Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
To me the easiest way to know if something is cultural appropriation or not is to ask a simple question: Did you earn it?

The best example of this I can think of off the top of my head are "Tribal" tattoos, most people get them because they look cool but amongst the indigenous Pacific Islanders that invented the style they are earned, each drop of ink is an expression of the wearer's achievements and lifestyle that is practically its own language.

If there's any aspect of the thing that requires earning it, say performing a rite of passage or doing a religious ceremony, and then someone from another culture tosses it on because it looks cool it's appropriation in my book. Otherwise go nuts, just try to be respectful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread