Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Saw a KTM X-Bow on the road! (Sorry about poo poo photo quality.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Pukesalot
Nov 3, 2012

bolind posted:

Saw a KTM X-Bow on the road! (Sorry about poo poo photo quality.)

well, it is only on testing-license plate, so it is probably a test drive.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Is it? I'm not really up to speed on my dealer plates vs. export plates vs. temp plates.

Edit: it seems to be a dealer plate: http://www.fdm.dk/nyheder/nummerpladen-kort-cifre

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sir Pukesalot posted:

well, it is only on testing-license plate, so it is probably a test drive.

Or they claim to be using it for "demonstration and exhibition purposes only", which allows you to keep it non-registered, but still drive it directly to and from events.

For any non-danes wondering about this arrangement, yes it is regularly exploited in the most blatant fashion.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jun 25, 2015

Sir Pukesalot
Nov 3, 2012
You are both very right! I'll go back to quietly listening.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Went to Oslo. Saw many, many Teslas.

Also saw a cool old Rover with a tow hook.

And changed the oil on the Beemer. You've all seen an oil change before, so I'll just post a pic of my home made race ramps. They're somewhere between unavailable and super pricey this side of the pond, so I got hold of a sheet of EPS foam, and made my own crude ones. They raise the car 10cm or so, barely enough to wiggle around on the filthy garage floor and get to the drain plug.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

bolind posted:

ramps... EPS foam

Clearly they didn't collapse and kill you, but is that stuff really strong enough to support a car? Why not go for some wood instead?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Yes. I forget the numbers, but the compression strength is more than enough, even estimating the tire's footprint on the small side. It's the same stuff the real race ramps are made of, albeit covered in a plastic shell.

I use them mainly for increasing clearance to get a jack under, or for a quick oil change though.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

bolind posted:

(had to take a bike off the roof carrier before going into the parking garage)

Good you remembered; forgetting after doing a several hundred mile drive is apparently a big bummer per a friend :v:

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
You have no idea how much I fear doing precisely that. I am, at times, sufficiently absent-minded that I could totally see myself just driving down the ramp like I always do. My brain has a terrible tendency to over-optimize things I do every day. I'm the guy who had couldn't have his remote control, TI-89 and old Nokia dumbphone in the same spot on my desk because I would answer the remote, and adjust the volume with the division button.

So I've made a habit of putting away the fob key thingie for the gate, and I pray that'll save me.

I mean, I'm actually halfway sure that you could total a car that way:

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

bolind posted:

You have no idea how much I fear doing precisely that. I am, at times, sufficiently absent-minded that I could totally see myself just driving down the ramp like I always do. My brain has a terrible tendency to over-optimize things I do every day. I'm the guy who had couldn't have his remote control, TI-89 and old Nokia dumbphone in the same spot on my desk because I would answer the remote, and adjust the volume with the division button.

So I've made a habit of putting away the fob key thingie for the gate, and I pray that'll save me.

I mean, I'm actually halfway sure that you could total a car that way:

img-cleveland-falling-out-of-house-in-bathtub.gif

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Mr-Spain posted:

img-cleveland-falling-out-of-house-in-bathtub.gif

Joke's lost on me, haven't at all watched enough Family Guy

So, BMWs apparently need their brake fluid flushed every three wheel revolutions, so best get on that. Onto the hoist it goes:

Not much to be said. I borrowed my mate's vacuum sucky thingie and slowly replaced the fluid. Didn't do the clutch though, I'll look into that next time.

I also discovered that my rear transmission seal is leaking, most likely (this is after I showered it in brake cleaner):

It seems to be a not uncommon problem, and a new seal only costs an arm, so...

Meanwhile, my mate's sweet rear end Beetle:

bolind fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Sep 28, 2015

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Long time no post.

Latest project has been a side track - permanent installation of a Garmin Nüvi GPS.

Basically ever since I got the car, I have been toying with the idea of a nice GPS install. It turns out, the solution was right under my nose the entire time.

Back when these cars were new, BMW offered a middle ground between "KEIN NAVIGATION FÜR DICH UNTERMENCH!" and "HIER IST DAS GANZES VOLLPAKET AUF ACHTZEEN DEE FAU DEES DEIN MEHRPREIS IST ZWANZIG TAUSENT EUROS OHNE MEHRWERTSTEUER!" Apparently, BMW teamed up with Garmin and made a, for the time, fancy aftermarket GPS which tied into the car's electrical system, to provide such things as power-on-when-car-does and pipe-audio-through-the-speakers-after-having-muted-whatever-else-went-on. Even came with a baller TCM antenna which you only had to take off half the trim pieces fore of the front headrests to mount.

But, best of all, and the only really relevant thing, they made a gen you whine BMW plastic thingamajig which fit right into the rather useless storage compartment in the dash which also had the little Garmin ball. At a hundred bucks, it was a bargain!

Also, GPS's have evolved slightly since 4" resistive touch units, and it so happened that someone was selling a brand new in box Garmin Nuvi 2789LMT with 7" capacitive glass touch screen for 40% off retail.

