Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
there are more important problems in the world than people ~appropriating~ a knockoff of other people's behaviour

e:

fspades posted:

Cultural appropriation is another trivial thing the worthless American left obsesses over while literally billions of "people of color" are suffering tremendously under poverty, exploitation and imperialism. The only reason why it is a hot button issue is because it involves Katy Perry and snotty college students.
what he said (but the british alleged left is somehow just as embarassing)

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Mar 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Boing posted:

This just in from UKMT:

ahahaha lol

dissolve the nus and replace it with something useful (e.g. a body advocating for better cheaper education)

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

I am surprised nobody has mentioned Apache helicopters are cultural appropriation :fsmug:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Echo Chamber posted:

There are people who want to contort white people with Chinese letter tattoos into a free speech issue or Political Correctness Gone Mad rather than just agree it's stupid and move on.

white people aping glorious nippon sina seres are on average dumb douchebags but so are people getting upset about it as a social justice problem

was that so hard

sorry for infringing on bogan culture

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Mar 28, 2015

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Echo Chamber posted:

You're doing exactly what I described, by twisting it into a story about the PC police.

I get the impression that they're not even arguing about the thing supposedly in question but are instead displaying the tip of the iceberg of anxiety and resentment.

"Making fun of clueless weaboos and sinophiles? It's gone too far. This is where I draw the line."

Nah, it's more "people need to chill out and stop getting pointlessly outraged over the stupidity of idiots"

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:irony:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Effectronica posted:

Except that that's not really the case. First of all, there's a growing realization that white cultures are capable of being appropriated, which someone in-tune with internet leftism should be aware of, especially since it produces really annoying stuff.

As a mixed race asian-white (I refuse to use the stupid American-only descriptor of "caucasian" for "white") wholly removed from mysterious oriental culture and just as wholly immersed in the Culture of The West I can proudly say I don't give a poo poo about browns other races people who must somehow be treated differently appropriating my culture. Feel free to be offended by any or all parts of this statement.

More seriously, the problem with stupid internet leftism is that 15 year old idiots who only know to shout "check your privilege" at anything they don't like after having read suitably outraged blog posts will eventually grow up to be maladjusted adults in positions of responsibility who still have no clue what to do in the real world when shouting "check your privilege" does not work.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Apr 1, 2015

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Effectronica posted:

Well, personally, I'm glad that you've decided to boldly declare for nihilism, like so many other people in the USA. It will make it so much easier for me to convince my fellow Americans that blood sacrifices and deification of the Presidency are 10,000-year-old American traditions.

I am not an American't (:smug:), so I was in fact appropriating the battle cry for Full Nihilism, Now!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

Fifteen year olds have always had foolish political opinions since ever, why is this go-round the herald of the apocalypse?

Because the internet is full of echo chambers for idiots to pat each other on the back instead of facing reality or something. Surely this generation of idiots will be worse than every other generation decried as idiots since the dawn of time :byodood:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

take the best bits of every culture, mix, discard the rest, maaaan

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Obdicut posted:

Oh. Ok. I haven't found anything like that. Right now my main interaction with 'social justice' is working with a professor and a local hispanic unity group to help would-be deportees plead their cases, especially in establishing narratives that show they face death, torture, etc. if they go home. Racism comes up a lot but I haven't heard any one mention anything about racism = prejudice plus power.

I think there are different definitions of :byodame:Social Justice:byodood: here ~

1) Helping people who are being discriminated against systematically

2) Being an internet retard with terrible unrealistic opinions and misplaced priorities in an echo chamber who has vaguely heard of 1 at some point

HTH

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Apr 2, 2015

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Is drinking coffee cultural appropriation?

sei doch kein muselmann der das nicht lassen kann

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

can a few more people please vote this thread 1? it's at 1.53 and despite my best efforts it's not back at poo poo rating yet~~~

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

i endorse this service and/or product

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Effectronica posted:

