Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
The closest Western example I can think of is the sort of appropriation by Western corporations and media of things that have a deeper significance in their own culture. A lot of Christian imagery and festivals have been appropriated to sell things, to the extent that cross jewellery, rosaries and crucifixes are fashion accessories, and some practising Christians get really upset about people losing sight of "the real meaning of Christmas/Easter".

It's not as big a deal though because Christianity is the dominant religion in the western world and churches still have a lot of power, money and status. And Christianity permeates the countries and cultures where that kind of stuff is sold enough for that sort of appropriation to be a fairly minor problem in context; in countries where they sell chocolate eggs and Santa hats, it's not like that's people's only exposure to Christianity, everyone already knows things like the Nativity story and the Easter story.

edit:

Gabriel Pope posted:

If someone wants to look like a tacky idiot I have a hard time seeing the righteous rage. I only really think a line is crossed when someone's making profit from minorities at their own expense, e.g. authentic ethnic restaurants/craftsmen/artists being driven out of business by lovely knockoffs repackaged for mass consumption.

That's the main problem I have with it, especially if the knockoffs are being made through dodgy employment practices like sweatshops or gangmasters exploiting the manufacturers. Or, since food was brought up earlier, foods like quinoa and acai being sold as fancy "superfoods" to idiot hippies when they're basic staples in parts of South America, which leads to hugely inflated prices and food shortages for the people who live on them. It'd be like if a rumour started in the Far East that potatoes were really good for you, and we couldn't afford to eat chips or mash any more.

Stottie Kyek fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread