Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Deadmeat5150 posted:

This looks amazing and exactly like a game I've been dreaming about for years.

You've been dreaming about being a dark god, cruelly destroying the minds of the important figures in the world with your dark whispers? Might wanna get that checked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Not the god designs, but the artistic style, makes them look out of place. Photoshop them or redo them to make them look like oil paints or whatever the aesthetic is for the rest of the art. I would be real down for Dropped-Ice-Cream-Cone the god if he looked like humans were making really intense art pieces of him.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

I think the people saying this is basically vaporware must be not familiar with TRUE vaporware products. These guys have explicit design goals, a bunch of finished art, workable UI, the major mechanics are designed, a lot of specific ideas for individual pieces of content... True, there's still plenty of vague stuff, and the issue now is coding it all in, but all in all it compares well to a ton of products I've seen that have never materialized, which have only a couple pieces of lovely sample art, some vague plans for content, and an open call for people to please code their game.

Like, I'm not discounting the possibility that it'll be a crappy game, and I think it'll need a lot of massaging and testing and probably post-release patches. Procedural/simulatory games almost always do. But it looks to me to be on the path to being an Actual Thing.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Ooh, that's no good. I'm a big fan of both Dominions 4 AND CK2.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

you fool

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

I'd imagine that if you did nothing, not a ton would happen of relevance to you, at least for some gods. You're an eldritch horror, but you're literally doing nothing of importance, so you can't give away your presence.

I was under the impression that some of the gods wouldn't be able to do nothing, though; that their very presence would make, say the towers appear, or the undead stir, although I don't know how accurate this is.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Deadmeat5150 posted:

First mod will be a nude mod. Second mod will give you MLP agents. EBA agents

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

I'll probably be able to back, but only right near the end of the Kickstarter, when I get my gub'mint check. In the meantime, I'm telling friends about the project, because you definitely deserve to be thrown some cash on this. Do you have any specific plans for advertising/generally getting the word out? If you don't have an SA banner ad, I'd totally recommend shelling out for a couple.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Reaffirming that you want good art, at snappy logo at least, and good copy if you want stuff to go in Steam. Maybe also a personal advertising blitz, posting about your game on places where they don't view it as an affront to God, like TIGSource or Bay12.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Coolguye posted:

sentinels of the multiverse is a very fun co-op card game

and gently caress YOU if you want to play it in real life, the rules are a loving mess and i will let a computer keep track of it for me any day of the month

What? Like, Sentinels has literally two pages of rules. The rules are very simple, and any confusion caused by the complex rules can be cleared up with 5-10 clarifications/explanations, and then like twenty specific cards are a bit unclear, which is a very good ratio compared to basically every other card game out there.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

simmering posted:

My problem is I can't increase my stats until I get more aspect:advancement. except i have no idea what that is, how to gain it, or even how i tell how much i have.

Fat Samurai posted:

The Erudition, Glimmering and Endurance (?) cards have Aspect: advancement. Study or work with Hearth, Reason or Passion

For example, Working with Health gives a Vitality card with a three-minute timer, and Studying with two Vitality gives another permanent Health and a Skill (Well-Muscles or somesuch) you can use to Work with Health faster. You can get another Health by Studying with the Skill and four Vitality... but it takes 55 seconds to Work with Health (with your new Skill), so you can only get three during the three-minute timer on the Vitality cards. You'll need to get a fourth in that span of time in some other way. Exploring the town, Dreaming with Health (or sometimes with Reason), visiting the Wood...

And back on Sentinelschat, I actually find the in-person experience flows a lot better than the digital version. Sure, the cyberversion has the advantage of never messing up a rule or forgetting about something, but there's plenty of rules that are a lot more cumbersome. Twist The Ether is probably the biggest offender here, since it has to ask you every single time the person deals damage, but there's a lot of other things that are just awkward in the digital format but completely smooth in the physical format.

Dunno about the problem with keeping track of health, Coolguye, the game comes with a ton of damage counters. You add or remove tokens, it's literally the simplest method of keeping track of damage possible. (I THINK the game wants you to add tokens until you hit someone's HP value, but I prefer to add a big pile and take them away as they get hit; easier to feel like you're making progress that way, and the dwindling pile of HP tokens on your side makes things a but more tense. It's also not hard at all to 'remember' your three damage buffs or whatever, since even if you're the kind of person who has trouble with remembering that you're dealing +3 (which is actually a very rare event, bonuses to damage are hard to come by so +3 is going to come up maybe 5% of the time unless Legacy's around), the game again comes with descriptive cardboard tokens. Put 3 big rectangular +1 to damage tokens by your character card, and you're good.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Coolguye posted:

that you have to shuffle around literally dozens of times per round - multiple dozens if you are fighting someone who hits and heals a lot, like Plague Rat or Iron Legacy. and god forbid you have something like Forced Deployment or a lot of the Citizens of the Sun come out (either from Citizen Dawn's early draw or Return with the Dawn firing), you will be there multiple minutes just resolving a villain turn. i'll take holding the left mouse button in the fast forward key for 10 seconds any day of the week, thanks.