People are using appropriation to refer to (a class of) destructive cultural interactions, because those are the only ones they consider to be bad. Nobody thinks that Americans eating schnitzel is bad, because it doesn't impinge on the cultures that originally produced schnitzel at all. People think that white Americans wearing kimono as a fashion statement is bad because they believe it impinges on Japanese-American (and the broader Asian-American) cultures and damages them. People that are informed generally agree that "spirit animals" is a bad thing because it damages Native religions and cultures.

loving lol

~japanese-american~ culture, a distinct culture, which is furthermore different from true nipponese japanese culture

also all asian cultures are a monolithic block and an attack on one of them is an attack on all of them

in addition if all other japanese-americans were still to [asian country]-americans what the japanese are to [asian country]'s population (who we will consider a mysterious uniform oriental block of superior culture) relates to the japanese they would totally not laugh out loud in schadenfreude at fifth generation japanese in amerikkka getting butthurt about weaboos

Holy gently caress, this thread is poo poo, as are all posters in it except maybe rudatron :gas:
but hey, at least it shows that the only culture of most goons is bacteria

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 9, 2015

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

7c Nickel posted:

In the same sense that Black History Month is segregation.
discrimination against blacks in america is an actual thing that happens and harms people unlike many other things people get upset about, hth

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Effectronica posted:

This thread started with an article by a Chinese-American dude complaining about kimono. You should probably complain to him, instead of to me. Also, if you really think immigrants either exactly replicate their mother culture or abandon it entirely, you're... actually of average intelligence for this thread. Not to mention that I didn't even endorse it as a true statement, even. So, in conclusion, you and the rest of the people that obsess solely over money money money should get the reward of Crassus.

prepare to be assimilated

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Effectronica posted:

Okay, so why aren't you bombing the German heritage festivals you can find all around the country? Or at least writing stern letters to the editor about this resistance to assimilation? Little lily around the ol' liver? Face it. People don't always fall in with conformity, and you should be glad of it, because otherwise you'll be constantly in a state of ignorance and misery.

:rolleyes: because it's not worth giving a poo poo about either way (unless germanic heritage festivals somehow attack everyone else) :zaeed:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Effectronica posted:

Okay, so you've realized that your position is incredibly stupid, but you're not willing to admit it, so you start off on the whole "care" thing. Which applies to why you're posting about how bad this thread is just as much. I guess that promoting assimilation is less important to you than whining, which is good, but it would be better if you didn't care about whining as well.

:rolleyes:

"prepare to be assimilated in all ways that might end up harming people apart from that it's a free country"

who gives a gently caress if the average wapanese-american three generations down the line is not a carbon copy of the average redneck culturally, but neither is that difference worth defending just because it exists

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Effectronica posted:

The next step is to start pretending that you really meant FGM, or human sacrifice, or whatever, I see. Does this come with a side of implicit accusations or is it a la carte?

what the gently caress are you even talking about

Effectronica posted:

In other words, you have read that the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing, but you managed to misunderstand it.

seriously, what the gently caress are you even talking about

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Effectronica posted:

So what did you mean? Maybe if you decided to communicate instead of being snide, you'd be able to have people understand you for the first time in your life, and you could move on to things like having people get your order right at restaurants. Or you could see my edit.

:fireman: because letting them happen does not actually cause meaningful problems

Effectronica posted:

If someone does something harmless, and they want to do it, and someone else wants to stop them from doing it, is the second person good, bad, or neither for wishing to force other people to abide by their will?

it's a good thing we're talking about cultural appropriation which does not prevent the first guy doing stuff then

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

a winner is you

quote:

Is diversity a good thing, in your view? Or, conversely, is lack of diversity a bad thing?

diversity is a good thing because it allows cultures to shamelessly crib appropriate good stuff from each other :haw:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Effectronica posted:

Okay, so the extermination of said cultures would be a bad thing, right?

you, too, can become a good roman and we're happy to learn your superior sword making and floor decorating skills

:agesilaus: edit of :agesilaus:ness: :agesilaus::agesilaus::agesilaus:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

like, cultures appropriating cool stuff from each other will trend towards being more similar but with an increasing proportion of cool stuff vs. uncool stuff (or circle the drain together if you're a cultural pessimist) but just conserving cultures like a museum exhibit gets silly

