Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Death Bot posted:

Strictly better isn't a useful term because there are so many cards that there will inevitably be a named case where a card isn't the best option, aside from the very rare equivalents of bolt vs shock.

It's a useful term when people aren't intentionally obtuse about it. It's useful to be able to look at Marang River Skeleton in the spoiler and say "Oh hey, they made a strictly better Drudge Skeletons" and everyone knows what you mean even if some of them will inevitably concoct an elaborate scenario where Drudge Skeletons is better just out of spite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If I say something like "there's no reason to play Anticipate in Legacy, because Impulse is strictly better" you know exactly what I mean and if you try to concoct some elaborate "BUT WHAT ABOUT MEDDLING MAGE" scenario you're being intentionally obtuse.

The main problem with the term was never those kind of dumb "what ifs" anyway, it was people misapplying it horribly by trying to compare very different cards, like saying Brutal Hordechief is "strictly better" (or worse, I've heard both) than Hellrider.

• Locked thread