Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pandaid
Feb 9, 2004

RAWR
No tail = Manx gene, so it is a thing. The same gene can produce a range from a shorter than normal tail, a stub that's fused, or just a nubbin. It could be a spontaneous mutation which happens occasionally as it's a dominate gene. I am a little concerned that there's not even a nub, because sometimes the gene causes a spinal cord deformity when there's no tail at all. The complication doesn't cause noticeable problems until about 6 months old - mostly in the form of incontinence. Would be good to ask the vet about whether or not they can tell if there will be complications at this age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pandaid
Feb 9, 2004

RAWR

Elaieva posted:

Kittehs :D They'll be four weeks old tomorrow and they are awesomely cute. When I come into their room they run out and cry for me to open the cage and take them out :swoon: It's getting harder and harder to think about giving them up, but realistically I can't keep them with 5 of my own already including one with serious health issues which are getting worse :( As cute as they are, though, I know they'll find loving homes. And in good news (a) I had little bobtail guy checked by my vet and he has one vertebra worth of tail and good anal tone; she thinks he'll be fine, and (b) Momcat will be going to a farm just north of here as a barn cat; they only have one and need at least one more, they feed their cat once a day in addition to providing all the mice they can eat :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmbHCrb_B_s

does little bobtail have a ring of white surrounding his nub?! So glad it looks like he'll be ok. My Manx rescue cat says to him that you can still swish your tail even when you got none. Just give it a wiggle.

• Locked thread