posted:

I guess after he ran off to his room, he decided to go to church to pray instead?

He's such a wiener.

Wait a minute.

YOU COULD TOTALLY KILL HIM IN A CHURCH.

Yorick is very excited about getting his handsjawbone on a fancy new sword.

Act 3, Scene 3 posted:

The murder of your dad?

The murder that makes you so mad you want to commit the murder act on him?

You unsheathe your sword and raise it above his head.

But wait -- if he's praying right now, then doesn't that mean that -- according to religion -- his soul is pure with all its sins confessed?

If you kill him, he'll die with HIS soul more pure than that of your father when he died.

Hardly seems fair, does it?

Wait, is it still "cool" to murder a jerk if they're praying? Is there a page in the Bible on that or something?

In the original script of Hamlet, our hero concludes that since Claudius is in prayer, he might go to heaven instead of hell if he's killed at this juncture. Hamlet saw what happened to his father, who died suddenly while napping and didn't have a chance to confess his sins, and so wound up in purgatory, and is enduring all kinds of unspeakable punishments even there. The Christian afterlife is harsh like that. Hamlet really wants Claudius to go to hell, so he doesn't wind up better off than Hamlet Sr. did. Thus, he's going to decide to wait to kill Claudius until he's just done something amazingly lovely, like gently caress Hamlet's mom again.

Act 3, Scene 3 posted:

Don't worry -- I get it.

You're afraid that if you kill Claudius the book will end, and you don't want it to be over yet! I have nobody to blame but myself, I suppose.

I wrote an adventure that was simply too awesome!

Anyway -- onward, to adventure!! To an adventure that is so awesome I hope it never ends and this book becomes a prison for both of us!

That wraps up Act 3, Scene 3! If you want to see another way this scene could have played out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBtBEUYNaXM&t=49s

We'll move right along to Scene 4.

Act 3, Scene 4 full text

Act 3, Scene 4 posted:

Moms, am I right?

Okay, I'm going to interrupt the story here to tell you that this isn't going to go well for you no matter what you do.

I'm spinning around a chair so it's backwards and I'm sitting on it, straddling the back of the chair with my legs, so you know we're about to have some Real Talk.

You know how in this story you've been choosing the crazy options and doing some crazy stuff? Here's the thing.

Sometimes people do that in real life, with their own actual real-life lives. I don't know why, but they do it and it happens.

Just throwing this out there, but your mom has married her husband's brother-murderer, and literally served appetizers left over from his funeral at the wedding.

This is an actual thing she, a queen of comfortable, can certainly-afford-more-appetizers means, decided to do.

She's not in the best frame of mind, and I've been minimizing her role in the story as much as possible in order not to embarrass her and to give her some space, but you're talking to her now and there's not much I can do to avoid it.

Try to understand if she acts crazy.

Okay, lecture over! I'm turning the chair back to its normal orientation. We don't have to rap about our feelings anymore.

"Hey Hamlet," Gertrude says. "Listen, you were a dick when you messed up Claudius's reading earlier."

"I didn't mess up anything!" you say. "He's the one who read the murdery options! If anyone messed up, it's YOU, because you married Dad's brother and that's messed up, MOM."

I thought we were going to be nice to her?

Your mom looks at you like she's seeing you for the first time. "What are you going to do: murder me? ARE YOU GOING TO MURDER ME??" your mom asks.

Terrific.

"No, Mom, I'm not going to murder you." you say, holding your palms out in front of you in what you hope reads as a "be cool" motion.

"Why would you even think that? Oh, is it because I'm wearing a sword? Listen, all the princes wear swords these da--"

"Help!!" she screams at the top of her lungs.

A voice from behind the curtain says, "What?! Help! Help!!"

It seems your mom has a spy eavesdropping on this little conversation!

Remember what I said before about giving her the benefit of the doubt?

This is kinda the perfect chance to give her the benefit of the doubt.

Gertrude also was fully aware that Polonius was spying on Hamlet in her room, and in fact was letting Polonius tell her what to say to Hamlet when he showed up. However, it didn't go to well:

code:
QUEEN GERTRUDE

Hamlet, thou hast thy father much offended.

HAMLET

Mother, you have my father much offended.
:iceburn:

However, she did manage to piss Hamlet enough that he up and did this:

Act 3, Scene 4 posted:

Anyway, you throw "being nice to the woman who gave birth to you" out the window, and you give the curtain the ol' stabby-me-do and kill whoever's behind it.

"Lo, I am slain," he says, though it sounds kinda like "Lol, I am slain," which you think would've been funnier.

But wait a second! The voice sounds like... Polonius?

"What have you done?" screams your mother. Thinking quickly, you say, "Nothing as bad as killing a king and marrying his wife!"

"What?! I didn't murder anyone!" she says.

"Okay, NO, obviously," you say. "But Claudius did and then you married him! Besides, maybe I thought the guy behind the curtain was Claudius and therefore I was... doing a good deed?"

"How is it a good deed to kill my husband?" asks your mom. "And besides, didn't you see him praying on your way here? We both know he's in the church. He can't be in two places at once."

"Um," you say.

Turning away from the body, you start yelling at your mom, saying how great Dad was, how awful Claudius is, and how she traded the best dude ever for the worst dude ever in time and finally how she's pretty dumb and awful and too old for love anyway. You say all these things to your own mother. You reduce her to tears.

"You've made me feel horrible about my marriage," she says, pitifully.

"When you have sex, it's awful and it makes the bed all greasy," you reply.

Wow.

Suddenly, a ghost appears! TWIST!!

Act 3, Scene 4 posted:

"Didn't I ask you to kill Claudius?" the ghost says. "So far all you've done is watch someone else read a book and then kill your girlfriend's dad."

"It's -- complicated?" you say.

"Who are you talking to?" asks Gertrude.

"MOM, I'M TALKING TO THE GHOST OF MY DEAD DAD," you yell. "I TALKED TO HIM BEFORE AND EVERYONE SAW HIM THEN; I DUNNO WHY YOU CAN'T SEE HIM NOW; I DUNNO WHAT HIS DEAL IS."

"Aw geez, you're crazy. My son is bonkers," your mom says to herself, drying her tears.

To be fair, you do look a little crazy. Ghost Dad reminds you that you're supposed to be murdering Claudius, not Polonius, and he doesn't really see how cussing out his widow is helping anything. Be nice to her, he says.

"Also," he says, "I'm pretty sure she's conflicted about this whole, um, marriage to my brother thing that I guess is going on, so maybe you could talk to her about that?"

"But DAD," you say.

"Hamlet," he says, frowning as he disappears.

"FINE," you say. "Hey Mom, um, how's it going? Listen, stop having sex with Claudius, okay?"

She slaps you across the face. Maybe that's why people don't usually discuss sex lives with their moms? Who knows??

"Look Mom, I'm not really crazy, but don't tell anyone, okay?" you say, gingerly touching your face where she hit you.

"What is crazy is what you've been doing. This marriage to your husband's brother: it's gross; we all think it's gross. I know you're not happy about it. I know that, Mom."

"Hamlet --" she begins, but you cut her off.

"It's not too late, Mom. If you can't be good, maybe tonight you can just -- pretend to be good? And then keep pretending to be good night after night, and it'll get easier."

"And by 'pretend to be good,' I mean 'make yourself unavailable to Claudius sexually and emotionally.'"

Your mom's crying again, but quietly. She looks up at you.

"Alright," she says. "Alright."

"I'm proud of you, Mom," you say. "Listen, I've got to go. I kinda killed Polonius by accident, and I'm gonna go lay low for a while."

"Okay," she says. "Toodles."

The above decision is actually a bit of a tough nut to crack in the original script:

code:
QUEEN GERTRUDE

What shall I do?

HAMLET

Not this, by no means, that I bid you do:
Let the bloat king tempt you again to bed;
Pinch wanton on your cheek; call you his mouse;
And let him, for a pair of reechy kisses,
Or paddling in your neck with his drat'd fingers,
Make you to ravel all this matter out,
That I essentially am not in madness,
But mad in craft. 'Twere good you let him know;
For who, that's but a queen, fair, sober, wise,
Would from a paddock, from a bat, a gib,
Such dear concernings hide? who would do so?
No, in despite of sense and secrecy,
Unpeg the basket on the house's top.
Let the birds fly, and, like the famous ape,
To try conclusions, in the basket creep,
And break your own neck down.
Also, this entire scene is given a disturbingly sexual interpretation in the 1990 film adaptation of Hamlet starring Mel Gibson.

