Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

moana posted:

It's always good to have multiple streams of income, but if you're already stressed for time (and your partner is complaining) then I wouldn't be soo quick to jump on it.

Maybe do one contract and see how it goes? If I were in your shoes, I'd try to figure out a way to condense some of my day job work or cut down on hours, especially if you don't see yourself in that career forever and economics interests you more.

Pretty sound advice. I'm, uh, triple booked at the moment working like 70 hr/week easily.

I tried to set up two of the jobs (phd/academia and govt sector) to be pretty symbiotic which has worked out but not without some issues.

It's left me awfully codependent on friends for relaxing, so if I'm not working I'm seeing folks around town - which then leads to even more exhaustion. There's a few days where I'll take a rest and dick around after binge work. It's untenable in the long run, but I planned and prepared for it emotionally so I feel satisfied.

It's really based on what makes you happiest and most fulfilled. I personally love all the things I do and would be doing them for fun, otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread