Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
So does the chosen one exist in every game and Sisyphus just gets more interactions with him, or is it a mechanic exclusive to a game as Sisyphus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Pharnakes posted:

So does the chosen one exist in every game and Sisyphus just gets more interactions with him, or is it a mechanic exclusive to a game as Sisyphus?

Every game can have a chosen one but he's no chosen at the start of the game. It's a lot like the Nerevarine in Morrowind where anyone can become the chosen one by completing certain tasks according to prophecy. So once the world knows who you are heroes will begin to seek out the prophesy and quite often the one who completes the steps is a champion (because they're the strongest).

There are plenty of ways to influence champions and the chosen one without being Sisyphus but he has more direct abilities. As another old one you might try to get a cursed sword in his hand or demoralize him by murdering his loved ones.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Pharnakes posted:

Yes, he is in every game but 'hidden' at start though. Hidden in the sense he appears as just a normal hero.
http://thatwhichsleeps.gamepedia.com/Chosen_One

If the CO is killed then another will take their place.

e:
^^
Have a you got a link or anything as I thought the wiki was fairly up to date now?

FairyNuff fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 13, 2015

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
In the Endless mode there can be lots of Chosen ones. Must admit I am going to play my first game as Sisyphus but my first endless game is going to be Belial trying and endlessly screwing up trying to take over the world before finally triumphing.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Josh described the game breaking down into two parts. The second part is the endgame where the alliance and the chosen one will attempt to to put you back to sleep. They can do this by restoring the great seal, or casting a big ritual, or finding your physical form and beating the poo poo out of it. Probably other ways too.

The first part of the game and the vast majority of the turns, deals with undermining the alliance and the chosen one as much as possible so that you can overwhelm them when they do appear.

It's possible to win a game before the endgame, but it's "exceedingly rare" to be able to do so.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

In the Endless mode there can be lots of Chosen ones. Must admit I am going to play my first game as Sisyphus but my first endless game is going to be Belial trying and endlessly screwing up trying to take over the world before finally triumphing.

What's endless mode? Getting put back to sleep isn't game over, you just get progress reset to zero and start again? That sounds like it could be great, but very hard to balance properly.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pharnakes posted:

What's endless mode? Getting put back to sleep isn't game over, you just get progress reset to zero and start again? That sounds like it could be great, but very hard to balance properly.

I think that is the plan. I am planning on Belial like a slightly more competent Dr Claw.

Except that even if you "win" the game you can go back to sleep as the world suffers through an age of Darkness, then you wake up to find that a lot of things have gone badly wrong. I think that is it anyway, I couldn't find much written about it.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Endless mode is, yeah, a mode that doesn't end. If you kill the chosen one another one gets chosen eventually. If you're defeated you go into torpor for a few ages and start over. If a lesser evil destroys you you continue to play as that LE.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Normal Adult Human posted:

Endless mode is, yeah, a mode that doesn't end. If you kill the chosen one another one gets chosen eventually. If you're defeated you go into torpor for a few ages and start over. If a lesser evil destroys you you continue to play as that LE.

So its, to put it bluntly, the best way of playing.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

The Yizrii

Long thought to be a race of solitary hunters and mystics, the insectoid Yizrii emerged en masse from their long hibernation to quickly re-establish themselves as a world power. Attempts at diplomacy proved fruitless at first, the strange creatures passed through great periods of isolation only to explode outward without warning, moving as a swarm to claim and ravage an area before constructing enormous complex organic structures within the newly Harvested area. In time relations would develop between the Yizrii and the other races, and some measure of peace was established - though few truly know what occurs within the "Gardens" they tend or when the next Frenzy will occur.

Sample Classes

Yizrii Tonal - Yizrii utilize crystals they grow to regulate their society, soothing their impulses as well as granting them a modicum of power that the crystals inherit from the depths. A Tonal specializes in the evolution of crystals seeking the resonance that will enable their race to ascend the cycle that devastates themselves as much as those unfortunate enough to be in their way.

Yizrii Paragon- In the Frenzy the young must consume the elderly, but a Paragon is the rare Yizrii that survives multiple Cycles. Maintaining the knowledge of their society in the midst of so much loss they serve as the bedrock for a new generation.

Governments

The Hive - A Yizrii Hive inhabits a Garden, maintaining the Crystal Fields that make up the Garden's core. In this form the Yizrii are communal and make decisions through large scale representation. Most Hives are isolationist but some do trade and interact with their neighbors, functioning as a normal part of the traditional political structure.

The Harvest- At the height of the Cycle the Yizrii government collapses and undergoes a process known as The Frenzy, though outsiders refer to it only as the Harvest. In this state the Yizrii retain their intelligence and powers but their focus becomes the creation of a new Garden through the total and complete destruction of a region of the world. The Harvest is, surprisingly, still an incredibly complex government structure with competing factions and interests but the form is distinct from The Hive featuring numerous acts of internecine violence.

These are the Klaxxi. These are literally the Klaxxi and the devs describe them as looking like praying mantis people.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

This looks pretty cool, although there's no way I'm paying extra money to get into a beta. I wish they'd post more videos about actual gameplay instead of just editors :argh:

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Normal Adult Human posted:

These are the Klaxxi. These are literally the Klaxxi and the devs describe them as looking like praying mantis people.

And the Klaaxi are literally the Thri-Kreen from AD&D. There are no original ideas in fantasy.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
This looks amazing and exactly like a game I've been dreaming about for years.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Deadmeat5150 posted:

This looks amazing and exactly like a game I've been dreaming about for years.

You've been dreaming about being a dark god, cruelly destroying the minds of the important figures in the world with your dark whispers? Might wanna get that checked out.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Oh please it's not always turning powerful figures. Sometimes it is about making Coup d'etat of an entire nation and slaughtering the nobility. Or throwing a horde of Orcs under the bus to stop people realising you are behind all the violence.

Also just looked at the "make a civilization" youtube video and it looks like there ARE going to be Old Ones you can make.

Which is amazing.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, but can any of them send yo momma emails to the Chosen One? I don't think so. Sisyphus 2015.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Sisyphus is making me wish there could be some kind of adversarial multiplayer mode. Way beyond design scope I'm sure, but imagine the dickery :allears:

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Ooh, a thread for this. I bought into the beta last year, still waiting for it, but I'm not upset at the delays. TWS just looks too drat good. And yeah, Sisyphus looks a lot more interesting than he did to begin with.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Finally a game that lets me unleash my innner :cthulhu:!

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Infodump about the chosen one mechanic:

At game start it chooses the Chosen One and THEN crafts the prophecy around them - all invisible to the player of course. Even an evil hero can be the Chosen One, there's nothing stopping the Chosen One from being a horrible tyrant, pretty much anything is better than the rule of an Old One. In fact, "evil" Chosen One's are generally harder to defeat than "good" ones due to the extremes they will go to, though "evil" Adventurer archetypes usually end up weaker because they have less allies.

Racial Chosen One's are pretty rare in our scenarios because of the distribution, but they can be the most powerful. An Elven Chosen One is almost game breakingly powerful and you'll often want to kill it early at any cost, though smarter players than I have actually used that to prevent humans from joining the Elven Alliance until far too late - mostly by promoting racism and intolerance.

The Chosen One has very strong plot armor when you are NOT involved - for instance he will never be executed by a King (though if you were present you could influence that decision to occur), and he will never be killed in a neutral battle between human forces though he may be wounded. The line becomes thinner when we talk about things like dungeons or modifiers, if you have added dangers to these places then they can kill him - for instance if you have raised a Sarqaz Remnant in a ruin from the Age of Damnation it could theoretically kill the Chosen One if he went exploring down there making traps an efficient method of either killing or slowing down the Chosen One. Similarly he will always "succeed" at minimum on a quest without your interference though there is no guarantee of a Heroic Victory.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Pharnakes posted:

Sisyphus is making me wish there could be some kind of adversarial multiplayer mode. Way beyond design scope I'm sure, but imagine the dickery :allears:

Please do not expand the scope of this game any further or beta will be delayed to Q2 2016.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

The chosen one sounds really cool, I am probably going to set up at least one scenario where I lose specifically to a Dwarven Chosen one, just for laughs.

