Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

whatsabattle posted:

The internet tells me that Alex Kingston and John Barrowman are already part of that universe.

Cannot loving wait for David Bradley as I dunno, Alan Scott or something.

Kingston's most recent appearance was great. She got to listen to the heroine's (her character's daughter) "I will get VENGEANCE for my dead loved one!" speech and instead of going "They wouldn't want that!" got to basically say :black101: "FUCKIN' MURDER 'EM SWEETIE!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

For god's sake, man, put your clothes on!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, he doesn't say Mary, Samson, Gemma or Liv either.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Davros1 posted:

Robophobia. Seriously, everyone should listen to Robophobia.

I should probably get it. I like McCoy, I like Robots Of Death well enough, and I like Liv

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm fairly sure they're holding back the rest of the episodes until 2016 because they don't know who from the cast they can get except Barrowman. Hell, that means they may not even know WHEN the audios will be set.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jack! El Roboto del Diablo has returned!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CobiWann posted:

My wife has expressed interest in the Torchwood audios.

Which means I will have to review them.

gently caress.

gently caress!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!

The Tenth Doctor's cliffhangers would've been a lot different if that was what he yelled.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

After The War posted:

Those boobs are an American rite of teenage passage. :sonia: :patriot:

Not just American. I got them in 4th year English here in the UK too.

(For the 'read the play aloud' stuff we didn't do that for Shakespeare. We did it for Tennessee Williams instead. Me, the girl who 'played' Blanche and the girl from Glass Menagerie and the one dude in our class who was super-into theatre were the only ones who tried the accents)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Are the Nick Briggs Sherlock Holmes audios any good?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I would, but I like Benny more than most.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Davros1 posted:

Which isn't saying much. Benny is like the most Mary Sue-ist character ever created.

After the Doctor, you mean?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

yeah i meant by the audience, i just assumed everyone liked Six because i kept on eharing a bunch about him, but ok

There's never been a bad ACTOR to play the Doctor, but there's been a poo poo-ton of bad writers to write him. And they all worked during Six's run. And also Bob Holmes wrote some episodes as well.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

whatsabattle posted:

Bada-boom, realest hermaphroditic hexapod in the room.

It's a certified G(reen alien) and a bona fide stud. Jury's out on if it's 7 foot tall.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

Novels are usually better than the films that they're based on for me, but actually some of the few exceptions are with Roald Dahl.

If you asked me about which Chocolate Factory I thought was better, the original Gene Wilder movie or the novel, I'd actually have difficulty trying to answer. The book has a lot of really cool stuff that isn't in the movie, but the film just feels more focused and has more heart.

Similarly, I probably like Matilda better as a book, but the actors in the film were so genuine about the whole thing, and the ending of the movie feels like a better fit for me than the novel's, which is kind of about how being respected and treated like an adult has its pitfalls and stresses, and just feels a little sad.

Matilda's probably the best performance Mara Wilson gave during that time, and she's super-complimentary about Danny DeVito even now.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

Did anyone ever see the episode of Highlander where Anthony Head plays an American diplomat in France, and uses an American accent for the whole episode? It was pretty :stare: to hear, exactly like Alexis Denisof or (to a lesser extent) David Anders using their own natural accents.

Denisof also did a Highlander, with his natural accent (which is odd, considering he was in one of the Paris episode, and so must've been when he lived over here) as a rich dude's junkie son who was friends with MacLeod. But yeah, Tony Head is p. bad at American.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

whatsabattle posted:

The all time worst Buffy related accent (besides Drusilla. And Kendra.) was Glenn Quinn's fake American accent on Roseanne.

Which made all the complaints about his 'terrible' Irish accent on Angle hilarious. I'm not sure anyone in America has ever heard an Irish person, let alone met one.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rochallor posted:

The Curse of Davros isn't a classic but it's a good deal of fun. It's a good romp, and for a good portion of the story the Doctor and Davros swap brains. (Not really a spoiler, it's one of the biggest parts of the story.)

Spoiler is also exceedingly obvious in the first episode, which makes the build to the 'reveal' really anti-climactic.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CobiWann posted:

Ok, ok, WE GET IT. Modern Brits do NOT LIKE THATCHER.

NOT UNTIL SHE APOLOGISES.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

Bad news...well, not exactly bad news...

Please. As if she'd accept a half-hearted excuse like death.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
...Why do they do this in the third week of the month every time? Who the gently caress has money a week before payday?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The BF site broken for anyone else?

My audios! :ohdear:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
...Yeah, it's pretty common now for the question "Where should I start with Who?" to be answered with "Eleventh Hour".

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I assume that's why we're not going to see a River/7 story any time soon. There's already a line of him and Benny, and River's just kinda redundant there.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's a corner they're forced into, though. If you're told 'you can have the monsters from the new show, but not the Doctor/companions, then you HAVE to use the Angels, considering they're the only mainstay the new series has created.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

That one also features Jason killing them, shoving their bodies into sleeping bags and then whacking the sleeping bag against a tree trunk multiple times - it's a glorious mess of a movie.
This is also his Mortal Kombat fatality.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Barry Foster posted:

Perhaps it's just because he's already familiar as the Doctor, but Sly kills it in that audition and the other two are complete crap. I mean, I know that was the point, but still, the disparity is pretty remarkable.

