Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
this line from one of the quotes in the op:

quote:

"When I read that a Westerner in a sari is committing the sin of cultural appropriation, I got more than a little offended. Isn’t the intent more important than outside opinion? .. How is my admiration and love of the sari an insult to anyone? How is something so positive turned by some people into a negative?”

really strongly reminds me of the whole Redskins team name/mascot/marching band debate. The privileged think their intent dictates whether people of the culture being appropriated should be offended. I think at some less-mature time in my life, I probably would have agreed. But these days I feel like the privileged shouldn't be trying to dictate to the less-privileged whether they should be offended about anything, much less the use of the trappings of otherized culture for their own ends.

emdash fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

fspades posted:

I don't hate leftists, I'm a leftist. I hate what passes as leftism over there and their silly blogs and campus communities. The global warming example (and it is just an example) was given to show you how far you people are up on your own asses, and how little motivation you have to actually change something. Be true to yourselves; who are you trying to discipline when you complain about cultural appropriation?

where is "there"

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
lots of people itt wanting this to be a white-white issue when not even the three quotes from the OP are from white people. there is tons of literature on this topic from nonwhites to boot. smdh

the Redskins thing is definitely CA; just because something is racist, inaccurate, or chintzy doesn't mean it can't be CA. They use stylized imagery, etc. of a culture their culture annihilated to sell merch and poo poo. It doesn't get more CA than that. It is ALSO racism, they aren't mutually exclusive.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

TheImmigrant posted:

Who denies the existence of cultural appropriation? I just wrote in a recent post that I engage in wanton cultural appropriation. (My kimchi -> sauerkraut analogy is way more apropos than your bibimbap -> meatloaf one though, you have to admit.)

What I am questioning is how cultural appropriation is harmful. There are a lot of conclusory statements to that effect, but no one has explained how yet.

Did you read the whole thread? PTD has given an explanation like two or three times I think

• Locked thread