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Effectronica posted:

Is it that reducing diversity is good, or is it that you view subcultures as food, something for you to devour?

yes

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Effectronica posted:

Who's saying anything about conserving cultures? You're acting like cultures inevitably collapse into a monoculture without strict boundaries despite the weight of history against you.

then, as the weight of history dictates, cultural appropriation is by definition insufficient to force uniformity so why should we do anything about it

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Effectronica posted:

This level of fatalism is usually a symptom of major depression. The whole point is that cultures dying or being assimilated is a consequence of human will.

fatalism
noun fa·tal·ism \-tə-ˌli-zəm\

: the belief that what will happen has already been decided and cannot be changed

as opposed to: what will happen is of little consequence and does not need to be changed even if it can be

cultures dying is ok as long as new cultural innovations appear at a sufficient rate to offset that

also cultures can change (e.g. by appropriating cool stuff from other cultures) and may end up being dissimilar to whatever the ~original~ culture was

edit: the former not being a necessary consequence of cultural appropriation which leads to the latter btw

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Effectronica posted:

Is it that reducing diversity is good, or is it that you view subcultures as food, something for you to devour?

also i can't believe i missed the opportunity to call for the preservation of silicon valley techie libertarian subculture in the face of angry bay area residents united by their hate of gentrification and glassholes (who may yet appropriate sv techie lolbertarian subculture in the form of home entertainment virtual reality technology, a cheap imitation of the authentic cyborg lifestyle favoured by the captains of industrial cubicles software engineer work and relaxation areas)

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 9, 2015

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Miltank posted:

Aren't you?

If conserving cultures from the monoculture isn't what you are talking about then I have no idea what it is.

:downs: effectronica would have posted:

you just don't get it

Effectronica posted:

You're the one arguing in terms of absolutes, but I see that you're playing the game where you use different definitions. I guess that I'll redefine "btw" to refer to a confession of complicity in the Rwandan genocide.
that is literally the merriam webster definition

quote:

Do you think that the distinction between cultures disappears automatically without segregation, or are you just saying that cultures should be exterminated as often as possible because there's no value in maintaining them.

Well, I guess diversity is bad then because some people are assholes.

no i think cultures changing and dying out is a thing that happens and propping cultures up just because we can is dumb feeling obligated to prop cultures up just because we can is dumb, be my guest and do it if it's your hobby i guess but don't expect everyone else to do the same

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 9, 2015

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Effectronica posted:

I have outlined the definition I am using multiple times, and the reasoning why at least twice. I will even write it out again if reading the thread is such a painful experience for your little head.
it is, please do~

quote:

Why are you assuming that all cultural change would be banned if we acknowledged this class of interactions as bad? Is it because you feel vaguely threatened, or are you just naturally paranoid?

idk, if i dress in a kimono and look like a dork because i have no taste, do i get called out for my bad taste or for appropriating the identity of nth generation japanese immigrants

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Effectronica posted:

If you're going to put it to a choice between "zero control over yourself" and "total control over others", I'd have to choose punching you in the face.

Funnily enough, this hasn't happened with Germany and France, or between Brittany and the rest of France, or with Wales and England

brioche and croissants are tasty though

also can i buy a basque cap or will that start the next german-french war

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Effectronica posted:

By the primary culture imposing its definitions on the minority culture! Jesus! This should not be hard. Appropriation is one means by which these definitions can be imposed, by subtracting elements. There are others!

ok 1) how am in infringing on japanese culture and self image by wearing a lovely made in china kimono 2) why should i care about japanese immigrant culture more than about silicon valley startup culture

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Effectronica posted:

Culture also involves practices, dumbass. If the majority culture declares that Passover is unacceptable and persecutes those who practice it, no matter how powerful your internal perceptions are, your ability to practice a definition of Jewishness that includes celebrating Passover is constrained.