Are the Elves really that over powered in the game?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
That whole Chosen One mechanic sounds incredible and now I'm really tempted to do the dumb thing and buy into the beta.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What happens when the Chosen One dies? Is it immediate victory or does the Alliance try to struggle on without them?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
There can be a new one, as soon as some hero fulfils the prophecy he/she becomes the new chosen one. Or maybe that's only for endless mode? I'd imagine if you were still asleep when you killed the chosen one then there would be the possibility for a new one to emerge.

Have they said if the new chosen one must fulfil the prophecy of the original, or does a new prophecy become created when the first dies?

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

This game sounds amazing, I originally thought it was a dominions style game with each player trying to subvert ai races into taking over the world but this sounds cool too.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Lone Badger posted:

What happens when the Chosen One dies? Is it immediate victory or does the Alliance try to struggle on without them?

I asked him about this and this is what i got:

Win conditions are checked at the end of certain event such as City Capture, killing the Chosen One, defending a Heroic incursion on the Seal, or defeating an Alliance Army - if their is no empowered Chosen One your threshold for victory is much lower than otherwise. While the exact numbers fluctuate this will remain the approach we use which - more rarely you can also simply put X number of POIs either in your direct control or uncontrolled (through anarchy or obliteration).

The Alliance (whose actual name is random per game) will always be a major factor in your late game - the Alliance AI contains not just the unified command structure for the nations that have joined but also actively attempts to battle you on the Hero layer and subvert your rituals and other means of control. You will almost never see a game without the Alliance forming though your more subtle attempts at victory will often see a very weak Alliance, which is best for you.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Daily infodump:

quote:

quote:

Will mods made when the modding tools are released be compatible with later versions or are you expecting major code changes that would invalidate them?

How's the bug fixing going? Have those last pesky few bugs been squashed or will we have to wait for the weekend to learn more?

We're actually doing our due diligence now to ensure that the current release of Mod Tools will be final to the point that they will remain compatible with future changes, this is part of the reason they've taken extra time.

Working through the bugs still, but they are minor in number at this point.

quote:

Will the Beta be available to play on Steam after it's out, or will it only be the download?

How easy would it be to make an Old One built entirely around forbidden knowledge? (Oh, Kos, or some say Kosm, do you hear our prayers?)

The Beta will not be on steam.

Very easy, ancient lore is a fundamental part of the game so it would be simple.

quote:

So you mentioned you could make the seal underwater but it would invalidate military victory for the heroes.

Is it possible to make a fully underwater civilization with its own underwater military? Tritons or Mermen or the like? I guess that'd still be bottlenecking as far as balance goes.

We do have modifiers that make races able to wage war underwater, we simply haven't created any yet (and don't really have plans to at this time) so the functionality exists but the content does not to create the "military victory under the sea" a likely event.

quote:

When the world figures out what you are, do they immediately know where your great seal is or do they need to do some sort of big quest or hard research to find out? Can some notables figure out where you are, but need to convince others that they're right or can even hide the information for some other purpose?
Is it possible to "hide" your presence when someone comes looking or even force someone to keep moving via orbs, if they don't actually know the great seal is in their current POI?

Your existence and the location of the seal are independent. They absolutely can either hide the information or struggle to convince others, and you can effectively "hide" if heroes come wandering around though the more adventurous and well prepared may plumb too far into the depths for you to fully conceal your presence.

quote:

Gods seem to have physical locations that exist in game space. How does this matter? It's been alluded to that destroying them physically might have the same effect as an assault on the seal. Can an army dig down into the deep underground and punch moloch to death? Can a wizard lead an expedition into the city of gold and unwake azlan?

