Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Doctor Who sucks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

hey i have a Legit Question for you guys, it's important research for a DW thing I'm writing and my normal guy i ask these questions to is offline and will be for at least an hour or so

1) what episode was it where the doctor was introduced choking out a Companion

2) what version of that doctor was it

3) how, in general, was that doctor viewed on the whole of his run, he was adored right, despite being introduced choking out a companion

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

yeah i meant by the audience, i just assumed everyone liked Six because i kept on eharing a bunch about him, but ok

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

are there any audio stories starring rory

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Then what. Is the point of them.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

the audio guys had one fuckin' job and they hosed that up

smdh

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

is kate stewart rory? NO. get that fuckin not-rory horseshit out of here thexerox123

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

if rory is ever featured in an audio i will listen to and review that day fuckin one :toxx:

rory williams accept no substitutes

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

well it's more like

don't introduce a new fan via series one

i firmly blame oxx for that

he fuckin' had seen series five and insisted i go through Nine first, then got angry with me every time I'd poo poo all over the show when he'd argue the show's quality

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

docbeard posted:

I think the first season did a number of things right in reviving the show.

yea, it gave steven moffat his first DW writing gig! :buddy:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

did you doublepost the wrong post in the same thread

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Bicyclops posted:

You should join us all here, in this thread, once you are caught up, and continue posting reviews (Jeru and Cobi also post reviews during the season as episodes air).

eh, i'll keep doing it but part of the personal appeal of the project is watching it with Oxx, who's already seen every episode as they air before we start, and a lot of the general appeal is in reviewing the episodes removed from context so the people reading the thread can see how i react to an episode away from whatever consensus opinion there is, plus the thread gets the various schadenfreude/superiority feeling when i either watch pure poo poo and hate it or get something totally wrong

i think the no-spoilers policy, which was initially just to keep my reactions fresh and removed from influence, has grown to be a big part of their appeal and part of what makes them interesting in the first place

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

https://vine.co/v/eJuAqVHgXKd

great, now magneto and the master are gonna destroy the universe :rolleyes:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Fil5000 posted:

Which doctor has the worst do you think?

let me give you a hint: it's eccleston

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

wait let me fix it for you guys

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Jerusalem posted:

Edit Edit: Though apparently I just read it's not going to be available on PC? Even though there's a world based on the Portal games? :stare:

lego dimensions is a toys to life game, so putting it on steam defeats the point of how it's sold since within, like, a day, there would be a mod or something to make it so all the characters are available regardless of what you physically own

also defeats the point of who it's being sold to (children)

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

PriorMarcus posted:

Could someone animate this into a AV for me?

here's my best crack at it, three versions with steadily increased delay between frames

the reason it's tiny is because you're asking for a thirteen-frame gif which even when it's just a collection of stills means that it'll be over 100 kb unless i either made it look ugly as poo poo with decreased palette or if i just made it smaller, so it's 99x99 over 150x150

I do requests, btw, if anyone wants an av of a moment from an ep of who or somethin

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

For ref priormarcus if you want a full 150x150, sub 100kb gif it's gonna need to be at most 6 frames (my current av is exactly 6 frames and is 91 kb)

Now that's usually very easy, just drop either every even frame or, drop every odd frame plus one (the first frame is frame "zero") which creates an uglier, rougher gif but one that still communicates the action

But you can't do that because a shot of a different doctor is in every frame

So, in other words, you need to figure out if you want to cut doctors one, three, five, seven, war, ten, and one other or doctors twelve, two, four, six, eight, nine, and eleven

Or pick your seven least favorite, since I can just delete random frames trivially easily

But yeah if you want a 150x150 gif you're looking at a six frame one, so, yeah

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

i saw some doctor who

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

"I intend to adumbrate two typical instances from separate epistopic interfaces of the spectrum.", I don't know if it was Holmes or Saward who wrote this line but it has to be one of the worst in the programme

reasonable claim, counterpoint:

The Doctor: "There's no such thing as an arboreal coincidence."

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Cleretic posted:

I dunno, I hate that episode for good reason, but at least that line says something in kind of a fun way. It's not aimless nonsense, or anyone trying to sound much smarter than they are.

it's soemthing an excessively whimsical fucker like eleven would say irt trees appearing out of nowhere, the more realist, cynical twelve would never put the unnecessary "Arboreal", also again it's self-consciously whimsical and whacky which makes it even more insufferable to hear on the screen

the only way the line works is if eleven says it with his traditional earnestness and glee that defines him, when twelve aka Miserable rear end in a top hat says it it makes him look like a dumb motherfucker

it's perhaps the worst possible example in an episode full of worst possible examples how the writer for in the forest of the night had no loving clue what the characters he was writing were like

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

considering how essential danny is to the, ahem, "plot" i doubt it

ed: i mean, i guess it's possible but clara's not even a teacher in series 7

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

my theorycraft for How To Fix kill the moon, btw, is instead of having Vaguely Sexist Cold Bitch as the "antagonist" for the episode, you force Danny along for his one adventure which he quits at the end for recommending killing the space dragon into the "villain" role

like, it fixes so much about series 8 and danny's arc within it

if, like, right after or at the end of caretaker danny gets goaded against his will into being Mickey/Rory 2.0 (travel with his girlfriend aboard the TARDIS as the Companion's main squeeze), then he experiences the events of kill the moon - in which he recommends killing the unborn dragon out of an overt sense of pragmatism, also where you relate his whole "I was a soldier and forced to do not nice things", and maybe bring up his whole "I killed a kid" plot point then the counter moralistic option lands

it's danny arguing the point - validly - that the greater good is really important while reinforcing the PTSD angle, and then at the end of the episode you have him quit the TARDIS in a sense of self-disgust over the horror of his actions, and set up how the overwhelming guilt of potentially killing another child - this time, worst of all, knowingly so - excuses his choice in the season finale to not come back when he could, because now it's a payoff and redemptive to an action we see him take onscreen earlier in the season

plus, it makes clara's demonization of the doctor at the end of kill the moon land even harder - could even provide the implication that the doctor did all this to split up danny and clara or to "prove" to clara how awful soldiers are by messing with the love of her life overtly, while giving her real stakes in the episode at large - The Doctor's action in kill the moon turns almost monstrous, triggering a vet's PTSD in the service of proving a hosed up point

i dunno, i think having danny aboard kill the moon turns it into one of the strongest of the season while setting up the dumber aspects of death in heaven, namely danny's whole "arc"

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

i just wanted danny to be good guys

i just wanted danny to be good

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

man imagine a series 9 starring a clara learning that she's pregnant with danny's child man oh man oh man

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

docbeard posted:

This child will somehow also be River Song.

on board. instantly.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

No that's Rory Williams

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Occupation smashes the backboard! Occupation is on fire!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

why is the doctor surrounded by hella weed

• Locked thread