JNT and Sylv and the rest are pretty much spot-on about the problem. If there's one constant with the Doctor, it's animation. There hasn't really been a Doctor that's utterly laid back. Even Tom at his spaciest was very energetically spacey.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Barry Foster posted:

Peter Davison (He Who May Be Kissed) was pretty laidback. You definitely get the impression he'd rather just have a nice quiet time playing cricket or looking at cool space stuff, rather than having to deal with adventuring and a TARDIS full of kids

I disagree, Peter's enduring image in my head is the jacket whipping around and him breathlessly giving an encouraging speech.

The_Doctor posted:

Capaldi isn't super energetic, but he is like a terrier. Not a lot of movement in body, but the spirit is strong and frenetic.

I don't even mean necessarily that the Doctor dashes about, just that those other actors are delivering the lines very languidly. Capaldi would be angry on the 'smoke' line, Tom would be giggling, Matt or Pat would likely spin around until they were dizzy, or at least till the baddie thought they were.

EDIT: Also, late to the party, but I saw T5: Too Many Tyrmen8ors today. And yep, Matt's character is barely in it, but is super-important considering he plays Skynet itself, his accent is all over the place, though. I think he went Scottish for a line at one point. I appreciated that while they obviously used time-travel to render the TV show impossible, they threw in a couple of nods to it, it seemed. And Emilia Clarke was very much trying to channel Linda Hamilton in a few scenes, but that did kind of draw attention to the fact that she has a more normal starlet physique, compared to how ripped Hamilton got for T2. Which shouldn't matter, as they don't give her much in the way of hand-to-hand stuff compared to Hamilton, but then why try and evoke her? JK Simmons and Arnie are probably the best things in it. Well, and the T-1000

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 3, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

Ten minutes of Derek Jacobi simply scowling and yelling at the inadequacy of everyone, shortly before Missy rolls her eyes and erases his memory, sealing it in a fob watch.

I'm actually listening to Jacobi play the Doctor's antecedent right now. Amazon/Audible got him to do the audio versions of most of the Conan Doyle Sherlock Holmes stories, and he's wonderful. His Watson is dignified but amazed-sounding, Holmes drips with sarcasm whenever the police are around. You'd swear there was a full cast involved, bar when any women are around.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Burkion posted:

So because this became a thing I could safely recommend, I am going to!

A note ahead of time, this is region locked to America, but if you can get past Region Locks, as I am aware that is a thing that can be done, that won't matter too much.

So Shout Factory has recently started a streaming service of the various properties they have the rights to, including loads of interesting movies and classic TV shows, and one god awful K9 series no one should ever acknowledge.

You're going to have to be more specific.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
EDIT: ^ HA! Yep. I can imagine him thinking "YES! THIS IS THE DOCTOR WHO I REMEMBER!"

CobiWann posted:

Massie Williams is secretly Lamont Cranston, wealthy man about town...

But then who's the Shado- :aaa:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

IceAgeComing posted:

One day there will be a big budget Doctor Who film with an almost unlimited budget and a super star cast

the villain will be a giant mechanical spider in the third act

FTFY

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Missy's survival is also barely a spoiler. Did anyone even buy that she was actually dead?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I will say one idea that I'm pretty sure is going to disappoint everyone here if true, but was the first thing I though on seeing that trailer: Maisie Williams is probably playing Clara. She's wearing the orange spacesuit that Coleman's shown in earlier in the trailer, and while she doesn't sound especially Northern, that 'old man' crack would be very in character.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

With the steady rate at which Big Finish produces stories and me only up to A Thousand Tiny Wings

Stop posting and listen to it, man!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

Lucie Miller has really grown on me, and I was a little upset at the weird pseudo-departure she has at the beginning of season 4, long before her actual departure. It'll be awhile before I finish the season yet, but it was so reminiscent of the way that Charlie left that I think the Eighth Doctor is going to develop a complex.

Oh, jeez, if you think that's gonna gently caress him up psychologically...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

One Swell Foop posted:

I'm still a little jealous of people who get to watch The Prisoner for the first time.

...gently caress it, I'm gonna watch Hammer Into Anvil for the 5th time. (I know it's not one of the 'important' ones, but I fuckin' love that episode. Number 6 just destroying a man because of that man's amorality.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Why were there several distinct groups of robots trying to find the Promised Land?

You really expect one of the Master's plans to make total sense? I assume she started off recruiting robots, then hit on the idea of Cybermen, realised weeks later that the robot thing was still going... then slung her parasol over her shoulder and shrugged.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Wait, that was Tracey Childs?!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

Tim Farron looks like Mr Saxon.

Phew, no risk of him becoming Prime Minister in this timeline, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ice Warriors has an 'official' animated reconstruction though.

• Locked thread