Armies can go underground but it's a terrible, terrible, terrible idea - we introduced that ability into the game to create fringe scenarios where with sufficient dwarven or other underground allies it becomes feasible but I've only seen a march underground a couple of times and it never ends well for the alliance, the Old One simply has too many ways to up the dangers of the Underworld so even with the Chosen One learning to put the souls to rest it's going to cause massive attrition every turn. It is much more likely than an intrepid band of adventurers makes the journey to try and put you back to rest, and the same goes for the City of Gold. These are more "niche scenarios" that you need to be aware of as an Old One but they should not be your primary focus considering the massive advantage you have on home turf.

Design wise we made these decisions because we like alternative paths to victory (or defeat for you), even if they are rare, and they also go a long way to reinforce the theme.

quote:

and second, more spoilery part: Azlan lives in the dream city, Limos and Moloch are underground. Karth (and maybe sissyphus?) exist as units on the tactical map. Seraph probably has her own city or POI. Pieces of Inartha are scattered on mountains everywhere. That leaves just Belial who we have no information about how he exists within the gamespace.

Belial never emerges as a Unit on the map but WOE UNTO THEE who treads into his lair - even at a single orb he is powerful for a dessicated corpse of former grandeur. This is partially thematic to his "puppet master and lord of shadows" type approach but also once again shores up weaknesses in a new players first play, acting as a powerful deterrent to heroes poking around the Seal.

quote:

Belial doesn't seem to have any attributes that suggest he's a combatant like Karth, but also seems to have a lot of anthropomorphism which suggests that he would still exist as a unit. How would you ideally want Belial to play upon waking?

Belial favors opportunistic play when he awakens, his ability to invoke disasters and refocus them means you can create perfect moments to finish off weakened enemies.

quote:

Does this mean you mostly just interact with them through events? Can you ever send agents to the planes?

Think of them as "Planar Districts" like the challenge screen - you can send Agents there, perform challenges, and heroes can quest.

quote:

Do POI's have a tooltip or text box where there's some description of the location? What about individual regions?

So many tooltips.

quote:

Are there any "planar" circles that represent heaven and hell, and can there be multiple ones (9 circles of hell, for example)?

Not directly but the planes are vaguely inspired by world religions (mostly Greek/Roman) so you'll always find a concept close enough to what you're looking for.

quote:

Is it planned that religions, if powerful enough, can "create" their own planes for their own gods, with their variants on heaven and hell as well?

We don't plan to support dynamic planes.

quote:

What planes do the other Elder Gods reside in (besides Azlan, who's in the dream-lands), and can they create their own?

Only Azlan and Limos technically reside in a plane (the Underworld, while a physical location beneath the earth, merges with the planes) and Moloch, while his heart is in the Caverns of the Earth, does spread out into the Underworld.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
I'm so optimistic about this game, the KDG guys seem to have a solid set of heads on their collective shoulders. I can easily see this become my new time waster of choice. Can't wait for the beta.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

So does this mean that Sisyphus is a character who gets to walk around on the map laying waste to armies? Because if so I am so doing that.

On top of that it seems like the "build a satan" workshop may well be open. If it is what would everyone else think about designing?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Josef bugman posted:

So does this mean that Sisyphus is a character who gets to walk around on the map laying waste to armies? Because if so I am so doing that.

On top of that it seems like the "build a satan" workshop may well be open. If it is what would everyone else think about designing?

A god that could create misleading prophecies to inspire false chosen ones/alliances to fight the real ones could be neat. Not sure if that's doable or not.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Josef bugman posted:

How would Endless mode work in practice? Is there any info on that?

I mean do you start on a new map if you win? Or do you just start over in a really hosed up world that gets increasingly more eldritch and terrifying to live in every time you win?

It would be really neat if your wins and losses or history of each "round" played affected the world. So if you lost a bunch of times you'd have a bunch of really strong nations that went through a golden age. And eventually all the uncivilized races were brought to heel after so many losses. Or you could win and gently caress up the planet more and more over time. Imagine playing that eldritch god that returns things to nature/their primal roots and progressively turning the world into a tribalized kill or be killed hellhole over the course of eras. :unsmigghh:

There's some neat world sim stuff you could do with that idea depending on how it works. I'll have to pick it up if they include a feature like that.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 15, 2015

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The only god so far that is confirmed to turn into a unit upon waking up is Karth. It's not really been alluded to whether sissyphus will or not, but there's like, no other gods that have working legs.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

A god that could create misleading prophecies to inspire false chosen ones/alliances to fight the real ones could be neat. Not sure if that's doable or not.

