Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think The Eleventh Hour stands on its own best. Rose is so awfully dated by now, and was never a spectacular episode to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

Regional accents are almost always a class issue, aren't they? I sort of self-trained out of having my Boston accent and when I'm with my parents, it turns back on, but if I try to consciously turn it on in front of people who didn't grow up with it, I always feel embarrassed and ignorant, like I'm making fun of my own intelligence. I get irrationally upset when people try to claim that nobody uses the lexicon anymore, too, because it feels like my family is invisible sometimes.

I don't know that I agree with Eccleston that it's gotten worse recently, but it certainly hasn't gotten much better.

Yeah, regional accents in the UK are especially loaded with class and intelligence connotations. I read one linguistic study that featured several groups of college students receiving the same lecture from the same teacher: for some groups he'd use his natural Mancunian accent, and for others he'd speak in Received Pronunciation. The groups that received the lecture in Mancunian consistently rated the teacher as less intelligent, less informative and less able at his profession than those that heard the same man give the same lecture in RP. It wasn't so long ago, a matter of a few decades, that you literally weren't allowed to be a correspondent on a BBC news program unless you spoke in RP.

What Eccleston's referring to in regards to it having gotten worse, at least in part, is the fact buzzing around in the UK media lately that so many up-and-coming actors are the product of an elite public school education and buckets of money. The upper crust has always been a disproportionate part of the flock in acting, but the inequality in that area is growing: Cumberbatch, Redmayne, even the lovable ones like Sophie Turner and Alfie Allen. Many of them have parents who are or were in the business, and almost all of them have had a huge familial pocketbook making sure they get the best opportunities from birth. Like he says in the interview, it's not their fault personally, but it's indicative of a worrying trend.

Compare that to actors like Eccleston who come from a working class background and don't have a smooth, acceptable London accent, and it's easy to see why some people are worried or annoyed. The field of opportunity in acting for people who don't have every privilege is narrowing.

e: I self-trained out of using my own Scottish accent at the age of sixteen, so haha, I know where you're coming from on this. It's rough out there!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, the "public" in the phrase "public school" refers to the fact that they're owned by members of the public as a business enterprise, rather than operating as an arm of the state.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I actually think Curse of Fenric is kind of awful. The whole thing with Ace and the Russian soldier falling in love in the most ham-handed way possible is almost unbelievable in how badly it plays on the screen.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

You'd be surprised. I thought that too but they really are right. It's astonishing how bad Torchwood is, to the point where it's difficult even to enjoy ironically because it's just that drearily, determinedly sub-par.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, and it's even more layered on by the fact that initially the girl he drugs is disgusted by him and tells him to basically clear out, then when her boyfriend spots him going home with her and is like, "hey, leave her alone you creep,", he drugs him too. They both make it abundantly clear how much they dislike and mistrust him before he busts out the alien date rape spritzer on them.

Basically whoever wrote that scene had a tin ear for tone and an inept social conscience. That's my take.

e: also the whole thing has a distinct tone of "the populars are unfair and mean to this conventionally unattractive guy who just wants love, but it's okay because he makes them long for sex with the power of his massive science brain!". Very terrible.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, but it's more like "we were having fun with all this alien tech, when we're supposed to be responsible!" than "Owen, you are a serial rapist".

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

The first episode of Torchwood was all Russell T. Davies' own work. Rusty wrote that scene.

I stand by my statement and find it consistent with some of his work on Doctor Who.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

My main problem with Forest of the Night is Clara's "better for everyone to die, than some people to live" speech. It feels weirdly jarring and not like anything anyone reasonable would ever think, kind of like it's just shoehorned in to talk about the Doctor's situation as the last of his race.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Sure, but she doesn't even ask them, just, welp, let's pack these children off to die.

In fairness it's not a good, smart or fair thing to ask a child "would you rather just your parents and everyone you know died, or all that AND you die too?", but I feel like in a given situation where the question is, "should I allow a child to die?" you should usually err on the side of "do not allow child to die".

e: also it's Doctor Who so "minimum viable population" probably wouldn't be a thing. The universe isn't that gritty and various technobabbly ways of getting around that problem are all over!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

If Clara and the Doctor hadn't been there the people of Earth would have blown up the moon instead of letting the space dragon hatch. That's a pretty big difference, actually!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Burkion posted:

Donna and the Doctor actually did a fair amount in that episode. Sigma was mostly the one doing stuff behind the scenes, but they were vital to things working out.

In both Forest and Moon, our heroes didn't need to be there. They didn't need to do anything- and more importantly they DIDN'T do anything.

It wouldn't bother me so much if it wasn't for the fact that these two episodes followed each other so closely. That's a really poor writing choice unless the episode you have is really goddamn amazing.

And neither were. Even if you liked Moon, no one is going to stand up for it being one of The Definitive Doctor Who episodes ever.

Android Blues posted:

If Clara and the Doctor hadn't been there the people of Earth would have blown up the moon instead of letting the space dragon hatch. That's a pretty big difference, actually!

???

Even in Forest of the Night the Doctor & co. broadcast a message telling people not to use herbicide on the trees, which would have wound up with the destruction of human civilization if they hadn't done it, so I think your memory of these episodes is foggy.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Wait, so your issue is not "Clara and the Doctor didn't affect the plot", it's "they affected the plot in a way I recognised but found implausible and so chose to ignore, then complain about the alternate version of the episode I thought up"?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I mean, Forest of the Night isn't good. I just don't think this is a very coherent way of criticising it.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I mean, she wouldn't have been there and astronaut lady would have blown up the moon, presumably.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Hot Fuzz is better than Ghostbusters, and what's more: Ghostbusters II is better than Ghostbusters!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Ghostbusters is a great movie but the jokes are actually a little thin on the ground and the characters and plot hang together loosely in places (Winston especially is underwritten). It really barely compares to something as tight and compelling as Hot Fuzz. I-m-o!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Like, not only is Hot Fuzz a hilarious comedy, it's also a genuinely compelling murder mystery, a horror, a police action flick. It somehow blends all these genres seamlessly without ever doing less service to any one of them, a feat it has in common with Shaun of the Dead.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

River audios sound cool. I'd rather they just went ahead and had her meet the classic Doctors, though, that sounds like it would be funny and fun. They might have to do a little continuity wangling to manage it but it's Doctor Who, that kind of thing happens all the time.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

They'd use the Silence, but nobody remembers them.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Time and the Rani is silly, stupid nonsense, but it's funny pantomime-esque nonsense and it doesn't involve the Doctor choking his companion, so I'd vote for it in that horse race.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

That trailer is killer. The opening monologue by Capaldi sounds like it has the potential to be one of Twelve's great speeches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

That Missy is the Rani fakeout was just to blindside us for when it turns out that Maisie Williams really is the Rani.

• Locked thread