Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Runa
Feb 13, 2011

This would probably be a lot funnier if the writing were more deadpan and a bit less self-indulgent.

gently caress it dude let's go trawling in the ocean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The well of self-indulgence is dug deep in this village.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Really though, I've been lurking here out of morbid curiosity and to give the material a chance, thankfully without actually having to buy the app for myself. So I'm going to take my earlier, much more snide comment up this page and expand on it a bit. Brevity is the soul of wit but I'm afraid I'm all out of cleverness so I'll just be frank.

I've had a good chuckle at some Dinosaur Comics, even if I don't actively seek them out. But this and Yorick are not nearly as funny as they think they are. And Ryan North seems to have a much higher opinion of his work than, I feel, may be warranted. Perhaps when the kickstarter was just getting started he really did think this project would be worth sending to schools as supplementary educational material. In retrospect I can't imagine why, but that's the risk of having a big head and counting chickens before their hatched. At least he hammers home the point about Hamlet's fatal flaw. That's certainly informative, and most likely funny, though the bulk of the work has sucked out my ability to feel amusement and delight from reading To Be or Not To Be.

I'm looking back at some early responses in the LP and how relatively optimistic some are, even chiding people for being immediately dour on To Be or Not to Be, including Pittsburgh Lambic, the one person here who actually has experience with the game! After all, that's why he's LPing it. That was a more naive, innocent time for this thread. Happy days, those.

On the topic of the stream, well, it might've been fun to participate in, I dunno. I mean you can't actually watch it without cringing, but it was probably a "you had to be there" sort of thing.

Judging by comments around the internet, Mr. North has his fans and there's at least some people out there who thought this was hilarious and not, in fact, a tiresomely twee exercise in self-indulgence from a man who is reasonably funny, but again not as funny as he thinks he is. A bit like Carrie Bradshaw, really.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Well when you put it that way he's practically a monster.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You're right, but mostly I'm not feeling the authorial voice. It definitely comes off on the smug side, which helps distract from its actual merits as a comedy CYOA. That and I agree that it does feel like actually voting on paths is a bit futile, as this is sort of a "point in general direction, explore choices" kind of deal.

The LPer definitely sounds like a disappointed customer and I'm not going to begrudge him that. After all, it's his opinion and he's the one bothering to put this stuff together, there's no point in trying to shame him for not appreciating Ryan North enough.

Maybe the Ophelia path is a bit better, who knows? Well, some people do, obviously, but I haven't played.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

My opinion is basically the same as Chewbot's minus the part about being angry at The Non-Creatives.

Ryan North is a swell and outstanding fellow with progressive sensibilities but whose writing style and sense of humor can rub some people the wrong way. Like me.

Go ahead and slam that door.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Alright, I chuckled.

Let's stay the course as Ophelia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That's a pretty great cover.

That which is dead cannot die. Or can it? Let's test this out.

• Locked thread