Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Boing posted:

I agree. So where is the line? What is it specifically that makes an instance of cultural 'borrowing' disrespectful?

I think trying to draw hard lines on these kind of things is a fools errand. The key is an open and respectful dialogue, as it is in most things. Of course this is often hard when the internet comes into play, but not impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Someone once told me you can care about multiple things at once and I wanted to argue with him, but global warming has a bigger net impact than his single statement so I had to let it slide.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
I once saw a P.F Changs just a block outside of Boston's Chinatown packed full of white people. It was p. hosed up.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
I can't wait till the increasing privatization of colleges drives all the vestiges of leftism off of college campuses so that they'll no longer be some kind of cultural boogeyman.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Someone calling for more posts from Zeitgueist on the inhuman and racist nature of global capitalism? What kind of hosed up thread is this?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

The Insect Court posted:

Wow, I never knew those undocumented Guatemalans working the kitchen over at the local Chinese take-out place were cultural appropriators.

lol, owned

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Once again we have a phenomena were minorities complain about an experience, but confused white people have never encountered it, so it must not exist right? The world may never know...

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Exclamation Marx posted:

I guess I don't see "appropriation" as inherently negative, probably because I'm more used to it being used in the sense of artistic recontextualisation. Is there a formulised name for the non-appropriative kind of borrowing?

Someone said cultural diffusion earlier, which might be a better term. idk

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

The Insect Court posted:

It's not that we necessarily disagree with the concept of cultural appropriation. It's that we think you're a moron who has no real understanding of it and who has never bothered to really engage critically with the issue and has just latched onto it as a way to provide yourself with a smug sense of superiority.

lol

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
I'm deeply moved. We could all learn a thing or two from The Insect Court. Look how much he genuinely cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Hmmm... Some questionable talk on Japanese Americans itt.

• Locked thread