Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Amergin posted:

People around the world appropriate American culture all the time. Look at a group of Chinese youth and you'll see the appropriation of black American hip-hop culture that is a result of black urban culture tailored by rich white people.

we called them wiggers in my day.

now we just have a politically correct way of saying it.

nobody has a copyright on how you can dress or talk, and getting mad because someone "steals" your culture is pretty stupid.

you just said they stole black culture, not American culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Cole posted:

nobody has a copyright on how you can dress or talk, and getting mad because someone "steals" your culture is pretty stupid.

Then the point of this thread is...?

Assuaging your white guilt by showing how concerned you are about the minorities and their cultures, but on the internet?

So... this thread is the tumblr of D&D?

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Bad Mr Frosty posted:

Can you list which groups don't suffer from racist institutions, so I know which cultural identity I can dress as for Halloween. Thank you.

Lederhosen wearing bavarian is a safe bet.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Obdicut posted:

Wrong-thinking humor? What are you talking about?

It's just impossible to tell, in this vale of strawmen, what your actual position is.

:spergin:

I would submit to you that you are appropriating the culture of serious discussion, stripping it of important context, and trying to flaunt it for status without understanding its deeper meaning.

I, for one, am outraged.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Obdicut posted:

It's just impossible to tell, in this vale of strawmen, what your actual position is.

Excellent.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"
Yeah, again, this is pretty easy. It's basically common human decency, with a very slight amount of awareness that things may be important to other people and it's nice to understand that.

That this blows up in your guys mind to the point where you're unironically saying that the Lakota desire to preserve their culture is the same thing as a white supremacist creed--I can't help you with that. It's just looney tunes.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Obdicut posted:

Yeah, again, this is pretty easy. It's basically common human decency, with a very slight amount of awareness that things may be important to other people and it's nice to understand that.

A mirror we could all turn on ourselves to discover an ugly, spergy truth.

If I should ever pass through the States again and one day be accosted by a 33yo 2nd year Gender Studies major while trying to order a burrito at Chipotle (which I find delicious) and ze calls me out on my cultural appropriation of latino foods I will give ze's outrage my full consideration as ze is a human being worthy of decency and respect.

I will probably still order and enjoy my tasty burrito, to be clear. I am and will ever be a monster, devoid of empathy.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Amergin posted:

Then the point of this thread is...?

Assuaging your white guilt by showing how concerned you are about the minorities and their cultures, but on the internet?

So... this thread is the tumblr of D&D?

Pretty much. It's people concerned about something really, really stupid. It's tumblr with better grammar.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Cole posted:

Pretty much. It's people concerned about something really, really stupid. It's tumblr with the same grammar.

fix that for you, thank vry much you :clobert:

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Now, I can understand expatriates wanting to exterminate Native Americans, because the average expatriate is a raving racist and the ones we have here are basically the bottom of the barrel, but I don't understand why all these Europeans want to do it. Traumatized by Westerns at a young age?

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

wateroverfire posted:

If I should ever pass through the States again and one day be accosted by a 33yo 2nd year Gender Studies major while trying to order a burrito at Chipotle (which I find delicious) and ze calls me out on my cultural appropriation of latino foods I will give ze's outrage my full consideration as ze is a human being worthy of decency and respect.

This won't happen, though. it's a ridiculous fantasy.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Effectronica posted:

Now, I can understand expatriates wanting to exterminate Native Americans, because the average expatriate is a raving racist and the ones we have here are basically the bottom of the barrel, but I don't understand why all these Europeans want to do it. Traumatized by Westerns at a young age?

People dressing up as Native Americans for Halloween circling around to exterminating an entire race of people is the definition of overreacting.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cole posted:

People dressing up as Native Americans for Halloween circling around to exterminating an entire race of people is the definition of overreacting.

Wow, look at this thin-skinned xher lmao. Too triggered to take a joke? :smug: :smug:

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Obdicut posted:

This won't happen, though. it's a ridiculous fantasy.

Mind. Blown.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

wateroverfire posted:

Mind. Blown.

Yeah. So, again. cultural appropriation is a real thing. Coming up with infinite examples of trivialities that you claim people will get upset about isn't going to change that at all. In the end, it comes down to basic decency and having mutual respect for other people. A lot of people can't handle that.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Effectronica posted:

Wow, look at this thin-skinned xher lmao. Too triggered to take a joke? :smug: :smug:

Ironic jabs at transsexuals? Okay with D&D now? Let me know so I can start saying "human being" and poo poo like that.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Obdicut posted:

Yeah. So, again. cultural appropriation is a real thing. Coming up with infinite examples of trivialities that you claim people will get upset about isn't going to change that at all. In the end, it comes down to basic decency and having mutual respect for other people. A lot of people can't handle that.

Not wearing a sari: we can all agree, it's just basic dignity.

I for one am glad that after slow rolling Peru all the way to Lima 150 years ago Chile appropriated Peruvian cuisine and now it's everywhere. A matter of mutual respect.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cole posted:

Ironic jabs at transsexuals? Okay with D&D now? Let me know so I can start saying "human being" and poo poo like that.

