Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
surc
Aug 17, 2004

The Sharmat posted:

If you really can't tell the difference between the game play and content of Chris Avellone's Sim Existentialism and Pillars of Eternity I don't even know what to say. the only thing they have in common is that they're in roughly the same genre

Did you know that your last 203 posts have been about pillars of eternity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm comfortable with my life choices

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Good :)

And obviously the combat is better in this game, but my point is this game is literally "interactive novel with a mechanics system inspired by AD&D slapped on it"

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

surc posted:

And obviously the combat is better in this game, but my point is this game is literally "interactive novel with a mechanics system inspired by AD&D slapped on it"

my point is that I can't imagine Eternity would be satisfying to play that way. the interactive novel bits are less interactive than in Torment, there are less of them in total, and they are separated by large sections of mandatory combat

so really it's a combat game using AD&D inspired mechanics with an interactive novel strapped on it, I guess. it's like inverse Torment

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I made a post in a non Eternity thread Surc so now you have to start the count over

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

surc posted:

and?

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

i got this game yesterday, beat up a witch, and stole her black cat familiar, because it seems she was not feeding it right

it's now my friend.

10/10

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The Sharmat posted:

DAO had friendly fire too on the nonstupid difficulty

Yes, the kind that mauled and killed you. Not some oh no you applied a -1 interestingness debuff and 43 bike chain damage to your own party, causing them to say "ow"

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Kana got knocked prone in a fight, and stayed prone after the fight was over. When we walked through an area he just would glide over the sands on his butt like some kind of freaky telekinetic limbo master. didn't go away until a conversation with a quest giver forced him into a different animation and now I'm sad its gone

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Sharmat posted:

When we walked through an area he just would glide over the sands on his butt like some kind of freaky telekinetic limbo master.

he just had to wipe his butt, like a dog. i hope you got a screenshot, or preferably a gif

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I didn't.

I have failed the Imp Zone, and I have failed myself.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

The Sharmat posted:

I didn't.

I have failed the Imp Zone, and I have failed myself.

we'll just have to use our imaginations, which are limited due to our stunted upbringings

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

Kana got knocked prone in a fight, and stayed prone after the fight was over. When we walked through an area he just would glide over the sands on his butt like some kind of freaky telekinetic limbo master. didn't go away until a conversation with a quest giver forced him into a different animation and now I'm sad its gone
That happened to me in Saints Row 4 last week, but that's a totally different game and isn't relevant, and there's no payoff to this post to make up for it. Namaste.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

There's a gif of Eder doing that, but it's somewhere deep in Games thread. Good luck if you wanna dig it out.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
so having finished this fantastic game (as well as my trial of iron!), i can only wonder: how the gently caress are people dying to the final boss? i mean yeah, he pulls out that crazy meteor swarm poo poo at the end, but the only things he succeeded in dropping were my summons and, eventually, my rogue because i gave him food in his hotbar and forgot to put his healing potions back in and also hiravias because i wasn't paying attention. even that spiderfolk bounty was more dangerous.

good game. long, though, so i probably won't replay it until around this time next year at the earliest. i'm no longer as excited about it as i was on launch day, but it's definitely in my top ten sharing space with the likes of ff9, lost odyssey, mother 3, alpha protocol, and suikoden.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Apr 15, 2015

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Suikoden 1?

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

A Spider Covets posted:

i got this game yesterday, beat up a witch, and stole her black cat familiar, because it seems she was not feeding it right

it's now my friend.

10/10

my one criticism is that you only have one slot for a pet

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

yep, suikoden 1. like 2 is objectively better and i know it's just nostalgia talking, but i still like the first one the best

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

The White Dragon posted:

so having finished this fantastic game (as well as my trial of iron!), i can only wonder: how the gently caress are people dying to the final boss? i mean yeah, he pulls out that crazy meteor swarm poo poo at the end, but the only things he succeeded in dropping were my summons and, eventually, my rogue because i gave him food in his hotbar and forgot to put his healing potions back in and also hiravias because i wasn't paying attention. even that spiderfolk bounty was more dangerous.

I killed the main boss fast enough on hard that he never did the meteor swarm thing and never pulled the statue trick.

Games is really bad at games. I don't think it's because they're dumb though, it's because they're really really lazy and just kind of click through anything that isn't dialogue.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

It gets me ahrd.

The Sharmat posted:

my point is that I can't imagine Eternity would be satisfying to play that way. the interactive novel bits are less interactive than in Torment, there are less of them in total, and they are separated by large sections of mandatory combat

so really it's a combat game using AD&D inspired mechanics with an interactive novel strapped on it, I guess. it's like inverse Torment

Oh well then we're good, same page etc. etc.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
Holy poo poo I suck at this game. I can't even beat lvl 3 of od nuen. Ogres keep killing me. I'm only lvl 4 though. Learned the hard way I couldn't beat that drake at the bottom of the cavern. Still an awesome and addicting experience for me though!