Act 3, Scene 4 posted:

Oh, Hamlet. What are we going to do with you, Hamlet?

On your way out the door, you bump into your bros Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.

"You wanna get out of here?" you say, and they concede that they would like to party on a boat.

You know what? That sounds nice. Sort of give everyone space, you know, while also standing around on a positively buoyant vessel? It sounds real nice.

"There's a boat headed for England in just a few hours!" you say. You know this because boats to England are kind of a big deal.

You send some servants to clean up crazy ol' dead Polonius and another to be there for your mother, and you pack your bags.

A few hours later, you and your bros are partying on a boat!

We've started to encroach slightly on Act 4, but that's fine, because that act is long as hell, and consists of seven scenes. We're skipping over a few matters as well: Rather than have servants tend to Polonius's body, Hamlet chops it into pieces and hides it. When questioned about it by Claudius, Hamlet has this to say:

code:
KING CLAUDIUS

Now, Hamlet, where's Polonius?

HAMLET

At supper.

KING CLAUDIUS

At supper! where?

HAMLET

Not where he eats, but where he is eaten: a certain
convocation of politic worms are e'en at him. Your
worm is your only emperor for diet: we fat all
creatures else to fat us, and we fat ourselves for
maggots: your fat king and your lean beggar is but
variable service, two dishes, but to one table:
that's the end.

KING CLAUDIUS

Alas, alas!

HAMLET

A man may fish with the worm that hath eat of a
king, and cat of the fish that hath fed of that worm.

KING CLAUDIUS

What dost you mean by this?

HAMLET

Nothing but to show you how a king may go a
progress through the guts of a beggar.

KING CLAUDIUS

Where is Polonius?

HAMLET

In heaven; send hither to see: if your messenger
find him not there, seek him i' the other place
yourself. But indeed, if you find him not within
this month, you shall nose him as you go up the
stairs into the lobby.
See you all next time for... something that might not have much to do with Act 4 at all.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 23, 2015

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Wow, I forgot just how bitter Hamlet is in this part.

I wonder how a CYOA of King Lear would go? Many more potential routes, anyways.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
C'mon Hamlet Sr., at least have the decency to corporealize a little for your wife. I realize you're still kind of cheesed at her but I'm also pretty sure that staying cheesed off at people is why there are even ghosts to begin with.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Decoy Badger posted:

Wow, I forgot just how bitter Hamlet is in this part.

I wonder how a CYOA of King Lear would go? Many more potential routes, anyways.

Would be a neat concept, though Ryan North appears to be currently focused on making a choose-your-own-adventure of Romeo & Juliet.

Not to say that I don't think Hamlet could have had a shitload of alternate routes that are more story-relevant, too. That's actually the subject of some other kickstarter that I wound up backing for some reason. I'm sorta interested to see what they manage to do.

For now, though, we're going to continue To Be or Not To Be, where Hamlet just got on a party boat and is having the time of his life.

Act 4? posted:

Poor Porkchop's bringing along a lot of baggage, it seems.

Act 4? posted:

But instead you're running away and partying on a boat??

I'm calling it: YOU ARE THE WORST BOYFRIEND AND/OR EX-BOYFRIEND EVER.

But you're on this boat and it's set sail for England, so there's not much you can do.

None of this really corresponds to anything in the original script of Hamlet, so linking to full text won't be of too much help. Most of Act 4 is scenes in which Hamlet doesn't appear at all.

The one exception is the following segment: Act 4, Scene 4 full text

Act 4, Scene 4 posted:

I'm serious, there's got to be 20,000 people all crammed onto a single ship.

The ship is too far away from you to communicate by talking or even shouting, but luckily you brought semaphore flags and are fully trained in their use.

And, AS YOU KNOW, by holding up the two coloured flags in different positions, you can spell out letters of the alphabet! And in response, folks on the other ship can send messages back to you.

"Hey, Hamlet here! What's going on?" you say in semaphore.

"Hey Hamlet, we were sent by Prince Fortinbras from Norway -- he's kinda a rough equivalent of you, come to think of it?"

"Anyway, he's on board and we're all going to fight over some really terrible land that sucks," comes the signed reply.

"Really?" you signal.

"Yeah it's totally sucky land, but what are you gonna do? Fighters gonna fight," he signals, "and we're happy to do it."

"'Kay thanks," you reply in flag-talk.

Wow. Fortinbras and his army are ready to fight over something entirely useless, and the Polish are willing to defend it too!

These people will fight and kill over NOTHING. And you can't even kill your uncle even though you have totally valid reasons!

I'm not sure why the setting was moved from a plain where Hamlet is journeying toward a ship to said ship, but eh.

Act 4, Scene 4 posted:

Here's what you say!

Witness this army of such mass and charge
Led by a delicate and tender prince,
Whose spirit with divine ambition puff'd
Makes mouths at the invisible event,
Exposing what is mortal and unsure
To all that fortune, death, and danger dare,
Even for an egg-shell. Rightly to be great
Is not to stir without great argument,
But greatly to find quarrel in a straw
When honour's at the stake. How stand I then,
That have a father kill'd, a mother stain'd,
Excitements of my reason and my blood,
And let all sleep? while, to my shame, I see
The imminent death of twenty thousand men,
That, for a fantasy and trick of fame,
Go to their graves like beds, fight for a plot
Whereon the numbers cannot try the cause,
Which is not tomb enough and continent
To hide the slain? O, from this time forth,
My thoughts be bloody, or be nothing worth!

Not bad, not bad! Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are polite enough to pretend not to hear. They're so great.

To parse this better: The patch of land that Fortinbras is going to fight Poland over is too small for the whole of Fortinbras's army to even fight Poland's on. It's not even big enough to serve as a grave for all of the thousands of soldiers who are going to die fighting over it.

Act 4, Scene 4 thus concludes. We now get back to... whatever's going on.

Act 4? posted:

You and Rosencrantz and Guildenstern stumble off to your quarters, three awesome dudes in one awesome room.

One awesome... PARTY ROOM??

The next day, you wake up, still feeling the effects of the previous night's partying. You put on your shirt but it feels different -- turns out it's Rosencrantz's shirt!

Wow. As you pull it off, a letter falls out of the pocket. Rosencrantz wakes up, teases you for wearing his clothes, and then notices the letter.

"Hey Hamlet, you dropped something," he says.

"No man," you say, "it's your letter. This is your shirt." You pass him the garment. He has the shirt.

"It's not my letter, bro," he says, pulling it over his head. "Someone must've slipped it to me sometime yesterday. What's it say?"

Flipping it over, you notice it's got a royal seal on the back.

"It's from King Claudius!" you say.

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern say the following:

"Whaaaaaaaaaat??"

Everything that takes place on the ship to England is discussed after the fact by Hamlet in the original script, including this encounter with the letters carried by Rosencrantz and Guildenstern. It runs a bit differently in the script, though.

Act 4? posted:

Listen, we get along pretty well, right? And both our countries are in pretty good shape.

Anyway, it'd be really convenient for me (and it would help both our countries STAY in good shape) if you could kill Hamlet for me real quick. It's not that big a deal, just kill him okay?

Cool? Cool.

P.S. I'm 100% serious please kill him right now.

You and Rosencrantz and Guildenstern stare at each other for a long moment. Looks like this whole time while you were planning to kill Claudius, he was also planning to kill you!

"Dude, are you scoping this letter's CHOICE ASSASSINATION ORDERS?" asks Rosencrantz.

"I told you, man! I TOLD YOU ABOUT CLAUDIUS," Guildenstern yells.

"Maybe he heard my free verse from last night?" you say. "It was extremely tight."