The best part of this is the mount. The GPS unit itself clips into a mount, and the mount has the USB power plug. Which means that the mount can stay in the car, and the GPS can come out for software updates or if there is a risk of theft.

(The suction cup part isn't used, as the BMW compartment part has the ½" ball thing mounted on it.)

Now all there was left to do was to spend two days upside down in the passenger footwell with a multimeter to find a suitable fuse that was IGN ON. And then three trips to the parts store to find a compatible fuse tap. Power is supplied by a USB cable and a 12V->5V DC-DC converter.

The end result looks something like this:

All is not well, however. It turns out that Garmin hosed any and all USB standards, so the cable only charges with 500mA, which is approximately 10mA less than the consumption, leading the bloody thing to sloooooowly run out of battery over the course of a few weeks! :argh: Google knows very little, but it's something like it expects two pins to be shorted and another pin to have a 19kOhm resistance to ground or some poo poo. I'm going to say fuckit and just wire in the original power supply. Will give me TCM as well.

bolind fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Dec 8, 2015

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
That looks really good, sucks about the USB thing though.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Just in time to bump; fixed up the GPS so it runs on its own power supply. Will give it a shakedown run over the next few days, and if there are no issues I'll tidy all the cables.

Edit: seems to be working and now I have TMC now. Yay!

bolind fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Mar 9, 2016

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Had a weird experience. I change my oil every 10kkm. At 9500, it gave me a "low oil warning" when I shut off the car. Fiddling with the electronic dip stick thingie (that's all this car has) it, after long and deep introspection, told me I could add a liter. I was going to change the oil anyway two days later, so I gave it 250mL I had sitting, but it still wanted a liter, so I gave it a liter I also had sitting, and that made it happy.

Went to my friend's shop yesterday and changed the oil and filter. Going to keep an eye on the oil level through the next interval and replenish with the leftovers from the 5L jug if needed(engine takes 4.25L.)

Also changed the gearbox oil, and tidied up the GPS install. Oh, and ate a kebab and bullshittet with my friend a whole lot.

No pics since everything was covered in Redline MTL and my shop cam was out of battery.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

How does the electronic one work? Does it actually give you a readout in volume or just a "not full" light? Not having a dipstick would scare the hell out of me.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
You just fiddle with buttons on the multifunc stalk. The the dashboard displays stuff:

Everything OK.

Needs a liter.

Thing is, it takes anywhere from a few seconds to many minutes for it to make up its mind. It's really weird. And you have to be at idle, on level ground, not moving etc. etc.

It's not very precise. I don't think I've ever seen it fall between the two max/min lines. I'm 90% sure they're massaging the numbers, making it end on "max" even if it's slightly over or under. (BMW did that with the coolant temp gauges on the E46, for instance. Always right smack in the middle unless actually far off.)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Based on my experience with the oil level sensor in my Peugeot, I'm so glad it also has a normal dipstick as well. The electronic readout only displays briefly when you turn the key to ACC, so you can use it without starting the engine, but apart from that, it acts the same as yours. You must be on completely level ground, or it will be completely off. And I think the sensor is at the other end of the oil pan in relation to the dipstick, because if the car is slightly tilted they will show significantly different levels.

For some odd reason, there's exactly 1.7 liters between the min and max marks on the dipstick instead of the standard 1 liter, and presumably this is also true for the oil level sensor. Why? Because France, I guess.

I'm still flabbergasted that BMW, Mercedes et. al. have somehow decided that a good old-fashioned dipstick is unnecessary.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Old-skool dipstick can't tell the zombie behind the wheel that he's low on oil, so they gotta have the sensor anyway, so I guess ditch the manual dip stick and make the bean counters happy by saving €1.10? I dunno.

We need a night of good, heavy rain and a guarantee of no more sub-zero nights. There's so much salt on the roads here, the car looks like a loving martini glass.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

bolind posted:

You just fiddle with buttons on the multifunc stalk. The the dashboard displays stuff:

Everything OK.

Needs a liter.

Thing is, it takes anywhere from a few seconds to many minutes for it to make up its mind. It's really weird. And you have to be at idle, on level ground, not moving etc. etc.

It's not very precise. I don't think I've ever seen it fall between the two max/min lines. I'm 90% sure they're massaging the numbers, making it end on "max" even if it's slightly over or under. (BMW did that with the coolant temp gauges on the E46, for instance. Always right smack in the middle unless actually far off.)

My E90 randomly told me I needed to add a quart of oil. Next startup it went back to saying it's full. Don't trust the lies.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I check my (digital) gauge periodically, as mine does burn/use a bit. Since I have it running at 330 specs instead of 328, I try to change it around every 7k miles. The one time it told me to add a liter, I knew it was getting low, so I added it, then changed the oil the next weekend anyway.

If you're hitting the "I should change it soon" time on mileage, and it's getting low, I'd say just change it. Cheap insurance, basically.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
That GPS build looks great. I take it that there are very few cars in Denmark with real built in GPS as option? I briefly thought of going across the bridge and import a car, since Danish people don't have the same fetish for estates as us Swedes. Never seen so many ads for sedans ever, but drat the specs are barren as gently caress, and the prices are high.
That tax.

