Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
A perfect example of cultural appropriation is Iggy Azalea. Someone who adopts "hood" culture as there own while not being from the hood, and at times doing and saying things that are actually harmful to people that are from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

SedanChair posted:

Is it harmful? Like, what are white people feeling as they apply ghetto stereotypes to black people, fueled in part by "Fancy" or whatever? Is she inciting them to greater heights of racism?

Define "harmful". Because some of the poo poo she has tweeted has been pretty incendiary.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Powercrazy posted:

Eh there is an argument that normalizing the status quo and reinforcing negative stereotypes is a problem. But calling it appropriation of "black ghetto culture" seems problematic.

Yes, a white girl from Australia who is even clueless about the racism in her home country and how it relates to Aboriginal housing, comes to the United States, adopts rap music as her platform, then proceeds to poo poo on minorities using a myriad of stereotypes while making money off a "hood" persona.

http://black-australia.tumblr.com/post/86986108822/in-this-video-iggy-azalea-is-interviewed-by-the

http://piggyazalea.tumblr.com/

Also, note how I never called it black culture. I mean Eminem while receiving many of the same criticisms has never poo poo on his audience in the way that Iggy Azalea has.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

SedanChair posted:

Ha, I had never seen any of her tweets. Yeah she's an ignorant racist yokel to be sure, and the poo poo she says is insulting. I guess I would consider them "hurtful" but not "harmful" in the sense that they make it harder for people to live. Other than just contributing to the overall culture's perception of minorities, so yeah I'll go ahead and call that harmful. I guess I was thinking mostly of her music, not her ignorant personal life or opinions.

She raps like a "thug". All "thugged" out with the..."thug" dialect. Pardon me sir I believe you'll find that the word "thug" is a reference to the thugee cult of India, and consequently cannot be used out of such a base motive as the one you seem to be alluding to :smug:

No, some of her music has awful lyrics too, such as the lyric that Zeitgeist just posted.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

She also went for the "I am sorry if you were offended" apology.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Lowtechs posted:

Seems to me that the best way to stop cultural appropriation by Whites is White Pride World Wide. Have White people reject non-White cultures and learn to love their own White culture will stop cultural appropriation.

Much like the best way to stop institutionalized racism is to murder all minorities.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Powercrazy posted:

Sure, I've had a girlfriend who has dressed as slutty santa-clause which is absolutely a cultural appropriation of Santa Clause, but so? It doesn't affect poo poo. You can criticize rape culture, or whatever, but cultural appropriation seems like a distraction to excuse you slut-shaming.

"It is only a problem when I think it is a problem." I mean technically the n-word isn't harmful so I guess people shouldn't get upset when people use it.

Zeitgueist posted:

One thing I've noticed about cultural appropriation discussion is that it makes white people on the whole fairly antsy and they start doing the slippery slope thing.

I'm guessing it's that thing where if you talk about racism at all, whites get uncomfortable because they realize they've probably done it and might feel bad.

I know some people lose their poo poo when they aren't allowed to do some things that others can. Like one of the guys on CNN saying that no one should be able to say the N-word since White people can't use it. Im guessing he would go insane if he had to go through all the stuff that black people can't do in society that white people can easily get away with.

http://www.theroot.com/blogs/the_grapevine/2015/03/trinidad_james_debates_the_n_word_on_cnn.html

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

I do have a bit of trouble grasping a couple of things that seem fairly integral to the discussion of cultural appropriation.

Firstly, I don't understand the concept of cultural ownership. As in, I don't understand how people can feel as though they have possession or creative control over a culture. To me it is like a monarch butterfly claiming ownership of the shape of its swarm. Culture isn't a thing we own or control, it is the sum, almost gestalt presence of our shared ideas and experiences, but it isn't a thing in and of itself, that one can point to and claim ownership of, because everything you do changes it. It's like the numbers in an equation getting protective of the solution, it's an expression of its component members, not an independent entity.

Following on from that, I don't understand the feeling that culture must be preserved, because preserving it is antithetical to its nature. Even by deciding to preserve it, you change it, because you create a cultural shift towards conservatism/preservation. The only culture which can be preserved is arguably tautological conservatism, which is to say a culture built around preserving itself. So the argument must surely be instead, not against the modification of cultures, but the modification of cultures by people you don't like, in some way or another.