For instance, in the script, Hamlet didn't trust Rosencrantz & Guildenstern at all, and for good reason: They knew exactly what they were carrying, and Hamlet had to steal it from them while they slept to get a look. Upon finding the letters, he replaced them with a forgery ordering that Rosencrantz and Guildenstern be executed immediately. Instead of all that, in To Be or Not To Be, Porkchop Weebottoms decides to handle things like this:

Act 4? posted:

• You replace the letter with a forgery you wrote together that reads: "Hey King, can you make it so that Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are given fancy houses and made princes and given all the cool things it is possible to have as they are extremely awesome, but please do not mention this letter or its contents ever again to me, Claudius, the man who is writing this letter right now. If you do see me and this letter comes up and then I claim I did not ask for these things, I am lying. I like to pretend sometimes that I didn't write letters, but it's just pretend, hah hah. I can never take this back. Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are awesome. Hamlet's rad too. Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are way awesome though."
  • You replace the official seal with a forgery. Since you're wearing a ring and it bears the royal seal, this is surprisingly easy!
  • You decide that Rosencrantz and Guildenstern will deliver the letter while you catch the next boat back to Denmark to kill Claudius!
  • You're at this stage in fulfilling the plan when pirates attack!

Oops. See you next time for more things that might seem a bit out of place!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Party on, Rosencrantz. Party on, Guildenstern.

I'm glad Claudius has wised up and is planning to get some counter-kills in.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Ah, here comes one of the scenes he was selling you on for the Kickstarter.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Murdered by pirates is good.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Last time, in To Be or Not To Be, Hamlet got on a party boat! There, he and his buddies Rosencrantz and Guildenstern uncovered a plot to have him executed as soon as he reaches England.

Because Hamlet's a pretty easygoing guy, and because Rosencrantz and Guildenstern have been pretty cool to him, he replaced the execution order with a forged letter asking the king of England to shower Rosencrantz and Guildenstern with riches and comforts for the rest of their lives. However, before they get there, they and Hamlet need to deal with a sudden pirate attack!

Act 4? posted:

Let me set the scene: you, Rosencrantz, and Guildenstern rush above-decks at the sound of the lookout yelling, "Pirates ho!"

Following his arm pointing to the horizon, you see a ship sailing directly towards you with alarming speed, her disguise of a Danish flag being lowered as a black flag with a grinning skull and crossbones unfurls in its place.

It's pretty badass! Behind her a huge storm has gathered, lightning striking into the water. Both are headed straight for you.

She's a magnificent ship, a three-masted beauty running 50 metres long from bow to stern. She slices cleanly through the sea with the wind filling her sails: 1,400 tons of boat, a symphony of wood, cloth, brass, and iron. She's as tall as she is long, with each of her masts proudly carrying four gargantuan rectangular sails. Rigging of baffling complexity stretches between each mast, its crossbars, and the side of her hull.

She carries 26 cannons on her port side and 26 on her starboard, each loaded and at the ready, and she's running with her gunports open. She also sails with two forward-facing cannons mounted on her bow, beneath which protrudes the beautifully carved figure of a mermaid. Over 150 strong and able men -- all pirates -- call her home.

The painted and polished red wooden letters affixed to her hull betray her name: Calypso's Gale.

You, on the other hand, are on a party boat, the HDMS Vesselmania IV. Your boat is a mere 100 tons, her armaments a slight six cannons per side. Vesselmania's two smaller masts bear a single triangular sail each. Her crew of 20 is inexperienced and young. Her captain, with whom you've had only a passing acquaintance, seems fresh out of captain school, if that is even a thing.

He's there at your side now, barking orders left and right. Men haul up the sails and run below-decks to prepare the cannons. It is a scene of barely controlled chaos, and that's when you hear the first report of cannonfire. Both shots hit their target.

The pirates are firing chain shot: two cannonballs tied together with a length of heavy chain, stuffed into a single cannon, designed to tear apart sails and rigging as they blast through it. The first shot tears apart some of the rigging on your forward sail, but luckily, nothing critical is damaged. The second shot hits low, and instead of tearing into the sails, it decapitates the captain in an instant. His headless, bloody body drops at your feet.

That pirate ship is seriously huge. For reference, its tonnage is about that of the Vasa launched by Sweden in 1628, 25-ish years after Hamlet is supposed to have been written. The year that Hamlet is set in is not certain, but is hinted at being even earlier. Calypso's Gale might very well be the largest warship in the world in this timeline.

Act 4? posted:

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern take one look at the bloody corpse of the captain lying at your feet and rush below-decks, tripping over each other on their way down the ladder.

The first mate is staring at the captain's body in shock. A huge burst of lightning flashes across the darkening sky, and rain begins to fall on Vesselmania's deck.

Calypso's Gale is gaining on you, and her forward cannons are being reloaded. The distance between the two ships is decreasing by the second.

The non-Yorick option is an instant game over, by the way, and a shameful one.

Act 4? posted:

The crew acquiesces easily: you're the oldest person on board, and you are also royalty. Lucky for you!

"Report!" you order.

"Mainsail is undamaged; adjunct rigging of the secondary sail has been destroyed by cannonshot but repair crews have been dispatched," replies your first mate. "Hull integrity at 92%. We're sailing in a broad reach."

You recall enough sailor talk to know that means the wind is at your back, but you're sailing at a slight angle to it. It's the safest way to travel, as travelling with the wind exactly at your back makes for a faster but less stable boat. You normally want to minimize your chances of losing control.

On the other hand, with pirates on your tail, maybe now isn't the time to worry about safety.

At this exact moment, back at Elsinore Castle, Ophelia is discovering her father's corpse. This piled on top of everything else happening to her causes her to snap; in fact she goes completely insane.

Act 4? posted:

"Set sails leeward! We'll be running before the wind, boys!"

The crew adjusts the sails quickly, and you can feel it as the boat gains speed.

You look behind you, expecting to see Calypso's Gale fade from view, but even with the wind fully at your back, the pirate ship is still gaining.

It wasn't enough.

Calypso's Gale fires again, and chain shot tears through Vesselmania's stern and exits through the port side of the hull, thankfully above the water line.

"Orders, Captain?"

You stare at Calypso's Gale through a spyglass. The square shape of her rigging reminds you of something...

There are multiple paths through this entire sequence that lead to a safe outcome and advance the story without just dropping us into an ending along the way. The Yorick skulls mark only one such path. Admittedly, having them around takes a lot of the tension out of this, since you always have a safe option -- sometimes the only safe option -- clearly marked in front of you. This is in contrast to Ophelia's murder spree and chess showdown, which is so completely off-script that Yorick isn't there to help you at all, so you're always forced to think about your decisions.

Act 4? posted:

"Of course!" you say. The pirate captain did what you would have done in his position: he's chosen the most favourable angle of attack!

He's coming in with the wind fully at his back, because that's when his boat is fastest. Those square-rigged sails are terrific at catching the wind, and he's got lots of them, but their disadvantage is that they can't be adjusted quickly. Every change requires the crew to climb up and change the rigging on each sail individually.

You, on the other hand, can adjust your two triangular sails quickly, and it can be done at deck level!

If you come about into the storm while maintaining a slight angle away from it, you should be able to turn around, maintain speed, slip past Calypso's Gale, and be long gone before she can even begin to turn!

It's your only hope.

You lower the spyglass, lock eyes with your first mate, and shout your orders over the roar of the storm.

I don't know how much research Ryan North did for this sequence, and wouldn't necessarily fault him for just saying fuckit and trying to write a story instead. Case in point, Chris Hastings of Dr. McNinja said recently that he used to thoroughly research the medical and scientific underpinnings to anything taking place in his story, only to get a bunch of emails telling him that he got it all wrong anyway. Eventually he just gave up and started doing this.

Act 4? posted:

Huge white-capped waves crest and splash over the deck.

"Hold on, men!" you shout into the gale. Your ship heels over, almost capsizing with the intensity of the turn, but the sails keep just clear of the water and the manoeuvre is successful.

As she rights herself, you see Calypso's Gale ahead of you, bearing down, still at speed. All you need to do is pass by her side and you'll be free.

"Steady! STEADY!" you shout as the two ships approach each other, Vesselmania slipping by on the right.

Looking at the crew of the pirate ship, you see them scrambling into the rigging, adjusting their sails as fast as they can. It shouldn't be enough.

It shouldn't be.

But they're not trying to come about. They're not trying to sidle up parallel to fire their cannons.

Instead, they've thrown the rudder hard to port, sending the ship into a tight curve. They're attempting to ram you, Hamlet.

"Hard to starboard! HARD TO STARBOARD!" you scream, but there's not enough time. Calypso's Gale tears into the side of your ship at full speed. You and the rest of the crew are knocked to the deck as Vesselmania is cleaved almost in two.

You scramble to your feet and see that she's somehow managed to stay together, impaled on the much larger bow of Calypso's Gale. But she's mortally wounded. She's filling with water as we speak, Hamlet!