VVV: Yeah that's my understanding. It also explains why I noticed that everyone were driving with their windows down. They didn't take AC option to save money due to the tax. A bit inhumane to be honest.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Apr 6, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

MrOnBicycle posted:

I take it that there are very few cars in Denmark with real built in GPS as option?

You can get a lot of cars with optional built-in GPS, but not a lot of people choose that option. The reason is that you pay full tax on the value of options as well, unless it is classified as safety equipment.

So it becomes much cheaper to leave that option unchecked and install an aftermarket GPS unit later.

Yeah, it's a bit weird, and it's probably never going to change. The current government claims to be all for lower taxes and stuff, but they couldn't be bothered to keep the tax exemption for electric vehicles.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Guess who has two thumbs and reversed/turned his passenger front door directly into a concrete pillar in the parking garage at work... :sigh:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

bolind posted:

Guess who has two thumbs and reversed/turned his passenger front door directly into a concrete pillar in the parking garage at work... :sigh:

You now have the perfect track car. Don't fix it.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I felt rather stupid. Luckily, only damage to my own car, no damage to persons, animals or other cars.

Bodyshop guy said that I needed a whole new door, as some of the crash structure inside was/could be damaged.

Good as new. Total bill was $2500(!) but luckily insurance takes care of most of that.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Got an ABS fault a few weeks back. Turns out my car suffers from a common fault: the axles rust, pushing out the ABS rings, causing them to munch the ABS sensors. Thanks, Munich!

Replaced the ring on one side, will do the other Thursday.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
loving thing either has a blown HG or a spun bearing. Sending it off to a trusted mechanic near my folks and preparing for the worst. gently caress.

bolind fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Sep 19, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

drat, that sucks :( I hope it's just the head gasket.

So much for Superior German Engineering, huh? :v:

Sorry, but as the owner of a French car, I am obligated to joke about German cars whenever possible

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Off to the mechanic's with crossed fingers. Let's see what he says. Drove OK onto the flatbed actually.

So now I'm biking like crazy to and from work. Still beats being in a French car ;)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

bolind posted:

Still beats being in a French car ;)

I'll just turn up the climate control a bit, to deal with your sick burn ;)

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

KozmoNaut posted:

Sorry, but as the owner of a French car, I am obligated to joke about German cars whenever possible

Me too. My mother has an E46 of the same vintage (2003) as my Peugeot and the baguette is infinitely more reliable than the bratwurst.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

metaxus posted:

Me too. My mother has an E46 of the same vintage (2003) as my Peugeot and the baguette is infinitely more reliable than the bratwurst.

My e30 and 2 e46s were/have been both much better than my wife's frenchies. Luck of the draw I think.

The clio sheared two half shafts. The 206 got CAN bus BSE and would basically randomly indicate and lock/unlock itself. Both cars decided to turn off their wipers because they got too wet. Et pourquoi non?!

The Partner was fairly solid but had more of its trim fall off than a bmw. A bmw, I say! It was still working fine when sold but sported a large collection of misery-coloured plastic panels lying randomly in the trunk.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
All cars suck Hail Satan.

So the news from the mechanic is not so good. MAF was affected and has been mended, same with thermostat (or water pump, actually can't remember. Was a bit stressed out when we talked.) But the engine pressurizes the crank case, he says, it runs like crap when you take off the oil cap so they were going to check for a) a blocked oil passage somewhere and b) sparkly bits in the oil filter. Why the hell they didn't do b) as the first aye I don't know.

He says that these engines, certain production runs, are crap and die well before my mileage. Others are good, run for ages.

I'm kinda fearing new engine, which I may or may not spring for depending on the price.

Thinking to give BMW a call and see if they want to cover some or all of the cost. I don't have high hopes but it can't hurt. CFO at my old company got a main battery wire replacement covered on an eight year old five series that way, but he has a lot more clout than I do, so...

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Since this is AI
Put an LS in it.

But for EuroAI

A 1.8TFSI.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I find it incredibly disconcerting that your mechanic is changing out the water pump and MAF on an engine that is developing high crankcase pressure.

First step is a compression/leak down test. ...a blocked oil passage, wtf?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Wouldn't you start with the PCV?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

angryrobots posted:

I find it incredibly disconcerting that your mechanic is changing out the water pump and MAF on an engine that is developing high crankcase pressure.

First step is a compression/leak down test. ...a blocked oil passage, wtf?

Yeah, I agree, and I'm going to bring it up with him. If it turns out he's been burning hours on stuff that could've been detected (or rendered void) by sacrificing 15 minutes and an oil filter I'm not going to be a happy man.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Since this is AI
Put an LS in it.

But for EuroAI

A 1.8TFSI.

I'm partial to sourcing a 1M with rear end collision damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Alarbus posted:

Wouldn't you start with the PCV?

Generally yeah that's a possibility, but in another thread where he initially asked for advice, he was also experiencing coolant loss, poor running, and overheating.

So basically every sign pointing to a blown headgadket. Need to see if that's the case or (if he's really lucky) rule it out first, imo.

• Locked thread