Banning people from peacefully celebrating is bad quite regardless of whether it's for cultural or other reasons, so shouting "cultural appropriation bad :byodood:" changes nothing

steinrokkan posted:

Specifically in the Jewish case it should be pretty obvious. And I'm not talking only about the Holocaust. Communist countries led numerous show trials against Jewish metropolitanists simply because the leading ideological dogma defined the Jewish people as metropolitan diversants who were incompatible with the internationalist ideal. In that case the Jewish identity was suppressed by the external definition created by the dominant group. It didn't matter how the Jews saw themselves, as long as somebody could be labeled as "citizen of Jewish origin", he was treated differently and forced to act upon the imposed definition.

Discrimination is bad quite regardless of whether it's for cultural or other reasons, so see above

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

For instance in the case of Jews in Communist countries, rabbis were placed under authority of attaches selected by Cultural Ministries, which were obviously part of the dominant consensus re. Jewishness. Which led to pressure on changing the internal life of Jewish communities. The externally formed idea of Jewish identity became implanted into the Jewish community itself. That's a phenomenon related to appropriation, I would say.

"appropriation" = "i take something that is yours and make it mine"

"appropriation" != "i break your stuff"

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

but all the examples of appropriation doing bad things (to individuals, not diluting cultural purity) are already bad because of much more clearly defined and less esoteric reasons so focusing on cultural appropriation is redundant

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Effectronica posted:

If kimono are redefined by the majority culture as a culture-neutral garment, then they have had their Japanese origin erased and can no longer serve as an signifier of Japanese identity. You should probably care more about the culture that's under siege by people who brag about assimilation, which is not Google culture. Assuming you have a moral compass.

#NotAllHipsters

steinrokkan posted:

It's possible. Maybe c.a. should be seen as a cross-disciplinary area of interest than a thing of its own.

This sounds reasonable enough.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Effectronica posted:

Jesus loving Christ, I decide to finally, actually, call someone a racist outright and they're too dumb to get it. Holy poo poo.

Jesus loving Christ, your point is so incoherent and stupid that nobody can take it seriously.

Miltank posted:

I am only speaking to your claims about how culture is damaged by appropriation. I don't have anything to say about what things people find offensive, which I assume is what you mean by 'care'. I also don't mean to say that cultural appropriation is never bad. It is often quite bad because it is happening in a context of exploitation or racism.

Your argument as I understand it, is that the primary culture threatens to destroy minority cultures by undermining the way that the minority culture understands itself. Is that right?

If that is your claim, then I disagree. If its not then I would like you to better explain or to link me to a place that does.

I don't want to type a lot more words refuting something that might not be your argument so maybe this will be the end of my post.

:byodood: "the noble minority is defined only by the grim dark majority and therefore we must treat the mysterious Other (please don't call it that but accuse everyone else of doing so) as a bunch of hipsters. hipsterism is the light."

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Apr 10, 2015

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Effectronica posted:

No, my argument is that certain actions have the potential to damage minority cultures both by impairing the ability to practice culture and by threatening the ability of the minority culture to define its cultural institutions. Obviously you disagree with the latter, and probably not with the former, but your disagreement comes down to declaring that in order to be a really distinct culture, you need to have a sanitary cordon preventing you from being influenced by other cultures, or specifically the primary culture of the society. You phrased it in a really poor way, but the idea itself is rather ridiculous and actually, really, invokes the whole "artificially preserving cultures" notion that people have been attributing to me and to others.

So if cultures don't need to be cordoned off to continue to exist (a thing that I'd say is correct) then why do we need to go to any effort to prevent other cultures in the same area or somewhere else from ~*~appropriating~*~ things that whichever culture you are interested in does?

And no, I don't care about tweens having an identity crisis if that's the extent of the problem or whatever the current sujet-du-jour is.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

-Troika- posted:

That's exactly what it is. Effectronica argues with the imaginary people in his head, not with us :ssh:

It's super effective (at providing comedy for everyone else) though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Effectronica posted:

Do you really not see the difference between "cultures don't need to be isolated to exist" and "cultures are invulnerable to any possible harm"?

* do you have the ability to produce a consistent argument (lol no but it never hurts to ask)

* do you think that cultural purity must be preserved (lol yes but it never hurts to ask)

• Locked thread