Looking up through the storm, you see ropes being thrown over the edge of the pirate ship. Pirates are sliding down them, swords at the ready, hoping to kill you and take whatever valuables they can find before Vesselmania finally capsizes. Given her current condition, they'd better be fast.

You'd better be fast too, whatever it is you decide to do next!

Porkchop Weebottoms is currently zero-for-two on captaincy skill. His first order was ineffectual at getting his ship away; his second order got his ship absolutely destroyed.

Act 4? posted:

"You want us to jump into the ocean?" someone yells.

"I don't want you to jump into the ocean!" you reply. You bite down on the blade of your sword and begin to climb one of the ropes leading up to the pirate ship. Some of your men nearby realize what you're doing and join in, climbing up other ropes.

Part way up, you turn around, grasp your sword, and shout down at your remaining crew:

"I WANT YOU TO JUMP INTO THE FIGHT!!"

Your crew shouts in defiance at the pirates, charges the ropes, and begins to climb.

At this exact moment, back at Elsinore Castle, Ophelia is stumbling around howling out filthy songs and shoving ragged bundles of flowers into people's hands, the types of flowers being in accordance with whatever the language of flowers says about each particular person. There are a great many Hamlet paintings depicting Ophelia in this sorry state.

Act 4? posted:

You hold tight to the rope as the force of the explosion reaches you, shooting debris upwards into the sky, taking your captain's hat with it, and messing up your hair.

Looking downward, you see the entire top deck of Vesselmania has been destroyed, revealing fires raging underneath. There's no way anyone could've survived.

You hope Rosencrantz and Guildenstern made it above-decks in time, but there's too much storm for you to make out the others on the ropes below you clearly.

Aww, Yorick :smith:

Act 4? posted:

If you want to do that, you should play my other book, God: The Adventure! Decide How Each of Billions of Individual Stories End! Fun at first, Tedious Soon After (So Many Lives Are Depressingly Similar).

PERSONALLY though, I hope Rosencrantz and Guildenstern survived, and I think that probably that counts for something?

Suddenly, lightning strikes the water below! A huge roar of thunder deafens you, but in that brief instant, the world is illuminated.

You see your young crew of almost 20 (both by count and by age), cutlasses at the ready, fighting as they climb. Pirates swarm down the lines, battling them for sport. Above them, on deck, they're being cheered on by a row of pirates.

And at the very bow of the ship, looking down with a spyglass, stands the captain. He's got a fancy hat and a parrot on his shoulder: the works. And he's staring right at you through the storm.

The darkness of the storm is restored moments later. You grimly resume your climb.

This is getting into territory that isn't necessarily easy to reproduce on stage.

Act 4? posted:

Before it comes to that, however, you brace your legs against the hull of Calypso's Gale.

As the pirate approaches you, you push off with all your strength, sending you both into the darkness, hanging in space out above the ocean.

You were ready for this; the pirate wasn't. You wield your sword and stab upwards, sending it cleanly through the surprised pirate's butt (hah hah, sweet). You hear him scream as he falls, and then you hear a small splash as he hits the ocean. Looking up, you see another pirate already climbing down to take his place.

The same trick isn't going to work twice, Hamlet!

At this exact moment, back at Elsinore Castle, Claudius has tried to keep Polonius's death under wraps by having him buried in secret. The air in Denmark is thick with rumors. Upon hearing that something may have happened, Laertes hightails it out of France, stirs up a rebellion, and assaults Elsinore head-on.

Act 4? posted:

The pirate seems reluctant, until you tell him that he's a disappointment to his family, and how the grief and shame of having a child who grew up to work as a pirate -- who BECAME a pirate -- seems so colossal to your parents, and yet at the same time also so private and personal that they rarely speak of him, even to each other.

They live with this invisible wall between them, always preventing them from being as close as they used to be, as they want to be again, the subject of their son somehow always in mind but never broached.

His parents, who used to tell each other everything, now go to bed in silence, and this pirate's actions -- HIS choices -- have created this thing, untouchable, unreal, that nevertheless heartlessly and inexorably drives his parents a little more into solitude each day. They've become strangers to each other.

The pirate hollers in rage at your way-sick diss and begins climbing down.

When he's close, you brace your legs against the hull and push, but the pirate is ready for it and holds on tight.

What he's not ready for is the fact you pushed at an angle, sending you out into space and then back to the ship further to the left of where you had been. You grab another rope and in the same smooth action reach up and send your sword through his rope, just above of where he's holding.

You watch as man and rope fall, silhouetted by the burning deck of Vesselmania IV. They disappear into the flames.

"You're fired," you say.

You manage to climb up quite a bit before another pirate takes his place.

That insult is probably one of my favorite bits of the book right there.

Act 4? posted:

You push out from the ship, use your legs as a battering ram, and smash your way inside through a porthole.

You manage somehow to hit the deck, roll, and leap to your feet in one impressively smooth motion.

Unfortunately, there's nobody around to see it, as everyone is above-decks engaged in battle. And you've landed in the captain's quarters!

Around you are the accoutrements of command, the ship's log, and -- YES, a sword. A much nicer sword, actually, than the one you started this journey with. You decide to take it.

You are now wielding the fancy sword!

You don't care that you lost your other sword. It sucks now.

You kick down the door (it has a handle but things were just going that way) and take the ladder to the top deck. You push open the trap door and climb out.

In front of you is an epic battle: your crew taking on two, sometimes three pirates at a time. It's amazing.

Each success seems to fuel them further, each pirate body hitting the deck only adding to their experience points. You can almost see them levelling up as you watch, and it's like all their perks are being invested in battle techniques.

Suddenly, you feel a cold tap on your shoulder. Turning around, you find yourself face to face with the pirate captain.

You both raise your swords as you leap into your duelling stances. A pause, and then you rush each other, swords clashing.

You thrust and parry back and forth until a moment comes when your swords catch each other, and in that sudden silence you stare across your blades into each other's eyes.

"You fight like a dairy farmer," he says.

"How appropriate. You fight like a -- OW!" you say, as he slices at your arm, cutting you. It was superficial this time. You're lucky, dude!

The pirate captain gloats at first blood, pointing to you and calling you a bunch of very unkind names that I'm not going to say here, because I don't want you to throw down this book so you can try to find and murder this pirate in real life!

Just take my word for it: the things he says about you are that bad.

Looks like we've got a bossfight on our hands. This isn't a Monkey Island pirate; insults are only going to go so far.

Act 4? posted:

The momentum from the blow carries his hand up into the air, and you both watch (he in shock, you in surprise at how good this awesome sword is), as his detached hand describes an arc directly towards you.

It hits your chest with a bloody splat.

Though a well-timed quip or two can still help turn the tide.

Act 4? posted:

The two of you circle each other, flurries of swordplay erupting whenever one of you detects an opportunity. Despite his injury, neither of you is able to gain the advantage on the rain-soaked deck of the ship.

Suddenly, lightning strikes the brass rail behind the pirate captain, and he's briefly stunned by the tremendous thunder that follows.

You're stunned as well but, being a few feet away, you recover more quickly.

You've just got to make sure that each hit stings your opponent as much as your words do.

Act 4? posted:

He screams and tries to attack you with his other arm, but a second later you've cut that one off at the elbow too.

You both look down at his now-useless arms, lying on the deck, one hand still clutching his sword.

The perfect thing to deadpan suddenly comes to mind, the words crystallizing in your head like they were written for you by the very gods themselves:

Actually, I lied. This entire sequence is one big railroad.

Act 4? posted:

You can't let your guard down. He'll take you apart with his teeth if you let him.

Want to see what I mean? Here. This is the bossfight with the pirate captain. All of it.

There is literally no way to lose to the pirate captain, and every decision in the tree just leads to the next decision in the tree, up until the killing blow.

Act 4? posted:

"Save your breath," you say. You take a step back and slice off the captain's chin, sending it flying into the rigging.

"Come on, keep your chin up!" you yell, slicing again at his face. You cut off the tip of his nose and it flies overboard.

"You know what they say," you say grimly, taking your sword in both hands. "Follow your nose."

With one huge strike, you behead the pirate captain. His head rolls at your feet, and you kick it overboard into the ocean.

