Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Yeah, that was part of my point - in an ideal scenario you would have zero dead cards. In reality, even with a great opening hand, the board can get gummed up (making more creatures useless), you've got 2-3 lands down already, etc. It seems like it's more likely that you will have dead cards in a matchup than an empty hand from playing everything.

At that point you're turning dead cards into momentum. The point is that you'll never want to play it when the discard is truly random - you would always try to be sequencing it in a way that is advantageous to you. The scenario with two Sonic Bursts in hand at the same time are reason enough to not play it at all or play the lowest possible number of them.

I can see why more than one can be a very bad idea, but what about exactly one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
For clarity's sake - I'm talking about Sonic Burst

1R
Instant
As an additional cost to cast this, discard a card at random.

Deal 4 damage to target creature or player.

If we were just talking about a bolt effect there are a ton of bad bolts that are better than Sonic Seizure. It's the 4 damage at instant speed that is even slightly appealing.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

LordSaturn posted:

I was wondering about this; I went back and re-confirmed that you were talking about Sonic Seizure, and you definitely were, in your original post.

Sonic Burst at least milks out an extra point of damage, but the downsides w.r.t. the random discard are still overwhelmingly important. You want the last card in your hand to be a Fireblast; Sonic Burst conflicts aggressively with that plan.

I did mention them both originally, but considering how many other bolt effects are out there, I dropped Sonic Seizure from the discussion.

My point is that when random discard isn't truly random, the additional cost doesn't really matter that much. If you're stuck with a Fireblast, Sonic Burst, and a land - just float the mana, sac the Mountains for Fireblast, and play Sonic Burst.

People play Flame Rift, which has a fairly large drawback that's amplified by decks also playing Eidolon of the Great Revel. Is 6 life worth a card?

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
But then you could play Bump In The Night!

Only half serious - doesn't Modern burn do this, though? Not play Tyrant's Choice, but haven't some builds splashed for Bump? Of course Ghost Quarter and Tectonic Edge are nothing compared to the big W.

• Locked thread