Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Obdicut posted:

Like almost anything worthwhile in the world, there is no 'line'. Most of it is basic common sense. Dressing up like an 'indian', just an 'indian'? Obviously loving stupid as poo poo. Doing something and calling it a Hope medicine ritual when you're not at all Hopi and don't have any sort of understanding of the culture? Ugly and idiotic. Dressing up as a really faithful and well-researched recreation of a Chippewa Indian, and knowing about that tribe in depth? Questionable but at least there's some sort of argument to be made.

Most of this stuff is obvious, the things that are right on the line we can leave to the actual people who might possible be directly affected to raise as an issue rather than go hunting for it.

I wouldn't even call dressing up as an Indian cultural appropriation. If it's insensitive or mocking why not just call it racist? I don't think cultural appropriation is real. Rather it's just another overwrought, psuedo-intellectual term created by dipshit leftists to perpetuate white guilt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Still not seeing the difference between cultural appropriation and cultural diffusion in most of the examples given ITT (I'm pretty sure cultural diffusion can be commodified). poo poo like the Redskins mascot is not cultural appropriation, it's a racist caricature. What is being appropriated there besides a racist stereotype of American Indians created by white people? Leftists say that white people appropriated rock and roll from black people (as if rock and roll were invented in a cultural vacuum with no influence from European and Anglo-American styles of music), and that this is cultural appropriation because black musicians did not receive the pay and recognition they deserved. In other words, their criticism lies specifically with a racist music industry (and a racist white audience) discriminating against blacks--not white kids copying Elvis who copied stuff from rhythm and blues and gospel while adding his own style. The term is cumbersome and arbitrary to the point of uselessness.

The Swastika is the most convincing example of cultural appropriation since the Nazis effectively deleted the original meaning of the symbol in many parts of the word and replaced it with their own.

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 25, 2015

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Effectronica posted:

The only way to fight racism is to assume that it's all a big blob with RACIST on the front and not distinguish anything else at all. Mhm.

And no, liberals and leftists say that rock n' roll has been culturally appropriated because it has been made white music. Blue-eyed soul, for example, didn't end up appropriating soul as a whole genre, because it didn't end up making white soul artists the norm. Jazz and the blues sit between the two, in that they've become much more white, but their history is still largely recognized and it's still ordinary to find black jazz and blues musicians. Rock n' roll has absolutely been appropriated.

And look, we're back to dubious history as the only consistent method of proving CA. Please cite the black cultural movement of Rock and Roll that was scorched from existence by Elvis and Led Zepplin. If that proves difficult then maybe rock and roll did not replace a black cultural phenomenon, but created a similar but distinct movement within white culture.

People in this thread are having a hard time citing instances of CA where the source culture was "ripped from existence" as a result of white people mimicking out-cultures. The Swastika is a compelling example.

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 25, 2015

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Lichy posted:

e: It's cute that some people treat their culture like their possession though, to the extent that they think they have to consent to their culture being modified.

ORIGINAL CULTURE DO NOT STEAL

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

hakimashou posted:

The imitation, appropriation, mixing, melding, borrowing, and whatever else that takes place is just the ordinary means of the development and enrichment of human culture and has been since the dawn of time.

If western women get to wear saris and indian women get to wear pant suits, all the better for both, since both get more.

There is no "this is ours and you can't use or imitate it."

No, but, you see, it's only bad when white people do it. But not because of systemic discrimination and exclusion of out groups from participating in the white dominated mainstream. No, it's literally "white people see and do the same thing I do and that's why it's bad."

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Jakcson posted:

You do know that people actually do things that they have no material reason to give a poo poo about and don't like doing because they need money?

I mean, it's apparently not a "thing" in the USA, as almost a third of the population has literally "stopped looking for work", even though there are plenty of jobs that need to be done. Maybe that explains why so many jobs are outsourced; perhaps too many Americans think they are "too good" for IT jobs, or something.

Yes. I think that only people with a certain percentage of "white" DNA should be allowed to enjoy and/or partake in African-American culture.

After a certain percentage point, it becomes dangerously close to racism.

Please don't appropriate conservative culture.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Is blackface cultural appropriation?

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Still looking for clarification on whether or not blackface is cultural appropriation.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

Wait, what? The true orientalism is people getting Chinese characters tattooed on their arm cause it looks cool. No nuance or context .

This sort of hyperbole is why people cannot take the left seriously. The true orientalism is getting a letter of the alphabet tatooed on your arm. Also white people with dreadlocks are literally oppression.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

What do you mean true orientalism? Orientalism can encompass many things, even minute things.

In what way is a person fostering negative stereotypes about Asians by getting a tattoo of an inoffensive word or even something as simple as a letter? I mean, I won't deny that exoticism may be a motivating factor for some people with these tattoos, but it isn't essential. It is possible to just like something for what it is.

I think calling a Chinese character tattoo "true orientalism" is endemic of the rhetorical malpractice which discredits the left, especially among the proletariat who do not have the time or desire to separate the ant poo poo from the pepper with regards to what is and is not orientalism.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
"What is the formula for calculating if my Bruce Lee poster exceeds the appropriation threshold?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

*squints*

*rubs eyes*

OK, I give up. Which one is the real indian here? I can't tell because of all the cultural appropriation. Is it the white guy wearing the red, white, and blue feathered headdress?

• Locked thread