Let me just say: holy crap. Never in your life have you fought so well. This was awesome, literally awesome. If you lived to be a thousand years old, you'd never have a fight go so amazingly well as it did today.

You're catching your breath when you hear familiar voices yell "Hamlet!!"

Turning around, you see Rosencrantz and Guildenstern rushing towards you. They survived! In fact, they did more than survive the battle: like you, they thrived in it!

All around them lie the bodies of pirates, and your crew dispatches the last few survivors. This is incredible. Calypso's Gale is yours. And the storm surrounding her is clearing as quickly as it appeared in the first place! Sun pierces through the clouds.

You and Rosencrantz and Guildenstern hug each other, and your crew cheers. Pulling back, Guildenstern notices the blood on your jacket and then the headless torso on the floor.

"What happened to the captain?" asks Guildenstern.

"Dunno," you say. "Last I saw, he was... HEADED for sea."

"Oh," says Rosencrantz. "Does that mean you cut off his head and then threw it overboard?"

"Let's just say that when he fought me... he got in a little over his HEAD."

"Oh, you cut off his head and then threw it overboard," says Rosencrantz.

At this exact moment, back at Elsinore Castle, Ophelia is wandering off into the woods to gather more flowers. She falls into a creek and is too insane to notice, singing softly as she floats atop the water until it soaks into her clothes. The weight drags her down into the mud at the bottom of the stream, and she drowns horribly.

Act 4? posted:

Your crew demands a speech, cheering and hollering at you. Stepping up onto the highest part of Calypso's bridge, you decide to give them what they want.

You hold your hands out in front of you and ask for silence. They quiet, and in the moment before you speak the only noise you hear is the sound of waves gently splashing on the hull beneath you, a peaceful, beautiful sound.

It's a perfect moment. You look at their crew, and they at you.

"People often speak of the machinery of fate," you say, "as though he course of our lives is governed by some untouchable, unknowable clockwork."

"Well, if fate be a machine... today she was a machine that transformed us all into an UNSTOPPABLE FORCE OF VENGEANCE!"

Your crew cheers wildly!

"Gods, even!!"

Your crew cheers even louder!

"Yes," you say, "today we truly were gods from the machine."

Your crew resumes their duties.

This was a really amazing part of your adventure, Hamlet. You're sure that, should you ever one day write a book about this story or perhaps a stage production, you'd DEFINITELY include this scene.

Why, you'd have to be literally crazy to write a story where you journey to England, get attacked by pirates -- actual pirates! -- but then just sum up that whole adventure in a single sentence.

Hah! That'd be the worst. Who puts a pirate-attack scene in their story and doesn't show it to the audience? Hopefully nobody, that's who! Even from a purely structural viewpoint, you've got to give the audience something awesome to make up for all the introspection you've been doing; that just seems pretty obvious is all.

Anyway, enough crazy hypotheticals!

See you all next time for the remainder of Act 4.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 11, 2015

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Thanks for the Ophelia and Denmark interludes. Even Porkchop's adventures don't stop things from going 100% tragedy over there.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Glazius posted:

Thanks for the Ophelia and Denmark interludes. Even Porkchop's adventures don't stop things from going 100% tragedy over there.

Glad you liked it!

Today, in To Be or Not To Be, we've got a comparatively quick update as Hamlet gets his wee bottom back to England and finishes up Act 4.

Act 4? posted:

Clearly King Claudius wants you dead, but he isn't willing to move overtly, hence the letter he planted on your friends.

Heck, even the pirate attack could've been orchestrated by him. It's impossible to know who he's gotten to while you've been gone. You can't trust anyone.

It's probably for the best that Hamlet not attack Elsinore from a pirate ship. The castle has cannons too, and they have plenty of practice. To Be or Not To Be doesn't mention it, but every night that Claudius gets drunk, he has ordnance shot off in his honor.

Act 4? posted:

This is the plan you come up with:

You'll approach Denmark at night, flying Danish flags. Calypso's Gale will stay out from shore, looking like any other trader, but will remain ready to move on your signal.

You'll leave Rosencrantz and Guildenstern in command, dive overboard into the ocean, and swim to shore. Once there, you'll compose and send three letters to Horatio by messenger. The first will be addressed to Claudius and read:

quote:

Hey, I'm back from England, all by myself. SURPRISED? You will be, tomorrow, when I see you.

P.S. I am naked.

Hopefully you'll be able to scare/confuse him into some rash, overt action against you, which you'll be able to counter with Calypso's help.

The second goes to your mother, and reads:

quote:

Hey Mom, I'm still mad at you for marrying Claudius, so I'm pretty sure I'm going to kill him.

Sooooo... try to act surprised?

The third and final letter is for your friend Horatio and says:

quote:

Hey Horatio, CRAZY STORY: Pirates attacked! And they took me hostage, but just me, and then they brought me back to Denmark becuase I said I'd do them a favour.

Speaking of which, can you make sure these other two letters reach Mom and Uncle-Dad?

Then come see me real quick, okay? I'll be down by the docks.

That should be enough to both ensure your letters are delivered, and to see if Claudius has gotten to Horatio while you were away.

If he hasn't, Horatio can help you take down Claudius.

If he has -- well, you'll deal with Horatio the same way you dealt with the pirates: with your swords and your wits, both deadly sharp and both insanely pointed.

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern agree to your plan. You arrive near Denmark's shore in the middle of the night, the waves silver with reflected moonlight.

"Good luck, my friends," you tell Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.

"And to you," they reply.

You've both grown so much this trip. It's been so great. You've never felt closer to these awesome dudes.

You dive into the sea and swim for shore.

Hamlet is right to be worried about Horatio getting subverted by King Claudius. Claudius has been making good use of his skills as a master manipulator: While Hamlet's been away, Claudius has been working over Laertes and successfully recruited him to his side. Laertes has been thoroughly corrupted, and is prepared to be as ruthless and traitorous as Claudius in his quest for revenge. Hamlet's walking into one hell of a trap.

Act 4? posted:

You get the attention of a passer-by, who looks like she works here. "Excuse me, what's that ship over there?" you say, pointing as casually as you can at your insanely majestic ship.

"Her? That's uh... Calypso's Gale, looks like a Danish trader. I imagine she'll be docking in a few hours," she says.

"Oh. Neat," you say.

Everything's going according to plan.

You wave to the ship, just in case Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are watching, and wander around, waiting for Horatio to show up.

You eat some fried fish. It is really yummy.

Suddenly, you feel a tap on your shoulder. Looking around, you see your old friend Horatio! "Hamlet, you're back!" he says, hugging you.

"Did you deliver my letters?" you ask.

"Yep! So what's your story -- pirates attacked and only took you hostage? And then they brought you back here for no reason? Hah hah, that's so crazy! That's REALLY what happened?"

Do you trust Horatio? If you do, you'll let him in on the full story.

If you don't, you'll let him think that only you made it back from the trip.

It actually makes some sense for the pirates to have let Hamlet go, when you think about it. Hamlet, though seemingly a lucrative hostage at first, was a dead man walking. He was being sent to England to be executed and had official documents backing up that alibi, so he was of no value as a ransom. What did make him valuable was that he was a volatile and charismatic prince with plans to dethrone the king of Denmark and claim his rightful spot on the throne. The pirates had little to lose, and everything to gain, by helping him out; if their captain had any sense he'd see that.

Act 4? posted:

"What about Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?" he asks.

"They... um, died," you say. "The king wanted to... murder me... and he got them to carry a letter telling the English king to kill me! Yes, that's it -- and so I... secretly... replaced that note with a forgery that told him to kill Rosencrantz and Guildenstern instead! They're dead now, because, as I said earlier in my letter, the pirates left after they captured me. Yes! Everything fits together nicely!"

It's a good lie: close to the truth, so it won't be hard to keep straight!

"Whoah," Horatio says. "Bro, that's cold. What did Rosencrantz and Guildenstern do to deserve that?"

"Um, yes, that is a reasonable question, and the reasonable answer is that they... carried the letter from Claudius... on purpose? And they were allied with him all along and... I trust them as much as I trust snakes?"

"Huh," says Horatio.

"Oh, and I would TOTALLY KILL ANYONE who was secretly working for my stepdad!" you say, making significant eye contact with him.

"Huh," says Horatio, perfectly neutrally. Darn these even-handed, noncommittal responses that tell you nothing!