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
just come back later. level 4 is pretty early to be that deep if you're on hard or something and don't know the game system very well yet. which you won't at that point the first time through, unless you're a master gamer or some poo poo

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

LEvel 4 is about right for fighting the drake I reckon.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I could definitely do it at level 4 now but I couldn't when I first started playing

but maybe you're just a more powerful gamer than me

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

The White Dragon posted:

good game. long, though, so i probably won't replay it until around this time next year at the earliest. i'm no longer as excited about it as i was on launch day, but it's definitely in my top ten sharing space with the likes of ff9, lost odyssey, mother 3, alpha protocol, and suikoden.

i skipped a bunch of sidequests and ended up at the final boss at like level 9. thanks to my lovely gear i basically can't land a single hit and his flamestrike spam one shots everyone thats not eder. all the advice i see involves cheesing it with petrify but i dont even have level 6 spells :smith:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Razakai posted:

i skipped a bunch of sidequests and ended up at the final boss at like level 9. thanks to my lovely gear i basically can't land a single hit and his flamestrike spam one shots everyone thats not eder. all the advice i see involves cheesing it with petrify but i dont even have level 6 spells :smith:

I never used petrify.

My advice is just to Hit Thaos with everything you've got ASAP. You want him out of the fight as soon as possible. Both his combat spells and high level buffs will wreck you given any time. If you have any way to cancel the buffs he puts on himself (there's some priest and paladin stuff you should have at that level that does that), then do that while a druid/wizard/cypher/dude with a gun shoots the hell out of him.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

The Sharmat posted:

I never used petrify.

My advice is just to Hit Thaos with everything you've got ASAP. You want him out of the fight as soon as possible. Both his combat spells and high level buffs will wreck you given any time. If you have any way to cancel the buffs he puts on himself (there's some priest and paladin stuff you should have at that level that does that), then do that while a druid/wizard/cypher/dude with a gun shoots the hell out of him.

wow this was actually a lot easier this time round. before i was trying to kill the statues before thaos so he couldnt possess them. using a bunch of consumables helped a lot too, those protection scrolls that give -50% duration to negative effects and +20 all defences are an enormous difference in fights with a bunch of control and status effects going around.

that flamestrike spam is still bullshit though, RIP my rogue

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I like that the last Monk skill lets you pull an Instant Transmission and punch a motherfucker across the map.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
I can't even defend my castle from skeletons and bandits. I really gotta figure my poo poo out. ..

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
never autoresolve a castle fight, like in most games, autoresolve hates you and wants you to lose

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
The castle poo poo is just annoying sometimes. I beat a guy up and put him in my jail! He escapes immediately. Some drunk rear end in a top hat's hanging around! I pay him off. A merchant has braved the bandits! He's selling some useless piece of poo poo.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
you should be able to force the drunk into a drinking contest with Durance

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Benagain posted:

The castle poo poo is just annoying sometimes. I beat a guy up and put him in my jail! He escapes immediately. Some drunk rear end in a top hat's hanging around! I pay him off. A merchant has braved the bandits! He's selling some useless piece of poo poo.

I was really hoping the dungeon thing would be more like "oh, you have a dungeon? now you can throw a dude in the dungeon at almost any point during a quest", so that I could be all "Nah, gently caress you Raedric you done some seriously hosed up poo poo but you did it with good intentions so just rot in this dungeon for the rest of your miserable life alone and living on scraps instead of me killing you"

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I was hoping it would integrate into the plot like you could capture a Leaden Key guy and interrogate him or something. the dungeon is the absolute worst part of the stronghold and kind of drags the rest of it down with how pointless it is

I still build it though because I have to build it all

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I am about to start playing this for the first time and I am looking for some advice on making a cipher for hard mode. I am going with some kind of godlike, does this affect anything or is it just cosmetic? What stats are important? After bonuses I arrived at 8 might, 10 con, 11 dex, 15 per 19 int 15 res. Is this good or are the fighting stats too low? How much will I need for each of the conversation stats to always have a good amount of options available? For spells I am thinking the terrify and the charm since they sound the most fun, are they any good?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mr. Unlucky posted:

I am about to start playing this for the first time and I am looking for some advice on making a cipher for hard mode. I am going with some kind of godlike, does this affect anything or is it just cosmetic? What stats are important? After bonuses I arrived at 8 might, 10 con, 11 dex, 15 per 19 int 15 res. Is this good or are the fighting stats too low? How much will I need for each of the conversation stats to always have a good amount of options available? For spells I am thinking the terrify and the charm since they sound the most fun, are they any good?
Ciphers are crazy good at DPS, you want 18 might and about 16-17 dex. Dump per and res since they're useless for characters who aren't sitting on the front line, and Ciphers are too squishy to be melee fighters. To get the most out of him, you want him at middle range with a blunderbuss for most of the game.

The post at the top of this page is really good and will steer you right:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3706905&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=193

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

what's your guys' fav method of handling shades? i like the game but they spawn so often it gets old fighting them so much

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Mr. Unlucky posted:

Don't worry too much about the "talky" stats. Most of the options for them are flavor, though there are a few times in the game where high resolve lets you do an optimal thing you couldn't normally do.

Otherwise yeah just follow Lunchmeat Larry's advice. Though hard isn't so hard that you have to have a perfect optimal party or anything anyway.

A Spider Covets posted:

what's your guys' fav method of handling shades? i like the game but they spawn so often it gets old fighting them so much

Maximum DPS, preferably in spell form, is the simple answer. If you're just going with story characters and are at the temple of Eothas or something, you need to buff your guys and debuff theirs for your melee dudes to hit them with any reliability.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

The Sharmat posted:

Maximum DPS, preferably in spell form, is the simple answer. If you're just going with story characters and are at the temple of Eothas or something, you need to buff your guys and debuff theirs for your melee dudes to hit them with any reliability.

ah thanks. most of my dudes are physical, i'll try getting some more nerds wizards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

A Spider Covets posted:

I use my monk to punch them all into the floor and then I kill them.

• Locked thread