Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Fedule posted:

I guess we agree on one thing; the game is kinda bullshit when you're going for a Pure Platinum run.

I think it's kind of telling that of all the recent Platinum Game, uh, games, only Revengeance has had enough faith in its ranking system and requirements to have a Trophy for getting max ranks on the hardest difficulty. Neither Bayo2 nor W101 actually requires you to ever get a ranking above Platinum - although obviously if you get a Pure Platinum medal you get some extra leeway and the Platinum becomes easier to get - and even those only require you to Platinum one difficulty, even Very Easy.

I think that's a little off the mark. Most Platinum-style action games and the later DMC games have what you describe in W101, and it's especially noticeable in DMC4 and Bayonetta - they don't want you to play as efficiently as possible (because your character is so powerful that, when played well, the enemies don't stand a chance against you). The game asks you to survive, but the metagame asks you to thrive, to play with your food - to put away DT Stinger spam and fire Durga and 100-man fists. You can see the same kind of thing in shmups, where simply looking at the rules of the game tells you that you should be constantly using bombs and sitting at the bottom of the screen, but the scoring system - ideally the developers' way of telling you what the best, most fun way of playing the game is - asks you to avoid using bombs and use the games' unique systems to play riskily.

I have to totally disagree with the idea that MGR's ranking system fits with the game better than Platinum's other games. If anything it's like the disconnect you describe in W101 but on a much larger scale; the game is "supposed" to be all about efficiency, and combos themselves feel de-emphasized compared to other Platinum games (they feel a little bit closer to Ninja Gaiden in function), so why are you being ranked on them? It feels a little vestigial. On top of that it doesn't feel possible to absolutely, consistently get no damage in battles every single time you play them because of annoying things like enemies with guns (which can only really be defended against with ninja run, something that feels kind of sloppy as a defense - especially when you're engaged with other enemies) or the helicopters in the Sundowner fight. It almost feels like they intended for you to savescum to get top rankings, unlike every other Platinum game.

As for why Platinum games almost never give achievements for getting top ranks - I think it's not because they lack faith in their ranking systems, but because (to some extent) they lack faith in their players and don't want to tie achievements to the hardest goals in their games. Metal Gear Rising and their Wii U games buck that trend, but Bayonetta doesn't ask you to beat Father Rodin or the Lost Chapter, and Vanquish doesn't ask you to beat God Hard. Also, Kamiya has said on twitter that he meant for Bayonetta's achievements to be like the tutorial, and I know he's said that he regretted putting some unlockables in Viewtiful Joe behind getting its equivalent of pure platinum ranks. I think they're content with just leaving their highest challenges to be player-defined most of the time, without tying them to unlockables or achievements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
I don't know, considering how technical this kind of game is and how much it would have had to been playtested, I have a hard time believing they didn't know about advanced techniques like that.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Kurieg posted:

I think the point of Luka's appearances in this game are to point out that he's actually an amazingly good investigator (he found out about Jeanne, knew what Bayonetta would be doing, and managed to get here before her and do some research on things that would be helpful to her) he's just really really not the action movie star he thinks he is, at least not without Cereza helping him out.

Considering some of the stuff he pulls off with his grappling hook in the first game, I think Luka is actually really competent (if a bit of an idiot). It's just that he's inserting himself in the affairs of actual badasses with superpowers, which makes him seem pathetic in comparison.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Raruna posted:

Worse than on PS3 or about the same? Because holy gently caress that stuff was slow on PS3.

I actually don't remember having slowdown in that part on Wii U (although it was definitely horrible on PS3) but the Wii U version does have slowdown at the first part of the airship chapter and during the Jubileus fight when her hair heads do their big elemental attacks. I haven't played the 360 version so I can't compare, but I'm reasonably sure those bits of slowdown weren't in it.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
No, that never happened in the first game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Crisis posted:

I might be misremembering, but in the first game, doesn't Balder knock Bayonetta unconscious in a cutscene after you beat him in a boss fight?

Loving the LP, by the way.

Kind of. Bayonetta handily defeats him and leaves him dead or unconscious, but then after she takes Cereza back to her own time, the power of the Eyes of the World kick in, Balder gets restored, and Bayonetta gets knocked out.

• Locked thread