Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Just found this thread and I am really tempted to pick this up as a beta once I have gotten some birthday money, anyone know which old one they are planning to play as? That and/or wether there are any plans for a "build a satan" mod option?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

The game seems to be going for preset Old Ones, and I don't recall any mention of a Build Your Own Satan™ option, though Sisyphus (the first dude I want to try out) seems to be closest in spirit to that, as you shape him and his abilities by interacting with the Chosen One, which I think is pretty cool.

Also, am I the only one getting Skyrim vibes from Inatha?

Hadn't even noticed that, but it is only a matter of time now before some mods in "Fus Ro Dah" every time you use a vocal power in game isn't it?

And that is a shame, I wanted to build a Sauron/Morgoth equivalent to stride around making up races and crushing people in real life. I'm planning on playing Sisyphus first too, I am waiting to hear what his abilities are like based on the past though first.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Oooh, see I do like the idea of playing as :smaug:, but the sentient war machine sounds fun.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Oh that sounds fantastic. I am really looking forward to playing Sisyphus solely to ruin this one guys life.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

I was looking forward to Sisyphus as soon as I'd heard of him, and now he's become all the more amazing :allears:

Agreed totally. I don't suppose any of the Beta people could tell us any more than what we may have seen already about Sisyphus?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

In the Endless mode there can be lots of Chosen ones. Must admit I am going to play my first game as Sisyphus but my first endless game is going to be Belial trying and endlessly screwing up trying to take over the world before finally triumphing.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pharnakes posted:

What's endless mode? Getting put back to sleep isn't game over, you just get progress reset to zero and start again? That sounds like it could be great, but very hard to balance properly.

I think that is the plan. I am planning on Belial like a slightly more competent Dr Claw.

Except that even if you "win" the game you can go back to sleep as the world suffers through an age of Darkness, then you wake up to find that a lot of things have gone badly wrong. I think that is it anyway, I couldn't find much written about it.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Normal Adult Human posted:

Endless mode is, yeah, a mode that doesn't end. If you kill the chosen one another one gets chosen eventually. If you're defeated you go into torpor for a few ages and start over. If a lesser evil destroys you you continue to play as that LE.

So its, to put it bluntly, the best way of playing.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Oh please it's not always turning powerful figures. Sometimes it is about making Coup d'etat of an entire nation and slaughtering the nobility. Or throwing a horde of Orcs under the bus to stop people realising you are behind all the violence.

Also just looked at the "make a civilization" youtube video and it looks like there ARE going to be Old Ones you can make.

Which is amazing.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

The chosen one sounds really cool, I am probably going to set up at least one scenario where I lose specifically to a Dwarven Chosen one, just for laughs.

Are the Elves really that over powered in the game?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

So does this mean that Sisyphus is a character who gets to walk around on the map laying waste to armies? Because if so I am so doing that.

On top of that it seems like the "build a satan" workshop may well be open. If it is what would everyone else think about designing?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

A god that could create misleading prophecies to inspire false chosen ones/alliances to fight the real ones could be neat. Not sure if that's doable or not.

I think that you already can do that. I know that one of the potential agents is a Chosen one that serves you.

Archonex posted:

How would Endless mode work in practice? Is there any info on that?

It seems as if it is just like an ordinary game except that during the downtime you can tinker around a bit with the world (start up a deep one invasion for instance). But it really seems as if this is kind of what they are doing. Again I am somewhat skeptical about it all working together, but I am really interested to see how it pans out.

I am thinking about buying the beta when it comes around. I haven't looked forward to a game this much in years.

Do we know any more about Seraph has she/it been talked about at all in the dev logs?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

This game looks interesting but I still don't really understand what the gameplay is. I'm guessing it's something like a mix of Crusader Kings 2 and Plague Inc.

More with King of Dragon Pass thrown in.

Basically you start off with yourself (one of the old ones mentioned) and a prophet. To start with you have to build up your strength to do stuff in the surface world, to do that you send out your prophet and he starts building/recruiting at Points of Interest (or PoI's in the games terms). Each action takes some time and basically can give you more influence on the game world. The basic structure of the game is there, what do you need to know more about?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

What would your short to medium goals be with your agents. I understand everything builds towards the big fight at the end, but what are your agents trying to do and what are the mechanics behind that? I take it you can command armies but that is not the core of the game experience, so what else are you looking to do?

Medium term? It will be manipulating behind the scenes stuff in the various AI countries, stopping heroes from mucking up your spells, recruiting more people and, dependent on Old One, trying to either kill off or corrupt the "chosen one".

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

extraordinary posted:

So yeah.
They are going over the game mechanics next announcement.
But bar them concurrently releasing the modding tools, going from what they say I am not expecting beta till the middle of may.

To quote star wars "do not want".

Ahh well, it was kind of on the cards, but I would love to have started playing this ASAP.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

extraordinary posted:

Yeah, I mean, I am happy they can completely overhaul the whole game but the wait is really annoying.

What are they overhauling?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

I suspect the main reason its taking so long is that they're not comfortable releasing the beta if its not almost release ready because there's no NDA, and games live or die on streaming content these days.

Sad but true. I am just going to have to wait then.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I think they mention in one of the videos how if you set off a surface sinker it can sometimes only drown the land around it.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Zoe posted:

holy poo poo I just found this thread and why can't this game be out already??

Pretty much how everyone around here feels. Plus there is a bit of cross over between this and the Kickstarter thread.

