Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Obdicut posted:

Please read the section of the thread on Brubeck. Simply put, you're factually wrong. In addition to Brubeck, have you ever heard of a gentleman named Glenn Miller? He's kinda important. I'm going to go ahead at this point and conclude you don't actually know much about the history of jazz.

Brubeck was notably vocal about desegregation and civil rights, and big band is just a whiter form of jazz. You should have hit me with Benny Goodman if you wanted to make the "jazz was appropriated" argument 3/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

unlimited shrimp posted:

I generally don't. It just seems to me that getting distracted by things like cultural appropriation is a lot like playing whack-a-mole when if you really want to win you should just unplug the machine.

So now we're back to the "this isn't important enough to care about" phase of dismissing the argument.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Thread rating is back down to crap, quick someone get another annoying D&D regular in here so we can repeat more rumors the white supremacist doxx offsite came up with and save this thing from crashing!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

dogcrash truther posted:

Well yeah, cultural appropriation is (to me, anyway) obviously real, and obviously happening. But it seems like a sideshow; the problem isn't really that white people sing spirituals or wear dreadlocks or get a "tribal" tattoo or anything like that. If those things are a problem at all, it's in the way that they express and to some extent normalize oppression. They're symptomatic. They're not the disease.

Sure, but symptoms themselves can be harmful. It's not like preventing cultural appropriation will fix oppression, but it's still worth preventing anyway.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Miltank posted:

The language of cultural appropriation functions to obscure the forms of oppression which perpetuate it.

yeah oh deary me we shouldn't talk about academic language in a thread asking for an explanation of academic language

that's just going too far

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bro Dad posted:

I volunteer and help organize local Native American groups and most of them get a lot of their income from making traditional handicrafts and clothes, so its hilarious there's so much hand-wringing about this by white people so desperate to be seen as one of the good ones. Nobody cares who is wearing headdresses and dream catchers because it turns out they need income more than some outsider's romanticized idea of their own culture.

as someone who volunteers with impoverished shitpostless urban youths who never knew their fathers or good posting, i deeply resent the quoted post

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bro Dad posted:

I'm glad you decided are the ultimate arbiter of what is and is not offensive to cultural groups you aren't a member of.

haha you're angry that someone has opinions

simmer down bro dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
this is how i post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuT5wm2-2BM

• Locked thread