Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Bicyclops posted:

City of Death has John Cleese and Julian Glover in it, it is written by Douglas Adams, and it contains some of Four's best lines, including "Well, you're a beautiful woman, probably," and "What a wonderful butler! He's so violent!" The "Does anyone care about history anymore?" shout is used in basically every montage that contains Four.

I really love City of Death.

It's pretty amazing. I still need to buy it. I have about half of Four's run; pretty odd I don't already have it.

It's a tragedy Adams didn't live long enough to write for the current show. Of course, he'd probably just now be finishing a script for a Nine episode. That'd be what brought Eccleston back. Maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Finally watching series 8, and boy was "Deep Breath" very bad.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

The second half is good.

I liked Capaldi but nothing else really worked for me.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

"Into the Dalek" is okay. Predictable, but fun. Seems like a sequel to "Dalek" from season one.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Survival is one of the dumbest serials I've ever watched. I saw it alone in my house and still felt embarrassed.

I like it.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Continuing with series eight, and I have to ask: How did they manage to clone Anthony Ainley for "Robots of Sherwood?"

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

So the Doctor performed some Venusian Aikido and there's an Ainley-clone. This is dumb fun.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

On the other hand, I love the UNIT "family" feel that develops with the Doctor being stuck in one time/place for any length of time, and it allows for some neat stuff with the Doctor grumpily experimenting on the console trying to work around the gaps in his memory the Time Lords shoved into place. It also makes for a pretty neat longer term (though probably unintentional) thing where the Doctor spends every moment he's "stuck" on Earth trying to escape, and the very second he's able to once again travel in time and space and go anywhere/anywhen in the universe, he CHOOSES to return to that time/place to hang out some more with his UNIT buddies :3:

Yeah, the Pertwee era is a fun run to me. James Bond with time travel. I kind of hope they'll do a season sooner or later where he's trapped on Earth for at least six episodes. That could be fun.

Edit: It could be terrible too, let's not lie here.

egon_beeblebrox fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Apr 9, 2015

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Davros1 posted:

BF has done four Gareth Roberts' adaptations, and we haven't heard a peep from Roberts.

They gave away to subscribers an extended bonus features download because RTD wouldn't shut up.

God bless RTD.

I don't like much of his writing, but RTD seems like the nicest dude.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Seven and Columbo teaming up would have been pretty awesome. If only for Seven failing to make Columbo a piece of his puzzle. Then Columbo could unravel the mysteries of time travel and go home to his wife and eat chilli, no worries in his mind.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

I checked it "The Vault" from my library and am enjoying it a lot. I knew most of the trivia in it, but the layout and pictures are very nice.

Also, my five year old nephew was just shown "The Eleventh Hour" and loved it. So that makes me happy.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

I wonder how well it syncs with Dark Side of the Moon.

At this point, I wonder what doesn't sync with Dark Side of the Moon.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

My wife had no idea who John Hurt was til the 50th, and loved The War Doctor so much, she has gone out of her way to watch a lot of his filmography. I have no problem with this.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

I'll buy it, in hopes that it leads to a McGann/Barrowman team up at some point.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

CobiWann posted:

All I want is John Hurt to do a few Time War stories for BF.

I wonder how Big Finish would handle the Nightmare Child and The Could-Have-Been King with his army of Meanwhiles and Never-Weres.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

Haven't you listened to The Holy Terror?

Ah, so bad vocal effects in an otherwise fantastic story, then. I'm down.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

I liked Clara's student in Kill the Moon. Otherwise, it was a nothing of an episode for me.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

whatsabattle posted:

The all time worst Buffy related accent (besides Drusilla. And Kendra.) was Glenn Quinn's fake American accent on Roseanne.

Not a fake accent, but Sarah Michelle Gellar' s way of pronouncing "Okay" in the later seasons drove me up the wall. It's been a while since I watched it, but I seem to remember that. So maybe I'm imagining it.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Man, "Flatline" is really good. Also, I really want that "Don't Stop Me Now" cover from "Mummy on the Orient Express."

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Ha! Awesome. Thanks

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

I kind of want a 6/River story where it's nothing but them trying to out-smug each other. Done right, it'd probably be funny.

I give it a year before we have a full-on 10th Doctor story, Tennant and all. Hopefully with Donna as his companion.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

CobiWann posted:

And now my watch has begun...

...with Robot.

Robot is fun. Not great, but I like it. Tom's first season is one of my favorites.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

I'm watching Shakedown and holy hell it is bad. I checked out the novelization not knowing it was based on something, and boy do I hope it works well on paper.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Let's get a pic of Capaldi and William Russell somewhere. That'd be great.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

We need a multi-Master story now that we have several living ones. Hell, break the budget and get Eric Roberts back. That'd be.... something...

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Diabolik900 posted:

All Masters involved must simultaneously betray each other.

Missy kills the Simms Master and he regenerates into her.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

I enjoy the Potato Butler. Too bad about the other two.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Yeah, "Master" is mostly great, but boy does it fly apart at the end. Til the dumb twist, it was pretty much my favorite 7th Doctor story.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

That TARDIS console room replica owns

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

The Lego games are basically the only video games I play, so now they really have me in their clutches.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

I hope he recorded dialogue as The Daleks screaming at Scooby Doo.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Watching "The Twin Dilemma" for the first time. The drop in quality between Androzani and it is INCREDIBLE. And I've only just gotten to the infamous choke-out. How did this happen and why?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Android Blues posted:

Time and the Rani is silly, stupid nonsense, but it's funny pantomime-esque nonsense and it doesn't involve the Doctor choking his companion, so I'd vote for it in that horse race.

Seconded. Time and the Rani is just dumb. This is offensive.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Jsor posted:

Susan, the Master, and the Corsair are really the Rani you say?

Moffat's done it again!

Finished Twin Dilemma, and it is truly a baffling story. Easily the worst Who story I've encountered.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Circular Time is probably my favorite 5 story. Not the best, but my favorite. Great story.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Logical1234 posted:

First time I'm really entering this Doctor Who thread. First things I got to ask.
I'm just starting out Series 8, and I'm kinda digging. Peter Capaldi is freaking awesome. Can you guys recommend me any other classic Doctor stories where one the classic Doc's that act similar to this one? I like cranky Doctor.

"Vengeance on Varos."

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

cargohills posted:

Talking about cranky Doctors and nobody has mentioned the king of cranky Doctors himself, William Hartnell? Shame on you. My personal favourite Hartnell serials are the Time Meddler and the first episode of An Unearthly Child.

Time Meddler owns so hard. The Aztecs, too. Til she saw those two, my wife didn't like any pre-Tom Baker serials.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

I'm positive they just put that giant clam into the story because they realized if they didn't have something awful then they'd have made a perfect story and it would all be downhill from there.

The clam is part of what makes it the best story. Doctor Who needs ridiculous cheap props or monsters to truly be Doctor Who.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Oh snap. That's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Rochallor posted:

Logopolis also has one of the, if not the best, soundtracks of the series. It's this wonderful, bizarre little fairy tale and it's a great note for Baker to go out on. The whole season, really, is just of exceptional quality.

JNT's Tom Baker season is his best to me. I don't like much of Five's run, Six is a trainwreck, and about half of Seven's run does nothing for me. All good Doctors, just a bunch of dull and/or bad stuff surrounding them sometimes.

• Locked thread