It appears that the Guildmaster may have had a teensy bit of an art upgrade:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Oh dear gods yes.

I am going to be turning places into paranoid courts filled with insane nobles and it is going to be fantastic.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

I asked about it on the beta forum because I felt the same about turn timers but apparently 10-20 turns is normal. Moving from one end of the map to the other can take many turns as you can only move one PoI per turn but no idea how many turns a game takes, my guess is around 500 turns.

I take it a turn is only like a day or so? Because wow

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Zoe posted:

This is killing me because there's no way I can justify paying double to get in on the beta.

And yet I need too.

Perhaps I can make some kind of deal with a dark god to get more money...

Justify it to yourself as it being about the same that lots of people paid for Pillars of Eternity.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Okay, so I am just wondering what you guys mean about "how does it play"?

To my mind what I assume happens is "Elder god wakes up, you send your minions out into the world, they arrive at a PoI and start corrupting stuff. Then sometimes you get random events and/or you start having to deal with heroes and other creatures."

It is not like we are dealing with a game that really requires great "gameplay" as it were, we are not going to be running and gunning as an ancient awakening evil after all.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 21, 2015

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

- Will you be able to do low level infiltration and corruption in the entire world, or do you have to pick and choose where to focus?
- Combat seems to be mostly skirmishing. That makes me wonder how reuniting the orc tribes and invading works. Do you corrupt the warlord and order him to attack, and forget about the whole business? Do you decide where and how to attack?
- Same regarding corrupting "good" kingdoms. Can you order a king to attack his neighbour, or are you limited to nudges rather than pushes? Can you end up deciding policy their kingdom, or do you have to wait until they are about to make a decision to influence it?

All Good points, will try and address from what I have seen of the game (bear in mind I do not have beta access yet)

1) I think you will need agents in various places to corrupt things directly, but you can probably alter things with spells and information gathering (such as Belials crow like minions)
2) Agreed. I assume we may see more soon but I do not know how it will play out. I get the feeling that with the Orcish horde you may end up just letting them loose and then it sort of "resolves" the battle ala. The auto options on Total war.
3) I think at the start, if you have the support of the influential, you can nudge. As you gain more power you can probably start the cackling madness.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

It is a bit of a shame, this game is probably going to be really rather good and the developers seem to be good people, but I get the feeling that this is the first thing they have ever worked on to this sort of degree, and so don't have the PR side of it down. Not even in terms of putting out bullshit statements but in terms of just relating to the people who want to buy the game.

Still I think they are going to do pretty well with this. It's something that looks good and they seem to know what they are doing on the technical aspects.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Geokinesis posted:

I think once they get it onto Steam it'll do amazing.

Mhm, the decision to put it on steam (and the whole platform itself) is a godsend to developers like this.

I sometimes worry about the monopoly that steam could represent. Yet they seem so good about it that there seems almost nothing to worry about.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Huzzah!

I am probably going to be getting birthday money soon as I am moving house and will not be able to buy physical things. Think I should go and get the Beta of this?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

ExiledTinkerer posted:

There's ample room at the big table with Dominions!

See Dominions always felt a little empty to me. The battles were so abstract that I wasn't all that intrested and going maximum over slave was never not an option for people.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

For the love of gently caress guys upload a goddamn video!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I'm so excited for this to turn out to be another mod video.

I don't care if it is at this point.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Which has had nothing happen on it for a month thus far.

I am seriously way too into this game at the moment. Does anyone know of any semi-decent KoDP like games out there? Or even stuff that is a bit older or crappier? Have god games fallen out of favour that much?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Reus is the last god game i played in several years that wasn't absolute trash. Unless you count crusader kings 2 which is obviously a Good Game.

Got both of those already. poo poo.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Mother loving why seems like the best question.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Gantolandon posted:

A cynic in me says they don't have anything resembling a working AI yet and modding is one of the few areas of the game which doesn't need it.

They don't need a working AI to make this game work. Look at the Total War series.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Just watched that, it sounds as if armies are seperate (but sort of attached to) Agent manipulation.

That sounds interesting.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I think it might be different "type" because you do not neccesarily need an agent, I think, but on top of that he mentions how Giants can be both units and minions, surely that means that the Army and the Minion/Agent thing is very different?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Still don't know how armies interact with agents/heroes. Do they just increase danger on a point of interest and spawn chaff during fights? Can they blockade a poi and prevent passage? nobody knows.

I assume that they are either a) Led by them or B) increase the opportunity for negative effects.

Personally I am excited about what I have seen now. Just wish it wasn't wrapped up in dull rear end mod talk.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I'm going to remain on the cautiously optimistic end of the spectrum. Not out of any in depth knowledge of how games like this usually fit together, but more based on how the developers are trying to be nice about it.

Plus it is not like we are dealing with things like the Star Citizen developers here.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 26, 2015

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

extraordinary posted:

I asked the same on the beta forums and paraphrased, they basically built the game completely new after the success of the kickstarter and are using the modding tools themselves to recreate it.
The map in the last few updates wasn't even one of the scenarios, it was quickly thrown together to test the impact of all the changes on the ai.

So they had finished a game and then decided to make the modding tools to make a new one? Jesus that sounds a bit complex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Jeez. Well I hope those of you in the beta get your backer stuff by the end of the weekend. That way at least you can start making races and other things in preperation,

• Locked thread