Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Are we really recommending that people jump onto the new series with Deep Breath and not The Eleventh Hour now? I mean I know it's the start of 12's run but it feels like a terrible jumping on point to me. There's just so much continuity between it and 11's run, besides it being a way worse episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Haha, I always forget that the hotel in that episode traps everybody in a never-ending maze and confronts them with their greatest fear, but with Rory it just goes,"gently caress it, here's the exit, please leave because I can't do anything that would even give you pause."

To be fair that's because it's trying to make people turn to whatever they have faith in, and Rory doesn't have faith in anything to that extent so scaring him would be pointless.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

The concept of a person who can blend into his surroundings is also just horrifically wasted on the medium of audios. Even in terms of personality, he could be picking up body language and expressions from the people around him....

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Espilae posted:

drat straight, that's probably why Moffat gave Matt Smith an extra 300 off-camera years for them to play with

Well, yeah. Matt Smith's got what, a good 50 or 60 years of Big Finish audios in him? They're going to need all the narrative space they can get to fit those in.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Jsor posted:

Is "The Science of Doctor Who" any good? Usually these types are specials are either fascinating or horrible. Netflix is recommending it to me. I'm a bit concerned it's all going to be about ill-conceived half-cocked hypotheses about how a TARDIS could work.

I liked it! It's Professor Brian Cox and he's very good at both knowing what he's talking about and making it sound interesting. It also has some cute bits with Eleven, if I'm remembering right.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Holy gently caress this is everything I ever wanted from Big Finish, I love River and Eight is my favourite doctor.

Jsor posted:

Didn't River say she went and met all of his prior incarnations anyway? I recall some line where she said she met all of them, but did something to make them forget about it.

(E: Of course, this directly contradicts her telling 10 that his eyes are "the youngest she's ever seen them" but I swear I remember this)

This is from the "River Song's Diary" collectible thing in that terrible PS3 game they released that stars River and Eleven. There's a page in it about her going and meeting all his incarnations and writing little comments about them and mentioning that she was using some alien gas or something to make him forget. And yes it does contradict the show although I guess you could argue that she's lying to him. She doesn't go and meet Ten in that page about her meeting all the previous doctors so maybe she knew that he was Ten when he first met her and that when she met him as Ten that was meant to be their first meeting?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I assume that now that they have the ability to use both characters and both actors have agreed to voice things for them, the next thing they'll announce is the River Song/Jack Harkness series I've been waiting for them to make for years.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

No love for The Natural History of Fear? It's definitely in my top few favourite Eight/Charley audios. Brilliant science fiction, brilliant performances, very clever script taking advantage of the audio format.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Speaking of the Missy reveal in the Toxx thread, something I found kind of interesting was that that Doctor Who iOS game with the gem matching released a level with her just after the episode aired, except the names of the moves she had made it sound like she was a robot. I'm pretty sure their team was told that she was a cybercontroller or something like that while they were making the level.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

I would actually like it if the Doctor basically took her hostage for a few episodes and they were grudging companions until she betrays him inevitably and gets away. Give them a chance to be friends again for a little bit.

So Scream of the Shalka?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

I was specifically thinking like 7 and Klein from the audios. I've never seen Scream, is it any good?

It's terrible but I remember enjoying the Master in it. It's also interesting to watch while keeping in mind that this was supposed to be the Official Continuation of the story before the revival happened.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I bet it'll be Jenny. I mean, I guess she's not recurring but she did make an impression and her exit in the show sets her up better than any other character there is for BF audios.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Is that the season with the weird orientalist yellow peril episode?

Also the episode where Sherlock Holmes can't work out how someone could have possibly gotten into a securely locked office... that has an open balcony.

But I don't think there's any point in anyone getting worried or angry about something that's still just a rumour.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Seasons of Fear comes after Chimes of Midnight, although I don't think it would make a whole lot of difference in terms of character or plot or anything.

But yeah, you're listening to their very first attempts from decades ago. It's true you probably have listened to enough to decide that listening to ALL of them isn't worth it to you, but you'd have to be slightly nuts to want to listen to all of them in the first place. Just skip to the good/interesting ones or listen to particular doctor/companion arcs that interest you enough to get you through the worse episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

on board. instantly.

By the way, if you like River you should check out the ebook that stars her. It's effectively an episode of Doctor Who if she was the actual star of Doctor Who and the writing/plot is pretty reasonable. It's written in first person and I think it does a decent job of portraying her, it's also interesting to see her being written by someone who isn't Moffat.

You already know about the upcoming Big Finish River audios, right?

• Locked thread