Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kangra
May 7, 2012

The next boat back from Norway, you say?

quote:

You, good Cornelius, and you, Voltimand,
For bearers of this greeting to old Norway;
Giving to you no further personal power
To business with the king, more than the scope
Of these delated articles allow.
Farewell, and let your haste commend your duty.

Let's find the ship with the monkey and the wizard. They should be rushing back to Denmark soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Back to Denmark! We have a murderer to catch!

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I actually don't mind North's style that much, and I think the marine biologist ending can be sort of defended. Our choice seemed to indicate we wanted nothing to do with the story of Hamlet, and so to have the story effectively toss off a bunch of nonsense in response doesn't seem that terrible.

But what really rankles is the condescending tone. The most egregious part showed at the start in Alas, Poor Yorick. You would think that when producing something likely to appeal to people familiar with Shakespeare, you're not going to treat them like a bunch of 4th graders that need it explained to them.

(Not to condescend to any readers or 4th graders out there, but here's the part I'm calling out specifically:)

quote:

“I live in Denmark,” you whisper to the ceiling. “And my name is Yorick. I’m a man of infinite jest and most excellent fancy.”

“That means I’m good at jokes and have a cool imagination,” you remind yourself.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Await Your Turn. We will pour no wine before its time.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Option 3

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Option 3: I shoulda stood in bed.

I have to admit I'm rather enjoying some of the art, like the first Yorick ending.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Yeah, let's enter the court.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Option 2. Sit-com hilarity ensues.

I love the little Hamlet picture.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Remember, kids, women can be anything! Even scientists like this one holding test tubes! But not evil. That would be sexist.

I eagerly await the next volume, "A Tale Told By an Idiot", in which we learn that Lady Macbeth is the hero.

Time to kill

Kangra
May 7, 2012

You get the sense that the Ghost still bears a great deal of love for his wife. He tells Hamlet to leave her out of it. Now that he's dead, he's discovered her infidelity but can't quite accept it. My reading is that Hamlet is under no such illusions, and probably suspected something was up earlier. But he also kind of jumps to that conclusion fairly quickly.

(Of course it could also be that he tells Hamlet to leave her out of it simply because she's his mother, and he doesn't want to put that task on him. He never really cared for his brother.)

As for Yorick, let's see if we can get the Marine Biologist ending.
It's not over until we decide it is.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

In the words of Rodney Dangerfield in Back to School, "Do not go gentle into that good night".

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Kind of wish that 'being Ophelia for a while' involved putting on her clothes and running around pretending to be her. Cause I can see Hamlet doing that.

Be Ophelia for a while

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I honestly think that as badly written as this is, Ryan North probably does know what 'wherefore' means. Which means he's using it here to be 'funny'. One could make the case for 'wherefore' as a causal link, but then it should not be a direct question.

Voting for black out

Kangra
May 7, 2012

The first option there I actually found funny. (If you ignore that the book has been beating the "Hamlet - man of inaction" bit to death, it's an amusing thing to throw in a CYOA).

Let's go see Ophelia.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

dromiceiomimus. I think this is better the further it is from Shakespeare.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

When do we get the option to make out with him? Seemed to be the thing to do from the other side.

Wait for him.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Make out like thieves (who do not make out by kissing and groping, but by waiting patiently until nightfall).

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Why would a smart scientist like Ophelia believe a crazy ghost who says that the 'vacuum' exists? This 'space' thing is obviously not going to kill him, because space is not empty. Although I guess it could be filled with poison gas.

May as well choose space just to get it out of the way.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Stick to the plan, move to the next scene.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

D3m3 posted:

I am super-disappointed that, when left alone, Rosencratz and Guildenstern do not start doing Rozencratz and Guildenstern Are Dead.

Do you think Ryan North really wants to remind people of how inferior he is to Tom Stoppard?

Although this book has evened out somewhat, and not been quite as terrible as it seemed.

Voting IV.v

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Find Yorick's skull and kill it again.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

It's no fun if we're not actually harming them. Go home to your family.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Go with Miss Adventure's plan.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Slit his throat? How do you not have Osric give Hamlet the foil?

Keep him alive.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Was not expecting CYOA chess game. This could be interesting (but I'm not keeping my hopes up).

I vote for the King's Bishop pawn, which is the Barnes Defence. And according to that database, it's the worst response to White's initial move.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I want to know just how long they'll allow this to go on. g6

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I was expecting Bf4 to make it even more tempting for Ophelia to attack it.

e6 is going to open up a space that makes it a lot harder to force mate on us, so I wonder if our hand will be stayed from it, or if at some point it just decides we're not going to do it and we win the game. Or get offered a draw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Murdered by pirates is good.

• Locked thread