Flippant response: I've discovered the problem, you're incredibly, colossally slow at the game.

But I AM honestly confused as to how you think it's so slow. Like, it's quite rare for a villain turn to take more than a minute when me and my buddies play, unless things are getting really hairy and some discussion needs to be done. "Alright, he plays... okay, a Scion of Frost. poo poo, it's another healing one. That means we get rid of another Scion, I assume the healing one that was already on the board?" *sounds of general agreement* "Alright, and then the standard two damage to everybody, (*everyone chucks a couple of tokens into the pool*) aaaand that makes it Wraith's turn. Whatcha got?"

Or, let's say Forced Deployment came out: "poo poo. gently caress. That's not good. Alright, so that means, in order: Two damage to the lowest (*Bunker pushes a couple HP away from him*), two MORE damage to the lowest (*tokens*), one to everybody (*tokens), three damage to the highest and you can't deal damage next turn (*The Scholar shrugs and takes one damage because of his armor and pulls a YOU CAN'T DEAL DAMAGE marker to himself*), and one more to everybody. Uh, sorry, Bunker."

Bunker: "Ah, poo poo. Maybe I'll play one of the variants with actual HP next time."

Each step takes 3-5 seconds. Like, are you playing five-person games all by yourself, trying to keep everything in mind at once and looking at your collective hands all at once?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

simmering posted:

Thanks for your help, but my problem is I have the glimmering/vitality/erudition, my problem is I put 2 say erudition into study, but the start button is still grayed out, i think bc I require more aspect advancement? Maybe I've just advanced my stats as high as they can go.

Reading this thread has made me realise I needd to bounce off it a bit more tho, I haven't even discovered the expeditions mechanic yet.

Ah. You can only advance a stat once with two Advancements; after that, you need to Study with the Skill you gained, and more Advancements. Two Vitality makes an extra Health, and that's the last bonus Health you'll get with a mere two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

What are we going to use it for otherwise?

Discussing completely unrelated trivia re: Sentinels of the Multiverse, apparently.

Coolguye posted:

i mean i dunno how you come across your own example and not come away with "man this is gonna be a moment!" especially since you only came away with 4 dudes from a FD and that implies it fired on, like, Voss's second turn total due to his primary minion draw. FD alone will routinely deploy like 8-10 assholes if it comes out midway through murdering voss, and the best thing you can hope for at that point is something like Visionary's psychic maelstrom that will knock out 5 of the assholes before they can get a turn - which, in and of itself, will require more resolution and more shifting of chits to keep up with the ones that survived.

I mean, it was just a quick 'n dirty example. Sure, FD is likely to bring out more than four enemies, but I figured my point would remain clear. The bolded bit really stands out, though; it's the work of again, maybe three to five seconds to say "Alright, that's three damage to all enemies, which means only these two survived." "Don't forget that guy, he's got 1 DR. "Right, thanks, Josh." and then sweep most of the cards into the discard. You don't have to laboriously do every single calculation in most instances.

Coolguye posted:

this is compared to, firstly, any other card game, which will quickly dispense with the chit counting on 95% of everything and require a quick comparison to see if something died, rather than constant mental math or shifting of tokens around

I mean, you quite often just dispense with the chit counting anyway. With the villains, sure, you generally always have to take the one or two seconds it takes to touch a physical object with your real-life hands, but it's basically the same amount of effort it takes to click a couple times or watch the short animation of a health bar going down. I feel like the goalposts have shifted a bit here from "It's a pain in the rear end to track a bunch of different complex effects" to "It's a pain in the rear end to constantly remove health from things." I disagree with both, but they're pretty different arguments.

And, understand, I'm not knocking the digital version at all; it's great, I love to play it, and the automation does make some things less tedious . But it also makes some things MORE of a pain, and the things it helps with weren't that bad at all, to my way of thinking. I don't think anyone who plans to play the game with others should be pushed away from the physical version, because it's just not especially tedious. Definitely on the lower end of boardgames, in my moderate experience.

(The digital version also has really good music for the different environments, particularly for my favorite area. "The Enclaaaaaaaaaave of the Endleeeeeess. ... *heavy theremin*")

edit: Lol it's Enclave of the Endlings, can't believe I briefly misremembered the home of my self-destructive best pal Orbo

John Lee fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 4, 2018

• Locked thread