I think that you already can do that. I know that one of the potential agents is a Chosen one that serves you.

Archonex posted:

It seems as if it is just like an ordinary game except that during the downtime you can tinker around a bit with the world (start up a deep one invasion for instance). But it really seems as if this is kind of what they are doing. Again I am somewhat skeptical about it all working together, but I am really interested to see how it pans out.

I am thinking about buying the beta when it comes around. I haven't looked forward to a game this much in years.

Do we know any more about Seraph has she/it been talked about at all in the dev logs?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Archonex posted:

The FAQ in the web page says that once you win in Endless mode your objective is to keep control of the populace that is revolting against you. If you are defeated you just wake up a thousand years later and have another go, if another God defeats you you start playing as it, etc.

I'm genuinely surprised at the amount of autonomy the NPCs/kingdoms seem to have. Having the inhabitants of the world do their own thing, starting wars, evolving and building relationships with each other, and having all of that influence the game is really cool.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

The FAQ in the web page says that once you win in Endless mode your objective is to keep control of the populace that is revolting against you. If you are defeated you just wake up a thousand years later and have another go, if another God defeats you you start playing as it, etc.

I wonder how that would work with Azlan with the whole merging the dream world with reality bit.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Josef bugman posted:

Do we know any more about Seraph has she/it been talked about at all in the dev logs?

They don't really talk about seraph, inatha, or belial much.

kdg posted:

To be honest my three favorite concepts never even made it into the game due to their either niche nature or the fact that the game moved away from their core MO. I really enjoy losing as Karth, there's just something about going down swinging as a monstrous Orc God that hits my sweet spot while nothing is as satisfying as winning through complex maneuvering as Azlan. My favorite core ability has to go to Belial, and my favorite Old One event is close but has to go to Seraph's Court Summons because I find Sisyphus a bit too preachy.

kdg posted:

We don't really draw a line between good/evil - the world is filled with people who have varying degrees of self-interest while you are something much greater and more terrifying. We have types that are similar to holy/unholy but it more represents the power of "life" vs "death". Seraph does not have divine powers but her approach towards the world is more in line with the kind of worship you would expect from a religion.

kdg posted:

Such knowledge is beneath the majesty of the Ancient Ones - if your agents want to cast a spell to siphon the souls from a city they'll probably need to piece together the research from a lost culture that specialized in that kind of magic. Seraph is currently the only Old One that can directly grant spells to her Agents.

Normal Adult Human fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 16, 2015

NoNotTheMindProbe
Aug 9, 2010
pony porn was here
This game looks interesting but I still don't really understand what the gameplay is. I'm guessing it's something like a mix of Crusader Kings 2 and Plague Inc.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

This game looks interesting but I still don't really understand what the gameplay is. I'm guessing it's something like a mix of Crusader Kings 2 and Plague Inc.

More with King of Dragon Pass thrown in.

Basically you start off with yourself (one of the old ones mentioned) and a prophet. To start with you have to build up your strength to do stuff in the surface world, to do that you send out your prophet and he starts building/recruiting at Points of Interest (or PoI's in the games terms). Each action takes some time and basically can give you more influence on the game world. The basic structure of the game is there, what do you need to know more about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoNotTheMindProbe
Aug 9, 2010
pony porn was here

Josef bugman posted:

More with King of Dragon Pass thrown in.

Basically you start off with yourself (one of the old ones mentioned) and a prophet. To start with you have to build up your strength to do stuff in the surface world, to do that you send out your prophet and he starts building/recruiting at Points of Interest (or PoI's in the games terms). Each action takes some time and basically can give you more influence on the game world. The basic structure of the game is there, what do you need to know more about?

What would your short to medium goals be with your agents. I understand everything builds towards the big fight at the end, but what are your agents trying to do and what are the mechanics behind that? I take it you can command armies but that is not the core of the game experience, so what else are you looking to do?

• Locked thread