Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I thought it was pretty well universally accepted that a particularly quick/brutal/traumatic death would kill a Time Lord before regeneration could happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Mortanis posted:

How is Dark Eyes 4? I picked it up right after it came out but haven't had a chance to listen. Normally I'm gung ho to listen but I wasn't as enamored with DE3 as I was with the first two. On that note, when are they switching back to a more serialized format for Doctor the Eighth?

For me, 4 was on par with 3. Not as awesome as 1 and 2, but still some solid 8th Doctor storytelling. Too much Liv and not enough Molly for my tastes.

And I think the bi-annual box set releases are to accommodate McGann's schedule, which is why they moved away from more regular releases for the 8th Doctor.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
My personal "head canon" for the doctor's room is that there was still something else in there, but with the crack on the back wall too.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
And the existence of the War Doctor doesn't preclude a bitter and jaded period of 8's life. The war had obviously been going on long enough for the doctor to

1) explicitly decide to have no part in it
2) encounter people who would literally rather die than have any kind of involvement with a time lord
3) make a decision in less than 4 minutes that if he's gonna regenerate, might as well be a warrior

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
SICK TO HIS STOMACH

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor posted:

Sorry for the all the Ghostbusters chat. I did that. I did that. That was my fault.

The next time someone asked you to stay on topic....you say yes.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Cleretic posted:

Thankfully, I seemed to dodge Watership Down. I was never a kid that would've appealed to anyway. My traumatizing childhood experience was the ruins of the Market in Ocarina of Time. I had a major fear of zombies at the time.

I had the same thing. Put me off playing the game as a kid.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Man, "Flatline" is really good. Also, I really want that "Don't Stop Me Now" cover from "Mummy on the Orient Express."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-OTYT02W7E

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I am a bit worried about River showing up, as her character seemed to get less interesting and more MacGuffin-y in every apperance, but the concept itself is sound and I've very excited in general.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Angela Christine posted:

Part of the problem with River was her (slightly creepy) relationship with the Doctor. Deception wrapped in smugness, all bound up with guilt and obligation. By herself she isn't a companion at all, she's the doctor. "Professor Song: Time Travelling Archaeologist" can pretty much take the Doctor's place in most stories.

Yeah; I really liked her in her first appearance, where she basically was acting as an equal to the Doctor...but he had no idea who she was. She just got more smug and more puzzle box-y with each appearance.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Sadly just a mini-series, like their 9th Doctor run.

Hopefully we get a War Doctor mini series out of them at some point too though!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Forktoss posted:

How was this, by the way? It seemed pretty cool, but I haven't heard anything about it since it came out.

It was alright; it's set in that same brief window when the TARDIS crew is 9, Rose, and Jack; which is starting to feel a little crowded (I know Doctor Who doesn't emphasize continuity like, say, the Star Wars universe, but I've just noticed that a LOT of 9 media gets set right there before Boom Town.) The art isn't the best in the world, but everyone is recognizable, and I enjoyed reading it. And there's 1 or 2 more issues left I believe. (I got behind on reading and was binge reading through a bunch of stuff; I've lost track of issue numbers entirely)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

MikeJF posted:

To be fair, that gap between Doctor Dances and Boom Town where Jack was with them was the vast majority of 9's life.

Unless you buy the theory that he went off and had dozens of solo adventures during the end sequence of Rose haha

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The whole message of "meds for mental issues are bad" really soured me on Doctor Who as a whole for a while...I mean, did NOBODY who had script input on that episode realize what a lovely and potentially dangerous message that is to send? Didn't Capaldi or Coleman get to that point in a table read and go "What the gently caress?"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

I hated that episode so thoroughly I never gave it much thought, and I feel you're right (for the very most part) that people should be on their prescribed meds. But I think what the episode was trying to say was some children are prescribed certain medication because it helps them fit into the gears of society, and not because it's what best for them or well suited to their particular situation. They failed in communicating that however and it came across as a general "Don't trust pills kids!".

Yeah, it would not have been hard to send the message of "Well, yes, human doctors do know what they're talking about and medications can help with a great many things, but in this one particular instance its actually aliens", but if I remember it correctly, the Doctor literally has a line to the effect of "Oh someone starts hearing voices and the first thing you think of is medicine!?"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

thrawn527 posted:

Series 9 trailer is up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0csVdLbDMO4

I guess they didn't mean 7PM for me (East Coast of America).

Maybe its just me, but I got a really strong Myst-franchise vibe off of parts of that trailer. Surreal, yet grounded.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

vegetables posted:

I know you're all huge fans of Big Finish here in this thread, but oy, that doesn't sound good at all.

It's certainly better than "whoops I fell down and now I'm McCoy."

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor posted:

Doctor Who: Your mentally ill kids don't need medication.

Ugh. I still can't believe that was allowed to air...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
To be fair; that episode on the whole wasn't terrible. But I'm just completely baffled that the BBC allowed a family program to air an incredibly damaging message like "nope, mental illnesses don't need treatment, it just means you're a special snowflake and shouldn't take your meds".

I'm shocked and thankful that nothing really seemed to come of it

• Locked thread