You've been walking as you talk, and you and Horatio find yourselves in the graveyard. It's close to the river everyone takes their drinking water from, which I guess kinda explains why people act so crazy around here (SPOILER ALERT: water contamination).

(SPOILER ALERT: this is gross.)

There are two gravediggers here. Wait, hold up: one of them is leaving -- off to have his own adventures, no doubt!

Do you ever think about that, Hamlet? About all the people you pass in the street and how they're each the star of their own little narrative? How it's weird that people who you'll never talk to are off having their own lives, building their own stories, and isn't it crazy that from THEIR point of view, you'd be a minor character, entirely forgettable?

Well, it's true, and in this gravedigger's story you play the role of "GUY WHO SHOWS UP AND TOOTS JUST AS I LEAVE."

You toot. He leaves.

Looks like we just walked in on act 5! The second gravedigger just lost a game of riddles and was sent off to fetch some more booze.

See you all next time! We're on the home stretch now.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's a shame the betrayal's left Porkchop unable to trust Horatio. Events sound far lamer than they actually turned out.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
The pirate sequence was pretty enjoyable despite the railroading. I'm guessing there's no way to avoid getting rammed either.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Decoy Badger posted:

The pirate sequence was pretty enjoyable despite the railroading. I'm guessing there's no way to avoid getting rammed either.

There are ways, but they involve the Vesselmania IV getting shot to pieces and everybody dying.

In theatre news, there was recently a production of Hamlet put on in the UK starring Benedict Cumberbatch. They're doing screenings of it now all over the world, one of which I went to. The performance is amazing on many levels and and absolutely worth seeing if you're into Shakespeare at all.

Now back to the LP: Last time, in To Be or Not To Be, Hamlet returned to Denmark and rejoined his buddy Horatio. While talking about events that have transpired, they stumbled upon a gravedigger!

The gravedigger has been singing, and Hamlet has the option to either listen or join in. Joining in leads to a short (one-page) rap battle between Hamlet and the gravedigger, which we won't be doing. Yorick's skull says so.

Act 5, Scene 1 full text

Act 5, Scene 1 posted:

"He's singing while he digs a grave!" you say.

"Um, yeah," says Horatio. "His job is to dig graves, so he's used to it."

"Whoah!!" you say. This whole thing is seriously blowing your mind!

The gravedigger sings about being old now, and the tune is pretty catchy, actually! While he's busy digging this grave, he digs into a pre-existing grave (remember that in our time period it's not like that is especially weird or awful) and digs something up. He tosses it behind him.

You'll notice if you're following along in the original script that the gravedigger is referred to there as a "clown." This was accepted slang for common folk back in Shakespeare's day, but it wouldn't surprise me if at least one costuming director has had both the gravediggers dress up as Ronald McDonald anyway. Theatre is awesome like that.

Act 5, Scene 1 posted:

"That skull had a tongue in it once," you say to Horatio.

"A-yup," says Horatio.

"It had jowls too," you say.

"Yeah probably," says Horatio.

"Maybe it was a politician's skull! Ooh! Or a courtier! Lord Such-A-One or whoever! And look, that guy's throwing it around like it's not even a thing!" you say.

"Lord Such-And-Such, you mean," sighs Horatio, was the gravedigger digs up another skull. There are now two skulls here! The other skull seems pretty interesting too.

You close your eyes and think, very clearly, "look other skull." Then you open your eyes and examine the other skull intently.

I'm not gonna lie, from this distance it definitely looks a lot like the first skull. You're fascinated by it though!

"Maybe that other skull was a lawyer's skull!" you say, nudging Horatio. "Look at him now! Where's his impressive lawyer tricks now, huh? His fancy rhetoric for the judge and jury?"

"He's dead," says Horatio.

"Why doesn't he sue this guy for assault after he dug up his skull with a shovel if he's such a fancy lawyer?" you say.

"I'd have to say... it's probably because he's dead," says Horatio.

"Maybe it was a landowner's skull instead! Maybe he owned all this land and had all this complicated accounting for it. Hah! Is one of those accounting rules that his empty skull now gets filled up with dirt??" you say.

"Yes, I believe that's generally what happens when you die," says Horatio.

You stare at him wildly, then back to the skull, then back to Horatio. Then you stare at the skull for a bit.

"Listen," Horatio says, "maybe you want to talk to the gravedigger for a while.? I'm sure he'd find your viewpoint absolutely novel and riveting."

Act 5 has only just started and already the body count is climbing fast.

Act 5, Scene 1 posted:

"Whose grave is this?" you say.

"It's mine," he says.

"I thought it was yours, because you're the one lying in it," you say.

Really, Hamlet? He's not lying in it, he's standing in it, digging, and if you're going for a "lying down / lying untruth" pun then I'm sorry but it's not going to wor--

"And you're lying out of it, so it's not yours!!" says the gravedigger, super proud of this dumb wordplay. He goes on: "Actually, I'm not lying, it really is mine."

"But you are lying," you say before I can stop you, "because you're in it and saying it's yours, but you're alive and graves aren't for the living! Ah hah! Got you there!"

RIVETING. This back-and-forth goes back and forth, and eventually it comes out that he's digging a grave for a young woman, and you -- as you are an uncouth brute -- ask how long he's had this job before you even ask him his name, and he says he's been working as a gravedigger since the day Hamlet was born.

Hey, that's you! What a crazy coincidence!!

The conversation with the gravedigger is one of the best moments in the entire play. It's rather ominous that Hamlet has such a long comic relief sequence just before the climax.

Act 5, Scene 1 posted:

"Why the accent?" Horatio sighs. "You didn't have it a second ago."

"Hamlet is the prince who went to England because he was crazy," says the gravedigger. "He'll get less crazy there, or he won't, but either way it won't matter because everyone's crazy in England!"

"Racism," says Horatio.

"How did zee Prince Hamlet go -- how do you say -- crazy?" you ask.

"Very strangely," he replies. Oh God, you two are going to go at it again, aren't you? Oh God. You are.

"How strangely?" you ask.

"By losing his mind," he says.

"On what grounds?" You ask. HEY. STOP SETTING HIM UP.

"Why, right here in Denmark," he says.

HAH HAH HAH, listen I'm cutting you off. The rest of your conversation is censored, but at some point he gestures to one of the skulls you were looking at earlier and volunteers that that's the skull of Yorick, once the jester to the king, now dead and buried 23 years.

"He poured a flagon of Rhenish on my head once," says the gravedigger.

I'm sure Yorick has a whole lot of interesting opinions about Rhenish. But we're going to talk about Yorick today. He's been following us throughout the entire book. It's time for him to have the spotlight for a bit.

Act 5, Scene 1 posted:

"Alas, poor Yorick!" you say. "I knew him, Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy."

"He hath borne me on his back a thousand times, and now, how abhorred in my imagination it is! My gorge rises at it. Here hung those lips that I have kissed I know not how oft. Where be your gibes now? Your gambols? Your songs? Your flashes of merriment that were wont to set the table on a roar? Not one now to mock your own grinning? Quite chapfallen? Now get you to my lady's chamber and tell her, let her paint an inch thick, to this favour she must come. Make her laugh at that."

"What my friend means to say," says Horatio, "is that he remembers Yorick and the fun times they shared, but now to look at his gross remains makes him want to drop a barf."

"Ah," says the gravedigger.

"He then asks a dead lifeless skull where his jokes and songs are, and then tells the skull to go to his girlfriend's room and tell her that no matter how much makeup she puts on, she'll end up like him one day," Horatio says.

"Well, not exactly like him," says the gravedigger, "as male and female skulls have several structural differences."

You interrupt them both. "Horatio, do you think Alexander the Great looked like this after he was buried?"

"Yeah, probs," says Horatio.

"This skull is smelly," you say.

"Yeah, probs," says Horatio.

"Do you think it's weird that we can be alive and be kings of the world, but then we die and return to the earth and then someone might use that earth to make mud and use that mud to fix a hole in a barrel?"

"Who uses mud to fix a ho--" Horatio begins, but you interrupt him.

"You can also use mud to patch a wall," you say.

That second option rewinds time so we're playing as Ophelia right after Hamlet showed up and fouled his stockings.

Act 5, Scene 1 posted:

...Laertes (Ophelia's brother! You haven't really hung out with him that much actually!), a priest (priests are ordained ministers of the church!), and a coffin (coffins are what people get buried in; dude, you should know this).