Which then brings me to the problem that occurs when people do object to the modification of their culture by people they perceive as not part of it: How do you get to decide that? Certainly on an individual level I can understand and entirely support people objecting to the behavior of others for more or less any reason. If you don't like someone doing something that's entirely your prerogative, but I would have difficulty jumping from that to the idea of an appeal to a higher power, some external, omnipresent Culture which is more important than any person, and which needs to be preserved, and which therefore needs the object of your ire excluding from it.

I dunno, it feels weirdly religious or something, like Culture is some kind of weird god and you get to be its prophet or something. Again the possessiveness throughout the whole idea and its strangely segregationist overtones just... make it really difficult for me to understand. It seems like it has all the same problems of people complaining about immigrants not respecting their culture by not speaking English all the time, or people throwing a shitfit about spelling or new words because they are the prophets of the One True Language and everything else since then is stupid. You don't get to decide on culture for everyone, culture is the sum of its parts, and we are increasingly less separated from each other so, yeah, cultures are going to change because of that. All of them.

It works on a personal level, I can entirely understand people not liking the way other people treat things which are important to them, but when it draws in the appeals to authority and stuff I just lose the thread a bit.

I dunno, I think it is weird when people where Indian headdresses to a party as a statement of fashion when a headdress was used in a specific context and environment. Yes, cultures change over time, but they don't just change because they want to change. They change for very specific reasons and in a specific context.

It gets back to an earlier statement I made where it seems that certain people feel that they should be entitled to everything when other don't get that liberty. But it's kind of funny to me that people get pissy about being called out on this poo poo. No one is stopping you from dressing in a Native American headdress, but you can expect to be called out on that poo poo. But the way people react, one would think that it was prohibited or illegal or something.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I don't know whats worse: the people who deny cultural appropriation exists or the people who basically want to tell minorities what they REALLY should be angry about.

Effectronica posted:

A lot of people are taking the position that any and all interaction with a culture not your own is appropriation. This would say a lot about their mindset, but I'm guessing most of 'em don't even try to parse what "cultural appropriation" would mean. Cultural appropriation is an interaction that damages the culture's ability to define itself by ripping parts of it out.

You basically got it. It's not that people are just wearing poo poo. It's people wearing poo poo without understanding the context in which it is worn or what it signifies. In Iggy Azalea's example, its about her taking on this persona while not even getting it right. I mean, for as terrible Macklemore is, he at least doesn't do near the amount of stupid poo poo that Azalea does.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

I'm still having difficulty making a distinction between that and simply "change".

Cultures change all the time in specific contexts and circumstances, yes. But that does not mean it is ok for one to try to change other people's cultures to suit their own needs. A Native American headdress exists for a specific purpose and a specific context. That doesn't mean its ok for a white person to wear it as a fashion statement.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

fspades posted:

Who belongs to what culture, and under what right they have authority to dictate its content?

I dunno, maybe Japanese people who actually know what context the Kimono is used for and who negative stereotypes affect the most have some say in what it should be used for. They certainly have more claim to it than Katy Perry ever did.

Again, no one is stopping you from wearing such things. It just makes you look like a huge shithead when you do.

As for your second point, under what right did white people have to come and marginalize other people's cultures in favor of their own while picking and choosing what they wanted to use from each culture in the pursuit of money, power, prestige, or sex?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Armyman25 posted:

Bullshit. Things are as important as you make them. A person's belief in a religion is not contingent on the opinions of other people. Catholic iconography is used all over the place in popular culture. It doesn't detract from the actual belief system itself.

I believe hegemony plays a big part in this.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

The Macaroni posted:

Something that hasn't come up yet: what happens when different members of an ethnic or cultural group feel differently about cultural appropriation? Some Indian people are deeply offended when a white or other non-Indian person wears a bindi, sari, kurta, or other "cultural" dress. Me? I think it's pretty fabulous seeing non-Indian men or women wear our clothes. For some ladies, it can actually turn out pretty drat hot and if it has the added bonus of getting a couple people to learn more about Indian culture? Win all around.

One of my favorite family pictures features my (African American) wife in a sari and my (very mixed) daughter in an Indian dress. Can't wait for people to tell my kids that they're appropriating their own culture! (On point: black person "teases" Jay Smooth for "co-opting" black culture when Jay is, uh, actually black.)

The same thing that happens whenever people disagree on other stuff in the culture. They discuss it. I mean, not all black people agree on the use of the N-word. Some people think that white people should be able to say it, while others think that no one should say it, while others think its fine for only black people to say it.

But to simply discount minority opinion simply because you are upset that people think you are a huge tool for wearing stuff that you know nothing about isn't cool.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

fspades posted:

What if other Japanese people disagree?

Then they disagree. That doesn't mean you can just ignore everyone else.

quote:

And why should we care?

You don't have to. No one ever said you have to, but it if you really don't care, then maybe you shouldn't be participating in a thread about cultural appropriation.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

What does it mean then? Because I'm not sure I believe that people point out things they disagree with without hoping the person being criticised will change as a result. It would be rather a waste of words otherwise.

It is a corrective measure for sure, but it is hardly "telling someone what to do." Criticism usually involves what was done wrong and then the receiver of the critique can either try something different, not do the same thing, or just ignore the critique.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Such is modern life. I can understand depending on your culture once upon a time, when information from around the world wasn't shoved down your throat 24/7 but I wouldn't put much faith in it now. We aren't as isolated as we used to be, so we change more.

One would think that if information was so free flowing, that some of these people would research whatever the hell they were getting into instead of just going by dumb stereotypes.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Actually quite a bit of this page is just people denying that cultural appropriation can't be meaningfully defined in their eyes therefore, nobody should have to pay attention to it at all despite there being legions and legions of literature on the subject with the information that is so freeflowing.

OwlFancier posted:

Information could be pouring in in torrents but I don't think it would much help the human attention span. We're not especially well suited to dealing with the volume of information we have access to, so you're probably going to be stuck with crappy knock offs for the foreseeable future. At least until everyone ends up part of some weird homogenous porridge culture made up of poorly understood and bastardised ideas from all over the place.

So basically, the people appropriating are just lazy. Got it. I mean Katy Perry had people put together an elaborate show but they didn't have the time to look and see that stereotypes aren't the way to appreciate Japanese culture.

A big flaming stink posted:

I think the most coherent argument on this front is that when corporate sellouts do it, its bad.

E: though some of the more extreme positions seem to wrap around, horseshoe style, to "the races shall not mix"

Also, holy poo poo, this is a huge rear end strawman. All people are asking for is for others to not use people's cultures as props to increase your own cred, understand the context and significance of a cultural item, and not be ignorant. But instead of actually researching some of these things and understanding where people are coming from, all anyone is doing is sticking their fingers in their ears and saying, "well they truly can't claim ownership to it!" instead of doing the sensible thing and simply being respectful and mindful.

Some people think it is the worse thing to be told that they can't do a certain thing. But its kind of amazing to me how people react when the shoe is on the other foot, because it seems that white people flip the gently caress out about being limited in society. It's almost as if they are experiencing a minor part of what minorities go through...

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 25, 2015

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Needing money would seem to be almost the platonic ideal of a material reason?

Essentially, Katy Perry isn't paid to give a drat about other cultures and probably isn't very inclined to do so out of the goodness of her heart, so she doesn't.

So basically she is the very definition of cultural appropriation. "Hey this stuff looks cool, and if anyone gets mad about me taking it out of context or promoting stereotypes? gently caress them."

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

I guess? Though I imagine she and most other famous people do that about almost everything, not just other cultures.

What I'm saying is eat the rich.

No, I am pretty sure that there are plenty of artists out there that don't stupid poo poo like Katy Perry does. Irregardless, might doesn't make it right.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

unlimited shrimp posted:

I think "SJ enthusiast" more accurately captures the concept of a person who dimly spouts received social justice concepts to signify their solidarity with the tribe, but who hasn't seriously interrogated any of the ideas

Or it might just be a lovely made up term much like Social Justice Warrior used to try and discredit people in a conversation. You can attack the argument and not the person if their ideas are so weak.

OwlFancier posted:

My concern about the concept of cultural appropriation is mostly based in the idea that I don't see it as being distinct from just general kyriarchy by people with money and power, and also that it seems functionally impossible to do anything about because it relies on people having possession of ideas to the point that they can rightly complain about how other people dress, speak, or sing.

Which seems objectionable to me.

I mean obviously it doesn't practically affect me being whiter than snow, and functionally ruling the universe as a result, but it's not something I would generally consider appropriate to inflict on others.

Oh poo poo, you basically just described one aspect of colonialism!

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Rodatose posted:

Socially active rap is still alive, however now it competesj in a field swollen with stuff made for play on clear channel radio.

You should check out Kendrick Lamar's new album. Yes it is one album, I know. But Kendrick Lamar is one of the top dogs in the rap industry at the moment.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

paranoid randroid posted:

It's a good album but oh my god the thinkpieces it inspired are embarrassing. You'd think that music journalists had never heard social critique before.