You can do whatever you like, just like how I'm going to tear your heart out of your chest and eat it. I am completely serious, because only you possess the power to be facetious.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Effectronica posted:

You can do whatever you like, just like how I'm going to tear your heart out of your chest and eat it. I am completely serious, because only you possess the power to be facetious.

Is it okay with D&D to be ironically racist/prejudice now, like you just were?

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Cole posted:

Appropriating GBS posting culture - not a cool thing and very disrespectful towards other humans.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
An important distinction between the Lakota and white supremacists is the latter are in no actual danger of having their culture, language and religion lost forever. "We must secure the existence of our people and a future for white children" is necessarily a front for white supremacy and segregation because white culture is not under threat of extinction. That's not true of the Lakota.

If cultural diversity is a public good, a pragmatic case can be made for purposefully avoiding actions which would have the effect of diluting the cultural uniqueness of minority cultures. On the other hand, if the extinction of a minority culture is inevitable, appropriation might be the only way elements of that culture survive.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cole posted:

Actually, I've been assured by millions of your fellow GBS people that pronoun jokes are not prejudiced. Maybe you should stop being so sensitive.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Effectronica posted:

Actually, I've been assured by millions of your fellow GBS people that pronoun jokes are not prejudiced. Maybe you should stop being so sensitive.

You didn't answer my question. I'll quote it.

Cole posted:

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

wateroverfire posted:

Not wearing a sari: we can all agree, it's just basic dignity.

I for one am glad that after slow rolling Peru all the way to Lima 150 years ago Chile appropriated Peruvian cuisine and now it's everywhere. A matter of mutual respect.

Again, focusing on the trivial aspects of cultural appropriation--like wearing a sari or not--doesn't erase the larger issues of cultural appropriation, just like focusing on trivial aspects of sexism doesn't erase the larger problems of sexism.

One side effect of playing stupid, by the way, is that you actually look stupid.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cole posted:

You didn't answer my question. I'll quote it.

Your question is a non sequitur. Maybe you should spend less time on your Steam account and more time reading books. :smugbird:

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Effectronica posted:

Your question is a non sequitur. Maybe you should spend less time on your Steam account and more time reading books. :smugbird:

I'm not being a prick to you here. I'm asking a very, very simple question: is ironic prejudice/racism okay in D&D?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cole posted:

I'm not being a prick to you here. I'm asking a very, very simple question: is ironic prejudice/racism okay in D&D?

You're going off-topic~

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Effectronica posted:

You're going off-topic~

And by not answering the question you are helping remain off topic. We will be back on topic if you answer this:

Is ironic prejudice/racism okay in D&D?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cole posted:

And by not answering the question you are helping remain off topic. We will be back on topic if you answer this:

I have no idea, because unlike you I am a human being rather than a NEET. :D

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Effectronica posted:

I have no idea, because unlike you I am a human being rather than a NEET. :D

You realize that by skirting the question you're just making yourself look like a prejudice piece of poo poo, right?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cole posted:

I just answered this. Guess they don't teach reading in SJW school.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails

wateroverfire posted:

I will probably still order and enjoy my tasty burrito, to be clear. I am and will ever be a monster, devoid of empathy.

Wahahaha where even do you get this poo poo? Like yeah maybe if you hang out in a liberal west coast college dorm room for long enough you might bump into one of these people off the internet, but the idea that this is some kind of societal problem or statistically likely to inconvenience you to any significant degree is baffling. Why are you so afraid of these people?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Effectronica posted:

I just answered this. Guess they don't teach reading in SJW school.

No you didn't.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cole posted:

No you didn't.

I just told you that I didn't know, and explained why. You are not a human being, so you fail to understand the notion of an independent self.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Effectronica posted:

I just told you that I didn't know, and explained why. You are not a human being, so you fail to understand the notion of an independent self.

No, you ducked the question pretty horribly. Unless you want me to believe you're clueless about racist and prejudice comments being okay in D&D. I would like your honest opinion on it.

Your last several posts are why D&D constantly turns into a shitfest. Just answer the question.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Cole posted:

No, you ducked the question pretty horribly. Unless you want me to believe you're clueless about racist and prejudice comments being okay in D&D. I would like your honest opinion on it.

Your last several posts are why D&D constantly turns into a shitfest. Just answer the question.

Just FYI, Effectronica isn't a mod and isn't in charge of D&D. He's also a troll or indistinguishable from one.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cole posted:

I don't have an opinion on a matter of facts, even though I don't know or care about the facts in question.

Morkies
Apr 19, 2015

by zen death robot
jesus loving christ

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

murphyslaw posted:

Wahahaha where even do you get this poo poo? Like yeah maybe if you hang out in a liberal west coast college dorm room for long enough you might bump into one of these people off the internet, but the idea that this is some kind of societal problem or statistically likely to inconvenience you to any significant degree is baffling. Why are you so afraid of these people?

Should spend :10bux: and rereg as Poeslaw IMO.

But also methinks ze is not as well traveled as ze might imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

wateroverfire posted:

Should spend :10bux: and rereg as Poeslaw IMO.

But also methinks ze is not as well traveled as ze might imagine.

Hey, can you answer that dude's question? You seem like you might know.

• Locked thread