Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Obdicut posted:

It's meaningless to say it 'isn't real'. It's something describable: when people not from a culture who have no real understanding of it grab some trappings of it and use it for their own ends, usually just to gently caress around with. Whether this is really a bad thing is arguable, but that it actually occurs really isn't, which is pretty obvious. But sure, at the crudest levels, it's 'just' racism. But then you get the parts where the people are earnest, they really like the culture they're appropriating from, but they still divorce whatever cultural object it is from the context. Again, whether or not this is a bad thing is completely arguable but it definitely happens.

What are some over overwrought pseudo-intellectual terms created by disphit leftists to perpetuate white guilt? This seems like maybe your speciality area, and I'm curious.

"concern trolling"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I suppose "transethnics" on Tumblr also fit into this.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Mandy Thompson posted:

Its possible to care about both things.

I wouldn't say all appropriation is bad but some appropriation really upsets people and we should be willing to listen to their concerns.

Even the people who get upset when a white guy eats ethnic food?

e: Re: Dreadlocks, arn't those more of a lack of a hairstyle than anything else? I actually mostly see them on old hippy types around where I live.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Can Western culture be appropriated?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
He just looks like a Redskins fan to me.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Jakcson posted:

'Das Kapital', volumes 1, 2, and 3, by Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels.

He said literature, not toilet paper.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
If a white guy owns a taco truck, is that appropriation?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I'm deeply moved. We could all learn a thing or two from The Insect Court. Look how much he genuinely cares.

goldmine

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Baron Porkface posted:

The NFL is a trust and is partially subject to congress.

Doesn't matter. The teams themselves are private property.

Or, rather, privately owned corporate entities.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Hey Zeitgueist you big idiot, here's a hint: when I post about white guys owning taco trucks, I'm not "concern trolling", I'm actually trolling, because it makes people like you flip the gently caress out and it's funny.

Your complete lack of any sense of humor or perspective is why people like making you mad, because it makes you post more crazy things for people to laugh at.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

WoodrowSkillson posted:

the one way you could fix the world would be to kill all the white people

The sad thing is, there are people on these forums who sincerely believe this.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Why are you forcing patriarchal expectations on strange women at bars?

:goonsay:

This thread is the gift that keeps on giving.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

rudatron posted:

Is your process of debate simply ascribing opinions to people that they themselves have never said?

That's exactly what it is. Effectronica argues with the imaginary people in his head, not with us :ssh:

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Clearly, the only possible solution to cultural appropriation is strict racial and cultural segregation. Everyone should band together with only people like them and instinctively distrust any outsiders.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Clipperton posted:

that's the sixth time in a row you've made the exact same post, congratulations

also lol the guy who wants to nuke europe is still coming across as way more sensible than effectronica and sedanchair

To be honest, a markov chain bot made using Freep posts would come across as more sensible than effectronica and sedanchair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Pissing on native cultures to make a buck is far from only an American thing, the Europeans have been doing it for literally millenia

• Locked thread