I agree, I especially hate how people have interpreted "The Blacker The Berry". I think Kendrick was a little confused when he wrote the ending to that song.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

paranoid randroid posted:

"How do we approach the Overwhelming Blackness of To Pimp a Butterfly?"

iunno, bub, have you considered listening to it with your ear-holes. I find that usually works.

I actually looked it up and that article is from Slate. What an embarrassing subtitle.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Powercrazy posted:

Where does criticism becomes censorship? Since that is a fuzzy line, I like to ensure I'm as far away from censorship as possible. If that means people are offended, so be it.

Were you upset when Quaker changed the Aunt Jemima logo in 1989?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

JeffersonClay posted:

Is an acceptable definition of cultural appropriation "infringement on the expressive exclusivity of oppressed people over their cultural referents"?

I would take out the exclusive part and and something about usage of a ritual or artifact outside of its cultural context.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Let us English posted:

Symbolically important, are you kidding me. I don't think you could orientalize harder if you tried. Those mystical Asians with their inscrutable writing, how offended they must be when uncultured Americans get tattoos that say "Chicken Noodle Soup." It's writing just the same as writing in our culture. There's no higher meaning to Chinese characters anymore than there's a higher meaning to the letter A.

The use of Chinese and other East Asian writing in American culture is just as dumb and offensive as the use of English in East Asian culture. Which is to say hella loving dumb and not offensive unless you're a tool. My co-worker who wore a shirt with the Virgin Mary surrounded by the words "gently caress this Earth" is just clueless, and I would roll my eyes at anyone who took offense to it in the same way I roll my eyes at most claims of "cultural appropriation."

Wait, what? The true orientalism is people getting Chinese characters tattooed on their arm cause it looks cool. No nuance or context .

Also, telling people not to be offended about something is an rear end in a top hat thing to do and happens to minorities alot.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Typical Pubbie posted:

This sort of hyperbole is why people cannot take the left seriously. The true orientalism is getting a letter of the alphabet tatooed on your arm. Also white people with dreadlocks are literally oppression.

What do you mean true orientalism? Orientalism can encompass many things, even minute things.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Let us English posted:

I live in a place where my culture is commodified and sold to people while the ignore the context and country from where it came. Have you seen what passes for Camembert or Olive Oil in Asian grocery stores? I was literally spit on the other day by a guy with American shoes on his feet and an American cigarette in his hand. I understand why people might be bothered by it, but I still think they're insufferable asses. There are actual problems with racism in this world and people who try to turn bland hummus made by white people into even a tiny racial issue need to rethink their priorities.

No we dont. People are allowed to prioritize different things or work on two things at the same time. If you don't get offended by something then that's fine but there are people out there with real grievances. Some black people don't mind when the n word is said. Others get upset. I don't think it's wrong for people to get upset when the word is used.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Miltank posted:

That is the academic definition and it is a useful concept, but I doubt it is the 'general understanding of racism.' Many, if not most people will tell you that racism is something like the average dictionary definition

That racism is understood as referring to a thing, and the cause of the thing, and the consequence of the thing, makes it a problematic word in my opinion.

I think it is foolish for people to want the word to be so precise when it came to a system that was and is horribly imprecise. But like all things complex, we can explain it and what racism means in different contexts.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Let us English posted:

No, the examples used have been shifting to meet your rhetorical purposes. When challenged, the issue becomes about the Redskins and stealing black music, something everyone agrees is racist, but not exactly why. When circle jerking among those you agree with the issue morphs into white girls wearing saris. No amount of saying 'LOL, white people :rolleyes: ' is going to hide the shifting definitions in this thread.

Shifting definitions? Stuff means different things to different people. If the author of that article is offended, then the author is offended. She even states that it was a personal peeve of hers in the article. It seems like people are just trying to pick one aspect of CA and trying to use it to tear down the concept as a whole when it is a complex system of interactions and transgressions.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Let us English posted:

People have every right to feel one way or another about any issue, but not all claims of racism can be accepted as equally valid or worthy of concern/being addressed. This video is not as much of a parody as it might seem, and points out that sometimes claims of racism are made in good faith but still not valid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsdSTY6Y-rs

Who defines validity? Things are constantly shifting all the time. Let's not forget that the definition of "whiteness" changes over time. And sure, you can just ignore people's claims of racism, but that pretty much is the status quo as it is today. We are talking about a country that ignored claims of inequality and racism because people didn't understand that separate is inherently unequal.