It seems like Gertrude was -- screaming? Wailing? Weird.

You elbow your friend. "Hey," you say. "Look how sucky that coffin is, look how small this ceremony is. It must have been someone who killed themselves. You know what'd be hilarious? If we stayed and watched."

"Listen... Hamlet, there's something you should know," Horatio says.

"Shh!" you say. "Look, that's Laertes!" you say to the gravedigger. You pause and stare at him intently. "Yeah, he's pretty rad," you say.

"Hamlet," Horatio says, "don't you wonder why Laertes is at a funeral? Maybe if he's here it means it might be someone close to him who die--"

You cut him off. "I CAN'T EAVESDROP ON PEOPLE IN THEIR MOST PRIVATE MOMENTS OF GRIEF IF YOU KEEP TRYING TO HAVE A SERIOUS CONVERSATION ABOUT A LIFE-OR-DEATH MATTER WITH ME," you hiss at him.

Turning your attention back to Laertes, you see him arguing with the priest, asking for more rites. More rites, he says! But the priest says he's done all the rites he should do already and then some. Since this person committed suicide (called it!), they don't get as many rites. "If we do any more rites, we'll profane the blessed souls of the other people buried here," he says.

You, Horatio, and the gravedigger all wince as you glance at the skulls he's dug up. Um... whoops?

Laertes continues to argue with the priest. "Well fine, then go ahead and lay her here, jerk-a-rama priest!" Laertes says. "My sis will be an angel in heaven while you're burning in hell!" They lower her body into the grave.

Wow, he's really upset!

Wait... sister?

OPHELIA'S DEAD?!

It seems Ophelia's -1 weakness against water finally caught up with her. She'll never be a ninja, mass murderer, brilliant scientist, or chessmaster in this timeline. She died alone, amidst garlands of flowers that she had woven in her insane grief. The specific kinds of flowers she was playing with suggested that it wasn't her father's death that tore her mind apart -- more than anything, she just wanted the Hamlet she knew back.

Goodbye, Ophelia.

See you all next time for the rest of Act 5, Scene 1.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Life sucks and then you're spackle.

Or possibly grout.

You just went over this, Porkchop. Not so fun when it's someone you want to smooch, is it?

Actually, I shouldn't assume you never wanted to smooch Yorick. Shouldn't judge.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Glazius posted:

Life sucks and then you're spackle.

Or possibly grout.

You just went over this, Porkchop. Not so fun when it's someone you want to smooch, is it?

Actually, I shouldn't assume you never wanted to smooch Yorick. Shouldn't judge.

He did love kissing Yorick when he was more than just a skull, which was tactfully left out of Poor Yorick.

Last time, in To Be or Not To Be: Hamlet reflected on the meaning of life and death, and eavesdropped on a funeral. All too late he discovered it was a funeral for his ex-girlfriend, Ophelia!

She died while Hamlet was away, and they're treating her death as a suicide, which is particularly ominous. Our hero needs to process all of this.

Act 5, Scene 1 full text

Act 5, Scene 1 continued posted:

"I tried to tell you--" Horatio says. "I meant to tell you earlier but you seemed so happy to be back and I-- I wasn't-- look, I'm sorry, Hamlet. She passed away shortly after you left on your trip."

Gertrude and Laertes and Claudius are still unaware that you're here. Gertrude throws flowers on her grave, saying that she'd always hoped Ophelia would marry you, and that instead, she'd be throwing flowers on her wedding bed.

Geez, Gertrude. Inappropriate. That is not something for a new mother-in-law to do for newlyweds.

Laertes curses three times whomever it was who robbed Ophelia of her sanity, and then curses them again ten times three times, for a total of thirty-three times.

Then he jumps into the grave so that he might hold her in his arms once more.

Geez, Laertes. That's like -- double inappropriate to the power of three, for a total of eight inappropriates.

Okay, so they're all really upset and acting crazy. The right thing to do here is to go home, approach them later, and say you saw them at the funeral but didn't want to interrupt.

Also, it'll give you a chance to deal with your grief too, which you should be feeling. You are feeling it, aren't you, Hamlet?

She was your sweetie, and you've come back from a trip to find her dead of apparent suicide!

Yes, we can choose to play as Ophelia at this juncture. But instead, Hamlet's going to barge into the scene.

Act 5, Scene 1 continued posted:

"Who's the man whose grief is so extreme, whose words of sorrow can make even the stars themselves stand still and wonder in sadness at what they hear? It's me, Hamlet the Dane!"

Then you hop into the grave, joining Laertes there. Why not? Emotions are a competition, right?

Laertes sees you and screams in rage.

"The devil take thy soul!" he shouts, which, I mean, if you're going to yell anything, it's pretty much the awesomest and classiest thing to yell at a time and place like this.

And with that, you fight! That's right. You and Laertes fight, in a graveyard, during a funeral, in an OPEN GRAVE, with the coffin of Ophelia at your feet.

This is how you choose to live your life.

Laertes punches you in the teeth, and you stagger back until you collide with the muddy grave wall.

You raise your eyes up to Laertes, wiping blood from your mouth with the back of your hand. You glance down at your bloodied hand.

"That's a funny way to pray," you say, and laugh. Laertes looks at you.

"Here's how I do it," You jump at him, forcing your head into his chest as hard as you can. He falls backwards, winded, gasping for breath.

"Our father," you say, your left fist connecting with his cheek, "who art in heaven" -- here your right fist collides in a punishing blow with his jaw -- "hallowed be thy--"

His arms shoot out and encircle your throat and before you can react, he squeezes. You see stars dance around the edge of your vision.

"You don't want to do that," you gasp, but Laertes only squeezes tighter.

"Now why's that, Hamlet?" he says, smirking, mock concern written on his face.

You lock eyes with him. "There's something dangerous inside of me, and you should be afraid of it," you say. "I am. You shouldn't make me angry, Laertes. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry."

Laertes laughs at you, and you feel almost giddy. You can feel yourself losing control. You can feel yourself starting to want it.

"I won't tell you again, little man," you say, unsure if you're threatening him or pleading with him.

"Take. Your. Hands. Off."

Ophelia's funeral is already ruined; I don't think we need to go that far.

Act 5, Scene 1 concluded posted:

You're vaguely aware of your mother shouting your name as you punch Laertes over and over again, avoiding his own punches as best as you can.

You're both getting in some good hits. Finally Horatio and the gravedigger jump down into the grave and hold the two of you apart. You're both trying to break free.

"WHAT THE HECK IS THIS ABOUT?" yells your mother. "THIS IS A FUNERAL AND YOU'RE FIGHTING IN AN OPEN GRAVE FOR NO REASON."

"Mom, Laertes is saying he loved Ophelia more than I did!" you say. "I loved her more than 40 billionty stupid ol' brothers!"

"He really is crazy," says Claudius.

"I'll eat a crocodile to prove how serious I am," you offer.

"I'm sorry for my crazy son," Gertrude says. "Usually he calms down after a little while."

You decide to prove her right. Turning to Laertes you say, "Listen, bro, why are you treating me like this? I've done nothing to deserve this."

But Laertes stares at you, aghast, almost like he... holds you responsible for Ophelia's death?

"Anyway," you say. "Hamlet out."

You leave.

A little while later, Horatio catches up with you. "Hey, sorry, Claudius made me leave too."

"What about the gravedigger?" you say.

"Um, I think he's back to digging graves. He was supposed to be working the whole time we were there, anyway."

"Ah," you say.

The transition from Scene 1 to Scene 2 is a bit funky here, but we'll get to that next update. See you all next time!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yes, Porkchop. Emotions are a competition, and yours are the realest. That is completely what is happening here.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Last time, in To Be or Not To Be, Porkchop Weebottoms discovered that his ex-girlfriend had suddenly died and decided to raise a huge scene at her funeral, getting into a fistfight with Laertes on top of her coffin. It was kind of awful, and it has since broken up. Our hero is now on the way back to Elsinore, and wants to talk to Horatio about his trip to England.

Act 5, Scene 1? posted:

If you talk to him about it again, the story's just going to be super repetitive.

In the original script of Hamlet, this conversation never happens at all until Hamlet and Horatio are back at the castle, which doesn't happen until Scene 2, so marking the specific scene break here is a bit finnicky. Not a big deal, considering how many liberties directors tend to take anyway when bringing Shakespearean theatre to life. It's not uncommon to see entire scenes re-ordered.

Act 5, Scene 1? posted:

You elaborate it into a crazy story where you alone come across the letter by accident, you leave out all the awesome parts of the pirate battle (a crime in itself), you tell him how only you made it back alive and how Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead, and he's all "Whoah that must make you sad," and you say "No bro, they got what they deserved," and he's all "Whoah bro: harsh."

You definitely do not tell him how you have one of the most impressive ships in the world today waiting just outside Denmark Harbour for your signal.

Alright! We're all brought up to speed with your cover story of how you escaped, AGAIN, and Horatio has made the appropriate sympathetic noises.

Satisfied?

Look you can stop pretending, we all know you kinda lost the plot here and wanted to waste everyone's time while you got a refresher from me.

It's good to see some acknowledgement of how ridiculously huge and powerful the Calypso's Gale is, especially for a ship in the early 1600s or earlier.

Act 5, Scene 1? posted:

"And ruining Ophelia's funeral?" Horatio volunteers.

"That too. You know what, I'll be nice to him. He's grieving too, right? We're like two peas in a pod, only instead of peas, we're humans, and instead of being in a pod, we're in a state of grief."

"Okay," says Horatio.

"I just really hate it when people try to grieve harder than I do!!" you exclaim, punching your first into your palm.

"That must come up a lot," says Horatio.

"Anyway, meet me at the castle tomorrow morning, okay?" you say. "There's something that's going to go down that I think you'll want to see."

"Okay. I will."

"Sweet. Well, see you later!" you say, and then it's awkward because you're both still walking to the castle in the same direction side by side.

You walk in silence for a bit, until you get the bright idea of stopping because a flower looks SO INTERESTING and then Horatio will walk ahead and it won't be weird anymore, but then Horatio stops too, a few paces ahead.

God.

It proceeds like this, the two of you walking in fits and starts, one pausing to adjust his leggings or whatever and the other deciding to wait, but only after taking a few halting steps ahead.

You guys. I don't know.

When you finally get to bed, you go to sleep sad (Ophelia's dead, remember?) but also excited (You're going to expose Claudius tomorrow and you have Calypso's Gale to back you up, remember?).

While you're sleeping, I sneak in and pour a Potion of Not Grieving Anymore Because Feelings Are Boring into your ear (That's how liquids enter the body most efficiently, remember? REMEMBER? THIS IS ONE CALLBACK-FILLED SCENE, MY FRIEND.) and you wake up feeling not too emo, which is terrific, because honestly we're finally heading towards a climax and I don't want you missing out on it because you stay home feeling sad.

Okay!

And there's the actual start of Act 5, Scene 2, which is in fact the final scene of Hamlet. We're on the home stretch.

Act 5, Scene 2 posted:

You put on your best confronting-the-king tights, and your fanciest confronting-the-king scabbard. Don't worry, I looked it up: it's a sheath for holding a sword.

You and Horatio are walking into the castle when Osric shows up!

Hey, I know this guy! He's a member of the royal court, and he's super manipulable. Here, I'll show you!

"Put your hat on," you say to Osric.

"No thanks. It's too hot today," he says.

"No man, it's cold, with winds from the north and a 30% chance of precipitation," you reply.

"Oh yeah, it's cold," he says.

"And yet, it's also super hot and humid!" you say.

"Yes. Yes, it's quite hot out," he says.

See? SEE?

Okay. I need to apologize because I've been making fun of your choices this entire book, but when I took over here all I did was have a pointless conversation with a dude who isn't even a real character in this story.

I'm sorry. Maybe... maybe this ISN'T as easy as it looks?

So I'll tell you what Osric's here to say: the king wants you to fence with Laertes, and he's gone ahead and made a bet. He thinks that in a dozen rounds Laertes won't win by more than three hits.

Oh, and he's put six horses on the line, six swords complete with sword accessories, and three fancy carriages. He is wagering all this neat stuff!

On the one hand, you're here to expose Claudius, not Laertes, and fighting Laertes won't actually solve anything at all and is entirely unrelated to avenging your father's death.

Also, he's probably upset about, you know, his sister and father dying, and I'm not really sure what swordfighting him will accomplish in the "helping him get past his grief" department.

On the other hand... well, no, actually, I can't think of a good reason why you should fight this guy.

Did you hear that?

I, the author of this story who has imagined this entire realm wholesald and brought it to life inside my head, cannot conceive of a single reason why you should fight Laertes.

This is all part of Claudius's elaborate scheme to get rid of Hamlet. In the original script, that scheme included rousing Hamlet's envy of Laertes's swordfighting ability, to entice him into the fencing match. Osric actively does this here, and the handicap of the match is intended to further goad Hamlet into agreeing.

When Hamlet does agree to the match, he comments that it's about time for his daily workout anyway. It's just another day for him.

Act 5, Scene 2 posted:

Osric leaves and then comes back immediately. "King wants to know if you'll fight him now." he says. "He's just in there."

Oh right, I forgot to mention! You're right outside the royal court, which is also the castle fencing room.

Anyway. Messengers gonna message, right? You say that's fine, and Osric says okay and leaves.

Horatio turns to you. "Listen man, I don't think you should do this. I don't think you're gonna win, Hamlet." he says.

"Sure I am!" you say. "I've been practicing fencing since the start of this story."

"What?" says Horatio, and I'm saying "What??" too, because there have been zero fencing scenes?

Like, at all?

Unless you count the pirate battle, but that was more swordfighting than fencing.

There's a difference, you know. They both require swordsmanship, but in the same way that poetry and essays are both "writing."

You realize that you were lying just now and start to feel bad about your chances.

"Maybe I won't win after all," you say. "I suddenly feel a sense of foreboding that would perhaps trouble a woman."

Aw geez, Hamlet. Aw geez.

Some directors have Horatio sigh loudly and roll his eyes at Hamlet's remark about fencing practice.

Act 5, Scene 2 posted:

"Providence controls everything, even a sparrows death," you say. "If something's supposed to happen now, it will. It it's supposed to happen later, it won't happen now. All that matters is that we're prepared for it."

"Wait," says Horatio, "if you subscribe to a 'destiny is all' worldview where things happen when they're supposed to, how does preparedness enter into it? If it's going to happen, it'll happen whether or not you're prepared."

"Um," you say.

A lot has been written about Hamlet's words here:

code:
HORATIO

If your mind dislike any thing, obey it: I will
forestall their repair hither, and say you are not
fit.

HAMLET

Not a whit, we defy augury: there's a special
providence in the fall of a sparrow. If it be now,
'tis not to come; if it be not to come, it will be
now; if it be not now, yet it will come: the
readiness is all: since no man has aught of what he
leaves, what is't to leave betimes?
They can be interpreted a lot of different ways, and Ryan North chose only one of those. Some scholars, for instance, interpret Hamlet's words to mean that Hamlet has the sneaking suspicion that he's about to die and is prepared to face it.

Act 5, Scene 2 posted:

And a bunch of other people you don't know! Wow, it looks like this plot is going to advance itself whether you want it to or not!

Claudius makes you and Laertes shake hands, and you apologize to Laertes as you do it.

You explain that, as a victim of mental illness, you should not be held criminally responsible for your actions, and it's a very nice speech except you are only faking being crazy, so all in all it's sort of a dick move on your part.

You draw the analogy of firing an arrow over your house and accidentally hitting your brother, and how in this situation it's not REALLY your fault for injuring him.

Laertes accepts your apology and is polite enough not to ask why you're recklessly firing arrows over your house in the first place. He still wants to fence you though!

What the heck -- it's a pretty wide hallway and everyone's already here. Guess you're going to fence right in this hallway!

Why not, right?

Osric offers you some swords.

They're all pretty much the same, so whatever sword you choose doesn't really matter.

In the original script, Laertes takes one sword, examines it carefully, says it's too heavy, returns it, and picks out another. Hamlet is quick to grab a sword of his preference, asking only if they're all the same length.

Something's going on, but Hamlet's not going to find out about it until next time, in the climax of To Be or Not To Be.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. Yorick's got unexpected preferences for swords. What could this mean?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I'm betting one of the two non-Yorick swords is the sword Laertes is supposed to have, and so Hamlet wins the duel instead of dying.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Going to wrap this up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
One more post to get the finale onto the next page.

• Locked thread