That video really doesn't point out anything other than a guy got a tattoo without really knowing what the hell it meant.

Miltank posted:

It's the commodification of culture that makes it wrong right? This is why I'm not sure that cultural appropriation is a useful concept. It just isn't relevant outside of some sort of economic exploitation, so why not just go straight to talking about that?

No. There is also the Iggy Azalea example posted early in the thread where she shits on the culture that she is attempting to emulate. Not to mention all of the recognition that CA fucks people over on even when it is non-economic.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 31, 2015

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

JeffersonClay posted:

So I can wear a Sari as long as I buy it from an Indian? My hanzi tat is totally legit if the artist is chinese?

You can wear a Sari anytime you want. No one is stopping you.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

JeffersonClay posted:

So I can wear a sari without offending some Indian people by appropriating their culture as long as I buy it from an Indian?

You would have to ask an Indian person. Many would probably agree and many would disagree.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I actually found that this was a great article that has covered a lot of the ground that this thread has already covered.

http://everydayfeminism.com/2013/09/cultural-exchange-and-cultural-appropriation/

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Let us English posted:

No, it points out a claim of racism isn't necessarily valid. The tattoo was a joke, but the point of the video was that many claims of racism by foreigners in Japan are bullshit. There is racism in Japan, but the solution isn't to treat all claims as equally valid. This isn't some theoretical issue, there are lots of foreigners in Japan and discrimination in employment and housing is 100% legal and been upheld by courts multiple times. The existence of said discrimination does not mean all claims by this particular group are correct. Each claim has to be weighed on its own merits.

So even though there has been discrimination against Japanese Americans, claims of appropriation by Katy Perry are bullshit, even if some feel otherwise. Claims of racism in regards to giving a multi-million dollar sports franchise a racial-slur for a name seem pretty legit. Claims that white women wearing an everyday garment from another culture constitute racism and oppression, probably bullshit. Each of these cases can be discussed and considered independently of each other.

90% of this thread is in agreement with each other as to what specific behaviors are appropriate or inappropriate. The disagreement lies in whether cultural appropriation is a useful, informative, or valid rubric through which to judge these matters.

I disagree. Just because a bunch of people agree on something doesn't make it right. You are no one to judge if people's claims about Katy Perry are bullshit. People say the same thing about Iggy Azalea and people have real grievances against her. You are basically taking the "stop being so sensitive" stance instead of simply being respectful of people's wishes.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 31, 2015

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Miltank posted:

Oh man I wish you hadn't edited that post.

E: This whole thread is what happens when you get liberalism all mixed up with leftism. We are supposed to give a poo poo about people's feelings getting hurt? If economic exploitation isn't at the root of the issue then who gives a poo poo? And if economic exploitation IS at the root of the issue, then address that without the pointless cultural appropriation rhetoric.

Maybe I am not understanding you properly, but what I am getting from what you are saying is that if people aren't being economically exploited then it doesn't matter?

dogcrash truther posted:

And yet, you can't. And neither can anyone else. You should think through the implications of that.

You can't do it, so you shouldn't even try. I disagree with that. Blackface is a easy example of appropriation that has largely been viewed as bad because of people speaking out.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 31, 2015

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

dogcrash truther posted:

Why don't you explain what's confusing about my statement so I can better understand how to respond, because it seems self-evident to me.

Im with Zeitgeist, you are being kind of vague. What exactly is the problem with blackface in your eyes.

Miltank posted:

If the people aren't suffering then it doesn't matter. If they are suffering, then its probably because of exploitation rather than cultural appropriation.

Portrayal of negative stereotypes goes along with cultural appropriation and isn't necessarily economic in nature. There is something to be said about the "Psychological wage" as Dubois puts it.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 31, 2015

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Miltank posted:

How do negative stereotypes go along with cultural appropriation?

Blackface is a perfect example. Blackface is white people appropriating what they perceived to be how black people acted and then presented to people in the form of minstrel shows. Some of those stereotypes still exist today.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Miltank posted:

Isn't blackface about making fun of black people?

Yes it is, is it not appropriation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

Hard to call it appropriation if the act is intended to keep a culture or perceived culture at a distance.

Blackface is at its basic form the packaging of what was perceived to be African American culture and broadcasted to others. So yes, it is still appropriation. One of the most easily visible forms in fact.

• Locked thread